recommendations for GoW/Avalon Organics/natural cleansers/moisturizers?

solidgoldsolidgold Registered Users Posts: 1,485 Curl Neophyte
Hi all--
I would like to transition to all natural skin products. I currently use CeraVe hydrating cleanser then moisturize with Glycolix UltraLite Facial Cream. I want to move far away from silicones, bad alcohols, and other fillers.

Can you help me choose a few products? I'm 35, my skin tends to be a little dry, and I occasionally break out around the chin. I have age spots that I would like to treat, and I'm beginning to get fine lines and wrinkles.

I have been reading up on GoW products but don't know which to try. I also saw Avalon Organics, Alba, and Aubrey Organics cleansers/moisturizers at my local health food store. I just am not sure where to start! I would like to keep my routine simple and as inexpensive as possible, so recommendations are most welcome.

TIA!
Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97

Comments

• solidgoldsolidgold Registered Users Posts: 1,485 Curl Neophyte
    Bump?
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
  • mmassagemmassage Registered Users Posts: 200
    Now this is not going to be helpful, I just wanted to say, you are not alone. :)

I just got back from Whole Foods with Aubrey Organics Green Tea and Ginkgo Cleanser, Toner, and Moisturizer with SPF 15. I was completely unprepared when I got to the facial care isle, so I just grabbed some for normal skin. Now after reading a few reviews about the products I think I am going to take them back. Plus, I accidently returned with the wrong Avalon Organics shampoo (I was going for the Olive and Grapeseed one in your siggie), which was the whole reason I went!!!
    Medium texture, low porosity, high density
    sulfate/'cone free since 5/09.
    Cleanse/Cowash: JCCC/Suave Ocean Breeze, GTTTT
    Condish: Giovanni 50:50
    Leave In: CJCALI, GDLI, CJCCCC
    Stylers: BRHG
    Fotki: http://public.fotki.com/mmassage/
  • alacurlalacurl Registered Users Posts: 1,199 Curl Novice
    I bought the trial size of the GoW orange castile cleanser awhile back and really liked it. But I recently got another bottle, and it has lumps in it. Not scrubby particles, but lumps. I don't think it's supposed to be that way; the first one wasn't. Maybe the heat during transit affected it? Anyway ...

Vitacost.com and iHerb.com have lots of natural products with customer reviews. The reviews might help you decide on something, even if you don't buy from them.
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
    mmassage wrote: »
    Now this is not going to be helpful, I just wanted to say, you are not alone. :)

I just got back from Whole Foods with Aubrey Organics Green Tea and Ginkgo Cleanser, Toner, and Moisturizer with SPF 15. I was completely unprepared when I got to the facial care isle, so I just grabbed some for normal skin. Now after reading a few reviews about the products I think I am going to take them back. Plus, I accidently returned with the wrong Avalon Organics shampoo (I was going for the Olive and Grapeseed one in your siggie), which was the whole reason I went!!!

mmassage, let me know which you decide to try and how you like it!
    alacurl wrote: »
    I bought the trial size of the GoW orange castile cleanser awhile back and really liked it. But I recently got another bottle, and it has lumps in it. Not scrubby particles, but lumps. I don't think it's supposed to be that way; the first one wasn't. Maybe the heat during transit affected it? Anyway ...

Vitacost.com and iHerb.com have lots of natural products with customer reviews. The reviews might help you decide on something, even if you don't buy from them.

alacurl, do you like castile cleansers better than other cleansers? I'm afraid it might be too heavy, but I've never used castile soap before.
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    After researching a ton of products, I think I am going to go with Mychelle products. I'll let you know how it goes after trying them for a few days.
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Registered Users Posts: 2,551 Curl Neophyte
    I have been using and loving products from theorganicpharmacy.com.

But they are very expensive, so I just discovered this site http://www.100percentpure.com and I am thinking of trying them when I run out of my current stash.
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Registered Users Posts: 2,034
    I'm loving Silk Naturals. I reviewed them a few weeks ago in this thread:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=80063

You can order samples for a good price and the sizes are pretty generous.

Aubrey Organics is also great - I liked the Sea Buckthorn line when I tried it last summer.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • alacurlalacurl Registered Users Posts: 1,199 Curl Novice
    solidgold wrote: »
    alacurl, do you like castile cleansers better than other cleansers? I'm afraid it might be too heavy, but I've never used castile soap before.

Castile cleansers do leave a sort of film on my skin. It sounds bad but doesn't bother me. I have an oily T-zone, and it doesn't make it oilier or anything.

I would say my two favorite cleansers are GoW oil cleanser and the (normally non-lumpy) GoW orange castile. GoW has some others that look good -- can you tell I'm a cleanser junkie? :D I like the GoW small sizes for trying them out. If you don't like them, you aren't stuck with a lot of product.
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
    I've been using the Mychelle Dermaceuticals products for a couple days now, and so far I really like it. I purchased the fruit enzyme scrub, cleanser, toner, and pumpkin moisturizer. All of them smell nice and clean, but not too strong. The cleanser seems much less harsh than other cleansers I've used (clinique, neutrogena, nicole miller, etc.) I love the toner spray!! Partially because of the nice moisturizing results, and partially because I love being able to spray on my toner and not apply it with a cotton round. The pumpkin moisturizer is perfect: not too heavy, but very moisturizing. I have my normal that-time-of-the-month breakout (which isn't really all that bad), but it seems to be clearing up much faster than usual. So far, I'm impressed!

Just FYI: If you are interested in checking out the Mychelle products, there is a chart on their site that allows you to pick the correct product line up for your skin type.
    I just got Avalon Organics Skin Nourishing Antioxidant Intensive Vitamin C Sun Aging Defense Hydrating Cleansing Milk (whew) from my local health food store. Will report back after a few days of use.

On a side note, I tried Jess the Mess's amazing face wash routine (thread at http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=69399) which works quite well! My skin felt clean and hydrated. My only complaint was that I had to carry a couple of bottles and jars into the bathroom when I wanted to wash my face, so I'd rather save that for a special occasion scrub rather than an everyday thing.
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Ok, so I've been using the Avalon Organics Cleaning Milk for about a week. I still use my old Cerave in the shower and I follow both cleansers with some Mary Kay night solution and Glycolix UltraLite Facial Cream, trying to use the old stuff up. My skin has been breaking out a little, and my question is, is it because the AvO cleanser doesn't agree with me, or is it because I'm alternating between a natural product and my older silicone-filled products? Should I keep the AvO and hope my skin gets better or try something else?

Thanks, experienced natural skin care curlies.
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
  • SheBrosSheBros Registered Users Posts: 332
    I, too, am slowly replacing my chemical laden skin care products with more natural products. I'm really liking the 100% Pure line. I'm currently using their Organic Coffee Bean Caffeine Eye Cream, mascara and tinted moisturizer. The eye cream smells amazing along with the mascara. The tinted moisturizer doesn't have any scent. As I use up products, I'm hoping to replace with 100% Pure products.
    3B Fine (lots of it), Normal to High Porosity
    Low Poo: Elucence Moisture Poo, Renpure Organics
    Co-Wash: Tresseme Naturals, Giovanni TT
    Rinse Out: Biologe Cond Balm, SS Deeply Decadent Moisturizing Treatment
    Leave-In: Oyin Hair Dew, CJ Beautiful Curls,
    Stylers: SS Curl Enhancing Jelly, SS Firm Holding Styling Gel, Jessicurl RR and CC, BRHG, Biolage Gelee
    Extras: ACV rinses every couple of months
    The 100% Pure line looks great! I wish it was available locally.

I bought the gel version of the AvO Vitamin C cleanser and the renewal cream. The gel cleanser creates a little lather, and the renewal cream is quite heavy but it feels so good on my skin a perpetually chapped lips. I'll report back after some repeat use of the gel to update whether it's drying or okay for dry skin, but so far, I like the gel cleanser and renewal cream combo!
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Reviving this thread: I just ordered some trial sizes of MyChelle products! I've been using the AvO Vit C line: alternating the gel cleanser with the cream cleanser and the renewal cream with the moisture plus lotion with SPF, but I've been breaking out. I found a 'cone in the moisture plus lotion. So I can't wait to try the MyChelle. I also ordered trial sizes of the men's stuff for my BF.

Mmassage, are you still liking your MyChelle?
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    I received my MyChelle samples today!
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
  • cassiecurlscassiecurls Registered Users Posts: 27
    i had been using neutrogena's visibly even cleanser to help with the dark spots, etc on my cheeks and to brighten my skin tone. then it just stopped being effective, was too harsh, and i was unhappy with the ingredient list (it has sulfates and all other sorts of chemicals). so i found a more natural alternative that does the same thing: burts bees radiance facial cleanser with royal jelly. the main thing that works is the soy ingredient they both have. i love the burts bees cleanser. its expensive, around 10 bucks or so and kind of small, but totally awesome, and i noticed a difference the first time i used it. it really brightens your skin, makes it super soft, and rinses off clean. i had a bad experience with burts bees in the past, but this has been a great product, and now consider it my hg cleanser.
    3b, mixture of fine and coarse, low porosity
  • AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Registered Users Posts: 2,364
    I received my MyChelle samples today!

Solidgold how did you like the Mychelle? iherb has a sampler pack for VERY cheap. I'm planning on a GOW purchase but you know the thing about a PJ is you can never stop with just one thing! LOL!
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/
    I like MyChelle. The sampler pack is great--you get a bunch of things to try. I got full sizes of several things after sampling. I found that vitacost.com's prices are about 20-25% less than MyChelle's website. My Whole Foods carries some but not all of the products for maybe 10% less than MyChelle.

I got the anti-aging sampler but I like the white cranberry cleanser the best, and the creamy pumpkin cleanser the next best. I think the cranberry cleans the best but the pumpkin is so creamy and moisturizing. I like the ultra hyaluronic serum, the tropical skin smoother scrub and the deep repair cream. I don't think the brightening stuff actually brightens. There's another thread around here somewhere on how to make your own vitamin c serum as a cost-saving measure, which I will do after I use up my current product from MyChelle.

I got the sensitive sampler pack for my mom for the holidays!
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
  • AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Registered Users Posts: 2,364
    I like MyChelle. The sampler pack is great--you get a bunch of things to try. I got full sizes of several things after sampling. I found that vitacost.com's prices are about 20-25% less than MyChelle's website. My Whole Foods carries some but not all of the products for maybe 10% less than MyChelle.

I got the anti-aging sampler but I like the white cranberry cleanser the best, and the creamy pumpkin cleanser the next best. I think the cranberry cleans the best but the pumpkin is so creamy and moisturizing. I like the ultra hyaluronic serum, the tropical skin smoother scrub and the deep repair cream. I don't think the brightening stuff actually brightens. There's another thread around here somewhere on how to make your own vitamin c serum as a cost-saving measure, which I will do after I use up my current product from MyChelle.

I got the sensitive sampler pack for my mom for the holidays!

Thanks!!!

I think this is going on my list for my next skin care purchase. I'm going to get some GOW now but this sample pack is next. It's really inexpensive!
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file