Lightening the skin

zeldagoblinzeldagoblin Registered Users Posts: 575
Hi everyone,

I have a constant hairy top lip, and bleach regularly, but recently I have been getting a dark patch there, some hyperpigmentation I think from all the bleaching making the skin more sensitive to sunlight. I already wear factor 50 on my top lip to prevent this, but it hasn't helped, making me wonder if it might be scarring not hyper pigment.

How can I lighten the skin in this area? I have been using bio oil for a couple of years but I believe that stuff is over rated and a bit of a scam, it has done nothing at all for me.

Does lemon juice work? If so does it need to be exposed to sunshine after application or does it work on its own?

Unhappy about this, I bleached to avoid a dark shadow under my nose, seems I'm going to have one no matter what I do :crybaby:
Here are my curly pics, password is fuzz

http://public.fotki.com/zeldagoblin/

But then again, too few to mention...

Comments

• JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    I heard lemon juice helps, not sure about the sun thing. I used to get a dark area right after bleaching and it faded. I didn't think that was good for my skin, all the chemicals and all and I figured eventually that dark area might stay longer and longer. I don't recommend bleaching hair in general.
  • shorticurlzshorticurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    Any sort of strong exfoliating product should do the trick. I used this:

http://www.skindoctors.com.au/shop_product_detail.php?id=81

in the months leading up to my wedding to reduce some sun spots. It didn't completely get rid of them but they did fade. You also need to keep on using strong sunscreen.
    Fine, very porous 3a
    Boycotting all brands owned by L'oreal
  • zeldagoblinzeldagoblin Registered Users Posts: 575
    Thanks for the responses.

Josephine, I do agree that bleaching isn't good, I can tell as my top lip skin is far poorer in health than the rest in terms of dryness and condition, but I have yet to find another practical and affordable solution.

Many say depil creams do not cause regrowth to be darker, but I contend strongly with this. i did a test spot on one arm years ago, and that spot always grows darker now, even after all these years. I tried waxing but because my hair is so dark, i see the hair before I can get to it, as the regrowth is under the skin, so I get a 5 o'clock shadow and irritation too.

Lazer is far too expensive, and as I understand it, doesn't work permanently, and hair can regrow within as little as a year!!!

My GP put me on the contraceptive pill DIanette, which specifically helps dark hair growth, but I went sort of loopy on that and had to stop lol!

mdrb, I didn't think of exfoliation. I do it once a week at present, I will up that, even if just for the top lip.

Other that that, a miracle?

Lemon juice may help, I will try that...maybe if I am out in the sun it might help lighten the hairs a bit too. :thumbup:

So last week I got an awesome acne spot on my top lip, just to make me look even more wonderful lol! I found something called Blemish Dots at Morrisons, so I stuck one on for the entire afternoon yesterday and another overnight. Well, this morning, I have a white patch! It faded a little over the morning, but it is definitely lighter than the rest. I wonder what the lightening factor is, here are the ingredients...

aqua, acrylates copolymer, sodium hyaluronate, alcohol denat, propylene glycol, salicylic acid, peg40 hydrogentated castor oil, melaleuca alternifola, butane 1.3 diol, vitis vinifera.

Maybe the salicylic acid has a lightening effect?

By the way, my spot is very much diminished too!

• The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    butane? on your face? dooood
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    Hydroquinone.
    I know butane sounds mad but its not the gas, from what Ive read its some kind of organic plant lipid, very little info about it though.

• aricurlaricurl Registered Users Posts: 304
    I have been heavily researching natural cures for hyperpigmentation due to acne. I've been trying various things, but here is what I've learned and tried thus far.

-Lemon/Lime juice.
    -Turmeric powder (I try to incorporate this with the others)
    -Potato juice
    -Tomato (I've tried tomato paste, worked well)
    http://public.fotki.com/aricurl/
    PW: twelve

My Routine.
    Weekly Cleansers: Co-Wash - Suave Coconut or Yes to Cucumbers and Trader Joe's Nourish Spa. Giovanni 50-50 poo on scalp only.
    Moisturizers: Mix of Giovanni Direct with AO Honey Suckle; KCKT; Jamaican Castor Oil, water.
    Sealers: My whipped raw shea butter/oil blend.
    Scalp Oil: Jojoba, Rosemary, Horsetail, Burdock Root, Aloe Vera Gel
    Hairstyle: Protective.

Henndigo occasionally.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
    i understand!! i want to lighten dark spots. i had a prescription for tri-luma and it WORKS! i but it from www.mdmexskincare.com but it's a bit of a hassle to buy from them. i tried a product from www.makeupartistschoice.com specifically for lightening. i'm not sure if it's really working. i can say i bought a sample of the lightening cleanser and while it's a good cleanser it doesn't do any special lightening. i think the lactic acid peels help a lot too!! i also agree that bio-oil isn't that great. the "key" ingredient isn't high on the list if i recall correctly. good luck!
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    Is there a reason you don't wax or thread? The wax strips are pretty easy. If you don't want skin pulled, you can get threaded, it hurts but you get used to it and there are not chemicals or products involved. I do both.
    Well, thanks everyone so much, lots to try here! I have tried waxing Josephine, but the colour of my hairs are so dark that, while they grow back under the skin I can see the dark regrowth before it is long enough to do aything with it, so it's like having a 5oclock shadow. I get irritation too, because my hairs are pretty thick.

Aricurl, how long do you leave the stuff on your skin? Food on my face, hubby will find that hilarious lol!

If I don't get any joy from the food stuff I will try the tri luma, thanks so much everyone. xx

• KinkyKeeperKinkyKeeper Registered Users Posts: 963
    Bio Oil worked for me pretty. I co sign trying waxing or plucking and it should eventually make the hair grow back in sparser as well becuase the pulling action will cuase the hair follicles to stop producing hair.
  • aricurlaricurl Registered Users Posts: 304
    Well, thanks everyone so much, lots to try here! I have tried waxing Josephine, but the colour of my hairs are so dark that, while they grow back under the skin I can see the dark regrowth before it is long enough to do aything with it, so it's like having a 5oclock shadow. I get irritation too, because my hairs are pretty thick.

Aricurl, how long do you leave the stuff on your skin? Food on my face, hubby will find that hilarious lol!

If I don't get any joy from the food stuff I will try the tri luma, thanks so much everyone. xx

LOL!! I wait until my fiance goes to bed or when he leaves in the morning. I leave it on for at least 30 min. The lime/lemon juice is safer for appearances. It will only leave a slight sheen.
    http://public.fotki.com/aricurl/
    PW: twelve

My Routine.
    Weekly Cleansers: Co-Wash - Suave Coconut or Yes to Cucumbers and Trader Joe's Nourish Spa. Giovanni 50-50 poo on scalp only.
    Moisturizers: Mix of Giovanni Direct with AO Honey Suckle; KCKT; Jamaican Castor Oil, water.
    Sealers: My whipped raw shea butter/oil blend.
    Scalp Oil: Jojoba, Rosemary, Horsetail, Burdock Root, Aloe Vera Gel
    Hairstyle: Protective.

Henndigo occasionally.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file