Shampoo help

GeminiNapsGeminiNaps Posts: 9Registered Users
Hi all, I'm new to this site and have loved, loved, loved all the advice I've been seeing so far. I have seen a lot about conditioners, as far as good ones to try and what not. But I haven't seen much about shampoos.

I've been transitioning for about 3 months now, but I've been wearing my hair in cornrows for the summer. But I will be taking them out soon, and wanted to get some advice on some good shampoos to use while transitioning. I currently have the Pantene Relaxed and Natural shampoo, which I didn't really like while using relaxers, but I figured since I bought it I might as well use it up.

But I know that I need to find something that will work well with my newgrowth and relaxed ends. My hair is currently a little past my shoulders and I plan on transitioning until all the relaxed hair is out and I have a good length of my new kinky, curly hair.

So some advice would be greatly appreciated! Unfortunately, I don't know what type of hair I have, but if I had to guess I would say somewhere in the 3-4 family.

Comments

• krazy coilskrazy coils Posts: 148Registered Users
    Hi Geminnaps,

While you're transitioning you definitely want to take care of your hair so look for a non-sulfate shampoo or one that has a milder sulfate. Sulfates dry the hair and cause breakage. I would also recommend looking up sulfates and co-washing on this site.

I currently use Jason's Aloe Vera Shampoo which contains Cocamidopropyl Betaine which is a mild sulfate because I still use some products which containe cones and I also use a shampoo bar
    Last Relaxer: February 2009
    Big Chop: September 8, 2009
    Shampoo: Still Searching
    Conditioner:Nature's Gate Aloe Vera and Pomegranate Sunflower
    Deep Conditioner: Elucenc MBC
    CurrentProducts: Qhemets AOHC and OHHB, Oyin Hair Dew,Hemp Seed Oil, Castor Oil, Amla, Brahmi

Fotki:http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/
    Youtube
  • krj1908krj1908 Posts: 80Registered Users
    I am nearly 15 months into my transition and tried both low-poo and no-poo (low sulfate/no sulfate) and my hair has responded best to products that have no sulfates. I use Deva's No-Poo which can be found at Ulta and of course online. If you are one that is looking for a lather, no poo will make you think you aren't doing anything but it is washing your hair. It also doesn't create the build up that eventually happens after you do a co-wash for a while.
    GeminiNaps wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm new to this site and have loved, loved, loved all the advice I've been seeing so far. I have seen a lot about conditioners, as far as good ones to try and what not. But I haven't seen much about shampoos.

I've been transitioning for about 3 months now, but I've been wearing my hair in cornrows for the summer. But I will be taking them out soon, and wanted to get some advice on some good shampoos to use while transitioning. I currently have the Pantene Relaxed and Natural shampoo, which I didn't really like while using relaxers, but I figured since I bought it I might as well use it up.

But I know that I need to find something that will work well with my newgrowth and relaxed ends. My hair is currently a little past my shoulders and I plan on transitioning until all the relaxed hair is out and I have a good length of my new kinky, curly hair.

So some advice would be greatly appreciated! Unfortunately, I don't know what type of hair I have, but if I had to guess I would say somewhere in the 3-4 family.
    Mixed Hair 3B / 3C
    Relaxer-free since June 2008
    Shampoo: Deva Care No-Poo, Deva Curl Low-Poo and Kenra Clarifier
    Conditioner: Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner or Joico Moisture Recovery; Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Styling: Mixed Chicks Leave-In, Deva Curl Set it Free, Deva AnGell, Deva Curl Mist-er Right
  • GeminiNapsGeminiNaps Posts: 9Registered Users
    Thanks so much for replying, I appreciate the input and last night I actually was looking up about low-poo and no-poo choices (all this is VERY new to me, I never knew it existed, lol) so that helped too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file