flaxseed gel is the bombdiggity....

Comments

• wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    definitely take pics Soonermom.

Aloe is moisturizing, I believe.
  • CarolynSCarolynS Posts: 3Registered Users
    I bought from BB on etsy yesterday. Very anxious to try the flaxseed gel!
    I'll let you know how it turns out for me.

3a thick CG
  • curlprocurlpro Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi girls, I am on like three FSG posts now and I can't keep track of what is going on where, so if I repeat myself I am sorry. I made the original plain FSG, it was so shiny but needed a little hold. I added 1/4 tsp. of epsom salts 2 cups of distilled water, 1/2 cup of flax seeds, then I strained it and added agave nectar 1 tsp. and 3 tbs. of aloe gel whisked it together. The aloe gel took the snotty texture away immediately, and the three other additives added hold. Next batch I am upping everything by the original measurement except the flax-water ratio and see what happens. I'll let you know next week. Aside from needing a little more lift this stuff is great, soft shiny hair and I can change the fragrance every week if I feel like it. This week my EO's are lemongrass, heavy rose, lavender blend, so fresh and light.
    Cynthia
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    dailywavy wrote: »
    goobernut wrote: »
    Yeah, that's usually a sign of letting it go to long. Its like those directions, "sauce will thicken as it stands."

Runny egg whites in pan = snot in the bowl. HA!

ditto on the snot.

wavy wonder- your hair just keeps getting more and more amazing!

I LOVE FSG!!! the stuff is awsome! can't get enough! i love that it is so cheap too! great for tight budgets!
    i've played around with it quite a bit and now sell it at my little towns farmers market! (its silly though, i am bad at buisness and hate to charge a lot so i really don't make much money, but it is fun, and i have gotten a lot of girls converted to CG, and nc.com! i think that is why i do it!)
    but i add a little bit of everything- aloe, agave nectar, apricot kernal oil, mag sulfate and a little grapefruitseed extract and citric acid, and if you add a little xanthan gum and use a hand blender (or if you are making a big batch use the blender) to whip air into, that way it is easier to distribute and it holds the bubbles better and you don't have to use as much!

if anyone has questions on add ins or amounts let me know! i can help ya!
    DW are you selling anything else? Whipped butters or anything?
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

curlpro-
    would love to hear how it turns out.
    I made three batches tonight for my guine(sp?) pig's, one original and one with double the ingredients and split them up, so they are supposed to try them both and compare. Both are curly but looser, one coarse one fine. One has shiny hair and the other coarse and dull. One blows her hair straight sometimes and the other never blowdry's. The blowdry tester is trying curly and straight, blowout and just let dry. They will report back next week. I am going to try the new formula with more agave and mag and we'll see how it survives a busy Saturday in the salon, with thundersoorms every day at 4pm with 90% humidity (just another day in the sauna that is FLA,). I'll let you know how it fares in the PM Saturday.
    Cynthia
    maybe I can get someone to take a pic of my head, omg but I need a haircut soooo much we'll see.
    take a picture of your own head. I'm dying to see how it turned out!
    I so need a haircut, if my hair wasn't so shiny and bouncy after a full day behind the chair in the salon, I would never show it. Ignore how flat the top is it's usually about an inch shorter. The recipe for today was the increased magnesium sulphate (epsom salt) 2 teaspoons to two cups distilled h2o, 1/2 cup flax seeds added two teaspoons of agave nectar and two globs of aloe and essential oil 1/2 dropper lavender/lemongrass. Et Voila!
    SO SHINY,
    Cynthia
  • JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users Curl Novice
    Just for the heck of it, I decided to try this again to see if it would work better. Nope. My hair is shiny but it's also very, very flat, with no bounce or body at all. It turns my 3a curls into a 2, literally. It did that when I tried it several times in the past, too. Ah well!
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
    it looks great curlpro.
    sorry it's not working for you Jleighs:::(
  • soonermomsoonermom Posts: 73Registered Users
    oohhh... so pretty curlpro.
  • dailywavydailywavy Posts: 249Registered Users
    [quote=Jess the Mess;1082618![/quote]DW are you selling anything else? Whipped butters or anything?[/quote]

yep! i sell a version of FSG, a curl refresher and a couple butters, a shea version and mango version.

its getting near the end so i am just trying to sell the rest off now. but i have converted i think 10 girls now to CG and nc.com! no one has even heard about the method here!
    2b, 2c / f / ii / medium-high porosity
    Vo5-never again, i now can plop!
    CG since may 09, and hubby LOVES the new wavy 'tude!
    :thumbleft:
    products: CV SB, burt's bees more moisture conditioner, co-wash suave naturals coconut condish. FSG, shea hair butter, hair refresher
    Thanks ladies, I owe it all to you!! I will let you know about my test subjects results as well. My boss, coarse and like 3a, and my neighbor, fine and thick and wavy. I am giddy with anticipation, it's like a mystery cliff hanger (LOL)
    Cynthia
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    [quote=Jess the Mess;1082618!
    DW are you selling anything else? Whipped butters or anything?[/quote]

yep! i sell a version of FSG, a curl refresher and a couple butters, a shea version and mango version.

its getting near the end so i am just trying to sell the rest off now. but i have converted i think 10 girls now to CG and nc.com! no one has even heard about the method here![/quote]
    Did you find it easy to whip stuff up or was it inconvenient? I have been experimenting with a conditioner base and want to order some whipped soap base too and have thought that selling them at our farmers markets could be fun...or tons of work...
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• soonermomsoonermom Posts: 73Registered Users
    How are you suppose to store this stuff? Mine is starting to smell yucky already. :crybaby:
    ohhhh that's not good sooner.
    As of late last week i have decided to store most all my products in the fridge. One of my products went bad and i don't want that happening again.
  • ashbwoodashbwood Posts: 2Registered Users
    I am new to CG and have not had great luck with some products. I would like to try to make my own FSG but did not see the recipe. Can you share?
  • dailywavydailywavy Posts: 249Registered Users
    [quote=Jess the Mess;1082618!
    DW are you selling anything else? Whipped butters or anything?

its getting near the end so i am just trying to sell the rest off now. but i have converted i think 10 girls now to CG and nc.com! no one has even heard about the method here![/quote]

Did you find it easy to whip stuff up or was it inconvenient? I have been experimenting with a conditioner base and want to order some whipped soap base too and have thought that selling them at our farmers markets could be fun...or tons of work...[/quote]

well, the fsg type stuff is the hardest since i make a new batch each week, and it really takes all weekend to "recover" my house since my little boy likes to "help" so i think next year i am just going to sell produce.

the butter is more worth while for me since i can make it at any time in the week, and it isn't as perishable. so i think i will do different butters next year too.

but its hard too since i live in an area where people are really conservative to the point where they don't even want to pay for what things are actually worth. my fsg is $5 and most are saying its too much. my butters average 3.50$ for 1 oz containers and 6$ for two oz containers and they just complain and say they can get big bottles at the store for way cheeper. but they don't realize they are jsut getting water and silicone.
    sorry to vent! so pretty much just butters and produce next year.

ashbwood wrote: »
    I am new to CG and have not had great luck with some products. I would like to try to make my own FSG but did not see the recipe. Can you share?

this is what i think is the best link so far, this is a great place to start!

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=61208

there is a slight curve, but its easy and fun and quick!

good luck!
    2b, 2c / f / ii / medium-high porosity
    Vo5-never again, i now can plop!
    CG since may 09, and hubby LOVES the new wavy 'tude!
    :thumbleft:
    products: CV SB, burt's bees more moisture conditioner, co-wash suave naturals coconut condish. FSG, shea hair butter, hair refresher
  • ashbwoodashbwood Posts: 2Registered Users
    Can you use flaxseed oil instead of flaxseed?
  • DominoDomino Posts: 287Registered Users
    Nope, you have to use flax seeds to get some sort of gel. It's the seeds that release some kind of mucilage when boiled. Oil just isn't the same thing.

HTH :blob2:
    :king: Priestess Brigit of the Moonlight Oracle in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :king:

Type: Mix of 1c/2c/3a , fine-ish medium, ii/iii, normal porosity
    Lenght: U-Shaped BSL
    Goal: Wavy and clumpy waist length hair
  • curlysue21curlysue21 Posts: 5,219Registered Users
    What kind of hair texture do you have?? I want a cut like your initial photo but I'm worried I have much thicker hair and it'll look poofy. Yours looks great!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/c, medium/high porosity, medium/coarse texture
    Current HG: Kinky Curly errythang, GVPCB, LALSG

"I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

curly sue--
    I have fine/medium texture, BUT a lot of hair. I think you could pull it off. You just need a great stylist who is good with layers.
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 158Registered Users
    What is everyone using with their FSG? Anything else over or under it? I made a batch last weekend (my first!) and it seemed great - nice and light feel, no crunch and nice shine. But the hold wasn't very good and it got frizzy after a while.

I tried it once alone and another time with a dash of JCCC but got the frizz and weak-ish hold both times. Tons of curl though!

2a/3a, fine, highlights and lowlights, shoulder length. Chicago suburbs. 8-)
    Lo-poo: Terax Miele or Collagene, Unite Eurotherapy, CJ Daily Fix
    Co-wash: Suave Tangerine or Strawberry
    Rinse-out: Terax Crema, TIGI MM or Oatmeal/Honey, Biolage Cond Balm, CJRehab
    Leave-In: Beauticurls LI, LOOC, GDLI
    Stylers: Terax Silk Foam, KCCC, Komaza CHP, Aquage Megagel, ABBA Pure Finish
    SOTC: Tweek,CJ Beyoooticurls Leave-In!
    DT: JCWDT, Ouidad, Curl Fix

http://public.fotki.com/Shortstack66/
  • LadyBeeLadyBee Posts: 42Registered Users
    My mom made some for us - so I'm trying it for the first time.
    Gotta say, I'm not impressed. Maybe I didn't use enough? I just used a couple finger-fulls (what I could get out of the jar). My hair is about between my shoulder blades. Should I be really glopping it on?
    I see tons of threads on how to *make* it...but how do I USE it?! (lol)
    Wavy/2B - Protein sensitive...(I think) - almost 2c!
    Attempting CG as of 8/09
    Co-wash - VO5 Cucumber/Kiwi, GTTT
    Condish - Mop Mixed Greens
    Stylers - JCRR, CCSS, BRHG
    Trying to figure out - CJ CCCC, AG: Recoil, FSG, and KCCC.
    Want to try - KBB

event.png
    Lady bee and shortstack.
    Not sure I'm using it properly, but this is what i do.
    I usually use the FSG with another curl creme and I use BRHG on top of it. FSG to me seems more like a curl enhancing product, but needs hold (like BRHG) on top.
    I wonder what other do?!??
  • solidgoldsolidgold Posts: 1,485Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    LadyBee, yes, you glop it on. I use probably 3 or 4 quarter-sized palms full to scrunch it in to sopping wet hair. It creates clumpage. This is one product where you can't use too much. I don't use a leave in under it, and maybe sometimes I use a gel on top. Since your hair is similar to wavy wonder's and mine, I think you'll like the results! Try it again with a lot and let us know what you think!
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
  • LadyBeeLadyBee Posts: 42Registered Users
    Thanks, wavywonder and solidgold. I just used it over a smidgen of AG: recoil. But nothing over it. I'll try again - I want it to work, cuz it's cheap! :)
    new haircut Tuesday - sooo nervous!
    Wavy/2B - Protein sensitive...(I think) - almost 2c!
    Attempting CG as of 8/09
    Co-wash - VO5 Cucumber/Kiwi, GTTT
    Condish - Mop Mixed Greens
    Stylers - JCRR, CCSS, BRHG
    Trying to figure out - CJ CCCC, AG: Recoil, FSG, and KCCC.
    Want to try - KBB

event.png
    Thanks! I thought maybe I'd need gel over it but wasn't sure. I've heard such great things about BRHG and just got a sample of it - I'll have to try it with my FSG tonight!

shortstack wrote: »
    Thanks! I thought maybe I'd need gel over it but wasn't sure. I've heard such great things about BRHG and just got a sample of it - I'll have to try it with my FSG tonight!
    I don't know if you added magnesium sulphate and Agave nectar you will get a gel like crunch that is easy to scrunch out, and will not frizz. I think you have to use an ounce of fsg for every 4 inches of hair, you can't use too much, I promise.
    Cynthia
    Thanks curlpro - I used straight flax seeds in boiling water, didn't have anything else to add to it. I'll have to try some agave nectar. What other FSG additives might help cut frizz?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file