CurlTalk

The Best Drugstore Hair Products

Okay well we all know that there are some expensive products that we want, but how about HG-worthy drugstore products? Share your secret, and affordable, weapons here! :)
ICONATOR_bb56511c0b5e53f5d21289611d11a822.gif

Comments

• onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    1. HONEY! In your condish, DTs, stylers. A little goes a long way, nevermind that it's already CHEAP! And it tastes good.

2. Suave for co-washing.

3. Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Original

4. Aussie Moist (this has a mild cone in it, but I just low-poo sporadically and haven't had a problem).
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • ElithiaElithia Posts: 297Registered Users
    V05 conditioners ROCK for my hair. My favorite is the lavender, but I haven't been able to find it it about six months (:() so I've been using their Passion Fruit Smoothie.
    Proudly CG since 8/10/06 - the story of my hair!
    Type: 3a/b, very thick
    Length: almost BSL wet
    Products: Suave coconut conditioner, coconut oil, Totally Twisted gel

Don't forget to be awesome!
  • CopaseticCopasetic Posts: 222Registered Users
    Giovanni Direct Leave-In conditioner is awesome! I also love Live Clean conditioner for wavy and curly hair, and 100% pure shea butter.
    co-wash: exact vanilla
    rinse out: tresseme naturals
    leave-in: giovanni direct leave-in
    stylers: kccc + he totally twisted mousse + coconut oil to sotc
  • CeallachgCeallachg Posts: 60Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love Giovanni Direct Leave-In! I really like Herbal Essences Set Me Up and Totally Twisted gels, too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/2c, fine, thick, normal porosity/elasticity

Current routine: co-wash & detangle with AIA Coconut CoWash then RO. Experimenting w/AG re:coil, DCVF & All-Nutrient Hair Proteinizer.
    Love: AO GPB, KCCC, PBH Gelatine Goo, ANHP, CNPF
    Like: GDL, FSG, honey, HETT, JCNS, DCVF
    Hate: glycerin, mineral oil
  • smo6767smo6767 Posts: 409Registered Users
    I just bought a Neutrogena hair repair mask, and my hair feels great! It's really powerful- you only have to use a little bit and put it on for a few minutes! But I mean, what fun is not having to struggle for your hair? :icon_smile: I also bought a vanilla hair serum- I forget the exact name and of course I'm too lazy to go look at the new bottle, but the brand had something to do with the environment and it had an x at the end... that serum really calmed down my frizz.

ETA: Found the names...

Neutrogena triple moisture deep recovery hair mask
    Organix vanilla hair serum

Both great!
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users
    Suave Naturals Conditioner. I love them all. For fine hair, the Coconut one is higher in protein. $2 for a "family size" bottle.

L'Oreal Vive Pro... for curly/wavy hair (conditioner). A little higher end, floral scented, and great as a rinse out or leave in.

LA Sport Wet Look gel (clear and colourless). Very nice indeed, and I got a huge bottle on sale for $2.

EcoStyler Krystal Ice gel (I've actually only tried Sally's knock off, Proclaim Crystal Ice, 32oz. for $2 on sale, but Sally's isn't a drugstore. Love the stuff! It feels very producty at first, but all of a sudden it seems to melt right into my hair.) Also a great, higher protein product especially well suited for fine hair.

If I were lucky enough to be able to go down to Boots the Chemist (the Queen's English for drugstore), Boots Curl Creme. This is my HG for multi-day hair (after the first day), refreshes my curls so well after lightly dampening them that I no longer feel the need to wash my hair when it isn't dirty.

Homemade flaxseed gel comes from my kitchen, rather than a drugstore product, so it's even cheaper. My hair loves this stuff, probably even more than [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]Kinky Curly Curling Custard[/buylink] or Proclaim Crystal Ice, and if you redampen your hair you can reactivate the gel.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,654Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee.
    Suave Naturals Conditioners.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • bettinflabettinfla Posts: 389Registered Users
    Where do you get the Aussie 3 Min. Miracle Original -- I love that stuff -- that's in the Peach color container? I haven't seen it --- only Aussie in Purple containers. It is CG, isn't it????
    Homemade FSG, CK, KCCC and BRHG. Co wash w/Suave, or soap bars (occasionally) or Come Clean (Kinky Curly).
  • ellageorginaellageorgina Posts: 1,511Registered Users
    smo6767 wrote: »
    I just bought a Neutrogena hair repair mask, and my hair feels great! It's really powerful- you only have to use a little bit and put it on for a few minutes! But I mean, what fun is not having to struggle for your hair? :) I also bought a vanilla hair serum- I forget the exact name and of course I'm too lazy to go look at the new bottle, but the brand had something to do with the environment and it had an x at the end... that serum really calmed down my frizz.

A lot of fun! Lol. ;)
    I use Garnier Fructis Repair and Shine and I absolutely adore it!! :love1:
    3b-med texture-med porosity
    CG from 21-05-09 2nd try!
    Conditioners: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, Aubrey Organics GPB Protein
    Stylers: CJ CCCC, CJ AFG, KCCC
    Gel: Lavera Organic

My hair LOVES CURL JUNKIE <3 :love10:
    www.fotki.com/loopyloops.

• curlywurly92curlywurly92 Posts: 1Registered Users
    am finding it incredibly hard to find the right product for my hair without spending much money! but have discovered that any shampoo with sodiumlaurethsulphate in makes 3b hair fluffy and can take away alot of moisture! so i stick to NakedShine shampoo and conditioner, natural and works a treat
  • ResRes Posts: 2,911Registered Users
    Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee
    Special FX Curl Booster Fixative Gel
    Got2b Spiked Up Gel
    Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Fortifying Conditioner
    3A/B - low-normal porosity - med to coarse texture

Shampoo - GTTTT
    Co-Wash - As I Am Coconut Cowash
    RO - GVP Cond. Balm, Tresemme Naturals, Yes to Carrots Nourishing, AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cream Headdress
    DT - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholestrol, SM Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment
    Stylers - BRHG (old formula is my HG, but the new one has silicones)

Trying out - MGA Sculpting Gel, LA Sports Gel, Got2b Spiked Gel, Got2b Glued
  • NicaCurlsNicaCurls Posts: 164Registered Users
    Suave or V05 conditioners
    Coconut oil
    Aloe vera gel
    Got2b Kinky Curl Defining Mousse
    Herbal Essence Body Envy or Set Me Up gel
    Herbal Essence mousses
    Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee
    Yes-to-Cucumbers Leave-in
    Satin sleep caps
    Garnier Triple Nutrition Fortifying Cream Conditioner
    L'oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss Conditioner
    KY or generic equivalent
    Goody version of Denman brush
    Pacific Northwest 3a/3b, medium all across the board, possibly porous.

Low-Poo: Trader Joe's Refresh
    Co-wash: V05 Tea Therapy Chamomile, Giovanni TTTT
    Rinse-out: GVP Conditioning Balm, Yes to Tomatoes, EO Chamomile & Honey
    Leave-in: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab, Sonoma Soap Company First Crush
    Deep Treatment: Jessicurl WDT
    Gels: BRHG, Biotera
    Stylers/Mousses: Komaza Coconut Pudding, Curls Goddess Glaze
  • onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    bettinfla wrote: »
    Where do you get the Aussie 3 Min. Miracle Original -- I love that stuff -- that's in the Peach color container? I haven't seen it --- only Aussie in Purple containers. It is CG, isn't it????

Yes, it is CG. It used to come in a white bottle, and my Target still has some of the old packaging on the shelf. Now, the Original and the non-CG Deep one are both purple, but the CG Original is still available.

I found mine at Target, but I've also seen it at WalMart and Meijer and Kroger (I think the last two might be restricted to the Midwest area...).
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • tinahtinah Posts: 1,195Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Suave coconut conditioner
    Generic KY

I love both of these! And a special shout out for GVP conditioning balm which is a sally's product but at a drugstore price! WOO!
    CG - 3/27/09
    3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
    Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
    Styling: lube and BRHG
    I just bought a Neutrogena hair repair mask, and my hair feels great! It's really powerful- you only have to use a little bit and put it on for a few minutes! But I mean, what fun is not having to struggle for your hair? :) I also bought a vanilla hair serum- I forget the exact name and of course I'm too lazy to go look at the new bottle, but the brand had something to do with the environment and it had an x at the end... that serum really calmed down my frizz.

A lot of fun! Lol. ;)

Haha, well I guess we waste lots of money with all the products we buy, but hair is a part of life... and a very big part of some of our lives hehehe :wink:
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Nexxus Emergencee for protein. Expensive but lasts a long time because you don't use much each time.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • katherinelovesevryonekatherinelovesevryone Posts: 230Registered Users
    aussie moist
    herbal essences conditioners (HH NYF and LTR)
    loreal hydragloss for damaged hair

i basically will go for anything with a good and thick creamy texture. my hair seems to love that
    3c/4a fotki [update 4/18/09]
    blog
    approaching BSL
    BC 4/26/08! Last relaxer April '07

:wav:
    aussie moist /suave coconut conditioner (cowash/leave-in)
    long aid activator gel
    random condish+honey+olive oil+cocnut milk+whole milk+conditioner (DT)
    finger combing>>>>Tangle Teaser
  • laurabeth33laurabeth33 Posts: 1,443Registered Users
    Aussie Volume Gel (looooovvvve this stuff)
    Aussie Moist Poo (super gentle but still enough umph to get whatever I'm pooing to remove out)
    2b w/ some 3a
    product tester geek
  • RupertsWifeRupertsWife Posts: 492Registered Users
    I have to throw a shout out for castor oil! I have been reading about this stuff for some time, and recently picked up a bottle at Walgreens for like $3. I mixed it with my Giovanni Direct Leave-in and am having the best second day hair of my life.
    It feels a bit stickier than I'd like it to but there's ZERO frizz so I'll deal with the way it feels, most people aren't allowed to touch my hair anyway.

Some others I really love are:
    HE Hello Hydration conditioner
    IC Fantasia Gel
    Biosilk Rock Hard Gelle
    Suave Green Apple Conditioner (co-wash)
    Aussie Moist!

3b/c mix; mixture of fine, med. and coarse texture with med-high porosity

Current HG routine: Tresemme Naturals conditioner; AG Fast Food LI; AG Recoil; CJ CIAB = no crunch, lots of body and awesome definition :thumbup:

:rolleyes: Dutchess Daydreamer of the Desert Sands in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    :rolleyes:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcrazycurlz21%2F" class="Popup
    password:rupert
    I've heard a lot of praise for Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee- why is it so popular?
  • BrigitteDBrigitteD Posts: 4Registered Users
    I was just wondering the same thing. What is it even for?
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users
    Ohh wwwoow.. castor oil! Dangnabit!!!!!! I went right to the store today and didn't get any castor oil.. I wanted to try it since I have been hearing good things about it.. sheesh.. went to the store spent almost 100 bucks and came home without one of the MAIN things I went out for... UGH! I hate that.

Eh.. guess I will pick up some tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder Crazycurlz21!
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • cakj99cakj99 Posts: 575Registered Users
    most people aren't allowed to touch my hair anyway.

this made me laugh. i'm always telling my husband, "don't touch my hair! it's drying!" lol

thanks for this thread, i think i'm going to print it out for the next time i swing by walgreen's... :cheers:
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,654Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It's a strong-hold gel and IME, it plays well with many different hair products (i.e., no clumps/globs of product, no flakes, etc.) It helps to keep curls formed and dries very hard, but scrunching out the crunch is easy and I am left with soft curls that last all day without frizz. I held out for the longest time trying this product and now that I have it's definitely HG for me.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
    curls2grow wrote: »
    It's a strong-hold gel and IME, it plays well with many different hair products (i.e., no clumps/globs of product, no flakes, etc.) It helps to keep curls formed and dries very hard, but scrunching out the crunch is easy and I am left with soft curls that last all day without frizz. I held out for the longest time trying this product and now that I have it's definitely HG for me.

Dang, I was just at CVS the night I started this thread. Now I need to add that and a Denman brush to my list for next time I go... and thanks! :thumbleft:
    *LC* wrote: »
    most people aren't allowed to touch my hair anyway.

this made me laugh. i'm always telling my husband, "don't touch my hair! it's drying!" lol

thanks for this thread, i think i'm going to print it out for the next time i swing by walgreen's... :cheers:

Anytime- I thought it might be a big hit, and I'm kind of surprised nobody thought of it sooner!
  • WiggilyhairWiggilyhair Posts: 779Registered Users
    Naked Naturals Smoothing shampoo. (sulfate-free) Rite Aid and CVS.

ETA: A tip for the Biosilk gel: I like to use just a pea-sized drop with whatever gel/curl cream I'm using. Biosilk alone is way to "strong" for me.
  • OperaCurlsOperaCurls Posts: 1,101Registered Users
    Guano: Castor oil is also good for hair growth. I dip one end of a Q-tip in the bottle and brush it onto my eyelashes every night before bed - it totally works!!! They actually look better when I DON'T use mascara.

Innyhoo, drugstore products, right.
    LOOB, though it seems to have fallen out of favor on the boards. I've been using it 3-4 days a week for the past two weeks and have had no major issues with dryness or buildup, just big, chunky, shiny ringlets with minimal frizz. It's the only drugstore styler I've adored, not including conditioners. And it's CHEAP!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fopera-curls%2F" class="Popup (I cut my own hair)
    Pacific Northwest girl, color-treated fine 3B, med-low porosity

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!
    opera_curls- That's funny, because when you said that I imagined someone waking up with gigantic eyelashes and being really freaked out... hehehe...
  • OperaCurlsOperaCurls Posts: 1,101Registered Users

A lot of fun! Lol. ;)

Haha, well I guess we waste lots of money with all the products we buy, but hair is a part of life... and a very big part of some of our lives hehehe :wink:

You are sick, sick people... let's form a club! Oh wait, we already have one.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fopera-curls%2F" class="Popup (I cut my own hair)
    Pacific Northwest girl, color-treated fine 3B, med-low porosity

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!