CurlTalk

Placenta in hair products

On sort of an emergency basis, I picked up some hair cream that contains placenta earlier. It was the best stuff at the store I was at (limited selection). Felt comfortable enough to purchase it figuring it probably wasn't human placenta. The idea it may be human puts me off a little.

As far as my limited research has taken me, most often sheep placenta is used.

Googled about it, wondering how common products like this are and found this article on it.
According to EWG's Cosmetics Database, placental extract has a moderate hazard rating. The placenta produces loads of progesterone, estrogen and other hormones, which are beneficial to a developing fetus, but possibly not so desirable in a personal care product. Here's a scary study: Four girls between one and eight years of age developed breast or pubic hair two to 24 months after starting the use of estrogen- or placenta-containing hair products. The development of breasts and pubic hair regressed when they stopped using the products and no other cause for early sexual development was found.
Then there's this alarming article that's saying the higher incidence of breast cancer in the African American population may be due to products mostly used by black woman that contain hormones and it covers the brand that I picked up among some others that are fairly popular.
“It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity

Comments

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    Thanks for posting this (though the third link isn't work for me)! Seriously scary stuff. I don't think I'm using anything that has that, but I'll be double-checking every product in the house!

I do remember reading an article a few years ago that recommended placenta (I think from cows?) in hair products because it would make hair extra soft.
  • sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
    Oops, I broke the third link with bad html, it should be working now!

I don't think too many products contain placenta, but hopefully that list (where the formerly broken link led to) is pretty thorough.

What I picked up is called Hask Placenta Leave In Styling Cream, its main boast is containing placenta.

Often times research studies are conflicting, and I'm wondering how having hormones coating hair can get them into one's sytem, but its given me enough trepidation for now. I'll probably use it once to see what kind of effect it has with my hair.
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
  • katherinelovesevryonekatherinelovesevryone Posts: 230Registered Users
    i use that same brands deep treatment. my hair loves it but now i guess ill just use the two littel packets i have left and never repurchase :sad3:. moisture for my hair is great and all, but breast cancer would not be a good look.
    3c/4a fotki [update 4/18/09]
    blog
    approaching BSL
    BC 4/26/08! Last relaxer April '07

:wav:
    aussie moist /suave coconut conditioner (cowash/leave-in)
    long aid activator gel
    random condish+honey+olive oil+cocnut milk+whole milk+conditioner (DT)
    finger combing>>>>Tangle Teaser