Hello 2's and Starter Help

truwavetruwave Posts: 39Registered Users
I've been wanting good healthy hair for a while now and eventually came upon the Curly Girl handbook which led me to this site.
After colouring and flat ironing my shoulder length hair, I've decided to grow it out.
I started going CG 4 days ago. Here is what I did: sulfate poo, mayo/egg hair mask for about an hour, conditioned with LVPNG then an ACV rinse then used a small amount of LVPNG as a leave in. I plopped for 15 min then air dried (which took about 2 hours to completely dry) and used no gel (because I had none) and my hair was super curly/wavy and super super puffy/frizzy (because of the lack of gel I assume)!
Anyway, I loved the curls that day(must work on the frizz though).
I'm on day 4 now and I must admit the results aren't so pretty, my hair feels gross, probably from too much leave in. I'm going to give it a couple of weeks and see how it goes. I'm trying to hold back the reigns from experimenting too much at first, even though I want to try EVERYTHING!
This site is fantastic, so much info from people actually using the products they recommend!
I look forward to my hair growth CG journey and sharing it with you.
Will post pics soon.

Looking for a twin
Hair Type: 2b, porous, low elasticity, medium/thick, dry.
Co wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
Condish: LVPNG

Trying:
DT: K-Pac
Styler: Live Clean Strong Hold Gel

My hair doesn't like CG so far, but I have faith!
2b, dry,high porosity, medium texture, high density

Low Poo: Giovanni 50:50
Co-Wash: No Poo, Suave Naturals Coconut
Condish: One C, LVPNG
Leave in: KCKT
Protein Treatment: K-Pac
DT: Heavin in Hair
Stylers: KCCC, HESMU

CG since Aug 09, I love my hair when I take the time to style it, I hate taking the time to do it.

Comments

• FriggaFrigga Posts: 42Registered Users
    Are you washing your hair everyday, or should I say co-washing? I only do about every other to every three days, and inbetween I spritz it with a homemade water, lavender oil, rose oil, and jojoba oil spray in a sprayer then plop while I shower. It does the job of perking my curls up, clumping them back up, and toneing down the frizz.Also, whenever I diffuse, I never do it until ALL my hairs dry, usually just to get the wet out so about 5 minutes TOPS. And I would think getting a gel of sorts or frizz buster (cone fee:) )may help with the frizz, but you may suffer with it until your hair readjusts.
    Sulfate free since may of 08!!
    MOD CG since July 09

2b-3a from base to canopy, Self proclaimed 2.5c,botticelli f-mii
    Hendigo head!
    lo poo: burt's bees, Dr. Bonner's
    co wash: Deva curl no poo or suave
    Condish: biologe conditioning balm
    Stylers: AG re:coil, FSG and proclaim
    Plopping...where have you been all my life?!
  • wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Also, remember there is a transitioning period where your hair will ok worse than when you first started. Greasy hair is usually a huge complaint during this period. GL and ry to keep with it!
  • DeodandDeodand Posts: 159Registered Users
    I'm always glad to see another 2B!

I seem to hear a lot of complaints about Suave Naturals, it doesn't work for everyone. Also I found the single biggest immediate difference was made using gel. The second biggest difference was starting to use deep treatments.

My curl pattern is still quite broken and disorganized a month and a half in, but I have a lot of damaged ends. I also have to wait for the pampered hair to grow in.
    2B low porosity low elasticity fine texture
    I'm not CG - tried it and failed for two years. My scalp hates it.
  • wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Posts: 2,017Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Also, remember there is a transitioning period where your hair will ok worse than when you first started. Greasy hair is usually a huge complaint during this period. GL and ry to keep with it!

Yes to this. Yes, also, to Frigga's point that you might not want/need to cowash every day. If you need to wet down every day in the shower (as I do), you might try just water washing sometimes (just give the scalp a good scrubbing, no cowash).

Finally, LVPNG is a pretty darn heavy conditioner. Depending how often you are using a rinse-out, you might want to add a lighter one to your aresenal..... or at least not use it every day.

When I started, I did a cowash and a rinse-out every single day, and it turned out that was a little too much conditioner for me! But everyone is different -- for others, that might be just right. You'll only know from trial and error, and because of the oiliness during the transition period (as your scalp adjusts), you just have to kind of wait, watch, and try.

Your hair may change a lot day to day, and you kind of have to roll with it. It's worth it, though. Good luck!

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.
  • thefossilchickthefossilchick Posts: 25Registered Users
    I don't have any more advice to add, but I also wanted to lend my support for "waiting out" the transition period. I started CG at the end of June and spent most of the summer dealing with scalp and hair adjustment issues, but now I know it was worth it. The transition phase can last a few weeks but the learning curve is pretty steep, and you'll figure out what works for you!

Good luck. Can't wait to see pics!
    2b/2c medium to coarse, medium porosity

Wash: Jessicurl HCC, V05 Tea Therapy
    Condish: Jessicurl Too Shea, AOHR
    Stylers: Naturelle Hypoallergenic Gel, Jessicurl CC and RR
    Trying to figure out plopping...:sign6:
  • truwavetruwave Posts: 39Registered Users
    I liked the way my hair turned out here, but it just takes so damn long to dry! This is after the first week of no-poo.
    The gel I used- Living Clean Strong Hold- seemed to dry out my hair, I wouldn't repurchase.
    Thanks for all your comments, I'm having so much fun!

CG since Aug 09, I love my hair when I take the time to style it, I hate taking the time to do it.
  • bak2wavybak2wavy Posts: 69Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your hair looks very similar to mine. My hair is longer and looks more coarse. I need a lot of moisture because my hair tends to be dry. I color my hair every 5 weeks to cover my pesky grays. I've been CG for over 2 years now and still experiment and struggle with consistent results, but I'm so much happier with my hair than in the past, and much more educated about my hair. Mostly I seem to do good with just co-washing, leave-in and gel. Good luck!

2 B/C Coarse Normal to High Porosity

Low Poo/Condish: CJ Daily Fix, CJ CR, CJ CA Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, CJ CA Smoothing Lotion
    Styling: HESMU, BRHG, CJ CCCC-lite, CJ CIAB, CJ AFL, Ecostyler Krystal
  • anatidaephobiaanatidaephobia Posts: 343Registered Users
    truwave wrote: »
    I liked the way my hair turned out here, but it just takes so damn long to dry! This is after the first week of no-poo.
    The gel I used- Living Clean Strong Hold- seemed to dry out my hair, I wouldn't repurchase.
    Thanks for all your comments, I'm having so much fun!

Your waves are lovely and so shiny. =)
    CG since 6/15/09 -- fine/medium texture, medium porosity

Conditioners: GTTTT, Kenra & KCKT
    DT: CJ Hibiscus Banana Deep Fix
    Styling: KCCC, KCHP, HEBE, Loma Imply
  • BrigitteDBrigitteD Posts: 4Registered Users
    I'm pretty sure I'm a 2B as well. My hair is medium texture, too!~ I haven't started CG yet because I have a shampoo and conditioner I just can't let go of, it's so amazing. :( I'm also new... so baby steps!!

It's great seeing a 2 around here as I feel there aren't that many of us on here!
  • truwavetruwave Posts: 39Registered Users
    bak2wavy wrote: »
    Your hair looks very similar to mine. My hair is longer and looks more coarse. I need a lot of moisture because my hair tends to be dry. I color my hair every 5 weeks to cover my pesky grays. I've been CG for over 2 years now and still experiment and struggle with consistent results, but I'm so much happier with my hair than in the past, and much more educated about my hair. Mostly I seem to do good with just co-washing, leave-in and gel. Good luck!

I agree, our hair is similar, when my hair is longer it definitely looks like the pics in your album (which look amazing btw). I also struggle with dryness, especially since I've really been abusing it for the past while. I had cut it really short and while it was growing out there was a time that I didn't even use conditioner! Not the best idea!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file