May I...?

McCurlyMcCurly Posts: 200Registered Users
May I jump in this forum even if I am in the beginning of my thirties?
It's just that I have a question regarding white hair and I don't know any curlies being able to answer me.

Here is it: I have dark brown 3B curly hair and since I am 26 I begin to get white hair. No grey hair; pure wite hair.
At 26 I had a pixie cut and the white hair were at the back side of my head so no worry for me.
Today I have a bit more of white hair (around 30 hairs on the front and on the side of my head) but my hair is longer and curlier.)

The white hair has another texture and structure than the rest of my hair. If my hair is 3B I would say that the white hair is not even 2A but it sticks straight out of my head exactlly like antennas (like Jeepcurlygirls said so well
:wink: ).
I plan to put henna on my hair when the white hair will be obvious but not now.

So, I don't know what I have to do now with my antennas...
If I put al of gel it follows the main structure of my hair by rolling in a curl with other hair but I have to put a lot of gel and to hope that there won't be wind or anything to disturb my curls.
It's not an option for me since I don't want to use a lot of gel and don't want to worry about it.

When people talks to me their eyes seem really attracted to my crazy antennas and it is really disturbing.
My crazy white hair goes sometimes down like the rest of my hair but than it is really longer since it is nearly straight (but not a nice smooth straight).

It's not that some of my white hair is made of another texture and structure, it's really all of my hairs.

Did it happen to some of you?
What did you do?
Why is the white hair so different?
Will I loose all of my 3B curls?
What's your advice?

Thanks for helping me

:oops:
Corkscrew 3B

Comments

• SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    I'm 54 and have only a few grays around my face. They are a wirier texture -- I think that's characteristic of grays for most people. I don't to anything special to them because my highlights make them kind of blend in.

I don't think you will lose your curls, but they might get springier!
  • MarMar Posts: 3,004Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have those damn antennae too....grrrr....I hope someone has advice!
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
  • CelticCurlsCelticCurls Posts: 558Registered Users
    Hi McCurly. Those white hairs are grays, alright. Just a beautiful, brighter silver color, which one day you might like. Women in my family go gray early. I have a 1/2 inch streak at my right crown. Mom, grandma, & sister all began to gray in their mid-20s. At 40, I am the last to go. I find that when I color my hair-- I do softer, semi-permanent color, less damaging -- it softens the texture of any grays and they blend in better. I'm not sure what henna would do, but it does coat the hair, and make it seem fuller & thicker. I believe henna lightens gray, if I recall. I haven't used it in a long time. It can be very drying.
    3B, bra-strap length
    laidback, very-modified CGer
    HG: GF Sleek 'n Shine Leave-in; Alagio
  • McCurlyMcCurly Posts: 200Registered Users
    CelticCurls wrote:
    I believe henna lightens gray, if I recall. I haven't used it in a long time. It can be very drying.

Oups. If henna is drying I will have to pay attention. Would it be less drying when used with olive oils or coconut oil?
    I am still trying to find natural henna but I don't want to end up with red hair since my hair is naturally dark brown.
    I heard that mixing henna with indigo could be good but I am not sure.

I went to organic shops (I live in Belgoium and I there are not a lof of ethnic or organice places) but they don't know anything about henna :shock:

I am still searching....
    Corkscrew 3B
  • CelticCurlsCelticCurls Posts: 558Registered Users
    I haven't used henna in at least 10 years. I used it mostly in the 80s, when 'big hair' was in. :D The henna coats the hair & makes it seem fuller. I used several different colors, but all had red tones in them. Now I just prefer the semi-permanent glaze styles that fade out gradually & have no ammonia.
    3B, bra-strap length
    laidback, very-modified CGer
    HG: GF Sleek 'n Shine Leave-in; Alagio
  • HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Posts: 907Registered Users
    It is true gray hair grows in a different texture but while most people think it's "normal" for some of us to go gray early, I've learned it's really not so, and if the texture is so different they stick out I would be concerned that those hairs are a reflection of a deficiency (or something else). So I'd like to ask you how is your health and nutrition; also, if there are any auto-immune diseases (thyroid, diabetes type II, lupus, etc.) in your family that you know of.

In my family we took for granted that premature gray was "hereditary" because my maternal grandfather started to go gray at 18. However, in his old age he developed vitiligo (which is an auto-immune skin disorder). Gradually other members of the family developed different types of auto-immune diseases, mainly thyroid and pituitary, and premature gray hair is often a "side effect" or symptom.

Stress is also a culprit because it robs the body of nutrients needed to make hair pigment. I "sprouted" a bunch of gray hairs at 28 during a separation from my first husband. Many years ago my younger sister grew gray hairs after breaking up with a b/f but they grew back color months later. I was not so lucky because I don't handle stress well and after each major bout I'd grow another patch. I also have a thyroid problem so a few years ago the gray spread out like wildfire, but since I've colored my hair most of my life I just have to do my roots a little more often now. However, instead of "antennas" I often found this rogue springs which I just plucked out. Now, except for a couple of strands on the front sides, CG has made me forget I have two different textures on my head.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    It is true gray hair grow in a different texture but while most people think it's "normal" for some of us to go gray early, I've learned it's really not so, and if the texture is so different they stick out I would be concerned that those hairs are a reflection of a deficiency (or something else). So I'd like to ask you how is your health and nutrition; also, if there are any auto-immune diseases (thyroid, diabetes type II, lupus, etc.) in your family that you know of.

In my family we took for granted that premature gray was "hereditary" because my maternal grandfather started to go gray at 18. However, in his old age he developed vitiligo (which is an auto-immune skin disorder). Gradually other members of the family developed different types of auto-immune diseases, mainly thyroid and pituitary, and premature gray hair is often a "side effect" or symptom.

Stress is also a culprit because it robs the body of nutrients needed to make hair pigment. I "sprouted" a bunch of gray hairs at 28 during a separation from my first husband. Many years ago my younger sister grew gray hairs after breaking up with a b/f but they grew back color months later. I was not so lucky because I don't handle stress well and after each major bout I'd grow another patch. I also have a thyroid problem so a few years ago the gray spread out like wildfire, but since I've colored my hair most of my life I just have to do my roots a little more often now. However, instead of "antennas" I often found this rogue springs which I just plucked out. Now, except for a couple of strands on the front sides, CG has made me forget I have two different textures on my head.

This is very interesting. My brother and sister have very little gray and they are only 3-5 years younger than I am. If I did not color my hair, I would be very gray (Yay for me! :wink: ). My mom developed vitiligo several years ago, so I guess there is a connection.
    Maudie

CO wash-Vo5 Kiwi Lime
    Regular CO-Tresemme Naturals Silicone Free
    Deep CO-Aussie 3 Minute Miracle

Shampoo-Jhirmack Silver Plus Ageless once a week
    Cream-Garnier Fructis Sleek $ Shine Leave-In Conditioning
    Gels-LA Looks Sport

Going silver-last hair color 4/10/15

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights