At home hair removal

VTmomVTmom Registered Users Posts: 2,487 Curl Connoisseur
I'm looking to find an at-home product for removing upper lip hair. I currently go to the salon and get it waxed, but would love the convenience and time-saving of doing it at home instead. What have you ladies used that is easy, gentle and effective?

TIA!
The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I LOVE this thing for removing facial hair: http://www.facialhairthreading.com/

newlowerface09092008.jpg

It's cheap, easy, effective, you can do it yourself, and it leaves you with all your skin (which waxing does not). The only drawback is that it's not precise enough for eyebrow tweezing.
  • alacurlalacurl Registered Users Posts: 1,199 Curl Novice
    I LOVE this thing for removing facial hair: http://www.facialhairthreading.com/

newlowerface09092008.jpg

It's cheap, easy, effective, you can do it yourself, and it leaves you with all your skin (which waxing does not). The only drawback is that it's not precise enough for eyebrow tweezing.

I have one of these gizmos, and it does work well. I got a little carried away the first time :toothy3: and was a wee bit sore for a couple of days, but no big deal.
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
  • VTmomVTmom Registered Users Posts: 2,487 Curl Connoisseur
    hmmm....very interesting. So it works really well, huh? It looks a bit painful, but I'm willing if it does the trick. I might have to give it a try. I'm really only interested in something for my upper lip - I don't mind tweezing my eyebrows. Thanks!

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
    VTmom wrote: »
    hmmm....very interesting. So it works really well, huh? It looks a bit painful, but I'm willing if it does the trick. I might have to give it a try. I'm really only interested in something for my upper lip - I don't mind tweezing my eyebrows. Thanks!

Well, anytime you pull out hair, it's going to hurt. Waxing hurts too...in fact, waxing hurts me more because it pulls off 4 layers of skin along with the hair.

This spring thingy is more comparable to threading than tweezing though, because you pull out multiple hairs at once, instead of just one at a time. It grabs hair really well, so it makes fairly fast work of a mustache.
  • CurlyCowgirlyCurlyCowgirly Registered Users Posts: 299 Curl Neophyte
    my mom got tired of plucking, so she just uses a regular ole' razor blade for her upper lip. She's not any hairer because of it. :laughing6:Wal-mart makes tiny 1-blades in the makeup section that you can use too...I use those on days I don't have time to pluck, and they're small enough to use on eyebrows if you really want to, though I've personally never tried them on my brows.
    Low/Med porosity, very fine, low/med elasticity & density, 3A
    AKA hard to work with hair!

Low-Poo: Kenra Volumizing shampoo, AG Fast Food shampoo
    CO: AG Ultramoist, AO GPB, Nature's Gate Aloe Vera
    Gel: GFCC mousse, HETT, Aquage Megagel
    Also: Aloe Vera juice or Alba Leave-in. Weekly ACV rinse.
    Wishlist: YTC low-poo, Elucence poo, Bioterra Curl Creme, AGEbeautiful Strengthening trtment, SS Repairing Protein Trtment, LuxyHair ext's
  • likethegumlikethegum Registered Users Posts: 494 Curl Neophyte
    That spring thing looks interesting! I use an epilator for my chin and tweeze my brows. I can't take care of my stache though, I'm too wimpy. Even tweezing it is too much for me to take! I have to get it waxed, because it's fast so it hurts less. Some day, I will get laser!
    3b/3a - CG since 04-30-2009
    fine texture, med porosity
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Co-wash:
    GTTT, Live Clean, EO Sweet Orange
    Condish: Calia, AO Rosa Mosqueta/White Camellia/Honeysuckle Rose/Island Naturals/GPB, ABBA Pure Gentle, Desert Essence Shea Butter
    DT: Usually just use one of my richer conditioners, sometimes add oils or honey
    Gels: Homemade FSG!!!, Druide, BRHG, Alba Soft Hold Style Cream,
    AOMM

experimenting with: honey, agave, oils, butters, ACV, Curls Milkshake, more conditioners

This spring thingy is more comparable to threading than tweezing though, because you pull out multiple hairs at once, instead of just one at a time. It grabs hair really well, so it makes fairly fast work of a mustache.
    Is there a trick to twisting the handles, or do you just twist back and forth continually as you move the spring up and down?

VTmom wrote: »
    Is there a trick to twisting the handles, or do you just twist back and forth continually as you move the spring up and down?

That's it, just twist and move it around. You get the knack of it pretty quickly.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    Sally Hansen cold wax
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    I use this Finishing Touch thing that I bought at Sally's. I'd seen it advertised in magazines for a while and it sounded gentle enough to use on my face. It is. I can't say that I like shaving, but this is working out well for me. I use it on upper/lower lip area and peach fuzz on my cheeks.

warning: website talks :iconbiggrin:
    https://www.getfinishingtouch.com/
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
    bumping this just to say I ordered this spring thingy a couple of months ago and I love it! It is sooo much easier than going to the salon for a wax. It's a little painful, but it is not irritating, and I can do it whenever and how often I want.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file