Doing the BC in the winter ... would that be wise?

nada101nada101 Posts: 125Registered Users
Hi Ladies,

Im thinking of doing my BC within the next month or so but as I was doing my research today I came across a site that was talking about the BC and how it is better to do it in the warmer months as the winter can be very drying to your hair.

I live in Canada and it usually starts getting pretty cold in about November with snow in December. And im thinking would it be wise to do my BC in september (fall) when it will be getting cold very soon?

What would my styling options be? because I would not be able to do wash and go's or wet my hair daily unless im at home. Also for those who have BC'd already and survived the winter months what precautions do i need to take? what products would work best for this time?
Hair Stats
Started Transition: March 2008
Ended Transition: March 2010
Transitioned for: 2 years

event.png

Comments

• drasdras Posts: 175Registered Users
    Hi nada,

I see that you are 16 months post relaxer. Congrats on transitioning so far. I too live in a cold climate - London. Infact, it can get so cold that its literally freezing. So, I understand your concern completely.

I am hoping that by November I will be able to make a small pony just to keep the cold out of my hair.

But, your concern is styling options?
    I think with 16 months of growth you should be able to pull your hair into one so you can protect it from the cold wind. Also, it might be good to get some winter hats like berets or knitted beret hats or knitted hats so you can protect your hair when you are outside. I just ordered 2 winter berets because I was thinking about winter.

http://www.newlook.co.uk/1721225/172122543/ProductDetails.aspx

I am new to this and can only tell you what I plan to do because I am yet to experience winter with hair so short. And me not being able to pull it into my old familiar ponytail will be hard. But I have come to love twists. So, I think I will rock those alot. I dont really like twists out or braid out but I love doing twist so will rock those with headbands. I also have come to love finger coils. So, I plan to do those as well. I will not be doing any wash and gos because I dont think it will be wise to do wash and gos in UK cold weather. I am sure the same applies to Canada.
    For stylying option you could even do an updo - where you pin up the back section and then do some small twists on the front section of your hair/or finger coils on the fronts and pin up the back section in an updo, That way styling wouldnt take you so long since you are just twisting/finger coiling the front only. If you choose to mix it up a bit you can do a bun. Or twist/braid/coil your entire hair. To change things up a bit you could even use different coloured headbands each day to look different.

Again, I am very new at this and am still learning about natural hair. I am looking forward to winter and really glad that I actually did the big chop now so I could learn how to do twists and finger coils on my hair. But if you dont feel like doing the big chop dont rush it. You could always wait it out until you are ready.

Also, product wise. I got some Qhemet alma and Olive heavy cream and it seems like it will be very good for my hair in winter. But you dont have to get expensive products. There are lots of products in stores that you can use to keep your hair moisturized. I am still learning but I think moisture is the key for winter hair. I wont be seeking any definition of curls in winter but instead will look for moisturizing leave in products like heavy creams and butters. I plan to spritz with water and apply creams to my twists or coils daily so as to keep my hair and the ends especially moisturized. I plan to moisturize like crazy. So, all in all I am hoping that my hair will be in better health this year that last winter. Last winter I was ill and had surgery and couldnot look after my hair and it literally dried up to the point that combing it felt very painful. So, anyways, moisture with water and heavy creams or butters is what I plan to do.

Hope I could be of some help if not, I am hoping to learn from others as well.

dras
    21 Months Relaxer Free

My album: http://public.fotki.com/dras/
  • nada101nada101 Posts: 125Registered Users
    Omg thank you for all your information. I was thinking about what i would do to style my hair and products because i hear the winter can be really harsh on your hair. I have never experienced that with relaxed hair.. my hair was fine during the winter but natural hair is a whole different thing I didnt know what to expect. So i was worried about maybe facing excessive dryness and breakage during the winter.

Thanks again for posting a response it offered great insight.
    Hair Stats

event.png
    Also I forgot to mention thanks for the link to those hats. I think I have seen the same style locally and I am going to look into getting a few. They are super cute.
    Hair Stats

event.png
  • drasdras Posts: 175Registered Users
    You are welcome Nada.

I am glad I could offer some help. I am very new at this too, since it will be my first winter with natural hair so I am still learning.

I forgot to mention that headwraps can be used as well. If you are really good at that you can wear headwraps as a style. There is a thread over in the 4a section which I read about using wraps. Here is the link:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=83620

You might have seen already not sure, so I will leave the link here.

dras
    21 Months Relaxer Free

My album: http://public.fotki.com/dras/
    Thanks again. I have done headwraps before but I am not that great at it. I will check out that link to see if i can find further information about them
    Hair Stats

event.png
  • MokahDeeLyteMokahDeeLyte Posts: 132Registered Users
    I have worn headwraps while transitioning. I think they would be great to use post BC. Plus you can also baggy under it and no one will ever know. I also bought a tam a few months back with the intention to wear it during the witner. So we will see. I am still transitioning though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file