dry scalp/dandruff not sure which

dawgrl82dawgrl82 Posts: 2Registered Users
Hey everyone!

I am sort of new here in that i have been looking at the site for all the tips for about a year but just have never really posted. I have 2b hair and have been a modified cg for about as long as i have been visiting the site. My new problem is that i went to get a hair cut today and the stylist pointed out that i have some flakes and said it was dandruff and immediately started questioning what shampoo i was using. This is the first time using this stylist because i am little new to the area and haven't needed a hair cut yet so i explained the whole sulfate free bit and she suggested that it was what was causing the dandruff.

I am not so sure this is the case because as i mentioned i have been doing this for a year and up until now it wasn't a problem. I have made some changes to my routine. i had a failed stint with the loreal sulfate free line which I couldn't finish cause it made my hair feel gunky and had the feeling that i needed to wash my hair everyday. so i switched to la coupe shine and smooth silky conditioner using suave to co wash every other day and i shampoo my hair once a week with giovanni tea tree tripple treat shampoo. I have also started using a new gel la coupe perfect curls define as well as a new thing for me altogether la coupe perfect curls mouse (only used on days i was my hair without the gel) . The gel is really used on my second day hair after a little spritzing from the water bottle. The hair dresser also mentioned that i may want to get rid of the gel and mousse altogether and go with a curl cream. so i am just looking for suggestions or tips to sort out the problem.

Thanks Guys!!

Comments

• anatidaephobiaanatidaephobia Posts: 343Registered Users
    Dandruff tends to be a little yellowed, so that's an easy way to tell the difference.

Regardless of whether it's dandruff or dry scalp, tea tree oil is a great treatment for it. You can add a bit to your conditioner and shampoo. They also make sulfate free poos and conditioners with tea tree oil if you want to try that instead.
    CG since 6/15/09 -- fine/medium texture, medium porosity

Conditioners: GTTTT, Kenra & KCKT
    DT: CJ Hibiscus Banana Deep Fix
    Styling: KCCC, KCHP, HEBE, Loma Imply
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users
    I don't think it is because of no shampoo. I had been shampoo free for about a year and then started having problems with a flaky scalp, which I thought was dandruff, but wasn't.
    I, still, don't know what it was. I think it may have been the conditioner I was using, but I can't be sure. Either way, I don't have a problem anymore.

I second what anatidaephobia said. Tea tree is really good for both dry scalp and dandruff.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
  • dawgrl82dawgrl82 Posts: 2Registered Users
    Thanks for the suggestions guys my current sulfate free shampoo does have tea tree oil in it. so i guess the next question will getting the actual oil help?

also i have read some on brown sugar scrubs and wonder if that might be a good idea maybe i will give it a try. if anyone has recipes that would be greatly welcomed.

but i am more wondering if the hair dresser was right about the products i use in my hair. has anyone noticed this kind of difference between a gel and a curl cream?

Thanks again everyone
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users
    I tried brown sugar scrubs and they helped a little.
    I don't remember the exact proportion of it, but I always use a tablespoon of conditioner and about the same, maybe half, amount of brown sugar. You can also use coarse sugar.
    ACV rinses also helped.
    I did a recipe that is specifically for dandruff that uses ten ounces of aloe vera and about 20 drops of tea tree oil. Only I started with 10 drops of tea tree oil. You apply it to your scalp and let it sit for about thirty minutes and rinse.
    I know I tried the lemon-aid rinse and it helped to, can't remember the proportions. I'll go look it up and let you know.

ETA-
    It's juice of one lemon (which is about two tablespoons) with usual amount of conditioner and rinse through hair.
    Note-The lemon juice could possibly lighten your hair.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file