Tyra's Transitioning! Share Your Words of Wisdom

MichelleMichelle AdministratorPosts: 742Administrators, Moderators Administrator
Tyra Banks is ditching her trademark weaves for the season 5 premiere of her CW talk show, airing Sept. 8. She will reveal her "natural hair." "For the season 5 premiere, I will be doing just that - no fake hair, I'm rocking my REAL hair. This will all be going down on September 8, 2009, which we're declaring National Real Hair Day!

NaturallyCurly wants to help her with this quest. And who better to help her than all of you. What are your words of advice? Five tips you would give Tyra as she begins her journey.

Michelle
Michelle
co-founder
NaturallyCurly.com

Comments

• *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    So is this to mean that Tyra Banks has ACTUALLY confirmed and stated outright to NaturallyCurly.com that she is transitioning to natural ?

If so... well alright! But removing a wig or weave for a day or a season is not the same thing as transitioning to natural hair.

Anyway, if she is ACTUALLY transitioning to natural hair... (which I just didn't get that impression at all from what she stated)... but time will tell.. here are some tips:

1.) Keep the hair moisturized and well conditioned.
    2.) Tie the hair down with a silk or satin scarf at night OR use satin or silk pillowcases.
    3.) Wear protective styles when possible.
    4.) ALWAYS use a extra wide tooth comb.
    5.) Detangle from ends to roots and be patient and gentle with new growth.

If she's just taking off a wig or weave for one day.. all she has to do is really wash her hair, condition it, and style it. Her people will do that for her.. But even then she still wants to make sure that they are keeping the hair well moisturized well and handled with care because the last thing she wants is any sort of breakage!
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • krj1908krj1908 Posts: 80Registered Users
    I have read that she's doing this for the show as part of the launch of Chris Rock's movie Good Hair. But I have my doubts about Tyra doing a full on transition.
    So is this to mean that Tyra Banks has ACTUALLY confirmed and stated outright to NaturallyCurly.com that she is transitioning to natural ?

If so... well alright! But removing a wig or weave for a day or a season is not the same thing as transitioning to natural hair.

Anyway, if she is ACTUALLY transitioning to natural hair... (which I just didn't get that impression at all from what she stated)... but time will tell.. here are some tips:

1.) Keep the hair moisturized and well conditioned.
    2.) Tie the hair down with a silk or satin scarf at night OR use satin or silk pillowcases.
    3.) Wear protective styles when possible.
    4.) ALWAYS use a extra wide tooth comb.
    5.) Detangle from ends to roots and be patient and gentle with new growth.

If she's just taking off a wig or weave for one day.. all she has to do is really wash her hair, condition it, and style it. Her people will do that for her.. But even then she still wants to make sure that they are keeping the hair well moisturized well and handled with care because the last thing she wants is any sort of breakage!
    Mixed Hair 3B / 3C
    Relaxer-free since June 2008
    Shampoo: Deva Care No-Poo, Deva Curl Low-Poo and Kenra Clarifier
    Conditioner: Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner or Joico Moisture Recovery; Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Styling: Mixed Chicks Leave-In, Deva Curl Set it Free, Deva AnGell, Deva Curl Mist-er Right
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You know I was wondering if it has anything to do with Chris Rock's Good Hair documentary.. I didn't read she had any connection to it or with it...but yeah.. maybe there is some connect. I know his documentary is supposed to be out this Fall.

But it doesn't seem anyone can ACTUALLY confirm if she's ACTUALLY transitioning or if she's simply not going to weave or wig up for a bit.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • PetalOfRosesPetalOfRoses Posts: 11Registered Users
    :evil3:

1. Moisture, moisture, and more moisture! Keep your hair moisturized by co-washing or spritzing it with water everyday. There is no such a thing as over-moisturizing kinky-curly hair.

2. Be sure to seal in moisture by using natural butters, creams and oils. My favorites are unrefined shea butter, extra virgin coconut oil, and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Kinky Curly Knot Today[/buylink].

3. Never attempt to comb or detangle dry hair. This is an absolute no-no and can lead to undue stress on the hair and ultimately breakage. Always detangle your hair while it is wet or damp with conditioner.

4. Avoid excessive processing of the hair through blow-drying, heat-styling and chemicals/chemical treatments.

5. Wear your natural hair with pride! If you love your hair just the way it is, others will be able to love it and appreciate it too.

http://public.fotki.com/rosemaela/ :thumbup:
  • MadelynnJaydeMadelynnJayde Posts: 1Registered Users
    okay you guys so i am 15 imma girl when ,y hair is lomng its like rebecca gayhearts but i lost control of it in like 6th grade and this stylist cut my hair short and relaxed it. i hated it. i missed my curls so for about a year now ive been growing my hair out right now it hits myjawline when curly, anytips i want my hair to reach mid boob(like my aerola) i want it to grwo faster
  • Liberated-meLiberated-me Posts: 10Registered Users
    tyra is not going natural as in no relaxer. She just is wearing her real hair from time to time....
    BC'd October 5th, 2009
    transitioned for 9 months
    http://public.fotki.com/Liberated-Me/
  • kacie_luvskacie_luvs Posts: 96Registered Users
    why is this still a sticky????
    DEALING WITH LIFE DAY BY DAY...:blob3:
    TRANSITIONG IS HARD!! BUT.I LUV MY HAIR:love7:
    HAIR TYPE:4a EVERYWHERE!!!!
    fine in the front;thicker in the back...
    Last relaxer:May 9th.09
    Currently 7 months post (going by every 4 weeks)
    in kinky twists indefinitely:santa:
  • SpookSquadSpookSquad Posts: 18Registered Users
    Hmm. I was wondering that too, and I'm new.

:confused3: "Frak!"
    - Adama, Gaius, and Starbuck

:batman: You can't take the sky from me... :headbang:
  • kurlybrownkurlybrown Posts: 136Registered Users
    A whole year later and it's still a sticky...
    :lurk:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Natural as of May 2009; 4a/3c
    Avatar Photo: Nov 10' Blow-out; Getting closer to my BIG hair goal!
    "I'm a big woman. I need big hair." - Aretha Franklin
  • SpookSquadSpookSquad Posts: 18Registered Users
    Right?! :confused1:

:confused3: "Frak!"
    - Adama, Gaius, and Starbuck

:batman: You can't take the sky from me... :headbang:
  • SailaSaila Posts: 1,212Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was wondering why this was a sticky as well. Haha. I just re-watched the episode about "Good Hair" on youtube and she mentions that Chris Rock wanted her to do this show (I think?) but also that she has wanted to do it for herself for a while.

Here's the episode in case someone doesn't know what this is about:
    YouTube - What Is Good Hair? - Tyra (Part 1)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file