Advice for public performance?

prettysinisterprettysinister Registered Users Posts: 67
Dear dancers, martial artists, gymnasts, lifters, contortionists, and anyone else who performs their athletic feats in public (or just looks damn good at the gym!):

I've been training in aerial arts for about 4 months now (static trapeze, corde lisse, and aerial fabric to be specific), and I'm running into a problem I hadn't previously thought of... performance. In front of people. Blegh.

This gives me two issues:

1) I normally never wear makeup, save for eyeliner and mascara. In my classes, obviously I don't bother with makeup at all. But now that class performances are coming up, I don't want my face to look like the flushed, sweaty mess it normally is. Any recommendations for products that will make my face look matte despite profuse sweating?

2) How are your ladies styling their hair to keep it out of their face while exercising, but still looking good? I'm tired of the big bun, or poofy ponytail, and hair sticks might fall out or get in the way when I'm on the ropes. I have a -lot- of long hair, and no idea what to do with it. Here's a picture for reference:
16gxv8p.jpg

I've played with pressed powder but the drugstore stuff doesn't hold up to 10 minutes of physical activity. Is there something else I should be looking for? I feel hopeless!

Comments

• eayeay Registered Users Posts: 14
    This is what I would do for makeup for stage shows (belly dance) outside in the summer in California's central valley (hot!)
    wash face
    apply lip balm
    apply cold cream then wipe off
    apply foundation: MAC studio tech or Dermablend
    apply blush - usually cream type
    powder face liberally with cornsilk or some other sheer powder - brush powder upward with a short fat brush with short strokes - sets foundation and blush
    apply eyeliner, mascara
    wipe off any excess lip balm, apply lipliner and lipstick. Place single layer of tissue over lips - powder.

This would pretty much stay on and in place from 9am to 5 pm with 2 - 3 sweaty 1/2 hour stage shows.

no idea what to do about hair.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fine/medium hair, medium porosity and density. Elastic, but not too elastic.

Various shades of grey and white
    4" uniform layer cut.

2c/3a

Kinky-Curly Come Clean and Knot Today.
    Shea Moisture Masque couple times a month.
  • prettysinisterprettysinister Registered Users Posts: 67
    That is incredibly useful, thank you! It's so cool that you belly dance, how long have you been doing it? I always wanted to learn how!
  • eayeay Registered Users Posts: 14
    I don't dance anymore (I hate hate hate performing and the hassle of the hustle and bustle of ren fairs (I don't WANT to be "on" for 8-9 hours) outweighed any fun I was having).
    I probably danced for about 8 years - I started taking Middle Eastern Dance classes at a YWYMCA then found a woman who led a ren fair troupe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fine/medium hair, medium porosity and density. Elastic, but not too elastic.

Various shades of grey and white
    4" uniform layer cut.

2c/3a

Kinky-Curly Come Clean and Knot Today.
    Shea Moisture Masque couple times a month.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file