does 6 weeks seem too soon

wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users Curl Neophyte
to need a haircut? I'm going tomorrow and it has only been 6 weeks. I do however feel like since going CG my hair is growing FASTER! I'm also getting touch-up. YAY!

Comments

• solidgoldsolidgold Posts: 1,485Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Before going CG, I used to get a hair cut every 6-8 weeks. Now I think I could go 8-12 weeks, but I'm trying to grow it out another couple inches. That probably doesn't help you...
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
  • wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm growing mine too. Hmmmmmm????
    When i was growing my hair out in the past...my stright days, I would so a long time in between haircuts. But now that i wear it curly , i feel i need more regular cuts. Maybe because the shape of my hair shows up more now??
  • FroggiloreFroggilore Posts: 141Registered Users
    I could easily need a trim and it's on ly been 4 weeks since my cut. I routinely went every 4 weeks when I was wearing my hair short. SO 6-8 weeks seems ok to me.
    Hair type: 2a/b, medium to fine texture, medium to high porosity (I think!)
    Routine: Occasionally wash with Lavender baby shampoo. CO wash with Garnier triple nutrition conditioner, use a nickel sized blob as a leave in, scrunch out a little water, scrunch in some aloe gel (FOTE), then scrunch in some Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee (BRHG). Plop with a backwards turbie twist for 10 min - to overnight.
    CG since 23 May 2009! (with some minor slips)
    I remember reading somewhere that curlies can go a very long time between cuts, as opposed to non-curlies (straights?). Maybe your trusted stylist can offer you an opinion on whether you "need" a cut? The last time I got mine cut, my stylist barely cut anything. When my hair was straight, my stylist cut tons of hair every cut (mostly thinning it out, because I have very thick hair) and my hair always felt better. But the last cut (my first curly cut) I really didn't notice a difference in the shape of my hair.

Does that make sense?

I say, go with what you can afford that makes you feel like you have awesome hair!
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
    yeah, it'll definitely only be a trim. I need a touch-up and i hate getting color without a cut. I wonder if I should wait another week or so....
  • LadyBeeLadyBee Posts: 42Registered Users
    When I wore my hair straight, I only went for a cut and color every 12 weeks (cheap, haha). My hair grows mad fast, but I'm trying to grow it out. I'd get to the point where my roots would be all kinds of unattractive, but I figured I was damaging it enough with the highlights - four times a year seemed enough.
    Wonder what will happen now that I'm going CG?
    Wavy/2B - Protein sensitive...(I think) - almost 2c!
    Attempting CG as of 8/09
    Co-wash - VO5 Cucumber/Kiwi, GTTT
    Condish - Mop Mixed Greens
    Stylers - JCRR, CCSS, BRHG
    Trying to figure out - CJ CCCC, AG: Recoil, FSG, and KCCC.
    Want to try - KBB

event.png
    Well, I decided to do it!!!!
    post pics, please!

I'm trying to hold out 12 weeks.
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
  • luckygrrlluckygrrl Posts: 12Registered Users
    I am so lazy about haircuts! lol

I trim my own bangs, so that's never really an issue. I've had so many haircuts in the past that I did sometimes have styles (shorter, more punk-y) that required about 6 week maintenance cuts, along with wilder colors that also needed to be touched up by then.

Right now I'm trying to grow my hair long for the first time in years and it just feels like it will neeeever grow beyond my chin! I just have to be patient. I'll really be interested to see how it grows and what extra wave I can pick up as it gets longer, since I've only experienced my hair CG at this length, having just started. :)

That's fantastic that it seems like your hair is growing faster, especially since you're growing it too!
    Newly CG as of 8/16/09! I have a lot to learn.
    2a/b, low porosity.
    Still finding a routine!
    Growing my hair (and maybe my bangs...I need some hand-holding on that one!) to see my full hair potential.
    Playing with....
    - Suave Naturals Cherry Blossom co-wash, Deva Low Poo every couple of days to ease in.
    - Deva OC condish, AnGel, SIF
    Trying...
    - Nexxus Emergencee
    - GDLV
    Waiting to try...
    Jessicurl
    CCSS, RR
    she blew it out straight and I'm not sure i like the color. I basically wanted what I had minus the highlite. I'm not sure what she did. She touched the roots up but then added a gloss at the very end to the rest of my hair. It looks WAY too light for what i wanted. I may have to go back. UGH!
    Do you think if you wash and style it yourself you might like it better? I always have to wait until I do it myself to really know if I like it or not...
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    I'll definitely wash and style it before i make any rash decisions. But as my hair stylist was getting ready to cut my hair she said, OH , you decided to go lighter? UMMM, NO. When i went in there that is not what i said. Ahhhhh. anyways, i'll probably just go back. They'll need to put the base coat all over my hair. What a pain.
  • MJLoveMJLove Posts: 70Registered Users
    Ack, I'm sorry about the bad dye experience! :( I'm sure your hair still looks gorgeous, but it can be so frustrating to not end up with the color you asked for. Hopefully your stylist will take care of it... sounds like she misunderstood, or had a moment of utter craziness! Hang in there!

I also understand the frustration of hair growing fast! :p Been a pain for me, too. I'm tempted to go in and get my hair shaped up in two weeks, which would be week 5 for me! Hair that grows like a weed can be frustrating, haha. Short hair so pretty - plus a lot of fun - but it definitely takes more frequent haircuts, it seems! Even when I was wearing my hair straight and short, it needed a shape up much more frequently then when I had it long!
    3a, wurly girl
    loving deva angell, aohr, and mill creek botanicals jojoba poo

I've been going to this salon for probably 3 years so I totally trust my hair stylist and the colorist. we just were on different pages when we were talking about the color. Grrr. What a PAIN!

Oh and MJ-=- your hair looks awesome. I personally don't think you need a cut.... but then again, people probably would have said I didn't either;)
  • anatidaephobiaanatidaephobia Posts: 343Registered Users
    I'm really lazy about going in for a cut, but when I get it in my head that I need one I NEEEEEEED one. It's like a fixation.

Last time I got it cut (about a month and a half ago) I went to see a curly stylist for the first time. He told me I didn't need to come back until early December unless I wanted to keep it short. I think APL is where I'm heading so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
    CG since 6/15/09 -- fine/medium texture, medium porosity

Conditioners: GTTTT, Kenra & KCKT
    DT: CJ Hibiscus Banana Deep Fix
    Styling: KCCC, KCHP, HEBE, Loma Imply

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file