3 weeks on CG progress... with pics :D Plus, questions!

MJLoveMJLove Posts: 70Registered Users
Hey everyone! :)
I just wanted to share with you my progress on a modified CG routine. My hair has sprung up a lot! It seems like it's been getting curlier every day. I'm using Brocato Curlkama, Brocato Volumizing Tonic and AG Bigwigg. All of these were used on me by my stylist and seem to be working well for me! The Curlkama has amodimethicone in it, but I haven't had any problems with build up. I do a low poo once every week, and it seems to be taking care of it!

Here is where my hair started:
curlyprogress1.jpg

... and three weeks in!
curlyupdate3.jpg

I've been getting a ton of ringlets on my canopy, and they all bounce up to the top of my head! (That's the mess you see up there, haha. Also, mind the weird orange patches in my hair; the overhead kitchen light seems to be playing tricks on my hair color!) Having a little bit of frizz, but with the dewpoints I've been having here on the SE Texas Coast, I've decided to just embrace it. :) I hope my hair continues to curl up!

My only annoyance so far is the fact my haircut is growing out so fast. It's been only three weeks and my hair has grown quite a bit. :( My neck keeps disappearing more and more, haha! Hair cuts can be expensive, so I'm hoping my hairstyle grows out gracefully. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I also have a question for you ladies. I flat ironed my hair today because I needed a break from all the early morning showers, and I'm wondering if doing so will destroy all the progress I've made. Do you think my curl pattern will be okay? :( This is the first time I've flat ironed since going CG, so I'm hoping I didn't damage it too much! I love my hair curly, but waking up every morning to shower and style it can be a drag! I needed some sleep-in time this week, so the iron came out, haha. :)
3a, wurly girl
loving deva angell, aohr, and mill creek botanicals jojoba poo

Comments

• anatidaephobiaanatidaephobia Posts: 343Registered Users
    Your hair is looking lovely. =)

Keeping hair looking sharp short is much more difficult, I find. You have to go for more regular haircuts that way. I flove your cut, so I think it's worth it but only you can really say.

I don't know what using the flat iron once will do to your hair. The extreme heat does damage the cuticle of your hair but having read a lot of experiences here it appears the level of damage is totally individual, so you might be just fine flatironing once a week or once a month or you may not. I guess you'll see soon. Did you use any protective product? Most of those are chock full of silicones, unfortunately, so options may be limited.
    CG since 6/15/09 -- fine/medium texture, medium porosity

Conditioners: GTTTT, Kenra & KCKT
    DT: CJ Hibiscus Banana Deep Fix
    Styling: KCCC, KCHP, HEBE, Loma Imply
  • sexyjacksparrowsexyjacksparrow Posts: 439Registered Users
    Looking really great!!
    [FONT=&quot]UK curly - mostly 2c[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Going back to basics![/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Happily using a mixture of sulphates, cones and CG products.
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Permanently undecided whether to cut or grow![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Currently loving:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Lush I Love Juicy shampoo
    Charles Worthington frizz smoothing conditioner[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Superdrug coconut & almond intensive conditioner[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Montagne Jeunesse avocado & cherry bark mask[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Umberto Giannini curl gel
    Boots 'pink' curl creme
    [/FONT]
  • wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    wow, it's gorgeous, and I thought it was gorgeous before hand;) it's so full and look at all those ringlets, especially so close to your roots. So jealous!!!
    I would think using a FI once wont do much damage, but not sure.
  • solidgoldsolidgold Posts: 1,485Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    MJLove, I have hair envy! Gorgeous curls.
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
  • DeodandDeodand Posts: 159Registered Users
    Your hair is wonderful - I think you are almost a 3!
    2B low porosity low elasticity fine texture
    I'm not CG - tried it and failed for two years. My scalp hates it.
  • luckygrrlluckygrrl Posts: 12Registered Users
    Wow, that looks fantastic!

I am loving seeing some of the dramatic changes some have had. It's only been a few days for me, so I'm being patient and waiting for some new products to try, when they arrive in the mail. ;)
    Newly CG as of 8/16/09! I have a lot to learn.
    2a/b, low porosity.
    Still finding a routine!
    Growing my hair (and maybe my bangs...I need some hand-holding on that one!) to see my full hair potential.
    Playing with....
    - Suave Naturals Cherry Blossom co-wash, Deva Low Poo every couple of days to ease in.
    - Deva OC condish, AnGel, SIF
    Trying...
    - Nexxus Emergencee
    - GDLV
    Waiting to try...
    Jessicurl
    CCSS, RR
  • MJLoveMJLove Posts: 70Registered Users
    Thanks so much everyone! You guys are the best. :love2: You are all so encouraging and sweet! You all have absolutely gorgeous hair (that I have experienced tons of hair envy over!), so it's means a lot coming from you guys!

It's good to know that an occasional flat iron might not be too bad for my hair. :) I sprayed some of my volumizing tonic in my hair, since it contained a water soluble dimethicone, so I'm hoping that helped protect my hair a little bit. Anatidaephobia, you are so right about heat protectants containing tons of silicones... I had an old bottle of Dove thermal spray, and it was silicone city! I guess we'll see on Saturday when I was my hair how much damage I did. :laughing9: I miss my curls tremendously, but straight hair is nice because once I flat-iron, I'm set for quite awhile until I have to wash it again. Good for lazy days!

Also, WavyWonder, I'm totally jealous of your gorgeous, even curl pattern! I'd trade my crazy root ringlets for that any day. Hair envy! :laughing9: I seem to have the opposite condition of a lot of people in that my canopy and roots are curly, but my undersides tend to be more wavy. I even have a section in the very back that is almost straight! Multi-textured hair is definitely a challenge!

And LuckyGrrl, good luck on your curly journey! :) Definitely post pictures of your CG progress... I love looking at everyone's before and afters! So many beautiful changes. I bet your hair is fantastic!
    3a, wurly girl

• luckygrrlluckygrrl Posts: 12Registered Users
    MJLove wrote: »
    I seem to have the opposite condition of a lot of people in that my canopy and roots are curly, but my undersides tend to be more wavy. I even have a section in the very back that is almost straight! Multi-textured hair is definitely a challenge!

And LuckyGrrl, good luck on your curly journey! :) Definitely post pictures of your CG progress... I love looking at everyone's before and afters! So many beautiful changes. I bet your hair is fantastic!

It's certainly not fantastic yet! I definitely have multi-textured hair too. Barely wavy in the back, the waves don't start until a few inches anyway, curlier in the side underneath, and sometimes an almost ringlet on either side of my face. What the heck! So you're not alone in that regard. lol

Yesterday I did something styling that broke up the curls on the side of my face on accident and I ended up with two almost stick straight sections! Where I usually have the curliest parts! Eek. It was my first time using a diffuser, plus I tried a couple of other techniques and think my hair is too short for those right now. But I know I'll learn, and in the meantime I have to be happy with what I'll try and think of as a "sexy tousled look". ;)
    Newly CG as of 8/16/09! I have a lot to learn.
    2a/b, low porosity.
    Still finding a routine!
    Growing my hair (and maybe my bangs...I need some hand-holding on that one!) to see my full hair potential.
    Playing with....
    - Suave Naturals Cherry Blossom co-wash, Deva Low Poo every couple of days to ease in.
    - Deva OC condish, AnGel, SIF
    Trying...
    - Nexxus Emergencee
    - GDLV
    Waiting to try...
    Jessicurl
    CCSS, RR
  • goobernutgoobernut Posts: 2,317Registered Users
    MJ Love your hair is gorgeous! seriously. I saw your before pic in your signature, and I kept thinking, "I wish the back of my hair looked like hers!"

I am like you, my crown is almost curly, however, the nape and the hair above my ears is nearly straight. I'm pretty sure the top of my hair is a little bit more coarse and less dense than the nape and sides.

I also had a short hair cut (mainly so it would be easier to flat iron), and it has grown out so fast. I think curly hair is a little bit more forgiving when growing out a cut. You can kinda mess it up to look good ;)
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
  • MJLoveMJLove Posts: 70Registered Users
    Wow, thanks a ton Goober! ;) Your hair is totally gorgeous, too. I love your huge clumps~! I think we might be hair twins! My hair is a lot more coarse on the canopy and much finer at the nape and some under-layers on the side. When my hair comes out in the shower, I see fine strands and huge coarse strands... it's like, what do you do with hair like that? :laughing9:

I did a egg/mayo/olive oil protein treatment on Saturday, and then deep conditioned with AOHR, and even my wavy bottom layers by my ear curled right up! :) Looks like my hair appreciated the protein shot! I find my hair doesn't like wheat or soy proteins, but reacted really well with the animal proteins.

And haha, I've totally been mussing up my hair to make it look good! It's looking more like a standard bob than an inverted one, but it's still fun! At least my hair doesn't look limp and shapeless like it does when it's straight and in need of a cut, haha!
    3a, wurly girl

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file