Not shampooing problems

bpbp Registered Users Posts: 56
Okay id love to try not shampooing ( can you list the benefits, does it help with dryness and frizzness) BUT i got coloured treated hair and its a shampoo one and i find it works wonder in terms of keeping my hair colour....

so what do i do? *

I got looser curls ontop then bottom and its quite dry and frizzed and i would need shopper drug mart products but dont want to spend*

Comments

• kwillikwilli Registered Users Posts: 53
    First off, I don't know much about coloured treated hair because I only dyed my hair once about 10 years ago (I was 16, purple hair was in, and I hated it after a week). I'm not sure but I'd guess that not shampooing might actually help the colour stay in your hair. Maybe someone else has actually tried it and knows.

As for products, many of the CG friendly products on this site aren't available in Canada and some are very hard to find. I use Down Under Naturals Papaya or Kiwi Conditioner and the Extra Hold gel. The bottle is green and has koala bears on it. You can get them at Shopper's (although it's usually cheaper at Wal-mart). I think Tresemme conditioner is also CG friendly and available in Canada. Both are fairly cheap.

And the benefits of the CG routine? Where do I start? My hair is waaaaay less frizzy. My scalp is no longer flaky. I use way less money on hair products. Plus you get to freak people out by telling them you don't use shampoo!

Type: 2b/3a, fine, thick, med. porosity
    Hate: My frizzy, curl-less canopy
    Love: My natural hair colour

Still fine-tuning my routine.
    Cleansers: GTTT Shampoo, ACV rinse, Deva Low Poo
    Co-wash: Down Under Naturals Conditioner, GTTT Conditioner
    Styling: KCKT & KCCC
    Want to Try: KCCC & BHRG Combo,
    Looking For: Good protein treatment & DT
  • FidoGwenFidoGwen Registered Users Posts: 92
    kwilli wrote:
    Plus you get to freak people out by telling them you don't use shampoo!

This, by the way, is the best part!! :wink::lol:

My hair and scalp love being (mostly) shampoo free. (I shampoo once every two weeks or less.) I am much less frizzy, much more curly and tons happier!

I wish I could help you with finding products . . . :(
    I'm a 2something/3something. Started modified CG routine on 6/6/05
    Cut more than ten inches from my BSL hair on 8-10-05 and growing it long again
    But we're STILL adjusting. ;-)
  • bpbp Registered Users Posts: 56
    i can try not shampooing ill give it a month but my whole worry is my hair colour fading b/c its a stunning red and the shampoo helps a lot.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    I color mine, but also use a no poo routine. I'm a natural red who is fading with age, so I'm putting red back into it.

I haven't had any problems with color fading, which is saying something since red fades faster than the other colors.

Some of my routine is from the Devacare line, and some say that this is moisturizing for colored hair.

I also think (but can't prove) that going sulfate free would be easier on the color since sulfates should eventually strip color.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    bp wrote:
    i can try not shampooing ill give it a month but my whole worry is my hair colour fading b/c its a stunning red and the shampoo helps a lot.

I don't see how not shampooing would fade your color at all. The Red shampoo fades it less than other shampoos would, but it doesn't "strengthen" the color. It makes it last longer compared to non color-safe shampoos, but not poo'ing at all should make it last even longer.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • liv2dance4liv2dance4 Registered Users Posts: 129
    Shampooing strips colors - (regardless of using a color safe shampoo or not) so if you stop shampooing your color will be fine and last longer. The benefits are better curls, less frizz, more control...shall I go on?!!!
    3a color-treated
    Ouidad- Curl Quencher Poo/Dish, CHS Curl Keeper, Innersense Sweet Spirit and QCCC, Climate Control Gel, Tress F/X, Redken Fresh Curls Spray Gel
  • embudiniembudini Registered Users Posts: 580
    I loved cg but my hair got too greasy and dirty. :(
    PW: ihaveafotki :toothy2:
    Fotki UPDATED! 12-14-2007
    3A-3B layered-longer-than-shoulder-length-not-really-CG
    Former Tween Scene Columnist

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file