ruined my hair :[

Kitty12Kitty12 Posts: 6Registered Users
Going through middle school I had the thickest and curliest hair anyone has ever seen. And I hated it. My hair was just to much to handle. It took all the strength in the world to put it up in a pony tail. I was teased and tormented and everyone called me "poofy hair" I hated my hair, I came home crying to my mom about how I just couldn't deal with it anymore. My mom discovered from her salon about how to " relax your hair" (meaning getting it perm straightened for about 6 months) I decided to do it because i just wanted to escape from my hair. I got my hair permanently when i was 13. At first for a couple a months i enjoyed it. But then i started to realize the damage it had done. When it came time for my next appointment i refused to go in. I wanted my curly hair back. My curly hair started to grow in, but not fast enough. When i touched it, it felt rough and frizzy. Not like what my hair used to be. My hair became half curly and half straight and it looked horrible. I couldn't wear my hair down. I wore it in braids every day to school. I started to get on fish pills hoping it would help my hair grow faster. I finally got up the strength to go to the hair place and get most of my relaxer off. I'm 15 now and I got my hair relaxed february 2008. And my hair still hasnt grown back good yet. I miss my curly hair, i was too young to know how to handle it. I wish i could just wear my hair down like all the other girls. I don;t know what to do. I'm embarrassed and ashamed and i wish i had never relaxed my hair. School is starting and I don;t know what else to do except straighten my hair every night for school. Which takes me an hour or more because i just have SO much hair. I'm tired of feeling ugly because of my hair. I don't know what to do. I just want to disappear until my hair grows back.

I'm sorry this is so long.
I've tried talking to my family but i guess theres nothing they can do. They can't personally make my hair grow faster.

I just hope someone can help me. I just want to feel pretty. And not like such an outcast. My hair was so beautifully long and curly, I wish I could go back and change what i did.

Please help me.
:[ i don't know how much more I can take of this.

Comments

• michigogomichigogo Posts: 63Registered Users
    why dont you cut off some hair and then try the cg method
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hello Kitty.

Well I would love to help you out if I can. First of all do you know what type of hair you have ? That would help me out so I can get a guage on what may or may not be working with.... Or is there a celebrity that has hair similiar to your natural hair that you can tell me ?

You can learn about hair types here: http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types

Now the thing about relaxers. The ONLY way to get rid of a relaxer is cut it out period. Once a person chemically alters their hair with relaxer and permanently damages the hair shaft enough to straighten it..it's done.

So if ALL the relaxer is not off your hair.. I HIGHLY suggest you simply get those relaxed bits cut off and start fresh. Because at your age and with your frustration the last thing you need to worry about is dealing with two different textures on your hair. Once you do that.. you can start on something called the Curly Girl Method. And don't worry, it won't bug your parents because it is NOT expensive. In fact, it's cheap as dirt to do this method. Heck you could probably pay for it out of your weekly allowance.

You can learn all about that method from here:
    http://dormroomcurly.blogspot.com/2008/12/style-definitions-table.html

If you want to discuss this more.. let me know what your hair type, the length of it, and what kind of problems you are experiencing when you try to wear it down and I can try to walk you through some things to help.

And yes, I've been 15 before and I know what it's like to have hair issues. LOL! I am 31 now, happily married, and we have a kid of our own. So at least you know you will be talking to someone who's lived through the teen years and then some. :)
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • KKurlsKKurls Posts: 79Registered Users
    Marah is giving you great advice! I think we all remember what if felt like to be at your age and to be struggling with our hair, our looks, and our confidence!

My advice would be to work on getting your hair healthy and embrace your curls, whatever length they are now! Be brave, be unique, and try to have fun (yes really - fun!) experimenting with the CG method.

And take heart knowing that we all really do understand - even us old folks! :laughing8:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]CG since June 12, 2009
    Type: 3a and 3B mix, fine, high-med porosity, low density on top (uhg), medium in back...
    Co-wash: EO Rosemary Mint, Suave, or Jessicurl Cleansing Cream
    Leave-in: Jessicurl Too Shea, or whatever I co-washed with.
    Styling/Gel: KCCC, Aussie Opposites Attract spray gel, CJ Smoothing Gelee Jessicurl RR and CC
    Technique: Clip and air dry

Hair style is the final tip-off whether or not a woman really knows herself. - Hubert De Givenchy
  • Kitty12Kitty12 Posts: 6Registered Users
    Thank you guys so much.
    I'm looking into the CG method and it sounds pretty easy to do!

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out.

If i have some questions I know i can come an ask you (:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file