Highlighting techniques for curls

killercurlzkillercurlz Posts: 7Registered Users
Just looking for some opinoins on the best, most natural looking way to highlight 3B/3C hair. I have had both the foils and the "painting" technique done, and am due for another highlight but not sure which way to go. I find that the foils look more chunky and stripe like at times. And most stylists I call and "screen" about curls before I make an appointment are not familair with the painting technique. Anyone know some different techniques or have a preference??

Thanks! :)
Long 3B spiral curls ( think Felicity and Nicole Kidman back in the day)

My product arsenal: CHS Curl Keeper, Ouidad products, Kerastase Oleo Relax Masque, AG Fast Food Leave-in conditioner, Mop Top Deep Conditioner

Haircut Method: Ouidad

Comments

• liv2dance4liv2dance4 Posts: 129Registered Users
    I have curly 3/b hair and I always get foils done for highlighting and I love it. Just make sure the perosn doing your color know what they are doing and does them THIN so they do not come out stripey or chuncky looking - I mean you want them to be a little chunky right?, but not like streaks?

You can view my pics on Fotki and use that as an example if you want. The "good hair day" pics from this June were taken right after my hair was highlighted.
    3a color-treated
    Ouidad- Curl Quencher Poo/Dish, CHS Curl Keeper, Innersense Sweet Spirit and QCCC, Climate Control Gel, Tress F/X, Redken Fresh Curls Spray Gel
  • Proserpine79Proserpine79 Posts: 13Registered Users
    For some reason, I find that blonds have am easier time with highlighting than girls with dark hair. The contrast on darker hair is more stark. I think the pintura (painting) method is better for curly haired girls...especially dark curly girls. But live2dance is right...if you don't want chunky foils....ask for them thin and natural--tell them you just want to add some light/texture/dimension to your hair.
    Cowash: Suave Rosemary Mint
    Conditioner: AG Recoil Conditioner, Almond Oil, Coconut Oil
    Clarifying Treatment: Lemon Juice once every two weeks
    Leave in: AG Fast Food
    Deep Treatment: Phyto Intense Nutrition Mask, Homemade Hot Oil treatment,
    Products: LA Looks sports gel, AG Recoil

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file