Will it get better? Wavy help for newbie!

luckygrrlluckygrrl Posts: 12Registered Users
Hi all, I am new to the forum. :)

My story: I was a fairly curly haired toddler, which mellowed out to ever so slightly wavy hair. When my hair was long, I'd get sort of a wide wave every 6 inches or so, but I have no idea what it would have looked like had I not brushed it. I was always told growing up I had "thick" hair, but never knew if it meant my actual hair or the amount of my hair. I never really thought of it as oily nor dry, and certainly didn't think of myself as a curly/wavy.

Fast forward to a few years ago when I started to discover my hair has some wavy tendencies, mostly discovered wearing it in a short style that wanted to flip up unless straightened by my ears. My mom, whose hair ended up curly later in life, has been doing CG for a few years now and has fantastic loose curls. She helped me one time visiting get some serious volume and made my waves actually look great! Like I really had wavy hair, not just vaguely-maybe wavy hair! I used low poo, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-Angell-p-57.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-angell]Deva Angel[/buylink] with clips and we diffused it. I do remember thinking it felt like a lot of work, and even though I bought several products to come home and use I'm pretty fickle with my hair and didn't stick with it, and then wore it really short and straight in a variety of hairstyles.

Anyway... getting to the point... I'm growing out my hair and finally ready to try and embrace the love for my waves and see if I can actually get them to work for me! Partially because I want to see what I can get them to do, partially because I've noticed that as my hair grows and gets to about the length it's at (nearing my chin, not quite there), the back starts to feel particularly flat and lifeless. I thought surely there's a better way.

Right out of the shower using "normal" non-CG products like I've been doing, and using a flour sack towel and scrunching to get out extra moisture, my almost-chin-length hair is very wavy at the sides of my face, and wavy towards the bottom of my head in the back (about level with mid-ear). Above that point in the back-- not much. And when I wake up the next day? NOTHING! Wah! Where did my waves go?? It just looks messy and nothing resembling waves at all, most especially not in the back. Not straight, not wavy, just whatever. That's how my hair usually looks: whatever. Rather flat, though blow drying it (which I rarely do) will definitely give it more volume.

I started to go CG last night.. did one final normal shampoo with a good scalp massage, then used [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-One-Condition-p-55.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-one-condition]Deva One Condition[/buylink]er. I used a tiny bit as a leave-in after I got out of the shower, then AnGel. Waited for my hair to dry (which takes foreeever), and it looks wavy but fairly flat to my head. I wore it up in a satiny head wrap overnight (something I used to do when I'd set my hair with curlers sometimes for a real vintage look). This morning-- looked like total crap. Perhaps the leave-in conditioner was a mistake, because it looks heavy and weighed down, messy and no waves to speak of really. Just some flipping this way and that.

The attached photo is the back of my hair today at work! Unfortunately it doesn't convey how truly lifeless it looks. I have it clipped back at both sides (how I usually wear it), and the clipped parts and flipping all crazy (which is fairly "normal" unfortunately).

So I guess I'm just curious... does finding the right CG routine for you help enhance your waves over time?? Is there some hope that as my hair grows, my waves will "stick" overnight? Or get better looking? I am not a morning shower person, I never have been, and I'm also not one to spend an hour getting ready. I just hate this no-waves-when-I-wake-up thing, so I'm hoping that going CG over time will help. I would be okay with at least diffusing it, but don't even have a diffuser yet.

Also, how do you figure out if you need protein? I was a little puzzled that my hair was SO lifeless with only a pea-sized amount of leave-in conditioner and AnGel. I also can't quite determine whether or not I'm a 2a or 2b, but I think b. My hair seems fairly fine but I think it's more that I wear straight across Bettie Page style bangs, so that takes a good chunk of bulk of my hair out of the picture (and I won't be growing the bangs out). I do know it's always been extremely hard to get my hair to curl with, say, a curling iron, however if I set my hair with rollers over night it keeps that curl like nobody's business. I dyed my hair for years and years (alternating professionally and at home, 2 process colors, etc), but have finally grown all but a tiny bit of it out just recently (YAY!).

Anyway, phew-- I guess I just needed to vent, maybe need some help or reassurance. Will my waves ever get better or last without a crap ton of work? Thanks guys. :)
Newly CG as of 8/16/09! I have a lot to learn.
2a/b, low porosity.
Still finding a routine!
Growing my hair (and maybe my bangs...I need some hand-holding on that one!) to see my full hair potential.
Playing with....
- Suave Naturals Cherry Blossom co-wash, Deva Low Poo every couple of days to ease in.
- Deva OC condish, AnGel, SIF
Trying...
- Nexxus Emergencee
- GDLV
Waiting to try...
Jessicurl
CCSS, RR

Comments

• wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    your hair and story remind me a lot of my hair. I knew i had a kink or sort of wave to my hair because when i air dried it I always had a weird wave in the back and sort flipped up... like you said. And when i straightened it it NEVER got straight, never. so when i found this sight i thought, heck why not try it out and i am absolutley amazed at what CG has done for my hair. Technique and figuring out what your hair needs is KEY! figuring out your texture and porosity is also REALLY important. I am a fine haired wavy...my hair looks to about the same texture as yours. My hair stylist has always said i have fine hair but a lot of it!
    Usually fine haired wavied need protein. One way to find out of you need it ... is to just try it!
    also wanted to add.. yeah , it's a lot of work, like you said, but so was straightening my hair....I have way more better hair days now then before.

here is a picture way pre cg. Just to show what sort wave i had. I probably let my hair air dry this day...
    IMG_8103.jpg
    you can sorta see the wave in this one.

IMG_8977.jpg

now fast forward a year and a half...
    this was me first day cg
    025.jpg
    and then now....
    IMG_5627-1.jpg
    so yeah , i think you should do it! you will be amazed at the results.
  • luckygrrlluckygrrl Posts: 12Registered Users
    Holy cow! I would never think that was even the same person's head of hair!! How fantastic, your hair looks amazing. You're right, my hair does act a lot like yours in those original pictures, so I feel there's hope for my wave yet! Did you ever have problems with your waves sort of just turning into nothing by the next day (pre-CG)?

I am still in that state where I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the possibilities. I am a total product fiend so I don't mind trying different things but it's still a bit daunting. I think my hair probably could use some protein, since it's definitely fine or fine-to-medium, and I want to research more on that and see what are good products. I was surprised to discover yesterday in rooting around my cabinet how many things had silicones in it. I had no idea even regular ol' conditioner would have it!
    2a/b, low porosity.
    Still finding a routine!
    Growing my hair (and maybe my bangs...I need some hand-holding on that one!) to see my full hair potential.
    Playing with....
    - Suave Naturals Cherry Blossom co-wash, Deva Low Poo every couple of days to ease in.
    Trying...
    - Nexxus Emergencee
    - GDLV
    Waiting to try...
    Jessicurl
    CCSS, RR
  • wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    you will find that most conditioners containers silicone. You have to look very hard to find ones without it. Especially at the grocery store.
    As far as my hair in the morning...I can tell you NOW, that when i wake up my hair is nearly flat and straight. Almost like a different head of hair. You will hear a lot of people talk about '2nd day hair'--- where you can get a style out of 2nd 3rd and 4th day , without washing etc. I cannot for the life of me get that to work. Oh well.
    I list a lot of the products i use is my siggy. A good place to start looking for products is the swap board. Kinda find out what you want and go from there. It's all expireimentation thoguh. What works for me might not work for you and vice versa. Kathymack sells smaples also, so you can test products out before you make the big plunge to buy them.
    My favorite product right nowis Donna marie.
  • DeodandDeodand Posts: 159Registered Users
    I also used to straighten to get the flip out - otherwise I had a perfect huge flip all the way around that looked utterly ridiculous!

Your hair looks a bit similar to mine in the back - but mine's a bit longer. I haven't had second day hair either and I don't expect to. I think the part of the formula for success with CG is time, although that's the part we all hate the most, right? :tongue:

I am waiting to re-grow my heavily scissor-thinned hair which I flatironed most days and washed every day with sulfates and cones. There is much damage to be undone.
    2B low porosity low elasticity fine texture
    I'm not CG - tried it and failed for two years. My scalp hates it.
    Especially with the bangs, your hair looks a lot like mine! The back drives me crazy on my head. It probably won't once it's longer, but since it's short there's not enough length I guess for it to start waving really.

Okay, here's what I got this evening. I realize I won't be getting second hair hair anytime soon... maybe never! But for now, I still can't fathom waking up earlier to shower. lol

This was after using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-LowPoo-p-54.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-lowpoo]Deva low poo[/buylink], then One Conditioner and washing it maybe 95% out, but not using it as a leave in because my hair felt gunky this morning after that an AnGel. So instead of using AnGel, I tried the HE Totally Twisted mousse (only a few bucks, and seems a lot of wavies liked mousse). I figure not too bad for my 2nd day. :)
    2a/b, low porosity.
    Still finding a routine!
    Playing with....
    Trying...
    - Nexxus Emergencee
    - GDLV
    Waiting to try...
    Jessicurl
    CCSS, RR
    As far as my hair in the morning...I can tell you NOW, that when i wake up my hair is nearly flat and straight. Almost like a different head of hair. You will hear a lot of people talk about '2nd day hair'--- where you can get a style out of 2nd 3rd and 4th day , without washing etc. I cannot for the life of me get that to work.

I'm betting that's the case with more wavies than curlies. Darn waves. LOL

Am I going to have to become a reformed morning shower-er? I've almost always showered in the evening/night, but it would nice for my hair to actually look good during the day instead of while I'm at home sitting on the couch. ;)
    2a/b, low porosity.
    Still finding a routine!
    Playing with....
    Trying...
    - Nexxus Emergencee
    - GDLV
    Waiting to try...
    Jessicurl
    CCSS, RR
  • vähän kiharavähän kihara Posts: 16Registered Users
    For the 2nd day hair, you could try spraying a LOT of water in your hair, and go from there.

I like to shower at night, and just wet my hair in the morning. It seems to work and it's a lot faster than showering.
    Don't worry, it only feels kinky the first time....

2, Fiii
    low porosity

Modified cg: Freeman
    Papaya & Lime Overboard Shine conditioner and Urtekram rose low poo.

For styling, Garnier Endurance Invisible Gel, it has a water soluble cone in it.

It's funny that you mentioned this, because that's pretty much what I did this morning before I left the house. I realized today it is a HUGE mistake to put my hair up at night the way I did the last 2 nights, because it's not long enough to pineapple and I thought I could help protect the waves if it was up in a satin head scarf. Wrong. My hair looked ridiculous this morning. lol

I think I should be a spray bottle. What I did was wet my fingertips and used that to scrunch up the waves a bit, plus added a little bit of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-Set-it-Free-p-259.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-set-it-free]Deva Set It Free[/buylink] spray conditioner (I just sprayed a little on my wet hands). It worked decent, and I imagine would be better if I hadn't worn my hair up to sleep.
    2a/b, low porosity.
    Still finding a routine!
    Playing with....
    Trying...
    - Nexxus Emergencee
    - GDLV
    Waiting to try...
    Jessicurl
    CCSS, RR

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file