Gym versus your Curls???

Starsinthesky21Starsinthesky21 Registered Users Posts: 16
I just started my weight loss journey and am really excited about that. I have also started my hair growth journey. I moisturize daily and I love my twist outs...

When at the gym I sweat a lot and come home and put on a shower cap and take a shower....

I am curious to know what thers do to maintain their curls before and after the gym?
ave heard of some women not going to the gym because they don't want to mess up their hair and i think thats silly. Diet and exercise is really important.

I don't want to shampoo everyday because it will dry out my hair. Any ideas out there or suggestions?
Lovin My Curls!!
hair type : 3c/4a :toothy4:

Comments

• *Marah**Marah* Registered Users Posts: 8,032 Curl Neophyte
    Well I really don't do anything to maintain my curls before I work out.. besides putting my hair up away from my face.

After my work out.. I just take a shower as usual and Co-wash my hair. I like to wash or rinse my hair after my work outs because of the sweat and salt that accumulate. I don't like to leave that in my hair or on my scalp.. so I co-wash.

I don't do twists or anything like that because my hair is mega curly and I really prefer my natural curl pattern. So I don't mind getting my hair wet every single day. In fact, I prefer it. I find my hair looks and feels better by doing that method.

You are right..washing everyday with a shampoo can dry curly and/or kinky hair out terribly. Hence why I only use shampoo once a month and I only do that just to remove any build up I may have on my hair and scalp. And even then I ONLY use a sulfate free shampoo because it's the sulfates in certain shampoos that dry the hair out.

What I do is Co-wash (wash with conditoner) my hair several times a week INSTEAD of using shampoo. I always use a silicone free conditioner. But I rinse my hair in the shower every single day whether I Co-Wash or not.

Since your hair is a combination.. you might actually benefit from going CG (Curly Girl). I have very thick 3c hair..think Scary Spice curls when she first came out with the Spice Girls or Rachel True's curls from Half & Half. Only difference is that I dye my hair midnight blue-black (pretty much the darkest goth black with a tinge of blue) instead of those reddish brown/honey blonde colors.

The CG method worked wonders for me. A lot of 3c's and type 4's tend to like this method and get excellent results as type 3c's and type 4's need LOTS of conditioning and moisturizing. So you may want to check it out.

Anyway you can find a fast intro to this method here:
    http://dormroomcurly.blogspot.com/2008/12/style-definitions-table.html

And good for you with going for healthier lifestyle all around! WTG!!!
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • Starsinthesky21Starsinthesky21 Registered Users Posts: 16
    Awesome thank you for you advice. I am going to check out that method.

Its weird.....for a long time I was told that it was not good to constant wet my type of hair 3c/4a combination...even though i did it anyways :) ....ummmm I guess this information was not correct. I have no idea where i heard that anyway.
    I too like how my hair looks with my natural curl but I also love how twist outs look on my hair as well.
    Lovin My Curls!!
    Yeah, that's a misnomer about wetting the hair...it's a common misconception among people of color. It actually was ORIGINALLY that people of color with curly or kinky hair are not to SHAMPOO our hair every day because it dries the hair out. As I said in the other post, it's because of the sulfates.

Some how it morphed from not to shampoo the hair everyday to not to wet it everyday. (Kind of like the saying "Money is the root of all evil"..well that's not ACTUALLY the original saying..it's ACTUALLY "THE LOVE of money is the root of all evil". Money in and of itself is not evil. LOL!)

Water is a natural moisturizer. It's good for the hair to get wet. ESPECIALLY for curly or kinky hair. Curly or Kinky hair need the MOST moisture out of all the hair types. The only problem is if a person is WASHING their hair everyday with a SULFATE SHAMPOO which strips the hair of all the natural oils which make the hair dry and feeling like a brillo pad...basically worse than straw!!! So you never EVER want to wash your hair every day with a sulfate shampoo unless you want brillo pad hair.. (no way!) But wetting the hair often is a GOOD thing. Wetting is NOT the same as washing.

Another thing you may want to try is a Distilled Water and Glycerin mix. Remember back in the day when people use to get jheri curls and their hair would grow out seemingly pretty fast if they took care of it and kept it moist with the spray stuff ? Wanna know why ? It's because the activator stuff had glycerin in it and glycerin is a humectant that attacts moisture from the air into the hair. Their hair got less breakage because it had elasticity even though the activator had other crap in it that coated the hair shaft but because of the glycerin they were able to retain length instead of getting a lot of breakage. A lot of people would GET jheri curls so their hair would retain length even though they often called it, "helping their hair grow". It wasn't really helping their hair grow because hair unless there's a medical problem will grow no matter what. Retaining LENGTH is often the problem for people with tightly curled or kinky hair. Because when you try to comb though or brush through it snaps..even when doing something as simple as sleeping on a cotton pillow case, it snaps the hair and causes breakage. Hence why lots of women of color sleep in satin or silk scarves or bonnets.

Tightly curled or kinky hair seems like it's tough but these are the MOST fragile hair types.

Now, I am NOT suggesting you use any jheri curl products. Most of those contain mineral oil, petrolum, silicones and other crap that just coats the hair shaft making the hair greasy and gross. So I do not recommend them all!!!

What I am suggesting is that you get yourself some natural vegetable glycerin, distilled water, and a spray bottle. Make a 50/50 mix in the spray bottle. Sometimes I use more veggie glycerin than water in my spray bottle. It will keep your hair moisturized. When the hair is moisturize it will retain it's elasticity more and will be less prone to breakage.

I have 3c hair and the veggie glycerin and distilled water mix works like a charm in my hair. It doesn't leave my hair greasy. It makes my hair feel soft as cotton and so moisturized. (I often use that and no other products on my hair). I use it on dripping wet hair right out of the shower. Then I go about my normal styling...

Since you have combo hair..you might benefit from something like Shea Butter or a small amount of natural oils like Coconut, Olive, or Sweet Almond.

Now my hair LOVES Shea Butter but not in huge amounts. With the oils, I use them occassionally but I can't use a lot or my hair will be greasy and I don't like greasy hair at all. I guess my hair gets greasy if I use to much because I don't have combination hair, it's just a plain old 3c...nothing special about it.
    Yeah, that's a misnomer about wetting the hair...it's a common misconception among people of color. It actually was ORIGINALLY that people of color with curly or kinky hair are not to SHAMPOO our hair every day because it dries the hair out. As I said in the other post, it's because of the sulfates.

Some how it morphed from not to shampoo the hair everyday to not to wet it everyday. (Kind of like the saying "Money is the root of all evil"..well that's not ACTUALLY the original saying..it's ACTUALLY "THE LOVE of money is the root of all evil". Money in and of itself is not evil. LOL!)

Water is a natural moisturizer. It's good for the hair to get wet. ESPECIALLY for curly or kinky hair. Curly or Kinky hair need the MOST moisture out of all the hair types. The only problem is if a person is WASHING their hair everyday with a SULFATE SHAMPOO which strips the hair of all the natural oils which make the hair dry and feeling like a brillo pad...basically worse than straw!!! So you never EVER want to wash your hair every day with a sulfate shampoo unless you want brillo pad hair.. (no way!) But wetting the hair often is a GOOD thing. Wetting is NOT the same as washing.

Another thing you may want to try is a Distilled Water and Glycerin mix. Remember back in the day when people use to get jheri curls and their hair would grow out seemingly pretty fast if they took care of it and kept it moist with the spray stuff ? Wanna know why ? It's because the activator stuff had glycerin in it and glycerin is a humectant that attacts moisture from the air into the hair. Their hair got less breakage because it had elasticity even though the activator had other crap in it that coated the hair shaft but because of the glycerin they were able to retain length instead of getting a lot of breakage. A lot of people would GET jheri curls so their hair would retain length even though they often called it, "helping their hair grow". It wasn't really helping their hair grow because hair unless there's a medical problem will grow no matter what. Retaining LENGTH is often the problem for people with tightly curled or kinky hair. Because when you try to comb though or brush through it snaps..even when doing something as simple as sleeping on a cotton pillow case, it snaps the hair and causes breakage. Hence why lots of women of color sleep in satin or silk scarves or bonnets.

Tightly curled or kinky hair seems like it's tough but these are the MOST fragile hair types.

Now, I am NOT suggesting you use any jheri curl products. Most of those contain mineral oil, petrolum, silicones and other crap that just coats the hair shaft making the hair greasy and gross. So I do not recommend them all!!!

What I am suggesting is that you get yourself some natural vegetable glycerin, distilled water, and a spray bottle. Make a 50/50 mix in the spray bottle. Sometimes I use more veggie glycerin than water in my spray bottle. It will keep your hair moisturized. When the hair is moisturize it will retain it's elasticity more and will be less prone to breakage.

I have 3c hair and the veggie glycerin and distilled water mix works like a charm in my hair. It doesn't leave my hair greasy. It makes my hair feel soft as cotton and so moisturized. (I often use that and no other products on my hair). I use it on dripping wet hair right out of the shower. Then I go about my normal styling...

Since you have combo hair..you might benefit from something like Shea Butter or a small amount of natural oils like Coconut, Olive, or Sweet Almond.

Now my hair LOVES Shea Butter but not in huge amounts. With the oils, I use them occassionally but I can't use a lot or my hair will be greasy and I don't like greasy hair at all. I guess my hair gets greasy if I use to much because I don't have combination hair, it's just a plain old 3c...nothing special about it.

You are awesome!!!! You have given me the best advice ever. I just gave away this conditioner (organix mandarin olive oil) which i bought yesterday to my neighbor. I thought it was organic and natural lol but after reading the link you sent me earlier i saw that it had cyclomethicone & dimethoconol in it. It also had methylchioroisothiazolinone (wow what a WORD) which kinda confused me because the CG site said that was a friendly "cone". If that cone is mixed in with the others, does it make it ok to use. hmmmmm:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:?? Anyway my brain was hurting thinking about it so I just got rid of it anyway. I'm really excited though. Im now on my way to healthier stronger, longer hair!! I'm gonna go out and get some better products right now....(hopefully I wont become a product junkie lol)
    Lovin My Curls!!
  • ChevelureChevelure Registered Users Posts: 101
    I always scrub my scalp and hair under the shower after working out and I wet my hair nearly every day.

Sometimes I shampoo, at others, I just condition it. I don't use a lot of product in my hair so there's no need to bring out the big guns every time.

I recently had the last of a relaxer cut off. Unfortunately, the stylist cut my hair a little too short (she was supposed to leave my hair long enough to pull back during humid days) and she layered it more than I had expected. Dry, it's impossible to do anything with it other than to leave it out.

At the gym today it was very unpleasant to have this chin-length mass bobbing around. I put it back in an elastic, but it looked messy.

I think that next time I will wet it, possibly slather in some conditioner and pull it back before leaving for the gym. That's the only way I can get it under control.
    You are awesome!!!! You have given me the best advice ever. I just gave away this conditioner (organix mandarin olive oil) which i bought yesterday to my neighbor. I thought it was organic and natural lol but after reading the link you sent me earlier i saw that it had cyclomethicone & dimethoconol in it. It also had methylchioroisothiazolinone (wow what a WORD) which kinda confused me because the CG site said that was a friendly "cone". If that cone is mixed in with the others, does it make it ok to use. hmmmmm:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:?? Anyway my brain was hurting thinking about it so I just got rid of it anyway. I'm really excited though. Im now on my way to healthier stronger, longer hair!! I'm gonna go out and get some better products right now....(hopefully I wont become a product junkie lol)

Oh you are very welcome. I know all about Organix. I used to use the stuff in droves and buy it like crazy.. LOL! Until I turned CG. Now my husband uses all the left over bottles. His hair is a totally different texture than mine and it doesn't mind the silicones. So he uses it since we have a whole darn closet full of it. LOL!

Organix doesn't contain sulfates but it does contain silicones. I would still use it if it wasn't for the silicones in it because I actually really liked it. But I knew using it for long periods of time in the long run would just make my curls a hot mess!

Anyway, about silicones.. it's if you see the ending -cone, -xane, or -conol at the end of the word is it a silicone that you probably don't want to use if you want to be a CG'er.

The "M" word you referred to in your post is: Methylchloroisothiazolinone. It's in the Isothiazolinone family, which is a heterocyclic compound, which are organic compounds. Methylchloroisothiazolinone doesn't have -cone at the end.. it ends with -one. It's actually not a silicone. Silicones are man made polymers.

Methylchloroisothiazolinone is a preservative with antibacterial and antifungal properties that make it work against bacteria, fungi, and yeasts. It's actually found in some cosmetics and various products that are not meant to be in contact with the skin for long periods of times.

It's often found in conditioners and products that are meant to be rinsed off the skin because it can irritate the skin if left in contact with it for long periods of times if the person has sensitive skin. Ever wash and condition your hair and realize you haven't rinsed all the conditioner out and your head starts it itch like crazy in certain areas ? It's probably because the conditioner contained Methylchloroisothiazolinone and is still in contact with your skin or was left in contact with your scalp a little long.

So they put this preservative in rinse-off products because it won't really bother you if the product is not in contact with the skin for a really long time. Hence why it's found in rinse-out conditioners.

Methylchloroisothiazolinone is CG friendly. It's simply an antibacterial and antifungal preservative is all. It's not a silicone at all. And in the USA the regulate the amounts accepted anyway..so it's pretty harmless.

Remember it's only a Silicone when you see -cone, -xane, or -conol at the end of a word..be careful not to confuse -cone with -one.

Anyway, a lot of naturals like to use Suave Naturals Conditioners. WHY ? Cause it's dirt cheap and is CG friendly. It doesn't contain silicones or sulfates. I know..I know.. you are thinking, "That cheap stuff!" Well I am telling you tons of naturals (women of color and otherwise) swear by the stuff. I absolutely love it and I buy the stuff like it's going out of style.

A lot of naturals like the Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner. I use that, the Suave Naturals Mountain Strawberry Conditioner and the Suave Naturals Orchid Bloom Conditioner. Now...if you get it.. make sure it's SUAVE NATURALS. Don't just run out and get Suave cause the plain Suave is not CG friendly. It has to be SUAVE NATURALS.

Other conditioners that are cheap as dirt that naturals like are Alberto V05 Conditioner. Yes, that old stuff that makes the hot oil treatments! LOL! Many naturals that don't like Suave..like V05 Conditioners because they are not as thick as Suave Naturals. I personally prefer a thicker conditioner like Suave Naturals because I have very thick hair and I like a goooood thick coating of conditioner on my hair. But I have used V05 and keep it on hand in case I want to just do a quick and fast co-rinse.

Another is White Rain. Now White Rain is NOT my favorite. I don't like it at all..but it's cheap and some naturals really like it. And it's CG friendly. Me, I think it sux compared to Suave Naturals and I don't waste my time buying it.

If you want to go a little more expensive you could try these conditioners: Giavanni, Burts Bees, or bioInfusion Organics.

All of the products I named can easily be picked up at either Walgreens, Walmart, Rite Aid, Eckerd, or even your local Dollar Store. Now the more expensive ones I named you won't find at the Dollar Stores. You would have to pick them up at Walmart, Walgreens, or your local drugstore.

You will find that by going natural people will tell you about a BEVY of products and you will get intrigued. I am not telling you not to buy those products because that's your business. But I do want to let you know that to be a natural.. you DO NOT have to spend a lot of money on hair care or order stuff online or go to some curly salon and buy their products.

They have perfectly fine gels, conditioners, and shampoos right at the Walmart or Walgreens that are CG friendly. You can even get various natural oils at your local drugstore. My local Rite Aid carries pure Sweet Almond oil and other natural oils. They cost a bit but they last a long time if you mixed them with Olive Oil...which you can get at any old supermarket.

I hope this helps. I have some info on Shea Butter..that I will post for you to save you some time. :) But definitely do your own research on all the things I am telling you because it's nothing like learning FOR YOURSELF what's what..and trying out what's best for your own hair.
    About Shea Butter..if you don't have a local Whole Food Store, or a local vender of natural products..that you will have to order online or call a place to have them send it to you.

What I do not recommend is that you go to your local drugstore or Walmart or Walgreens and pick up something that says Shea Butter to put in your hair. WHY ? Because it's not 100% Shea Butter. It's mixed with other things and a lot of it is mineral oil, petrolum and other crap that I think is a waste of time and not that great for moisturizing. Most of those products COAT the hair and lock moisture out..they don't moisturize. Hence why the hair feels greasy rather than moist. People often mix up the feel of grease for moisture. Keep this in mind: oil and water don't mix. So grease is not going to moisturize.

It's best to get REAL RAW 100% Shea Butter and use it sparingly. I am nuts over real shea butter. When used sparingly.. it really gives my hair such a nice softness and my curls are fluffy! LOL! I honestly feel like it heals my hair when I use it..

I get mine sometimes right online at www.amazon.com or www.coastalscents.com. Plus there is a local flee market that goes on weekly where I live..and a man sells 100% natural organic unrefined hexane free shea butter so I get it there too.

On amazon you can get a jar of it for as cheap at 5 dollars. Now, I've used refined and unrefined Shea Butter. My favorite is unrefined but I don't mind the refined as long as it is Hexane free.

Hexane is basically a solvent chemical produced in a petrolum refinery and is a by-product of gasoline that is used by some people to extract shea butter. So I stay away from it completely. I only like hexane free shea butter.

On amazon.com NOW Foods products are sold. NOW carries a hexane free refined shea butter and natural vegetable glycerin. The prices are very reasonable from various sellers through amazon. I have purchased from Now products from amazon.com and am pleased with their products. I like their vegetable glycerin a lot!

But there are PLENTY of places online that sell unrefined and refined shea butter for very reasonable prices so you don't have to get it from the places that I suggested. All you have to do is do a search on yahoo or google for natural shea butter. You will be able to find places that sell it if you can't get it where you live. Same with the vegetable glycerin.

Here is a link if you would like to know more about Shea Butter in general: http://www.sheabutterr.com/nasabbnew/factssheablack

Oh and one other thing..if you are going to do the glycerin and distilled water mix (and you don't have to use distilled water you can just use tap water.. I choose to use distilled water because it virtually has all it's impurities removed by the process of distillation) make sure you get VEGETABLE glycerin. Don't just pick up something in your drug store that says glycerin. If you don't see it anywhere it's best to just order it via the phone or online.

I get the big 16oz bottle of Now Glycerin from amazon.com. There's some on there right now for $5.75.

Well I hope this helped you out. If there is anything else hairwise that I can help you out with..I would be happy to try to help you out.
    Oh wow, thank you so much. I am definitely going to copy and paste this into a word doc for reference. I love Suave Naturals as well. I do use this and purchase it my local 99cent store lol!
    Lovin My Curls!!
    I do have one other question. I was thinking that I wanted to dye my hair and actually went out and bought the product the other day. Its Garnier Nutrisse nourishing color creme #56 medium reddish brown. I was going to do a two tone effect. I bought this about 2 weeks ago and have yet to apply it to my hair. I did notice that there is one "cone" Dimethicone in the ingredients today and now I am thinking that I just might not use that product. Im looking for something more natural or organic. I have been reading a little bit about henna. Have you tried that before? I am not sure whats out there. Ill check the forums to see if i can find out some information.

Thanks Again!!
    Lovin My Curls!!
    I do have one other question. I was thinking that I wanted to dye my hair and actually went out and bought the product the other day. Its Garnier Nutrisse nourishing color creme #56 medium reddish brown. I was going to do a two tone effect. I bought this about 2 weeks ago and have yet to apply it to my hair. I did notice that there is one "cone" Dimethicone in the ingredients today and now I am thinking that I just might not use that product. Im looking for something more natural or organic. I have been reading a little bit about henna. Have you tried that before? I am not sure whats out there. Ill check the forums to see if i can find out some information.

Thanks Again!!

No, I have not tried Henna and never will. Some people report that Henna over time relaxes the natural curl pattern making the curls looser.

I don't want ANYTHING to relax my natural curl pattern so I would rather not even go there. Henna basically stains the hair.

It's just not my thing but many naturals like it and use it. So there are plenty of threads about Henna on this forum if you do a search. Plenty of women on here have had decent experiences with it and discuss it on the forum. I've seen several pictures of hair dyed with Henna and it actually looks very pretty. I just personally would never use it.

I dye my hair blue-black with BIGEN. It contains no ammonia and doesn't require hydrogen peroxide. I've never had a problem with it and it gives me the effect that I want without damage to my hair. And I love that it lasts a long time plus since I am getting older (I'm 31) gray strands have been popping up here and there..and the Bigen covers them so well.

I don't lighten my hair. My natural color is already this horrific dirty brown that I can't stand. I like the darkest black hair...pretty much goth black. So I dye mine dark as sin! ROFL.

A lot of people that wear their natural curly or kinky hair actually dye their hair with regular hair dye on the market and don't seem to report much of a problem considering naturals for the most part are very consistent with moisturizing their hair which is crucial when having dyed hair. A lot of dyes have silicones in them so if using that will bother you.. you will have to do your research. A lot of naturals don't mind the silicone in that because it's not like you are using the dye constantly like you would a conditioner or shampoo.

But as far as regular hair dye itself goes..there really is no such thing as a completely organic and totally 100% natural hair dye..hence why a lot of naturals do like Henna which comes from a flowering plant and IS natural and can actually stain the hair.

And don't be fooled by any ads from companies that claim their dye is all natural and organic because most permanent hair dyes that you find in a drugstore and otherwise use basically the same ammonium hydroxide and oxidative dyes with a hydrogen peroxide developer. So when a dye company claims to be natural and organic they just mean they've added some natural and or organic ingredient to their dye or may not use as many chemicals in it. But it's by no means TOTALLY organic and TOTALLY natural unless it is something like Henna.

Bigen Permanent claim they don't use ammonia or perioxide. Plus it doesn't list any silicones. So I use it and haven't had any trouble with it and I've been using it for several years.

If you want you can read about Bigen here:
    http://www.bigen-usa.com/

If you choose to use Bigen.. you may have to start out with just a regular hair dye if you are interested in LIGHTENING your existing hair color. Because Bigen doesn't "lift" the hair. It deposits the color without that since "lifting" is not required for darkening. So if you were to dye it with that Garnier and just maintain it with the Bigen Dark Auburn and every few months or so touch it up with a regular drugstore dye.. you may be able to get away with it. LOL!

But do your OWN research because it's very important that you know what you are putting in YOUR OWN hair. I am just giving you some suggestions that you may be able to consider.. as Bruce Lee used to say with his Jeet Kune Do philosophy, "Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is uniquely your own."
  • NaturallyCurlyEnnovyNaturallyCurlyEnnovy Registered Users Posts: 992 Curl Neophyte
    I typically work out 2 times a day 6 days a week. I put my hair in a high ponytail on top of my head tied with a ribbon (I have a lot of hair). My work out routine determines what I do afterwards. If it is cardio only then I co-wash in the mornings only. If it is weight training since I don't sweat as much I just take it down to let it breath and shake and fluff. If it is both a cardio and weight training day then I co-wash in the morning not the evening since I know I will be working out again the next morning.

Some how it morphed from not to shampoo the hair everyday to not to wet it everyday.

The only problem is if a person is WASHING their hair everyday with a SULFATE SHAMPOO which strips the hair of all the natural oils which make the hair dry and feeling like a brillo pad...basically worse than straw!!! So you never EVER want to wash your hair every day with a sulfate shampoo unless you want brillo pad hair.. (no way!)

Another thing you may want to try is a Distilled Water and Glycerin mix. Remember back in the day when people use to get jheri curls and their hair would grow out seemingly pretty fast if they took care of it and kept it moist with the spray stuff ? Wanna know why ? It's because the activator stuff had glycerin in it and glycerin is a humectant that attacts moisture from the air into the hair.

What I am suggesting is that you get yourself some natural vegetable glycerin, distilled water, and a spray bottle. Make a 50/50 mix in the spray bottle.

Just a few comments about the bolded. I think the first part of your comment is funny. I'm black and I did not grow up in a household that said washing your hair everyday was a bad thing. We did it all the time especially during the summertime when we went swimming every day or was at the beach!

As far as shampooing your hair with sulfates or silicones. I don't use either at the moment (trying out CG method). However, if you look at my fotki pictures from last year and up to May of this year I used sulfates and my hair was not dry at all. Everyone's hair is different. Therefore, what may be good for one persons hair may not be good for your own. It's more of a trial and error type thing.

Glycerin is indeed a humectant and is one of the things that is suppose to help combat frizz or at least tame the mount of frizz your hair gets. So if you live in a humid area it is ideal. But, again everyone's hair is different. I don't use glycerin and live in Texas (high humidity) and the only time I really ever experience frizz is if I am out in the rain or I'm sitting on the patio (happy hour lol) while it is lightly drizzling. Some people even use honey or agave nectar instead of glycerin as they say it works better for their particular hair. So again it depends on your hair. However, if you do not live in humid environment it is more than likely none of these humectants would be good for your hair as it would be taking the moisture from your hair and putting it back out in the air.

A lot of figuring out products is like I said, trial and error. I don't believe in the hair type thing. But, have had people classify me as 3c/3b and I have fine/medium texture hair. But, a lot of products that other people with that hair type and texture like does not work for me. For instance, shea butter, EVOO, Coconut Oil and protein all dry my hair out. When a great deal of other people find it moisturizes their hair. When you can I would suggest to purchase small samples of products that way you won't have wasted your money if it doesn't work for your particular hair. HTH
    YouTube & Twitter <<TheCurlyFitChic
    www.thecurlyfitchic.com
    Fotki<< Updated 2/10
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    I pull my hair back in a loose scrunci (no combing, just hands). Sweat will touch just the roots, and if they get really damp I'll blow dry the roots briefly. The middle shot in my siggie is my workout hair.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.

Just a few comments about the bolded. I think the first part of your comment is funny. I'm black and I did not grow up in a household that said washing your hair everyday was a bad thing. We did it all the time especially during the summertime when we went swimming every day or was at the beach!

I'm mixed and I didn't grow up in a household that said washing the hair everyday was a bad thing either. But washing curly hair/kinky hair every single day 365 days a year with a sulfate shampoo is not the greatest thing for the hair.. it WILL dry the hair out period. Hence why people use conditioners to put back in their hair what was lost after it is washed. And I suppose (given I don't know) you all did use some sort of conditioners in your family after you washed it and you didn't wash your hair with a sulfate shampoo every single day of your life.

A lot of people of color have dry hair anyway ..hence why a lot of us add things to our hair.. back then a lot of people used "grease" because they thought that was adding moisture and nowadays people use more natural oils in an attempt to combat dryness.. but the bottom line is plain water is really not harmful to the hair and is a good moisturizer..so wetting the hair daily isn't harmful but washing the hair with a sulfate shampoo constantly definitely causes dryness because it strips the hair of sebum.

As far as shampooing your hair with sulfates or silicones. I don't use either at the moment (trying out CG method). However, if you look at my fotki pictures from last year and up to May of this year I used sulfates and my hair was not dry at all. Everyone's hair is different. Therefore, what may be good for one persons hair may not be good for your own. It's more of a trial and error type thing.

Yeah I used to shampoo my hair a few times a week with a sulfate shampoo and it was alright..but I always used conditioner after. But it wasn't until I stopped using sulfate shampoos that I noticed a big difference in how my hair felt. Last year, all you did was wash your hair and never did anything else to it ? If you were able to get away with that and never used conditioner or any other product in your hair besides shampoo...all I can say is lucky you!

And yeah sure.. not everyone's hair is the same and is why I told the original poster to do HER OWN research because it's nothing like knowing what works for HER OWN hair. I also told her: Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is uniquely her own.
    A lot of figuring out products is like I said, trial and error. I don't believe in the hair type thing. But, have had people classify me as 3c/3b and I have fine/medium texture hair. But, a lot of products that other people with that hair type and texture like does not work for me. For instance, shea butter, EVOO, Coconut Oil and protein all dry my hair out. When a great deal of other people find it moisturizes their hair. When you can I would suggest to purchase small samples of products that way you won't have wasted your money if it doesn't work for your particular hair. HTH

Yeah I know you don't believe in hair typing.. I've read your posts before and I definitely think that's where that whole thing went in the other thread where you THOUGHT I was implying certain things about type 4 hair. LOL! I really hope there are no hard feeling about that on your end because there are none on mine.

As I said in there, I find hair typing as a useful classification system so it doesn't bother me and I use it. But to each his or her own.

Everyone should ALWAYS do what works for them but it never hurts to try to give someone some assistance. And it's always cool when they appreciate it and feel that THEY have gotten something out of it.
    And i really do appreciate Marah Mizrahi's advice. I started the CG method she mentioned that same day i read about it. I have been moisturizing with shea butter only - because I actually had it in the house. I haven't picked up the vegetable glycerin yet but my hair feels soooo much softer already just after a few days. So far her advice is doing wonders for my hair. In my picture my hair is completely dry with no product in it at all. I have very loose and tight curls so the hair type system worked well for me. It was useful way to determine what type I had.Of course i am doing my own research but I also like talking to others and getting successful tips and she did just that for me. Its true products work differently on everyone and everyone has their own opinions as well but so far her advice had been on point with the results i am getting with my hair. I love it. BIG THANKS!!!:wav:
    Lovin My Curls!!
  • curlsgirlbrazilcurlsgirlbrazil Registered Users Posts: 234
    bump
    :thumright::love1:
    3b/a

I like my microfiber towel and plopping

http://clubedoscachos.blogspot.com/
    No comb,blow-fried, sulfates,silicones detangle Only the [/SIZE]fingers!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file