I don't know what to do

vanes16vanes16 Registered Users Posts: 131
I'm a 16 year-old African-American girl with 3c-4a hair who was unsure what to do with my hair. Ever since I was in junior high, I have been pressured to perm my hair. My friend's mother even said that I was "becoming a young lady so you need to perm it like everyone else". I am so glad that I never did perm my hair. I cornrow my hair and wear it in a bun sometimes. That was getting boring and it was hard to get my hair braided all the time. After discovering this website, I want to start wearing my hair out but I don't know where to start. I bought Miss Jessiecurl babybuttercreme even though it was very expensive and I'm looking for hair salons where I can get a good hair cut. I live in New York City and all the salons that cater to curly hair are very expensive. I do have 3 salons in mind: Insitu, Devachan, and Curve Salon (Miss Jessie). Does anyone have any suggestion or advice?
3b-4a hair & CG

Products:
Suave Apple conditioner
Shea-butter
Oyin burnt sugar pomade
coconut oil
castor oil
shikakai powder

Comments

• FireFlowerFireFlower Registered Users Posts: 137
    Hi, sweetie.... Not sure how to guide you re. NYC salons (but I'm sure you'll get some answers). I just want to commend your courage and strength to resist the pressures of teenage-dom and relaxing.... Your hair and your body and your self-esteem will appreciate it. You'll learn a lot about the different things you can do with your hair and soon people will marvel at your healthy, cool, funky, hair! :wink:

Stay encouraged!
    Classic 4a/b, fine, dense, normal to dry, low porosity
    event.png
  • susususu Registered Users Posts: 767 Curl Connoisseur
    I haven't been to any of the salons you mentioned, but nappymd and wilycat posted very detailed, helpful reviews of curve (on the 4b board) and devachan (on 4a), respectively.

There have also been a few threads re: NYC salons in the past. I'll see if I can bump one for you.
  • vanes16vanes16 Registered Users Posts: 131
    Thank you so much for the response...I love this website :D
    3b-4a hair & CG

Products:
    Suave Apple conditioner
    Shea-butter
    Oyin burnt sugar pomade
    coconut oil
    castor oil
    shikakai powder
  • kinkerbellekinkerbelle Registered Users Posts: 22
    I wish you the best of luck sweetie. I will say, however, that if you go to Miss Jessie's Salon, just make sure you know what you do (or do not) want to do with your hair before going. As in, you want to keep it completely natural, or you are open to a silkener before hand. They are a little pushy, and if you are going for advice, they may try to push a silkener on you.

That being said, they are fabulous stylers and should be able to give you a really good cut.
    A little bit of everything on this head...
    Transitioned for almost a year, fully natural since July, '05

http://public.fotki.com/Kinkerbelle/
    A silkener sounds nice but I really want to keep my hair natural. How much do they charge for the cut?
    3b-4a hair & CG

Products:
    Suave Apple conditioner
    Shea-butter
    Oyin burnt sugar pomade
    coconut oil
    castor oil
    shikakai powder
  • SapphireWingstarSapphireWingstar Registered Users Posts: 381
    First, you have to put down a non-refunable deposit of $75. The people who did Curve Salon reviews said how much it costed, and I'm pretty sure it was way (way) upwards of $100. I'm thinking around $300, actually, but you should check the actual post. ^^;;

Personally, I think that is way too much for me to pay for a HAIRCUT, but kudos to the people who do go there. :)

Uhhh...are you doing CurlyGirl? What products are you currently using?

I just wanted to sympathise with you...I know how it is (I'm in highschool, too). People tease me all the time about my hair. :? This website has really hellped me a lot, though. There is so much information here, you just have to sort through it all to find what you really need.

Good luck on your hair journey. :D
    3b/c...or thereabouts.

Album: http://photobucket.com/albums/a119/CrazyCurlyQ/

Password: curlomania
    (albums are on the lefthand side)
    Well im new at this so I currently have my hair in cornrows like I usually do. When I get enough money I'm going to order the curlystart kit which includes the Curly Girl book. I did buy Miss Jessie's [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Baby-Buttercreme-p-575.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-baby-buttercreme]Baby Buttercreme[/buylink] which was really expensive but it did make my hair really soft...but im basically clueless to what products to use.

I'm trying to figure out whether I really need a haircut and where is the best place to do it for 3c/4a/4b type hair.
    3b-4a hair & CG

Products:
    Suave Apple conditioner
    Shea-butter
    Oyin burnt sugar pomade
    coconut oil
    castor oil
    shikakai powder
  • kinkerbellekinkerbelle Registered Users Posts: 22
    As you are new to this, I don't suggest you go to Curve. The actual cost of everything (which they don't tell you until you are hype about what ever services are "prescribed" during your initial consultation) are crazy expensive. $300 would be considered a good price for an initial visit.
    A little bit of everything on this head...
    Transitioned for almost a year, fully natural since July, '05

http://public.fotki.com/Kinkerbelle/
    That's a lot of money :cry: Is there any other place in NYC where it is cheaper.

What about Devanchan? I just got CG book and I was wondering if I could go to the salon...its probably just as expensive.
    3b-4a hair & CG

Products:
    Suave Apple conditioner
    Shea-butter
    Oyin burnt sugar pomade
    coconut oil
    castor oil
    shikakai powder
  • NeldaNelda Registered Users Posts: 84
    Umm I think devachan might be the best bet for you. They are not outrageously expensive like Curve Salon. I live in Brooklyn..Park Slope. I could def give u some pointers if u like. Im a natural, and my sis is also and shes ur age with ur hair texture. Ill send u my info in ur messages box.. ;)
    I have been natural for about 3yrs now. Recently cut all of it off in April/07, I know some may think I am crazy...but for those who don't me I am a girl of variety..I NEED CHANGE!

http://public.fotki.com/Nellybly18

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file