Boston/Cambridge Stylist: Help!!!!

nobutterflynobutterfly Registered Users Posts: 33
Curlies!!! I have tons of curly, tight coily, kinky, and some tight wavy hair. I'm in great need of a good hair cut/ shaping. I went to the Salon recomendations website but nobody tells their curly type there. Thus, I cant trust those reviews (e.g. a 2c could be raving about a hairstylist that would have no idea what to do with my hair. ) Please help me asap. Thanks :)
4a/3c thick, soft, cottony and big when i dont finger coil. oval strands.

Nothing bends true passion. Fight and persevere. Dream. Remember not to laugh at other's ideas, they may be right. Shoot for the stars.

Comments

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    You classified your hair as 4C/3B and since those are not close to each other on the Andre spectrum, I'm having trouble visualizing your texture, but from your description it sounds like a unique mixed bag like many on this board have.

I've been going to Carriage House Salon in Cambridge for about 2-3 years, 3 x a year, for a Ouidad-type cut. I see a lot of 2C's, 3A/B's there and I'm like the only 4a, but Shelli does an excellent job on me, styles my hair better than I do! They do use Curlisto products which have some cones and I just started a modified CG routine (still keeping my Control II, just in case). I started there as a texturized 3C. My original stylist married and left and I transitioned to Shelli. It something she said that encouraged me to go relaxer-free. I feel very comfortable with her.

I live maybe 5 minutes from Olives; though they're fabulous with relaxed styles, I consulted there ($30!) and was not encouraged to put my coily/kinky head in their hands (I have coils, kinks, frizz, and tight S-waves)

A 3B curly at my church mentioned Jackie Early in Brookline (cheaper than Carriage House and I believe she worked at Carriage House). Her feedback on the cut was very positive.

There is another Ouidad-trained stylist up in Bedford, I think. Also, check out the CurlSalons link on this site for recommendations, reviews/comments.

If you go, PM me to let me know how your experience was.

HTH
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • nobutterflynobutterfly Registered Users Posts: 33
    Thanks Karen!
    Has anyone else tried any salons under 60us$?

Nothing bends true passion. Fight and persevere. Dream. Remember not to laugh at other's ideas, they may be right. Shoot for the stars.
  • BlackHoney215BlackHoney215 Registered Users Posts: 13
    Thanks Karen!
    Has anyone else tried any salons under 60us$?

I know this late, but have you tried Cramer's at Copley or Liz's Hair Care on Tremont?
  • nobutterflynobutterfly Registered Users Posts: 33
    Hey!
    I'm in college in Nashville now, but I'll be sure to check it out when I go back to Boston this summer :D
    Thanks
    -Mari

• PeachyKunoichiPeachyKunoichi Registered Users Posts: 8
    M Salon on Mass. Ave in Cambridge. I had a cut with Dana and he was very pleasant and stopped to check with me while cutting. He's all about low-maintenance cuts that grow out well ( and it did ^.^)

Let's see...about $45 for the basic cut.

Just for reference, I'm actually a 3b. But he's gotten so many good reviews that it's worth a shot eh? ^^

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file