BEST mineral foundation?

botticelli_girl922botticelli_girl922 Registered Users Posts: 896
As you know, there are a lot of mineral foundations out there! I'm so confused, but I really, really want to buy one. Which one is the best?I'm currently interested in....-Meow Cosmetics-Physician's Formula-Loreal Bare Naturale So please tell me which one (not only of the ones I listed) that you think is the absolute best you've tried.
Curl Type: 2c-3a, Medium thickness, Normal Porosity
Weekly Low-poo: TJ Pure Castile Soap
Co-wash: V05 Strawberries and Cream
Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm (Possibly HG!), GF Triple Nutrition
Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

Life has many choices. Eternity has two. What's yours?

Comments

• The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    Meow gets raves.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    I've been wearing Jane Iredale mineral foundation for a couple of years. I love it. I use the pressed or loose powder, depending on the season (an how dry or oily my skin is during that time). It's expensive, but my skin has improved (far fewer breakouts and clogged pores since changing to MMU). JI works for me, so I have no desire to change. I went through an experimenting phase about a year ago with buying samples and testing for color/coverage matches and it was not fun for me. I need to wear a foundation several times before I know if it will work for me, so I had to buy samples to make it convenient.

I would suggest trying different brands out until you find one that works well for you. Everyone's skin is different so what works for one person may not work for another.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • misspammisspam Registered Users Posts: 5,318
    I second the Meow Cosmetics!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlprocurlpro Registered Users Posts: 334 Curl Neophyte
    ColoreScience hands down, the woman who developed Jane Iredale is the developer and it's a little less chaulky than Jane Iredale. Waterproof, (and I mean you can swim with it, as long as you blot and don't rub) and the skin has such a nice glow. I know they sell one week puffs for samples if you can find a retailer in your area.
    Cynthia
  • VTmomVTmom Registered Users Posts: 2,487 Curl Connoisseur
    I like Pur.
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • *Marah**Marah* Registered Users Posts: 8,032 Curl Neophyte
    For me it's Everyday Minerals. I like how it doesn't have the Bismuth Oxychloride in it like many of the mineral makeups do.. I have sensitive skin and the Bismuth Oxychloride doesn't work well for my skin for long. I had to stop using Bare Minerals foundation for that reason..although their shadows don't bother me and I still use them.

What I really like about Everyday Minerals is that you can actually choose the coverage you want such as matte, semi-matte, intensive, or original glow.

I am going to check out this Meow stuff everyone's raving about though..but my trusty standby will always be Everyday Minerals as long as they make it!
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • Fluffy4evaFluffy4eva Registered Users Posts: 156
    "Lily Lolo" a uk based brand does it for me. I have pale, freckly, oily, blemish-prone skin (yay me!) and the Lily Lolo foundation and matte veil (to seil the foundation) seems to minimise the damage considerably. definitely slicks up the oil.
    I use Jane Iredale as a "throughout the day" compact, and both mineral foundations seem to live up to their boast of gentle non-irritating natural ingredients.

Coverage is varying... If you want fuller coverage with a mineral powder foundation I find spraying the foundation-loaded brush lightly with water before applying gives fuller coverage. I also add a smidgen of teatree oil to help with my complexion, but thats really up to the individual ;o)
    UK Curly
    Boots essentials range - Co-wash
    Aussie Miracle Moist - Conditioner
    Any non-cone Leavein I can find (its not easy)
    Boots essentials - Gel

Always brush with a comb. and wrap in a microfibre towel to dry.
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    I tried the Prescriptives first because I've had very good luck with their makeup in the past. My skin tone is hard to match. Then I saw that there were introductory packs of the BE at Sephora that included a good selection of brushes which more than paid for the pack, and I'd only gotten the base and one brush from Prescriptives because of the cost. So I got the introductory pack and have been really happy with the BE makeup.

One of my skin match problems is that I'm naturally ruddy, and most American makeup just won't blend in for me. When Clinique came out with Redness Solutions, I tried that in the store, and it's a great option for me when I don't want to wear much makeup. As their sales rep told me after putting it on me, why would I want to add more makeup (when I'm going for a natural look) when this works so well for me, I'd only be adding and subtracting.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Registered Users Posts: 4,858 Curl Neophyte
    Definitely Meow. And I tried Jane Iredale, Youngblood, BE, Everyday Minerals, Sheer Cover, L'Oreal, Makeup Artists Choice, Physicians Formula, etc. - most of them out there. BE and Sheer Cover were the worst of the lot for me, I think. I gave up on them, deciding that mineral makeup just wasn't for me, especially at my age - they all did one or more of the following:
    • Settled in lines too much
    • Too frosty/shiny/glowy
    • Itched
    • Aggravated seborrheic dermatitis and accentuated flakiness at least and made it worse in many cases
    • Looked cakey
    • Oily skin caused them to change color
    I decided to try Meow after all the raves on here. It doesn't do any of the above - I see very little in my lines even in an 8X magnifying mirror. My roseacea and seborrheic dermatitis love it. I've even left it on overnight a couple of times (Big no-no, I know - don't ask!), and it didn't irritate or break me out.

Meow contains no
    • preservatives
    • silica
    • parabens
    • bismuth
    • talc
    It contains mica, but it doesn't itch at all and isn't too irridescent. If, unlike me, you actually want more of that, you can use the topcoat that gives more glow. I like the plain one myself, although I don't always even use one - I just seem to get a little less oily when I do.

It's waterproof as long as you don't rub at it. I get folliculitis under my chin (danged hirsuitism from PCOS!) that I really have trouble getting concealer to stay put - and match - even stuff like Dermablend, but Meow stayed in place while swimming.

I ordered samples first until I found the formula and color for me - there are enough that anyone should be able to find a match (Navigating thru the colors/formulas on the site can be a little weird). The color stays true throughout the day even with my oily skin.

My only complaint about Meow at all is that it's still just as messy as any of them - still get a fine veil of it on nearby miniblinds and other surfaces. There's just no getting around that with any mineral makeup, I guess - It's just a trade-off for its benefits.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • SariaSaria Registered Users Posts: 15,963
    I'm all about Valana Minerals, but it is targeted towards women of color, so if this isn't a selling point for you, something like Meow might make more sense. I love my Valana foundation because it definitely makes a difference in how my skin looks, but nobody can ever tell I have makeup on. Valerie at Valana uses great ingredients that won't make you itch. All her products are cruelty-free, and the vegan brushes she sells are amazing! They are incredibly soft and I just love them.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    Re: Valana, I've found that if I apply moisturizer before the MM and let the moisturizer absorb for 10 minutes first, the MM doesn't itch me. If I don't it'll drive me nuts!! Maybe this is true of other MMs.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • SariaSaria Registered Users Posts: 15,963
    I've never had a problem, and her stuff doesn't have the bismuth that seems to be the cause of itchiness for most people.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • pandoraspoxxpandoraspoxx Registered Users Posts: 248
    adding valana minerals to my wish list...I have heard a lot of good things about that mm line.
  • pandoraspoxxpandoraspoxx Registered Users Posts: 248
    Just ordered my sample kit.

My sister also state that there is another line called mineral indulges..the have really nice colors and there eyeshadow kits are gorgeous. I am also ordering samples from that line as well.
  • SilverLockesSilverLockes Registered Users Posts: 74
    I have the Bare Essencuals (sp?) version. Honestly, I'm not all that thrilled. It doesn't itch, I don't get any more clogged pores or breakouts than usual wen I use it, but it does look cakey and very fake if I use enough to actually cover up blemishes and even out my skin tone.

I love their eye shadows, though. They are bold and vivid, and you can layer it on a little at the time until you have the level of color that you want. It stays put for hours on end, which is really something for me, as I have extremely oily skin, and eye shadow just drifts all over the place on me.
    3a on top and sides, 3b underneath in the back, and 2-something in front. What a mess....:dontknow:

No color for 7 years, and loving my silver locks :tongue:
  • oopsmyhalofelloffoopsmyhalofelloff Registered Users Posts: 92
    I've used BE for years now, I have no complaints.
    Thanks, Jackie :headbang:

Type - 3A fine and thin
    my routine is a work in progress

low poo - Giovanni Smooth as Silk
    co wash - Suave Naturals Coconut
    Leave in - Curl-it-up or same as co-wash
    Stylers - CK, ecostyler, ISO bouncy creme, HETT, Bioterra curl creme

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file