hey Mommies.. what food do you miss?

deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Since there are a few of us that are pregnant.. What food are you missing right now...

you know the "No-No" foods!

Me, I'd love a Turkey and Cheese sub with all the fixins (deli meat) they say you can have it but have to warm the meat first... ewwwwwww :puker:
Liam: 6 years old
Colin: 3 years old

Comments

• CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'll be honest, I think a lot of those food restrictions are crap (and by "a lot" I mean pretty much all of them). Unless you're buying your turkey sub from some guy on the street selling them out of a van, what exactly is the issue?

I ate brie, I ate sushi. I drank coffee and Diet Coke...although I did put those off till the second trimester. I got my roots done, I kept on living my life.

Follow your own doctor (if you trust his/her judgment) and your own gut, obviously, but women all over the world manage to give birth without the pregnancy police knocking every single half glass of wine out of their hands.

And that's my rant for today. Probably. Although really it's early so I'm not making any promises.
  • deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I still drink Diet Coke on occasion that's one thing I can't part with...

D
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    I ate deli meat sandwiches while I was pregnant, and brie and feta cheese, and I drank one cup of coffee a day. I'm not really a sushi eater, so I didn't have that. But I did have 1/2-1 glass of wine or beer weekly during the third trimester. :glasses9:
    ehLB.jpg
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    deedles wrote: »
    I still drink Diet Coke on occasion that's one thing I can't part with...

D

Who could break up with Diet Coke? :) I cut back when I was pregnant, but still drank it.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    CGNYC wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I think a lot of those food restrictions are crap (and by "a lot" I mean pretty much all of them).

I agree. I never followed those rules. Everything in moderation.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My coworkers seem outraged that I haven't given up sushi. My doctor gave me no food restrictions. Everything in moderation.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I haven't been given any food restrictions... but I've been careful.

I was just telling my friend (who had her baby Wednesday) that I CANNOT wait to make myself a batch of brownies and to lick the bowl clean :mrgreen:
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    sarah42 wrote: »
    I ate deli meat sandwiches while I was pregnant, and brie and feta cheese, and I drank one cup of coffee a day. I'm not really a sushi eater, so I didn't have that. But I did have 1/2-1 glass of wine or beer weekly during the third trimester. :glasses9:

ITA with everything. I think the deli meat and cheese rule is crap. It's because of the possibility of listeria, but it is sooo rare! It would make more sense to tell pregnant women not to drive due to the danger of a car accident. :roll:
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • RheannaRheanna Posts: 2,614Registered Users
    Ahhh, I guess I've been the overly careful first time Mom. I still drink a cup of coffee most mornings, but I've given up all artificial sweetener. I miss being able to drink things that tasted good, without worrying about unnecessary calories. I love me some Crystal Lite and diet drinks. I've had one diet lemonade while pregnant, no sweet'n'low, etc. and I did use that stuff daily and drink a couple diet drinks daily. I think I've had lunch meat twice. I miss it. Dearly.

Maybe I'll cut loose a bit.
    DPTFm5.png
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    I cut out cokes and sweet tea entirely. I simply CANNOT just drink a little bit of these things. Even now, I don't buy or make tea because I won't drink water if they are in my fridge.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    goldy wrote: »

I was just telling my friend (who had her baby Wednesday) that I CANNOT wait to make myself a batch of brownies and to lick the bowl clean :mrgreen:

What?!?!? Are you saying you've given up licking the brownie bowl because of pregnancy?!?!?!? That's just crazy talk...I'm fairly certain that chocolate kills salmonella.

If you're that worried about salmonella, then use Egg Beaters instead of regular eggs, and lick that bowl with abandon. That way you can still enjoy one of life's greatest pleasures.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I didn't give up foods so much as I added foods in. I never was a veggie or fruit eater before getting pregnant but I made myself eat more. I actually started liking a lot more. I think moderation is the best thing....moderately lick the bowl...lick, put down, walk away, come back and lick some more...make it last. :)
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Most of the restrictions are due to liability issues. IF something happened, they want their butts covered
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Unless you're buying your turkey sub from some guy on the street selling them out of a van, what exactly is the issue?

Funny you should mention this.... I actually had a seafood ceviche out of the back of a truck in Mexico when I was 14 weeks pregnant with baby #2. Probably not the smartest thing I've ever done but OMG it was soooo good. We stayed in a sketchy motel and basically ate street food fro a week. It was the best vacation ever.

I did cut back on diet drinks during both pregnancies and while breastfeeding. I'm always a little leery of them, so it was my excuse to kick the habit.
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    cocktails, most sushi & raw oysters were the only things I gave up. I let up on the cocktail towards the end of pregnancy.
    hello.world.
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    With DS I followed the rules...and he was born with a genetic heart defect...with DD I followed with moderation guildlines and she is perfectly healthy--my midwife was very much an everything in moderation person--why should you be more miserable while pregnant?

I agree these are in place "just in case", as long as you are not eating "bad" stuff all day long and only that I think you would be fine.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • bushyheadbushyhead Posts: 1,676Registered Users
    This thread makes me happy. When I first heard that you can't eat lunch meat while pregnant, I was like, "How the hell am I supposed to go 9 months without eating a sandwich??" So far, I haven't indulged, but I'm going to treat myself once I'm out of first tri.

I've been told that soft cheeses are fine as long as they're made with pasteurized milk. I've had feta, but not gorgonzola yet, which I love. Don't all restaurants have to use pasteurized milk products for health reasons? Someone told me that, but I don't know if it's true.

I've also been nervous about going to Cape Cod this coming weekend because I'm going to be eating more seafood than usual. Lobster is one of my favorites and it's on the "no more than 4 oz. a week" list, but I'll probably eat more than that this weekend alone.

Nice to know that it's okay to splurge once in awhile.
    tt2b5cc.aspx

"Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today is a gift . . . that's why it's called the present." - Unknown
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I just recently heard pregnant women are not supposed to have soft serve because of the listeria risk -- oh well I've enjoyed plenty.

goldy wrote: »

If you're that worried about salmonella, then use Egg Beaters instead of regular eggs, and lick that bowl with abandon. That way you can still enjoy one of life's greatest pleasures.

You know I use egg beaters in almost everything but I keep using real eggs when I make my brownies.... and at this point it's any day now (and according to strangers who see how "dropped" my belly is it should have been a few days ago :lol:).

It's really bad enough I even keep making brownies since my husband doesn't eat chocolate, making the entire batch mine -- all mine :mrgreen:
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    I followed the rules pretty much with my first pregnany, but then none of the rules affect me too much. I don't eat meat or fish so don't have to worry about those, and it's pretty rare that I eat soft cheeses so it wasn't too big of a sacrifice for me. I did give up alcohol and coffee. I know that a cup or two per day of coffee is fine during pregnancy, but I figured if I could live without it, I'd give it a shot. I also avoided artificial sweeteners when possible, and I've stuck with that one ever since my first pregnancy. I'll have them once in a while, but pretty rarely.

I had baked brie this weekend and it was DELICIOUS. Since it was baked, does that eliminate the risk of listeria? I only had a little bit so I'm not worried anyway, but I was just curious.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Baked Brie should be fine, according to the rules.

I also gave up artificial sweeteners, but mostly because I've realized they're bad for me. According to the research I did a couple of years ago, saccharin is the only one that crosses the placenta. Aspartame and sucralose should be fine for the pregnancy, but are pretty bad for you in general, so I mostly cut those out too.
    PixieCurl wrote: »
    I followed the rules pretty much with my first pregnany, but then none of the rules affect me too much. I don't eat meat or fish so don't have to worry about those, and it's pretty rare that I eat soft cheeses so it wasn't too big of a sacrifice for me. I did give up alcohol and coffee. I know that a cup or two per day of coffee is fine during pregnancy, but I figured if I could live without it, I'd give it a shot. I also avoided artificial sweeteners when possible, and I've stuck with that one ever since my first pregnancy. I'll have them once in a while, but pretty rarely.

I had baked brie this weekend and it was DELICIOUS. Since it was baked, does that eliminate the risk of listeria? I only had a little bit so I'm not worried anyway, but I was just curious.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    I think you are ok with baked
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    I'll be honest, I think a lot of those food restrictions are crap (and by "a lot" I mean pretty much all of them). Unless you're buying your turkey sub from some guy on the street selling them out of a van, what exactly is the issue?

I ate brie, I ate sushi. I drank coffee and Diet Coke...although I did put those off till the second trimester. I got my roots done, I kept on living my life.

Follow your own doctor (if you trust his/her judgment) and your own gut, obviously, but women all over the world manage to give birth without the pregnancy police knocking every single half glass of wine out of their hands.

And that's my rant for today. Probably. Although really it's early so I'm not making any promises.

I agree completely. Everything in moderation, just like, you know, when you're not pregnant. ;)
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I thought it was no "raw" i.e. unpasturized cheese or other dairy. I ate all kinds of pasturized cheese, soft and hard both pregnancies. I love me some brie!
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    With my first pregnancy I gave up all caffeine, had sandwich meat in very limited quanties...I'm not a fish eater so sushi wasn't an issue. I didn't have any artificial sweetners (just a personal thing).

With my second I did the same except for the caffeine...a toddler and preganancy requires caffeine. LOL

I think I gave up more when I was breastfeeding than with pregnancy though. I ate very bland food and no salad for a long time with Chas due to his reflux. With Addison I started introducing those things back into my diet around 2 or 3 months. I did however make sure not to have any caffeine while breastfeeding.
  • Jess2316Jess2316 Posts: 617Registered Users
    I gave up all caffeine and artificial sweeteners and I make sure to check all cheese to see if made with pasteurized milk. I haven't had a Diet Coke or a caffeinated coffee since I found out I was prego but partially because they stopped sounding good to me. I'll get an occasional decaf Starbucks if the mood hits, but I can easily go without.

I have also given up lunch meat until this past weekend when I had a HUGE turkey filled sub and it was SOOO good. I had asked my doc about it beforehand because I was craving a sub bad and he said that as long as it's from a reputable place and not some little deli on the side of the road it would probably be ok. He said that larger sub places are more strictly watched as far as following the rules so it should be fine. I was happy.

What I do miss though is my margaritas. So good in the hot weather..I've made due with lemonade. Lots and lots of lemonade
    3a fine hair (I think)

CoN poo and Biolage Conditioning Balm
    I love CK and B&A gel...I like HETT Mousse
  • InissantAngelInissantAngel Posts: 173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Jess2316 wrote: »

What I do miss though is my margaritas. So good in the hot weather..I've made due with lemonade. Lots and lots of lemonade

Hrmm, when I was pregnant with my daughter (who was an August baby and we live in FL) used to eat margaritas and pina coladas out of the can. You know those Bacardi frozen drink mix cans you can get at the grocery store that you're supposed to add rum to blend:angel12:. Yum.
    Anyone who lives within their means, suffers from a lack of imagination. ~Oscar Wilde

There are only two ways to do things: right or over.
  • Jess2316Jess2316 Posts: 617Registered Users
    Jess2316 wrote: »

Hrmm, when I was pregnant with my daughter (who was an August baby and we live in FL) used to eat margaritas and pina coladas out of the can. You know those Bacardi frozen drink mix cans you can get at the grocery store that you're supposed to add rum to blend:angel12:. Yum.

Not a bad idea...not bad at all. I may give it a try!!
    3a fine hair (I think)

CoN poo and Biolage Conditioning Balm
    I love CK and B&A gel...I like HETT Mousse

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file