Curlies on What Not To Wear

AppleCurlsAppleCurls Posts: 19Registered Users
I love what Stacey(Stacy?) and Clinton do for people and their self esteem, but the more episodes I watch, the fewer curlies I see in reveals! Am I the only one who notices the chronic straightening of beautiful hair that just needs some good protein and DT?
high porosity, fine texture

modCG since April 2008!

Comments

• botticelli_girl922botticelli_girl922 Posts: 896Registered Users
    Yes, I sure have noticed! It makes me so angry. They almost always straighten their hair. That's basically saying, "Oh, straight hair is better than curly; if we're gonna make you look good we have to straighten your hair." Seriously, it just needs to moisture and protein!
    Curl Type: 2c-3a, Medium thickness, Normal Porosity
    Weekly Low-poo: TJ Pure Castile Soap
    Co-wash: V05 Strawberries and Cream
    Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm (Possibly HG!), GF Triple Nutrition
    Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

Life has many choices. Eternity has two. What's yours?
  • CopaseticCopasetic Posts: 222Registered Users
    I've noticed this too. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the producers want the most dramatic transformation possible. Doesn't make it any less annoying, though!
    co-wash: exact vanilla
    rinse out: tresseme naturals
    leave-in: giovanni direct leave-in
    stylers: kccc + he totally twisted mousse + coconut oil to sotc
  • botticelli_girl922botticelli_girl922 Posts: 896Registered Users
    Copasetic wrote: »
    I've noticed this too. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the producers want the most dramatic transformation possible. Doesn't make it any less annoying, though!

Good point, but how come they can't curl the naturally straight hair on some people? Lol.
    Curl Type: 2c-3a, Medium thickness, Normal Porosity
    Weekly Low-poo: TJ Pure Castile Soap
    Co-wash: V05 Strawberries and Cream
    Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm (Possibly HG!), GF Triple Nutrition
    Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

Life has many choices. Eternity has two. What's yours?
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I like that show a lot ! I think Stacy and Clinton are awesome...but yes.. I have definitely noticed that the hair is always styled straight and curls are usually always blow out, flat ironed, or hot curled to look different. I am not sure I how long I have been watching that show but it's been a few years and in those few years I have only seen one woman where they kept the curly hair and that is because she specially stated that she liked her curls and wanted to keep them period. So the stylist worked with her natural curls and believe it or not he did a GREAT job. Her hair looked so pretty when he was finished.

So I guess you all are right..they want the most dramatic change and that's basically to straighten hair if it's curly or kinky. :(

I have just given up on hoping they will keep the makeover's hair curly.. I usually just pray they don't cut to much of it off because curly hair can be difficult to deal with if it's cut improperly. And what worries me is when they straighten a curly, then cut it, and flat iron.. And I am think.. oh goodness when she washes her hair and goes back to curly her hair will be a lot shorter and look different and she may not be able to style it well and will feel forced to wear it straight.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • Elphie2983Elphie2983 Posts: 145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I really really love this show. But as you all pointed out, and as i've been noticing, they almost always straighten curly hair, even after Nick has said "I notice you have curly hair, i'm gonna give you a cut that works with your curls, let me give you layers", he still blows it out. I was watching yesterday, and there was an episode with this woman who said she had "heb hair", jewish girl fro (i have one too, but i love my curls), and she had chemically straightened her hair to the point of uber damaged, because she "hated her hair SO MUCH". It was so sad to see! Society can be so lame.
    Hair Type: 3a with 3b tendencies, medium texture and normal porosity
    Shampoo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat and CJDF
    Conditioner/Leave-in: Giovanni 50:50, and Suave Naturals (Just not the Coconut), CALI
    Stylers: CJ CCCC, AFG, HESMU
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Agree with all the posters. I watch really closely whenever they have a curly on, hoping to see what products are used and how they are applied, etc., and I'm always disappointed. It would be so interesting to see different textured curlies have really good cuts and results. I saw yesterday and was let down! My guess is Nick wanted to do her hair curly but she insisted on straight.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    http://www.bestweekever.tv/2009-6-1/split-ends-nick-arrojo-replaced-on-what-not-to-wear/

Just found that online! Interesting...maybe now there can be some curl action? *hopes*
    Conditioner/Leave-in: Giovanni 50:50, and Suave Naturals (Just not the Coconut), CALI
  • CopaseticCopasetic Posts: 222Registered Users
    Elphie2983 wrote: »
    http://www.bestweekever.tv/2009-6-1/split-ends-nick-arrojo-replaced-on-what-not-to-wear/

Just found that online! Interesting...maybe now there can be some curl action? *hopes*

I was just about to post the news of Nick's replacement! I have only seen him do one woman's hair so far, and she had straight hair, so I don't know if he is more curl friendly yet. I'm hoping he is :D
    co-wash: exact vanilla
    rinse out: tresseme naturals
    leave-in: giovanni direct leave-in
    stylers: kccc + he totally twisted mousse + coconut oil to sotc
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Copasetic wrote: »
    Elphie2983 wrote: »

I was just about to post the news of Nick's replacement! I have only seen him do one woman's hair so far, and she had straight hair, so I don't know if he is more curl friendly yet. I'm hoping he is :D

He took a longhaired curly and made her a shoulder length straightie. :(
    i want a dislike function!
  • amber-skyamber-sky Posts: 9Registered Users
    I did notice this myself.
    It's nice to know a person looks good with both straight and curly hair.

But really, what's wrong with your natural curls?

This is kind of OT, but I have issues with this show anyway. I think it's great for those who don't really have a style or are having trouble or something like that. However, I wish the show would not attack alternative fashions. They may not be the norm, but it's wrong to make fun of someone who likes to wear punk, goth, lolita, etc. I mean if people like to wear that stuff, let them. They obviously like it, whether people think it looks horrid or not (as long as you don't wear it to work.) But whatever, I digress.

Anyway, I sort of connect it to hair also. I want to go natural. There may be times where I want to straighten my hair, but ultimately my curl is me. At least the new hairstylist seems to know what he's doing (and maybe help out some of the woman of color as well as those with curly hair.)

A week or so ago, there was a black girl, 30 years old, (who was into alt fashion ironically) and I was shocked to hear that she said that she would shave it off because she didn't know what to do with it. I don't know if she meant style-wise or not..but it also makes me wonder if she even bothers to try and take care of it in general. The stylist however, did not put in a relaxer BUT he did straighten it with a pressing comb, so I'm glad about that. Don't change the texture if you can still achieve the style. I won't say whether it looked good or not, but I know if she's too lazy to know how to take care of her 4type hair, she won't be able to keep up that combed straight style on her own.
  • AppleCurlsAppleCurls Posts: 19Registered Users
    Okay, so I was watching a new episode of What Not To Wear today, with the new hairstylist- and the woman kept her curls!

I like the idea of giving them curl-friendly styles, even if they're straight for the reveal, I just hope they teach them how to wear it curly off camera.
    high porosity, fine texture

modCG since April 2008!
  • fabisebienfabisebien Posts: 76Registered Users
    I've actually seen a few episodes where Nick works with the contestants curls, I think he is very curly friendly, since he has curly hair. He always uses a shine serum on them. He will always ask if they work with or against their curls, so I guess it all depends on their answer. There was this one episode where Nick had this woman with black very defined curly hair straighten, but it was some kind of special, and she was going to a red carpet event with some soap opera star, so it was just cause it was a special occasion. I haven't seen it in a while, so maybe it's just recently that they've been doing that. But I do love that show.
    New Staples: As I Am: Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner and Leave-In Conditioner.
    Method For Styling: Rake and Shake. And Let Air Dry.

Bird! [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    from what i've seen, nick will work with the curls, give them a curly style, only if they are a 3c and above. all wavies, 3as get their hair straightened with the flat iron -- it's like he does not recognize the potential in their hair and what a good stylist could bring out, he just straightens it.
    i did see the new stylist once, and he did the same -- it was a woman who had wavy, maybe some 3a hair and he straightened it. all she needed was a good cut, lots of moisture, and she could have been a wow!!
    all they do is make dry hair more dry with all the heat styling. i don't believe they make the most of most of the women i see on the show. as soon as i see a wavy, 3a woman and then i see nick pull out the blow dryer, i have to turn off the tv!!!
    maybe they don't know when they see a woman with some wavy hair, that she needs moisture and a good cut, and maybe she is actually a 3a, or a beautiful wavy. i think they don't see it. a curl has to be very dramatic for them to see.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • ResRes Posts: 2,911Registered Users
    I used to love this show. I just haven't watched it recently. What time is it on?

But yes, more working with the curls would be nice.
    3A/B - low-normal porosity - med to coarse texture

Shampoo - GTTTT
    Co-Wash - As I Am Coconut Cowash
    RO - GVP Cond. Balm, Tresemme Naturals, Yes to Carrots Nourishing, AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cream Headdress
    DT - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholestrol, SM Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment
    Stylers - BRHG (old formula is my HG, but the new one has silicones)

Trying out - MGA Sculpting Gel, LA Sports Gel, Got2b Spiked Gel, Got2b Glued
  • ResRes Posts: 2,911Registered Users
    I watched tonight, though not a curly the new guy seems very good. He is so sweet and personal.
    3A/B - low-normal porosity - med to coarse texture

Shampoo - GTTTT
    Co-Wash - As I Am Coconut Cowash
    RO - GVP Cond. Balm, Tresemme Naturals, Yes to Carrots Nourishing, AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cream Headdress
    DT - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholestrol, SM Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment
    Stylers - BRHG (old formula is my HG, but the new one has silicones)

Trying out - MGA Sculpting Gel, LA Sports Gel, Got2b Spiked Gel, Got2b Glued
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users
    I have seen quite a few curlies. Most of the time Nick says he is going to give them a cut that they can wear both curly and straight. I watch mostly re-runs though. I haven't seen the new guy yet.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file