Stressing Out About Hair

turncoatturncoat Posts: 6Registered Users
OK first things first... I have naturally curly wavy hair and everytime i shampoo, the curls and waviness go away and the result is a big puff of hair on my head. basically, my hair gets all dried out. then when a few days go by w/o shampooing, the curls come back, especially when i drench my hair in water and my hair easily retains the water. why though? why everytime i shampoo, my hair gets all dried out? i only shampoo once a week. any recommendations to solve this dilemma? what products should i use? any advice? please?

I've just bought TRESEMEE SHAMPOO FOR CURLY HAIR. Any Good?

Comments

• botticelli_girl922botticelli_girl922 Posts: 896Registered Users
    Hello :) Yes, I'm not a "curly man", but I just happened to come across this *ahem* and I think maybe I can help you.

Sounds like your hair needs moisture, but let me be sure. Tell me a little about your routine. Do you use any conditoner? Products? Do you towel dry it? So yeah, just answer a few of those questions and I may be able to help. :)
    Curl Type: 2c-3a, Medium thickness, Normal Porosity
    Weekly Low-poo: TJ Pure Castile Soap
    Co-wash: V05 Strawberries and Cream
    Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm (Possibly HG!), GF Triple Nutrition
    Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

Life has many choices. Eternity has two. What's yours?
  • turncoatturncoat Posts: 6Registered Users
    I don't shampoo.

The only product I use is a conditioner with no cones, and I use this as a leave-in as well.

I towel dry my hair but not aggressively. I kinda pat and srunch.

I don't know what to do with my hair after the shower.
    How to I leave the hair to dry etc.

Hope this helps you help me :D
  • botticelli_girl922botticelli_girl922 Posts: 896Registered Users
    turncoat wrote: »
    I don't shampoo.

The only product I use is a conditioner with no cones, and I use this as a leave-in as well.

I towel dry my hair but not aggressively. I kinda pat and srunch.

I don't know what to do with my hair after the shower.
    How to I leave the hair to dry etc.

Hope this helps you help me :D

Okay...so from what you said, you just use one type of conditioner. I would recommend first buying a light conditioner (like Suave or V05, they're both pretty inexpensive). Just get a regular one with not too much scent because they might smell a bit too strong and flowery for you. Use that as your co-wash (conditioner-wash). Is there too much protein in the conditioner you're currently using? Sometimes too much protein makes your hair strangely frizzy and make it feel like straw. Then buy a thicker conditioner (don't worry if it's more directed toward women...it'll just be harder if you are looking for mens' hair products). Use that as your main moisturizing conditioner, and use it as you would conditioner, rather than using it as shampoo. Thicker conditioners are available at drugstores.

Here's a little info on protein: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=78893

Next, throw out the towel! Terrycloth is terrible for curly hair. It provokes frizz and fluffiness. And don't dry your hair with anything. Scrunch it (I'll go more into detail in a moment).

Apply your product (experiment with different products for curly hair, gels work pretty well). Just try a bunch of curly hair stying products from the drugstore (or you can look around CurlMart and order something you're interested in). Read some reviews on this site. They're helpful, and they can assist you in choosing the right product. Also, try emailing CurlySuzy and describe your hair, and she may be able to recommend a product.

After applying product to sopping-wet hair, scrunch it with an old t-shirt (not a towel!) Tilt your head to one side and let the curls fall to that side. Then, with the t-shirt, place it under the curls and lift it repeatedly. Do that for 30 seconds. Wait 6 minutes (without touching it!), apply more product, and scrunch again.

After you've done all of that, don't touch it until it dries!! I really need to emphasize this. Really. Don't touch it at all.

About brushing: Don't use brushes, only a wide-toothed comb and your fingers. You can do this while your hair is wet (inside the shower), and be sure to be gentle. If you do it after a shower, it might make frizz.

I really hope I helped! Good luck with your hair :) If you have any questions, I'll be coming back to this thread to answer them. Again, good luck!
    Curl Type: 2c-3a, Medium thickness, Normal Porosity
    Weekly Low-poo: TJ Pure Castile Soap
    Co-wash: V05 Strawberries and Cream
    Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm (Possibly HG!), GF Triple Nutrition
    Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

Life has many choices. Eternity has two. What's yours?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file