Medical Massage?

ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
I have a minor back injury from using a Weed Whacker last week, and have strained a muscle. My doctor recommended some massage, but called it "medical massage" and said it's rather different from relaxation massage. I know it will concentrate on the injured area.

Has anyone ever had a treatment like this? Is there anything unusual I should expect? It sounds kind of tiring, based on her description, but I'm anxious to be rid of this ache.

TIA

Comments

• 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    I've never had one, but it sounds like a great idea - especially if you got a prescription for a series of them that your health insurance company will pay for... Hope you feel better soon!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• WavyVetWavyVet Registered Users Posts: 9
    I get tension head aches from referred pain in my neck and shoulder muscles. I have had medical massages after chiropractic adjustment, which felt great. I recently had a massage as part of a spa day I got as a gift--it was kind of intense (I had a hard time relaxing) and I was sore for two days afterward...it was different, not bad per se, but not as beneficial as the others.

My advice would be to try to relax as much as you can and to communicate with the massage therapist if it gets too uncomfortable or intense. Also, if you will be getting massages for ongoing treatment, if don't have a great experience with one masseuse, that doesn't mean that you won't with another.

It has always been recommended to me to stay well hydrated the day of a massage and to lightly ice the sore areas afterwards (but your masseuse or doctor may have other directions).
    "You become responsible forever for what you have tamed." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    It's been helpful. Not necessarily comfortable, but helpful.

Thank you!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file