Child wearing overalls while toilet-training or after?

AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
I love overalls on JJ - long ones in winter and short ones in summer. They're so cute and it's so easy to dress him in them, and people always give them to him as gifts. But my mama says that during toilet training or when a small child has just been trained, they're a problem getting down and up and hard for the child to do themself. Yet I see that stores make them in 2T, 3T, 4T sizes and people seem to buy them. For those who toilet trained your kids, were overalls annoying or was it possible to still wear them? Was there a big difference in overalls and regular sweats or jeans?
Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Comments

• CocoaCoilyCocoaCoily Posts: 2,648Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I kind of remember my little one just pulling them off at the shoulder, rather than undoing them.

Of course, regular bottoms are going to be much easier, especially if they wait until the last minute. So, maybe be prepared for maybe an extra accident now and again.
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    I love overalls on my kids, too, but not when we are potty training. I make sure they have bottoms on they can pull down themselves. It is just easier when they can do it themselves.

Of course, 2 of my kids preferred to be without clothes most of the time....
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't recall my kids wearing overalls much after pottytraining. They are just too much of a PITA to get on and off. Elastic waistband pants are the way to go.
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    Some of my favorite memories of my son as a toddler, was him in denim overalls and his red high-top sneakers. So adorable! When he started potty-training however, having a pull on pant was much easier and less frustrating for him. Sometimes, they need to go NOW and overalls may lead to a few more accidents.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    I agree. I also love how DS looks in overalls...so cute! My mom thinks they're the best invention because you don't have to worry about their pants falling down.

Right now, DS is potty trained...but is often running to the potty holding his privates saying "I have to pee/poop" For the time being, I don't think overalls are a good option...but I will dress him in them again. I should actually see if he is capable of taking overalls off.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    During potty training, I think no pants is the way to go. Now that C is pretty much trained, I plan to stick with elastic waist pants that are easy to pull up and down. I love the look of overalls too, but I want to make it as easy as possible for him to pull them down on his own.
    ehLB.jpg
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    Overalls are darn cute, but a serious PITA during potty training. So are pants w/ snaps. :( It takes quite a bit longer to get undressed and that extra minute can make the difference between making it to the potty on time and an accident. In my experience, most little ones (especially at the beginning of potty training) wait until the last minute to go.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    We said goodbye to both overalls and onesies at potty training time.

DS has been trained for over a year but we still stick to elastic waist pants and shorts because its easier for him to be independent.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love overalls. Xander has worn them in every size. We had no potty training troubles. He is usually able to just drop the overalls down without actually unbuckling them. I may have an edge there because he is so freakishly skinny.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i'll be the odd one out. for us, what the type of clothing she wears/wore didnt make a difference. as a matter of fact, im going to probably buy her a pair of overalls (i think theyre adorble) and hoping that being skinny will help her just slide out of them too.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    We said goodbye to both overalls and onesies at potty training time.

Same here. I will miss those long sleeve onesies from Children's place this winter. They were great to go under things.

As for elastic waistbands, Chas refuses to wear any pants with them unless everything else is dirty. He wants snaps so I just make sure the tabs are lose enough on the side he can pull his shorts down without undoing them. Seems to work.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    DarkAngel wrote: »
    I love overalls. Xander has worn them in every size. We had no potty training troubles. He is usually able to just drop the overalls down without actually unbuckling them. I may have an edge there because he is so freakishly skinny.

J is very skinny too, and tall, so he usually has to wear clothes that fit in length but are too wide. That's one reason I like overalls, because it's hard to find him pants that stay up. I'll try sliding them down and see what happens.

What about the snaps up the legs? Does anyone try using those instead of taking them down from the shoulders?
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Amneris - the issue with PTing is that you are constantly taking them to the potty...sometimes it will feel like every 30 minutes, just for a little dribble of pee. And you need to be able to get them out of their pants quickly, because they will wait until the absolute last second to tell you that they have to go. And not to mention in public restrooms.

So while you can train them in anything, its a matter of convenience to have pants that are easily pulled down and back up.
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    Amneris - My DS also needs the length in pants, but often the waist is too big. I got a Myself Belt for him. He can still wear pants that he can easily pull down when he has to go to the bathroom.

I bought these at a store here in Edmonton, so I am certain you'll be able to find them somewhere where you live.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
    You guys don't buy adjustable waist pants for your skinny boys? That's all Karan wears... they sell them everywhere now. I have Walmart ones, Gap, Old Navy, Carters....

Otherwise I put a stitch in the waist to narrow it. At age 4, he's a 5 in length and a 3 in waist.
    Adjustable waist pants are the best invention. Seriously.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

• ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    You guys don't buy adjustable waist pants for your skinny boys? That's all Karan wears... they sell them everywhere now. I have Walmart ones, Gap, Old Navy, Carters....

Otherwise I put a stitch in the waist to narrow it. At age 4, he's a 5 in length and a 3 in waist.
    nynaeve77 wrote: »

Love these things. They are great for all of my kids.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users

They don't get small enough for him unfortunately...

.png

534Pm5.png

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ruralcurls wrote: »

nynaeve77 wrote: »

Love these things. They are great for all of my kids.

That's all my skinny youngest boy has worn for years. However, he's 9 now, and still skinny as a rail, and they no longer make the elastic waist jeans in his size, adjustable or otherwise. Even buying "slims", he has to wear a belt now...he hates belts. So do I...I can't tell you how many times I've washed a belt because he accidently left it on his pants.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I buy almost exclusively adjustable waist items. Xan is nearing 5 in length but can still wear his 18mth swim trunks from two years ago.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
    Amneris wrote: »

They don't get small enough for him unfortunately...

Oh, I would definitely keep looking. The ones we have have can get really tight! Karan has always been above 80th percentile for height and less than 15th percentile for weight. He is as tall and skinny as they come. Seriously, these pants make life sooo much easier.

Dark Angel - LOL at Xander in the 18mo swimsuit. That must be quite a sight! Karan has a pair of size 2 shorts that are just obscene, but he loves to wear them.
    DarkAngel wrote: »
    I buy almost exclusively adjustable waist items. Xan is nearing 5 in length but can still wear his 18mth swim trunks from two years ago.

Danae isn't quite that tall (she's about average height), but I had to buy her an 18 mo. swimsuit this year. She has almost no booty and really narrow hips. A 3T slid right off! :)

• deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    another skinny kid here--although he is in 3t tops and 18 month pants/shorts--we wear belts a lot here also.

I also found in gym pants/shorts he can wear them up a size and they actually fit him and do not fall down.

If i cannot find the pants with the adjustable waist I dart them in the back until they fit then take it out
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file