Best home made mist/spray

2»

Comments

• KeihsKeihs Posts: 435Registered Users
    I've made different recipes and I think they could work for you depending on your hair.

I've used diluted honey. It helps with definition, moisture cuz it's a humectant, and lightening (just heat it up or microwave it if you dont want lightening)

Infused vinegar or just plain vinegar if you can stand the smell.. I've infused tea bags and orange peels or lemon peels with it and it really helped with the smell. Some people even said it smelled nice and I've tried different recipes too. It could be citrusy if you used lemon or orange peels or floral with chamomile hibiscus.. Whatever you want. Or you could add cinnamon sticks, but it can also lighten. Just a table spoon in water is enough. Make sure you dilute it when you need it. And you dont need to refrigerate it until you add water.

You can use plain rosewater - you can infuse it too like with the vinegar.

Aloe vera - im not sure but I've heard good things about it. Some say it's really moisturizing and some say it has traces of protein. Just try to get it as pure as it can be.. Some have alcohol in them.

Tea - chamomile is supposed to be conditioning and lightening, hibiscus is supposed to be conditioning, black tea is supposed to help with shedding. You should probably refrigerate it cuz it goes bad. My chamomile went bad in a week

Diluted conditioner

Oil and water - lightly and a little is enough.. No one wants greasy hair.

You can even try a mixture of this if you want. Ask me questions if you have any, pretty much all of this is from experience..
  • NicurlNicurl Posts: 1Registered Users
    After reading up on DIY mists for 2nd day curls I made my own and love the results!

I used:
    • 150ml distilled water
    • 3 pumps leave-in conditioner
    • 1 tsp coconut oil (not 100% pure which is thick, but a liquid form or it will clog up your spray nozzle)
    • 5 drops lavender essential oil
    Shake very well and spray over hair to lightly dampen but not wet. Scrunch and let air dry and...voilà! Great 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. day curls!

Depending on your hair you can adjust the ingredients for more/less moisturising, scent etc.
    Whirly curly gurly type 3A, living it and loving it!
  • mariymariy Posts: 6Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Simply mix the following ingredients together in a spray bottle:
    4 drops of vitamin E oil
    1/2 cup of rose water
    1/2 cup distilled water
    2 drops of ylang ylang essential oil
    2 drops of rose essential oil
  • fihefihe Posts: 101Registered Users
    fihe wrote: »
    Lately I've been using a spray with a little epsom salt and glycerin dissolved in water to enhance my waves. After I finish this batch, I think I'll try using some kind of oil instead of glycerin.

If I can find the unused oil mister in my house (or maybe buy a new one, if my mom got rid of it), I think I will make my own sheen spray once I finish the one I have. It seems like the brand I own (Profectiv Mega Growth) is the ONLY brand on the market that doesn't contain mineral oil. But I'd like to try my own custom blend of oils!

Hey, I forgot I wrote in this thread years ago :) I just made my own spray again, with the following:

70% water
    ~20% aloe vera gel
    ~10% glycerin
    2-3% vitamin E oil
    1-2% sunflower/peppermint oil blend

I also wanted to use epsom salt, but I am currently out. I will buy more tomorrow. You'll notice that I used quite a bit of aloe vera gel, which I left out completely last time, plus added some oils. I don't think I would use sheen spray at all at this time, whether store-bought or DIY, because my hair is not as dry as it used to be years ago. I haven't colored it in over 2 years, almost never use heat on it, and got a lot of it cut off last year, leaving me with only virgin hair.

As for the spray I made today, I applied several sprays and my hair felt a little sticky, no doubt from the glycerin, so then I also put some plain water on my hair and scrunched it a bit. (Might either transfer the mixture to a larger bottle and add more water, or spray plain water on my hair after the curl refresher spray.) It's been just a few minutes and it looks more wavy/curly already, but is noticeably frizzy. Any ideas?

Edit: After 20-30 minutes (maybe less, but I wasn't paying attention), my hair isn't quite so frizzy. However, I would still like to hear some humidity-friendly suggestions for curl refresher spray.
    Check out my new blog:
    My Type 2 Hair
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,715Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Sorry there's no measurements but this is what I mix together for a
    Honey Hair Shine Spray
    distilled water, honey, aloe, lemon juice, vit E oil, fragrance oil
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Great thread!
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file