belly dancing

luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
any belly dancers here? i bought the essential bellydance cd by neena & veena, the belly twins...i love it....i took a class years ago....i think i will start practicing on my own again and maybe take a class since there are some offered around town...there was a neat article in my pilatessyle magazine about adding belly dancing to a regular pilates workout....

belly dancers please chime in!!!
a dreamy pisces :fish:
please recycle, it matters...
i change lives...through fitness
i'm more relaxed being natural

Comments

• nepanthenepanthe Posts: 292Registered Users
    I would love to learn how to belly dance. Which issue of Pilates Style magazine was this article in?
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    the one currently on the newsstands. i think july/aug...the lady has on yellow and orange and green i believe (don't have it in front of me)...
  • CurlyCurliesCurlyCurlies Posts: 1,641Registered Users
    I have a video that I like to workout with called Bellydance, Fitness for weight loss featuring Raina. I like it, she takes it slow and explains everything.
    33abhqq.gif
  • curlicious3bcurlicious3b Posts: 458Registered Users
    yeah, I love belly dancing. You'll definitely like to take the classes again.
    3c
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    I took a bellydance class at my yoga studio when they had an open house. It was fun! I suspect my BF would like it if I took up bellydance...
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've been taking classes for about six years. I love it!
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
    curlycurlies....ironically i JUST bought that dvd this weekend at borders before reading this post...watching it today!!
    i went to a belly dance class at the gym tonight and loved it!!! my hips sort of hurt in a good way! i loved it...i think i'm gonna try to go to the class each week. i was inspired after going to a show at the belly dance school last weekend....

ladies let's start those hip rolls and snake arms!!
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My friend owns a studio here in boston: http://www.meiver.com
    I took a class with her and I realized that I really suck at it LOL
    BUT I do have a bigger appreciation for Middle Eastern music, which I absolutely love. One day I'll be as good as Shakira (in my dreams LOL)
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Yay Bellydancing!

I've been taking classes on and off for the last 3 years (I keep getting interrupted by pregnancy). Its so much fun.

I just love the jingle of the coin belts!
    Yay Bellydancing!

I've been taking classes on and off for the last 3 years (I keep getting interrupted by pregnancy). Its so much fun.

i'm going to get me a hip scarf tomorrow. my teacher told me a place where i can get them at a good price...hmm...i wonder if belly dancing is linked to fertility :lol:
  • firelilyfirelily Posts: 1,298Registered Users
    luvmylocs wrote:
    Yay Bellydancing!

i'm going to get me a hip scarf tomorrow. my teacher told me a place where i can get them at a good price...hmm...i wonder if belly dancing is linked to fertility :lol:

I've been dancing on and off (only got serious about it this past year) for 12 years now, and I've never been pregnant. This is a good thing!!!

And yay for trying something new!!!

Here's a video of my troupe from last winter. I'm the one with the curly hair and big belly. Please excuse my very obvious flub of the choreo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYoapgPETrA
    Lots and lots of fine 3b-ish hair.
    DevaCurl currently, but exploring new products.
    Love the hair!
    WOW firelily you were GREAT!!!! i love the video. thanks for sharing :D

i love chest pops (don't know the real name but i'll learn) and i like the move where you shake/move your bottom then you roll it to the top. that is neat you have a troupe to dance with. if i get more advanced i'd like something like that. i took classes more than 4 years ago but a lot of it came back to me.

firelily if you can recommend any good dvd's that are at the intermediate level i'd love the titles (i'd like to have something to work towards). i bought the tarkan cd today with the kiss song we danced off that last night...i actually use that song in my cycle class. any music suggestions would be appreciated too....

you're my new web belly dancing buddy :wink: if you accept!!
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    luvmylocs wrote:
    Yay Bellydancing!

A few years ago I got outbid on a beautiful hip scarf at the absolute last second, since I couldn't have that scarf, I saved the picture and I will get one just like it someday, even if I have to make it myself. here it is.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/cympreni/wrap.jpg?t=1182042016

I had no idea what I would wear it with, I was learning through a book at the time, but for something that pretty I'd find something!
    firelily wrote:
    luvmylocs wrote:
    Yay Bellydancing!

I've been dancing on and off (only got serious about it this past year) for 12 years now, and I've never been pregnant. This is a good thing!!!

And yay for trying something new!!!

Here's a video of my troupe from last winter. I'm the one with the curly hair and big belly. Please excuse my very obvious flub of the choreo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYoapgPETrA

That was REALLY good.
  • firelilyfirelily Posts: 1,298Registered Users
    luvmylocs wrote:
    WOW firelily you were GREAT!!!! i love the video. thanks for sharing :D

i love chest pops (don't know the real name but i'll learn) and i like the move where you shake/move your bottom then you roll it to the top. that is neat you have a troupe to dance with. if i get more advanced i'd like something like that. i took classes more than 4 years ago but a lot of it came back to me.

firelily if you can recommend any good dvd's that are at the intermediate level i'd love the titles (i'd like to have something to work towards). i bought the tarkan cd today with the kiss song we danced off that last night...i actually use that song in my cycle class. any music suggestions would be appreciated too....

you're my new web belly dancing buddy :wink: if you accept!!

Thanks, luvmylocks, and of course, belly dance buddies are great!! :D

Unfortunately the troupe is on hiatus, and is probably not going to get back together, but we'll see. It was really fun while it lasted, and I still get to take classes with my troupe buddies.

I'm really digging Rachel Bryce's yoga & belly dance video right now. I don't do too many videos, but have friends who do. Jillina's volume 2 video has been suggested as a good for intermediate level.

Cympreni, that scarf is beautiful!! And thanks! :wink:
    Lots and lots of fine 3b-ish hair.
    DevaCurl currently, but exploring new products.
    Love the hair!
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Firelily - you look great in that video!!

I'm not sure if bellydancing contributed to my pregnancies but all I can say is that if any of you find yourself pregnant - keep dancing! The hip moves feel awesome during the first trimester ickies!
    cympreni that scarf is so pretty...i love it!! how much was it do you remember?

firelily thanks for the recommendations!! my teacher told me that Alabina is good to watch on you tube.

mad scientist i'm almost certain there is a pregnant bellydance dvd on amazon. hold on...here it is prenatal bellydance
    luvmylocs wrote:
    cympreni that scarf is so pretty...i love it!! how much was it do you remember?

I dont remember it's been several years, but not very expensive, less the 20 bucks, I wouldn't have even thought about it otherwise as I had very little money at that time. I'm still bummed about losing that auction, I still have the pic because going out and finding that fabric and making my own is on my very big long project list.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file