When "Straighties" Curl Their Hair.

VictoriaBrownVictoriaBrown Posts: 2Registered Users
Hello, I'm a pretty new member and a long-time lurker on this site. Something recently happened that I feel the need to complain about.
So a few days ago me and some friends were all meeting up. I, like most of us here on naturally curly, slave over my 2c/3a hair and thought I had finally found the perfect combination of shampoo/conditioner/product, etc. So I left the house with my hair looking good, and met up with some friends and low and behold- one of ones I hadn't known for that long had NOT straightened her hair before leaving, and so it had a slight wave to it (When I say "curly" hair. Why does nobody get slight, I seriously mean it. It was maybe like, on *bump* in her hair and a bit more volume.) and all through the night, she was getting compliments. I mean, I hardly noticed until I had gone home and thought about it, but I was surprised. Does anybody know what the definition curly hair is anymore? (I've gotten to many bad haircuts from stylists who didn't know how to work with my curls :P)

Comments

• CurlyEyesCurlyEyes Posts: 2,983Registered Users
    why do you need to complain about it? jealousy? sorry no one noticed your hard work, but a friend not straightening is a GOOD things, and not something to be all *****y middle school about.
    made up of 98.822% silliness!!

beautiful_wonderful_fabulous_jade_antm.gif
  • lodylody Posts: 334Registered Users
    CurlyEyes wrote: »
    why do you need to complain about it? jealousy? sorry no one noticed your hard work, but a friend not straightening is a GOOD things, and not something to be all *****y middle school about.
    Why the immediate rude response? Obviously she's unhappy because she spent a ton of time on her hair, and thinks the other one did not (we have no clue--she may have spent a ton of time too), and it's annoying for the other friend to get all the compliments xD It may be a childish thing but I understand it!

To the original poster, I have to agree on your last point, I find it bizarre when barely wavy hair is called curly. It seems like a segregation of "pin straight hair" and "the rest, labelled as curly". I think if I was a wavy it would get on my nerves!
    3a in Paris
    I use:
    Garnier Ultra Doux conditioners
    High in glycerin conditioners
    As much gel as possible
    Testing out flax seed gel
    Plopping, for around 30 minutes
    Pixiecurl drying
    Pineappling

• CurlyEyesCurlyEyes Posts: 2,983Registered Users
    because almost everyone who posts here whines about percieved insults that weren't there. it drives me crazy when people insist that everyone hatez my curlz!11 when really, you're making something out of nothing.

and wavy hair is curly. it has challenges as curly hair does and there is no grand scale of curliness to live up to. and straight hair isn't all that easy to work with either.
    made up of 98.822% silliness!!

beautiful_wonderful_fabulous_jade_antm.gif
  • lodylody Posts: 334Registered Users
    I didn't think she was worried about an insult, so much as "sigh, notice me too!" ah well.

As for wavy = curly, I guess that's just a matter of what you choose to call it? I would not call it the same. Which is NOT to say it doesn't have challenges! I never said that. Completely unrelated. Neither did I say wavies should try to be curlies. I had gorgeous waves when I was young that I could even brush, and I miss them quite a bit. Same goes for straight.
    3a in Paris
    I use:
    Garnier Ultra Doux conditioners
    High in glycerin conditioners
    As much gel as possible
    Testing out flax seed gel
    Plopping, for around 30 minutes
    Pixiecurl drying
    Pineappling

• nutterbutterflynutterbutterfly Posts: 137Registered Users
    If I were you, I wouldn't take it as an insult... just another crazy thing people say. Plus, if you always wear your hair curly and this was a first (or rare) thing for her, novelty is always cause for comments.

But... I agree. I think it's ridiculous when people go all ga-ga over curling-iron-curls but ignore the real ones. I think it's kinda funny when barely wavy heads (like the one you talked about) talk about how insanely curly their hair is.

I'm not saying that barely wavy hair isn't challenging... I know for a fact, having a sister of that type, that it is... I'm just saying, call it for what it is. Then again, everybody has their own definition of what is curly and what is not.
    I am a 3a/b with normal-coarse hair that is medium-thick and fairly porous.

Currently using:
    ~VitaminShampoo (CG :mrgreen: )
    ~L'oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss for medium to long hair that's curly/wavy
    ......wow that is a mouthful.
    ~Garnier Fructis curl-shaping spray gel
    *or*
    ~Pantene curl defining mousse
  • zeldagoblinzeldagoblin Posts: 575Registered Users
    I think what happens is people comment on anything people do differently. When I went straight, people went insane lol. But people who haven't seen me for years and see me now go omg your hair looks amazing. But if they had seen me yesterday, they wouldn't say it today, if that makes sense.

I have my own theory about why straight is better to so many people. I think it is down to status. Yes, the media plays a massive role, but think about it, these girls who have money coming out of their ears can spend it on changing what is natural about themselves, and since the majority of the population has at least SOME curl, then the elite must surely pay to look different from the rest of us peasants. Trouble with that is, everyone else clamours to do the same lol! But yeah I think the main thing is, look I have money and I can spend it on THIS. I read that back and now I'm not so sure, but hell I'll post anyway lol
    Here are my curly pics, password is fuzz

http://public.fotki.com/zeldagoblin/

But then again, too few to mention...
  • shorticurlzshorticurlz Posts: 1,056Registered Users
    because almost everyone who posts here whines about percieved insults that weren't there. it drives me crazy when people insist that everyone hatez my curlz!11 when really, you're making something out of nothing.

and wavy hair is curly. it has challenges as curly hair does and there is no grand scale of curliness to live up to. and straight hair isn't all that easy to work with either.

Yikes CurlyEyes! Why even check the 'hall of shame' discussions if all you're going to do is get annoyed and write unhelpful replies?

VictoriaBrown, I agree with what others have said, people are likely to compliment something new that they haven't seen on that person before. Same thing happens when someone gets a new haircut etc. Don't take it to heart.
    Fine, very porous 3a
    Boycotting all brands owned by L'oreal
  • botticelli_girl922botticelli_girl922 Posts: 896Registered Users

Okay. Both of your responses were rather rude, Curly eyes. I don't think you have any place in this part of the forum if you're going to say the things you do, as mdrb said.
    Curl Type: 2c-3a, Medium thickness, Normal Porosity
    Weekly Low-poo: TJ Pure Castile Soap
    Co-wash: V05 Strawberries and Cream
    Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm (Possibly HG!), GF Triple Nutrition
    Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

Life has many choices. Eternity has two. What's yours?
  • smo6767smo6767 Posts: 409Registered Users
    I disagree with the fact that their posts were completely 'rude' (although I suppose we could have done without the cursing, curlyeyes...). I don't know why you need to complain about someone who got compliments on her hair, but that being said, I can see why you would be worked up and envious over her, because you spent a lot of time on your hair. I agree with some of the previous posters; you can't say for sure that she spent no time on her hair, she might have spent more time on it then you! And some people have preferences of what kind of hair they like and therefore compliment. Just because they complimented her and not you doesn't mean your hair didn't look great. We can't hog all the compliments and get angry when someone else gets just a few (green eyed monster, anyone?). Sorry for the long post, but the point is, think about how many times people have commented on your hair and not the person next to you, or across the room from you. Maybe that person felt the same way as you do now, and it was their turn for a compliment. Just something to consider...
    ICONATOR_bb56511c0b5e53f5d21289611d11a822.gif
  • Fluffy4evaFluffy4eva Posts: 156Registered Users
    I think what happens is people comment on anything people do differently. When I went straight, people went insane lol. But people who haven't seen me for years and see me now go omg your hair looks amazing. But if they had seen me yesterday, they wouldn't say it today, if that makes sense.

I have my own theory about why straight is better to so many people. I think it is down to status. Yes, the media plays a massive role, but think about it, these girls who have money coming out of their ears can spend it on changing what is natural about themselves, and since the majority of the population has at least SOME curl, then the elite must surely pay to look different from the rest of us peasants. Trouble with that is, everyone else clamours to do the same lol! But yeah I think the main thing is, look I have money and I can spend it on THIS. I read that back and now I'm not so sure, but hell I'll post anyway lol

I couldnt agree any more whole heartedly with this post ;o) Frankly, when I straighten my hair I get tons of compliments even when surrounded by my straight-haired friends who can pull the look off better. and when one of my mates goes curly, she gets the "wow you look good with curly hair" treatment while I get the "hi hun" automated response...
    If someones made an effort to do something different, its only polite to acknowledge it in some way ;o)
    UK Curly
    Boots essentials range - Co-wash
    Aussie Miracle Moist - Conditioner
    Any non-cone Leavein I can find (its not easy)
    Boots essentials - Gel

Always brush with a comb. and wrap in a microfibre towel to dry.
  • smo6767smo6767 Posts: 409Registered Users
    Fluffy4eva wrote: »

I couldnt agree any more whole heartedly with this post ;o) Frankly, when I straighten my hair I get tons of compliments even when surrounded by my straight-haired friends who can pull the look off better. and when one of my mates goes curly, she gets the "wow you look good with curly hair" treatment while I get the "hi hun" automated response...
    If someones made an effort to do something different, its only polite to acknowledge it in some way ;o)

Like Fluffy4eva, I could not possibly agree with this any more than I do. The same thing happens to me- almost all of my friends have straight hair. When I straighten mine, com-pli-ments! When I don't, it's just normal and everyone is used to it.
    ICONATOR_bb56511c0b5e53f5d21289611d11a822.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file