Essential steps for a simple makeup

McCurlyMcCurly Posts: 200Registered Users
Hi,

I wish to keep my makeup as simple as possible so here I have some questions to ask:
What would be the most important steps regarding eye makeup? Liner or colors from eyeshasows ?
A professional told me this: "Eyeliners can be worn with or without eye shadow. But if you're wearing eyeshadow, you must apply eyeliner".
What do you think about?

Following this remark I was thinking about this routine:
(1) foundation or sun powder if needed
(2) concealer if needed
(3) liner
(4) mascara
(5) moisturizer for lips

I would like to be able to skip the step number (3) but I don't really like my look with only mascara. For some reason I than prefer my face nude.

For special occasions, I would add an eyeshadow and some lipstick.

How does it sound?
Do some of you wear eyeshadow only with mascara?
Corkscrew 3B

Comments

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    This is my usual routine -
    - tinted moisturizer
    - mineral foundation
    - blush/bronzer (on cheeks, forehead, chin, eyelids)
    - waterproof mascara
    - lipstick

I don't often wear eyeshadow or eyeliner, but I've worn shadow alone and liner alone. I see no reason for the rule that one needs to wear both.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    McCurly wrote:
    A professional told me this: "Eyeliners can be worn with or without eye shadow. But if you're wearing eyeshadow, you must apply eyeliner".
    What do you think about?
    That is completely untrue. I know people who wear eyeshadow all the time and that's the only makeup they wear. It looks fine.
    3b-3c CG
  • McCurlyMcCurly Posts: 200Registered Users
    Blush wrote:
    That is completely untrue. I know people who wear eyeshadow all the time and that's the only makeup they wear. It looks fine.
    You see! I even can't trust professional!!! I am in the processo of finding my style so I went to salons and someone told me that liners are a must, that eyeshadow without liner was not good, etc.
    In another salon I left a pro put makeup on my face to show me the best tools, colors, etc. Pink was a "must have" basis with a black pencil or a black shadwo as a liner.
    In another place it was orange with brown!!!!

And I felt too made up, it was not natural enough for me.

It is tough to find THE way, good tips and reliable people.

Jeepcurlygirl wrote:
    I don't often wear eyeshadow or eyeliner, but I've worn shadow alone and liner alone. I see no reason for the rule that one needs to wear both.
    Me neither :wink: That's I would like to understand.
    Corkscrew 3B
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    This is my basic routine:

Face powder
    Tinted eyebrow gel (I have a few thin spots on my brows)
    mascara

During the week I usually wear eyeliner and lipgloss too. Sometimes I do on the weekend as well, depends on my mood. Sometimes a little blush in the winter when I'm feeling pale.

I do ocassionaly wear eyeshadow, but not always with liner. I don't know why that stylist told you that- was she by any chance selling makeup as well? :wink:
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I rarely trust the experts. I trust what's looking back at me in the mirror. And she's just fine with my simple routine. :)
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    I think you should just wear what feels most comfortable for you. That was weird that the professional said you had to wear eyeliner with eyeshadow. I have never heard of that before, and I worked as a MUA to put me through school. My simplest routine ever was

1.powder/concealor
    2. mascara
    3. tinted lip balm

If I had to go out in public only wearing one or two products it would definitely be mascara (my lashes are blonde) and a lip product.

With make-up, there are no hard and fast rules. Just do what you like best and are most comfortable with.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • McCurlyMcCurly Posts: 200Registered Users
    Thanks for all your replies. it's very sweet of you all.
    I guess that I will most defintely try to rely on my impressions and not on the "nice words" from some "professional".

It's nice to hear about your routines and about why you choose this in place of that and so on.

I will ask my mirror and go on with trials and experiences :D
    Corkscrew 3B
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    I haven't worn eyeliner in at least a couple months. I wear mascara and eyeshadow and that feels like enough.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i think i look strange without eyeliner, so i'll wear that without shadow, but i have worn shadow without liner and don't think it's necessary!

:D

anyone who'd tell you a dumb "rule" like that is just trying to get you to buy something you probably don't need!
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • sassette726sassette726 Posts: 694Registered Users
    Keep in mind that these "professionals" are likely trying to sell you a product. Most makeup companies release several "collections" featuring certain color families, so the makeup artists are probably required to push whatever colors are hot at the time.

I never leave the house without at least (mineral powder) foundation and mascara. But I have blonde eyelashes and oily/breakout-prone skin, so I look like crap run over twice otherwise. My *normal* makeup includes: eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, concealer for blemishes, foundation, and lip gloss or tinted lip balm.

The most important things in my opinion are what you're comfortable wearing/feel you need, and what suits your skin tone. For instance, I absolutely can't wear orangey or warm reds because my skin is very fair with a pink/blue undertone. Once you have those two things pinned down, make your own rules. :)
    2b copper penny red
    "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats."

CURRENTLY USING:
    Renpure Moisturizing Shampoo, Body Shop Banana Conditioner, Ouidad Tress Effects GelMy fashion blog:
    http://a-la-mode-2010.blogspot.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file