CurlTalk

ooh la la

im going to start the whole cg method thing in october 2009, i was going to wait till i finished highschool (2011) but i want my curly hair back. i straighten it every saturday and last year i added to the damage by ironing every other day. naturally my hair used to get like 3a, 3b. now only some parts get curly and the rest get straight but frizz all over. anyways
im planning on starting off with things i can bbuy at like sallys or drugstore is this stuff any good?

co wash- vo5/suave naturals
condition-lpvn
leave in- i have no idea
and i have no idea about anything else
desperately need help!

Comments

  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    michigogo wrote: »
    im going to start the whole cg method thing in october 2009, i was going to wait till i finished highschool (2011) but i want my curly hair back.

    Hi MG,
    Glad to hear you want to go CG. It is soooo good for your hair. And over time I am sure you will get your curl back. I used to flat iron my hair twice a month with a ceramic FHI and lots of heat protectants, but even with that I felt my ends were getting damaged. I just want to encourage you to start CG immediately instead of waiting until October. Although there will most likely be a transition period while your hair adapts, especially since you've been straightening for so long, you should feel a difference in your hair's moisture level immediately. I did. So why wait. I'm sure you have your reasons, but the sooner you start the better your hair will feel.

    Many people use VO5/Suave Naturals as a co-wash and LPVN. I have medium-thick very dry hair and I feel that Suave Naturals is too light for me, however you may want to try the Suave Coconut with is a little more rich and you can get it sooo cheap. A lot of curlies use the GVP Conditioning Balm (at Sally's) and speak good things about it. As far as other products you should use...I think you will need to give more information on your hair's texture, porosity. Is it extremely dry & brittle, etc... Also, what kind of hold and feel you want in your hair. For example, I like light to medium hold without a producty/crunchy gelly feel so I use more creamy products than gelly products. I hope this little bit of info helps.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • michigogomichigogo Posts: 63Registered Users
    yay thank you sooo much for that info...

    ok well now i have very brittle hair and its so thin it breaks easily. i like creamy products and the hold i want is like medium not stiff and crunchy.
    oh and are the tigi catwalk honey and oatmeal products ok to use? oh and what about sebastian pomade?
  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    michigogo wrote: »
    yay thank you sooo much for that info...

    ok well now i have very brittle hair and its so thin it breaks easily. i like creamy products and the hold i want is like medium not stiff and crunchy.
    oh and are the tigi catwalk honey and oatmeal products ok to use? oh and what about sebastian pomade?

    Unfortunately the TIGI products you mentioned are probably not good for your hair. The shampoo has a sulfate and the conditioner has a lot of protein. Sulfates will ultimately make your hair more dry and the protein in the conditioner is something you want to avoid. You described your hair as brittle and breaking easily. This is a sign that your hair has too much protein and needs more moisture only. So you need to use deep conditioners with little or no protein. Try Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner. It is very thick and rich. If you leave it on your hair for a long time and do the Deep Condition, I think you will notice some immediate improvements. I use this and my hair absolutely loves it. Many curlies on this board will tell you of its fabulous moisturizing capabilities. It is about $8 at whole foods and you may be able to find it at some drugstores if you check their website, or order online. This may seem a lot to spend when your in high school, but this conditioner is worth the bucks and it actually lasts a long time.

    As far the Sebastian pomade, I'm not familiar with the specific product, but I have used many other Sebastian products and they all had silicones in them. And Silicones are SOOOOO BAD for your hair. A gel you might want to try is [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]Kinky-Curly Curling Custard[/buylink]. This is very expensive, like $30. But it has good ingredients that your hair type might like. Also, Curl Junkie CoffeeCocoa Curl Cream might be good for your hair too, but it is also expensive ($14). I wouldn't want you to buy these and then not have them work for your hair. Hopefully someone can recommend good gels or creams for dry, brittle hair that you can get in the drugstore or Sally's.

    Definitely get the GVP Conditioning Balm ($6-I think) as a co-wash and LI and the Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose to use as a rinse out conditioner after you use the GVP CB as a co-wash.

    Try these and let us know.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    If you dont mind my asking, why are you waiting as opposed to starting now?
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • michigogomichigogo Posts: 63Registered Users
    rudeechick wrote: »
    If you dont mind my asking, why are you waiting as opposed to starting now?


    its ok i dont mind at all. btw i think you and belasuna have pretty hair i wish i can just wake up and have mine looking like that again.

    ....anyways
    its going to sound stupid and immature but part of it is because now naturally my hair only parts of the roots curl and the rest is like really frizzy and i start my junior yr of highschool in two weeks(i doubt my hair will become curly enough to wear it natural and for it to look pretty in two weeks) which means new classes/ meeting diff. ppl. and it sucks to say but the reality of it is that if i go the first couple of weeks with my hair looking a mess ppl are not gonna talk to me im going to be too self concious to approach ppl and be confident. so what im thinking is go with my hair the best way i can put it which is straight (for now) and then a month after ive established friendships and feel comftorble and stuff then i will start the cg method and then have my hair looking a bit of a mess for a while and then my hair will be all pretty and curly again.

    sorry i kind of wrote alot.
  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    michigogo wrote: »
    rudeechick wrote: »
    If you dont mind my asking, why are you waiting as opposed to starting now?


    its ok i dont mind at all. btw i think you and belasuna have pretty hair i wish i can just wake up and have mine looking like that again.

    ....anyways
    its going to sound stupid and immature but part of it is because now naturally my hair only parts of the roots curl and the rest is like really frizzy and i start my junior yr of highschool in two weeks(i doubt my hair will become curly enough to wear it natural and for it to look pretty in two weeks) which means new classes/ meeting diff. ppl. and it sucks to say but the reality of it is that if i go the first couple of weeks with my hair looking a mess ppl are not gonna talk to me im going to be too self concious to approach ppl and be confident. so what im thinking is go with my hair the best way i can put it which is straight (for now) and then a month after ive established friendships and feel comftorble and stuff then i will start the cg method and then have my hair looking a bit of a mess for a while and then my hair will be all pretty and curly again.

    sorry i kind of wrote alot.

    Sweetie, this doesn't sound stupid. We were all your age once and I know exactly what you mean. I remember being self conscious and wanting to make lots of friends the first month of school. And while it is important to make a good impression, just know that the ones who will be your true friends for life are the ones who really don't care what your hair looks like--because if they stay your friend, they will probably see your hair at its worst anyways. lol So I want you to know that who you are has less to do with what you look like than with what your personality is on the inside. And from this little thread, you seem like a very sweet girl who anyone would want to be friends with.

    Thank you for the compliment. I'm sure your hair is going to be great once you start CG. Just remember, stay focused on school, have fun and enjoy your hair in all its forms. Good (kind, loving) people, not good hair, is what makes life worthy. Good hair is just something nice to have.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • michigogomichigogo Posts: 63Registered Users
    belasuna wrote: »
    michigogo wrote: »
    rudeechick wrote: »
    If you dont mind my asking, why are you waiting as opposed to starting now?


    its ok i dont mind at all. btw i think you and belasuna have pretty hair i wish i can just wake up and have mine looking like that again.

    ....anyways
    its going to sound stupid and immature but part of it is because now naturally my hair only parts of the roots curl and the rest is like really frizzy and i start my junior yr of highschool in two weeks(i doubt my hair will become curly enough to wear it natural and for it to look pretty in two weeks) which means new classes/ meeting diff. ppl. and it sucks to say but the reality of it is that if i go the first couple of weeks with my hair looking a mess ppl are not gonna talk to me im going to be too self concious to approach ppl and be confident. so what im thinking is go with my hair the best way i can put it which is straight (for now) and then a month after ive established friendships and feel comftorble and stuff then i will start the cg method and then have my hair looking a bit of a mess for a while and then my hair will be all pretty and curly again.

    sorry i kind of wrote alot.

    Sweetie, this doesn't sound stupid. We were all your age once and I know exactly what you mean. I remember being self conscious and wanting to make lots of friends the first month of school. And while it is important to make a good impression, just know that the ones who will be your true friends for life are the ones who really don't care what your hair looks like--because if they stay your friend, they will probably see your hair at its worst anyways. lol So I want you to know that who you are has less to do with what you look like than with what your personality is on the inside. And from this little thread, you seem like a very sweet girl who anyone would want to be friends with.

    Thank you for the compliment. I'm sure your hair is going to be great once you start CG. Just remember, stay focused on school, have fun and enjoy your hair in all its forms. Good (kind, loving) people, not good hair, is what makes life worthy. Good hair is just something nice to have.

    lol.. thanks for the really good advice:)
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    michigogo wrote: »
    rudeechick wrote: »
    If you dont mind my asking, why are you waiting as opposed to starting now?


    its ok i dont mind at all. btw i think you and belasuna have pretty hair i wish i can just wake up and have mine looking like that again.

    ....anyways
    its going to sound stupid and immature but part of it is because now naturally my hair only parts of the roots curl and the rest is like really frizzy and i start my junior yr of highschool in two weeks(i doubt my hair will become curly enough to wear it natural and for it to look pretty in two weeks) which means new classes/ meeting diff. ppl. and it sucks to say but the reality of it is that if i go the first couple of weeks with my hair looking a mess ppl are not gonna talk to me im going to be too self concious to approach ppl and be confident. so what im thinking is go with my hair the best way i can put it which is straight (for now) and then a month after ive established friendships and feel comftorble and stuff then i will start the cg method and then have my hair looking a bit of a mess for a while and then my hair will be all pretty and curly again.

    sorry i kind of wrote alot.

    Nah, doesnt sound stupid. But I have a suggestions: start CG TODAY! If your hair doesnt improve enough to wear it natural before scholl starts you can always go back to what you were doing before (temporarily). My hair improved immediately upon starting.

    And thank you for the compliment. But, FYI, I do NOT "wake up" with my hair looking like this;)
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • tinahtinah Posts: 1,195Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have to agree with Rudee. Starting now would be better. There can be a little bit of a transition period with going CG. Better to do it now while you're not in school than to wait and go thru that while you're in school. You'd be more likely to give up then. Plus it will be easier to get your routine down while you're on summer break then trying to figure it all out while you're also getting back into the swing of things at school.

    Also - another point I wanted to make. If you've been flat ironing your hair to the point that it's brittle and breaking off you're probably going to want to get some protein on it. The damage you're describing is heat damage and protein might go a long way toward helping. You're gonna want to give it lots of moisture too but it sounds like you'll definitely need some protein to fill in the holes and help stop it from breaking off.

    If you do a search for protein treatments you'll find some very good methods. Sally's offeres seeral different kinds of protein treatments that can be affordable and there's also some good DIY treatments too. Remember you should always follow a protein treatment with a moisture treatment. But starting now would probably be better than waiting til after school starts. JMO.
    CG - 3/27/09
    3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
    Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
    Styling: lube and BRHG
  • michigogomichigogo Posts: 63Registered Users
    rudeechick wrote: »
    michigogo wrote: »
    rudeechick wrote: »
    If you dont mind my asking, why are you waiting as opposed to starting now?


    its ok i dont mind at all. btw i think you and belasuna have pretty hair i wish i can just wake up and have mine looking like that again.

    ....anyways
    its going to sound stupid and immature but part of it is because now naturally my hair only parts of the roots curl and the rest is like really frizzy and i start my junior yr of highschool in two weeks(i doubt my hair will become curly enough to wear it natural and for it to look pretty in two weeks) which means new classes/ meeting diff. ppl. and it sucks to say but the reality of it is that if i go the first couple of weeks with my hair looking a mess ppl are not gonna talk to me im going to be too self concious to approach ppl and be confident. so what im thinking is go with my hair the best way i can put it which is straight (for now) and then a month after ive established friendships and feel comftorble and stuff then i will start the cg method and then have my hair looking a bit of a mess for a while and then my hair will be all pretty and curly again.

    sorry i kind of wrote alot.

    Nah, doesnt sound stupid. But I have a suggestions: start CG TODAY! If your hair doesnt improve enough to wear it natural before scholl starts you can always go back to what you were doing before (temporarily). My hair improved immediately upon starting.

    And thank you for the compliment. But, FYI, I do NOT "wake up" with my hair looking like this;)

    you know what i think i will start today
    right after i go to the store and buy some cg stuff:thumbup:
  • tinahtinah Posts: 1,195Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Don't forget to do a last sulfate wash to remove any build up! make sure the shampoo doesn't have any cones in it!! If you need to buy one- suave clarifying shampoo is a good one and it's really cheap! Let us know how it goes!!
    CG - 3/27/09
    3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
    Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
    Styling: lube and BRHG
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    Great! We will walk you thru it if need be.:thumbup:
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • lotoloto Posts: 133Registered Users
    I agree with the rest about starting right away!
    My hair, surprisingly, didn't have a "transition period". That is, it never got worse before it got better!

    Good luck! :D
    3A: med/coarse texture; high porosity
    <3 Honey rinses
  • michigogomichigogo Posts: 63Registered Users
    thanks guys:)

    ok so this is the stuff i will buy and try out with.

    1.vo5 conditioners
    2. suave conditioners
    3.GVP conditioning balm
    4. wide tooth comb
    5. herbal essance set me up gel

    (and correct me if im wrong) the routine would look something like this:

    1. vo5 for co wash
    2. gvp conditioning balm for rinse out
    3. gvp conditioning balm for leave in
    4. herbal essance gel

    also will it be better/healthier to just leave my hair with the leave in and not put gel in it?

    and does it matter what temperature the water is(cold, hot,lukewarm w/e) while im co washing and all this stuff?
  • curlyhairmichukcurlyhairmichuk Posts: 860Registered Users
    I would put some of the gel in - it may help off set any frizzies. Don't put too much in to start with then you can adjust it - add more or use even less.
    UK curly

    fine to medium strands, porous, medium density
    CG May 2009 - low poo occasionally
    Co-wash: Tresemme Naturals
    Styling -Naked Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, Mop Top, FSG
    Product for a good hair day: FSG or Mop Top
    Hair loves protein!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlyhairmichuk%2F" class="Popup
    new pics added Jan 2012

    Enjoying the freedom of going curly!:wave:
    Duchess of Alba, Keeper of the Tartan Curls in The Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • michigogomichigogo Posts: 63Registered Users
    thanks any one else?
  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    tinah wrote: »
    Also - another point I wanted to make. If you've been flat ironing your hair to the point that it's brittle and breaking off you're probably going to want to get some protein on it. The damage you're describing is heat damage and protein might go a long way toward helping. You're gonna want to give it lots of moisture too but it sounds like you'll definitely need some protein to fill in the holes and help stop it from breaking off.

    If you do a search for protein treatments you'll find some very good methods. Sally's offeres seeral different kinds of protein treatments that can be affordable and there's also some good DIY treatments too. Remember you should always follow a protein treatment with a moisture treatment. But starting now would probably be better than waiting til after school starts. JMO.

    I agree with Tinah. Since your hair is damaged form flatironing, it may need a structural rebuild. But be careful. If your hair is coarse, then you don't want to overdo the protein treatments. And you MUST follow up with a Deep Moisture Treatment, especially if you have coarse hair. If your hair is fine textured, then you should reap tons of benefit from the protein.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • michigogomichigogo Posts: 63Registered Users
    when i said brittle i didnt mean course.. my hair is actually very fine. what i meant to say that theres alot of breakage and visible damage
  • tinahtinah Posts: 1,195Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Then definitely do a protein treatment! You'll be surprised at how much it can bring your hair back!!
    CG - 3/27/09
    3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
    Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
    Styling: lube and BRHG
  • pjsmommy12pjsmommy12 Posts: 206Registered Users
    hi michigogo! Just popping in to add my support. My hair was a mess in high school, but great now. You will be SO much happier with your hair the sooner you get started. Listen to the ladies here, they give great advice.

    Everything I use (found below in my siggy) is found at Sally's and cost under $7 or $8 each. If you shop there get a card for discounts and such.

    Good luck to you!
    :alien:Heather

    3a, med texture, normal porosity
    poo: one 'n only shiny silver (occasionally)
    co-wash/rinse out: assorted V05 "flavors"
    leave-in/dt: gvp cb
    stylers: ecostyler, bioterra curl cream, salon care aloe vera gel
    hair loves: plopping, clipping & diffusing

    i:love7:sally's