Hair feeling waxy- is this normal?

Hi all, I stopped using sulfates and cones a couple of years ago...or so I thought. Recently, my hair was looking dry and blah so I looked over the ingredients of my co-wash and did some research, then to my horror, realized that it had several cones (ingredients ending in "xane" and "conol" for example). So I detoxed with a gentle shampoo (cocamidopropyl betaine instead of sulfates) and started over. This was about 2 weeks ago. I experimented with a condish heavy in oils (desert essence organics line) and my hair didn't seem to like this. So now I'm experimenting with Nature's Gate Herbal Daily Conditioner. No cones, so oils, no polyquats, etc. But now, my hair feels waxy. Is this normal? Since my condish had cones in it, I guess I was never really CG before 2 weeks ago. Is this waxy feel on the hair normal at first, while my hair adjusts, or do you guys think I'm still doing something wrong?

Please help...

CG since summer 2009
3a/3b
Co-wash: V05 Moisture Milks Stawberrries & Cream

Rise Out/Leave-in: Biolage Conditioning Balm
La Bella Alcohol Free Gel (level 10)
BAQ Henna and Indigo to cover grey

Comments

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    It sounds like the transition period. If it's really bothering you, try doing a baking soda rinse or using some lemon juice in your conditioner. They will do a little clarifying and hopefully help with the waxiness.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • samirak1001samirak1001 Posts: 49Registered Users
    Thanks for your response curlyjenn. I try your suggestions. How long does this transition period last? My hair has also been more frizzy. Does this sound like a transition issue as well?

CG since summer 2009
    3a/3b

• belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    Hi Samirak,

I noticed you henna your hair. I'm not an expert on henna but I heard it can actually damage your hair. Lots of people say that it is good, and it leaves your hair soft, smooth and shiny. But if I understand the way it works--the henna smooths the hair cuticle and seals it and this is why the hair is super shiny. If this is true, then can it truly let in moisture that your hair needs to prevent the frizz?
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    Frizz can definitely be part of it. The transition period can last up to six weeks. Mine was about a month. But if you haven't been using harsh sulfates that often, it may not be that long! And it's totally worth it at the end :) Good luck!
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
    thanks curlyjenn. i haven't used harsh sulfates since 2007, but was probably unintentionally drying my hair out with cones. i hope that you are right, and that this is just a transition. My hair has never felt so waxy, tangled, and frizzy :-( even when i apply conditioner, there is very little slip. i have a deva cut on thursday with a new stylist, and i hope that the current condition of my hair doesn't interfere with getting a good cut.

belasuna- thanks for your input as well!

CG since summer 2009
    3a/3b

• crazywavescrazywaves Posts: 582Registered Users
    Try an apple cider vinegar rinse. This is how my hair feels after using a shampoo bar because it opens the cuticle. The vinegar rinse will close the cuticle. You may want to follow up with a good deep conditioning treatment.
    crazywaves wrote: »
    Try an apple cider vinegar rinse. This is how my hair feels after using a shampoo bar because it opens the cuticle. The vinegar rinse will close the cuticle. You may want to follow up with a good deep conditioning treatment.

Thanks crazywaves! I'll try one tonight :-)

CG since summer 2009
    3a/3b

• oddityofwingsoddityofwings Posts: 1,261Registered Users
    You say there are no cones, oils, etc - but did you double check for mineral oil (pariffidum liquidium)? That'll leave things feeling quite waxy.
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

Favourites:love5::
    CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

American literature PhD student in the UK... :study:
    You say there are no cones, oils, etc - but did you double check for mineral oil (pariffidum liquidium)? That'll leave things feeling quite waxy.

thank you so much for mentioning that possibility! i never new that pariffidum liquidum and mineral oil were one and the same. i'm about to go and check all of my products :-) thanks again!

CG since summer 2009
    3a/3b

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file