CurlTalk

Which type of coconut oil do you prefer?

freemayofreemayo Posts: 53Registered Users
Many of you have said you use coconut oil to seal your hair. And to deep condition. So I was thinking....

Do you normally use extra virgin or refined? Is there a brand that you particular hair?

Also, coconut oil can have a very strong scent - how do you work with that? Especially when you seal your hair. Or is there a brand that doesn't smell as strong? Am I dreaming?

Comments

• Alice_42 Alice_42 Posts: 791Registered Users
    I think coconut oil would be a bad choice in sealant since it can penetrate your hair. It doesn't seem like it would be good for keeping anything "in."

I didn't/dont have an issues with the sent. When it's wet/absorbing it can be pretty strong but once it dries you really cant smell it unless someones nose is all up in your hair :)
    event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
    Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
    Blog: Alice in Nappyland
  • KinkyKeeperKinkyKeeper Posts: 963Registered Users
    The kind from Wal Mart, Spring Valley Coconut Oil.
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    freemayo wrote: »
    Many of you have said you use coconut oil to seal your hair. And to deep condition. So I was thinking....

Do you normally use extra virgin or refined? Is there a brand that you particular hair?

Also, coconut oil can have a very strong scent - how do you work with that? Especially when you seal your hair. Or is there a brand that doesn't smell as strong? Am I dreaming?

I use vatika oil, which is coconut oil enriched with henna, amla and lemon. It does have a strong scent to some, but I like it and it makes my hair soft (and it's cheap). I think ladies on here might use the extra virgin coconut oil and you can find that at any whole foods or other health foods store. If you want coconut oil with no scent, you can get fractionated coconut oil, it is lighter though so it might not work too well for sealing. For sealing I mix some vatika and castor oil, it works great!
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • pelicanopelicano Posts: 580Registered Users
    I use the virgin food-grade sort. I previously bought some from a pharmacy, but it was much harder, less conditioning etc.
    Sarah.

Based in the UK. 2-something (2b?) hair. Very porous, fine and brittle/fragile

Hair loves: Drip drying, glycerine, shea butter, oils
    Hair hates: Plopping, any kind of gel, most conditioners (scalp issues).
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users
    Refined coconut oil is virtually scent-less. Extra virgin coconut oil smells like coconut meat straight from the coconut. It isn't super strong but is a little foody smelling (yummy). Monoi Tiare Tahiti is coconut oil infused with Tahitian gardenia. If a coconut oil has a super strong scent, more than likely it has been enhanced with a fragrance.

I use all of them (not all at once), depending on my needs. :)
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EfuruEfuru Posts: 169Registered Users
    I've read somewhere that Extra Virgin coconut oil is a myth, the process with which extra virgin olive oil is achieved is not possible with coconut oil.
    I pretty much buy food grade virgin coconut oil, if I'm feeling flush, I'll get the organic version.

It didn't work as a sealant for me (my hair ate it up!), I mostly use it for pre-poos or oil rinses, I personally LOVE the smell but if it bothers you, the refined (and in my opinion, less awesome) version is odour-less.
    CoilyCurlyWavyKinks in the UK!:headbang:
    Hair type
    : High density/low porosity/fine-coarse/medium strands
    Current aim: Growing out henna

event.png
  • freshkinkycutfreshkinkycut Posts: 111Registered Users
    coilynapp wrote: »

I use vatika oil, which is coconut oil enriched with henna, amla and lemon. It does have a strong scent to some, but I like it and it makes my hair soft (and it's cheap). I think ladies on here might use the extra virgin coconut oil and you can find that at any whole foods or other health foods store. If you want coconut oil with no scent, you can get fractionated coconut oil, it is lighter though so it might not work too well for sealing. For sealing I mix some vatika and castor oil, it works great!

I totally agree..i also use the vatika oil. i mix it with extra virgin olive oil and put that on top of my condish for a deep conditioning treatment under the dryer. Love it! Vatika oil is from harveda. It helps with shrinkage.
    coilynapp wrote: »

I totally agree..i also use the vatika oil. i mix it with extra virgin olive oil and put that on top of my condish for a deep conditioning treatment under the dryer. Love it! Vatika oil is from harveda. It helps with shrinkage.
    yes, hairveda makes vatika oil, but you can get vatika oil cheap at any indian grocery store. you can also look on amazon and ebay and other online indian grocery stores that sell it e.g., /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fayurnaturalbeauty.ecrater.com%2F" class="Popup
  • Kinks74Kinks74 Posts: 394Registered Users
    I use the vatika from Hairveda too, and I really like it (I'm not so patiently waiting for it to come back in season). I've been wanting to try the one from Tropical Traditions, which I've heard good things about, too.
    Kinks, kinks and more kinks :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Goodies: KBB Hair Mask, KBB Deep Condish, JC WDT, Oyin Juices & Berries, Oyin Shine & Define, Oyin Whipped Pudding
    Faves & Raves: Oyin Juices & Berries, KBB Deep Condish, JC WDT, CBSS WSHP, KCCC, Henna :love4:
    Not so Goodies: Proteins & heavy oils...
    Current Challenge: kinky & twisted! (ahem, two-strand twisted) :toothy7:
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    I just tried some from Spectrum, which is scentless. Using it more for skin than hair, though (I'm a 2).
  • Kinky RhonnieKinky Rhonnie Posts: 1,166Registered Users
    I bought the brand on the Vitamin aisle at walmart and it didn't have a heavy coconut scent in my opinion.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    There's a vitamin aisle at Walmart?
  • certifiedivacertifiediva Posts: 173Registered Users
    l_sa-7014.png /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vitaminshoppe.com%2Fstore%2Fen%2Fbrowse%2Fsku_detail.jsp%3Fid%3DSA-7014" class="Popup

This is the coconut oil I use, and I run hot water from the faucet over the jar to melt it down a but so I can add it to my concoctions.
    Been a long time... I shouldn't have left you...

Re-Visiting Old Products & Checking out some new products... Coming up with a whole new hair routine... I've neglected my sexy kinks for far too long!

I'm baaaaccckk!

Being a Diva is a full time job...
    Efuru wrote: »
    I've read somewhere that Extra Virgin coconut oil is a myth, the process with which extra virgin olive oil is achieved is not possible with coconut oil.
    I pretty much buy food grade virgin coconut oil, if I'm feeling flush, I'll get the organic version.
    nope, virgin coconut oil is not a myth :)
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sunshowersunshower Posts: 229Registered Users
    i use Nutiva Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. i got a huge jar of it from Vitacost. i use it on my hair and skin.

i also love vatika oil for hot oil treatments. the Dabur vatika oil from the indian grocery store has more stuff in it than the Hairveda vatika frosting.
    --Tiffany--
    *Reformed PJ*
    3c/4a - coarse and super thick, APL when curly, somewhere around WL when stretched
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fhokukoroku%2F" class="Popup - i never update. shame on me :(

Last Relaxer - January 30, 1999
    BC - March 21, 2000

Currently using: AO HSR & GPB conditioners, Vatika Oil, SheaMoisture, homemade African Black Soap shampoo & hair lotion.
    sunshower wrote: »
    i use Nutiva Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. i got a huge jar of it from Vitacost. i use it on my hair and skin.

i also love vatika oil for hot oil treatments. the Dabur vatika oil from the indian grocery store has more stuff in it than the Hairveda vatika frosting.
    yes, it has neem and brahmi and other ayurvedic herbs and rosemary oil too. I love it!!!!!
  • lashon20lashon20 Posts: 1,150Registered Users
    I use to use Spectrum coconut oil but now I'm using Jarrow Formula Expeller Pressed Coconut Oil.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmynaturalhairjourney.shutterfly.com%2F" class="Popup

Shampoos: Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie
    Stylers: As I Am Smoothing Gel, Jane Carter Incredible Curls, Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter, Hairveda Whipped Gelly
    Moisturizers: Camille Rose Moisture Milk, Camille Rose Fresh Curl
    Leave-Ins: KBB Sweet Ambrosia
    Pomades: Hairveda Almond Glaze
  • EfuruEfuru Posts: 169Registered Users
    hippychic wrote: »
    Efuru wrote: »
    nope, virgin coconut oil is not a myth :)

Lol! No, EXTRA Virgin Coconut oil. Its briefly mentioned on this site .
    CoilyCurlyWavyKinks in the UK!:headbang:
    Hair type
    : High density/low porosity/fine-coarse/medium strands
    Current aim: Growing out henna

event.png
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users
    bump

I just received a jar of Tropical Traditions Virgin Coconut oil , anyone else try Tropical traditions?
  • B-Nessa11B-Nessa11 Posts: 1,050Registered Users
    I have yet to smell coconut in coconut oil. I bought some organic from a whole food store, no smell. So Lou Ana coconut oil, no smell. I would like to find a coconut oil with the natural scent. That would be awesome

Sent from my Desire HD using CurlTalk App
    Who's My Hair?
    3c/4a-b looking stuff lol
    BC- May 16, 2010
    Why I chopped: heat damage/breakage
    Luv'd my permed hair I just didnt take care of it.
    LUVVV my natural hair!!! :iconbiggrin:
  • HomeGrownHairGirlHomeGrownHairGirl Posts: 296Registered Users
    B-Nessa11 wrote: »
    I have yet to smell coconut in coconut oil. I bought some organic from a whole food store, no smell. So Lou Ana coconut oil, no smell. I would like to find a coconut oil with the natural scent. That would be awesome

Maybe you are buying the refined coconut oil. That usually is scentless. Unrefined coconut oil smells like coconut. There are tons of brands! (i.e. Spectrum, Nutiva, etc.) Just make sure it says unrefined somewhere on the label.

Side Note: Vitamin Shoppe currently has their brand of the 15oz coconut oil on sale for $7.99 here. (It is unrefined.) I just bought two jars last night at my local store.
  • naturallycreolenaturallycreole Posts: 112Registered Users
    bump

I just received a jar of Tropical Traditions Virgin Coconut oil , anyone else try Tropical traditions?

Plz report back after a couple or so uses. I have eyed this one for a while now.

If love is truly patient and kind, but our actions or words aren't, then maybe It's self reflection time. -Sent from my iPod touch using CurlTalk-
  • lovelatinacurlslovelatinacurls Posts: 9Registered Users
    I've tried many kinda... My favorite so far has been nutiva organic extra virgin coconut oil. It has a great subtle coconut scent, it is cold pressed, not refined, deodorized or bleached! Watch out for a lot of coconut oils! If they don't specifically say that they are unrefined or unbleached, then they are! If it is refined and not cold pressed, the coconut oil was processed at high heats which may have destroyed the beneficial properties.
    i add coconut oil to my smoothies. i use organic, expeller pressed virgin coconut oil from whole foods. it has a subtle coconut scent. love it!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • B-Nessa11B-Nessa11 Posts: 1,050Registered Users
    Yea maybe I need to get the unrefined..cuz I want that coconut smell sometimes. I would rub that all ova my baaaday (body) lol

Who's My Hair?
    3c/4a-b looking stuff lol
    BC- May 16, 2010
    Why I chopped: heat damage/breakage
    Luv'd my permed hair I just didnt take care of it.
    LUVVV my natural hair!!! :iconbiggrin:
  • sweetmx85sweetmx85 Posts: 1,017Registered Users
    Ive used coconut oil to seal my hair for years and its the best for me.
    I use spectrum brand at whole foods and vitamin shoppe its unrefined.
    my blog
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fcurlygirlie85.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Its a beauty, natural hair, food, family, and life all combined into one blog. I took a break from it for awhile but I recently started blogging again and Im addicted!

my tumblr natural inspirations and beauty: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsophiams85.tumblr.com%2F" class="Popup

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ss40ss40 Posts: 1,790Registered Users
    Parachute Coconut oil. I don't know how pure it is. But it works & it costs about $3.
    Every teardrop is a waterfall
    :nike:About my hair:
    weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
    daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
    go to style-Pocahontas braids
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users
    I used it to detangle my hair on Saturday and it was very creamy and soft.
    I used it last night to oil my body, very nice.

I even ate some lol

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using CurlTalk App
  • berri_cherriberri_cherri Posts: 91Registered Users
    I use the "Tropic Isle Living Jamaican Black Castor oil coconut oil" I like this a lot and it lasts very long. I use it for sealing and moisturizing my wash N go and Before I style my hair. I did just order Nature's Way Organic Extra Virgin Coconut oil. 16oz

I want to make sure I have enough because I wanna try and make a shea butter mix, is coconut oil a good carrier oil to mix with?
    Hair type:
    4A/4B(coarse, very thick, dry, and curly)
    Big chop 3/27/12
    Hair styling products: Shea Moisture(yellow line shampoo n restorative conditioner)
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Ftastyberri.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup

Density: High
    porosity: :D Definitely LOW

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bklyn_bellebklyn_belle Posts: 423Registered Users
    extra virgin by West Indian Pride.
    Texture: proud 4a (3c at the nape).
    Regimen: co-wash everyday.deep condition, de-tangle and seal once a week.
    Current Favs: Treseme Naturals shampoo & conditioner, wide tooth comb, coconut oil, Shea Moisture curling smoothie, ampro clear styling gel .
    Protective Style: buns

visit my fashion & culture website: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.beautyandthestreetmag.blogspot.com" class="Popup