What are your fave brands?
Lotsa 3c curls
Curly Journey Album
Updated 2009 and 2010 pics
Hair Journal/Products

It's not about having what you want, it's about Wanting what you have

Comments

• SlainSoulSlainSoul Posts: 12Registered Users
    I like Curves for women brand running shoes.
    -Slain
    slain adj : killed; `slain' is formal or literary as in "slain warriors"; n : people who have been slain (as in battle)
  • RheannaRheanna Posts: 2,614Registered Users
    New Balance for me. Nikes and Adidas both kill my feet! I have very wide, very very FLAT (no arch, mine almost sticks out!) and that's the only brand I can tolerate without a lot of pain in my arch area! They're always a bit wider also, I've found. Obviously not necessary for everyone, but I do know plenty of people who have "normal" :lol: feet and still love 'em...

HTH!
    DPTFm5.png
  • CostenyaCostenya Posts: 520Registered Users
    This is an indirect answer to your question...

I recommend that you go to a running store and get properly fitted for a running shoe that suits YOUR gait and foot type. Don't necessarily rely on user opinion or shoe popularity, although these should be considered AFTER you've tried on some shoes.

To answer your question...

I've only run in Saucony, Brooks and Asics. These are my favorite brands and they don't have a lot of unnecessary hype behind them like Nike. I'm currently wearing Asics Kayanos, considered to be the Rolls Royce of running shoes (they cost me $140+). They are indeed the best shoes I've ever worn; they provide excellent stability (I'm an overpronator) and great cushioning. This is my first time wearing Asics in 12 years of running, and I love them. The 2100 series of Asics is also good, so I've heard.
  • SweetPicklesSweetPickles Posts: 850Registered Users
    Costenya wrote:

I recommend that you go to a running store and get properly fitted for a running shoe that suits YOUR gait and foot type. Don't necessarily rely on user opinion or shoe popularity, although these should be considered AFTER you've tried on some shoes.
    Yes! What she said! I can't recommend enough getting properly fitted, by people who specialize in running shoes (not by those salesfolk at the giant sporting goods superstores!). You could also contact the customer service folks at www.roadrunnersports.com
    They are amazingly helpful! Once I knew what type of shoe I needed (stability, motion control, or cushioning), they helped me find one that has worked out perfectly. I just hope it isn't ever discontinued.

That said, to answer your question...

I am once, always, forever an Adidas girl. Only shoes that work for me. These stability shoes are the ones I currently wear.I have narrow feet, very narrow heels, but need a GINORMOUS toe box to accomodate my weird piggies and fun bunion. Adidas are the only shoes that fit the narrow parts of my feet perfectly but give a ton of room up front. Asics and New Balance are cut wider all along the shoe, which doesn't work. And Nike shoes just fit like they were crafted by the debbil.
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
  • VIVIDCURLSVIVIDCURLS Posts: 61Registered Users
    I love New Balance
  • SmallFrySmallFry Posts: 614Registered Users
    thank you for all your input. unfortunately, i don't have access to a real running shoe store at least none near where I live.
    Lotsa 3c curls
    Curly Journey Album
    Updated 2009 and 2010 pics
    Hair Journal/Products

It's not about having what you want, it's about Wanting what you have
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    New Balance shoes are the best for my feet. I have narrowish feet with higher arches, but for whatever reasons, the NBs are awesome for me. I've tried Brooks and also really liked them. Mizuno has some nice sneakers too. I haven't been running in a long time, but I'm planning on picking it up again once the weather cools off. I've got an awesome track near where I live to run on.

Nike's suck, imo. Overpriced, with no support or stability and bad fits. I hurt my hip so badly running in Nike's that I couldn't run for months. Die Nike die.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • BohemianRenegadeBohemianRenegade Posts: 1,078Registered Users
    Costenya wrote:
    I'm currently wearing Asics Kayanos, considered to be the Rolls Royce of running shoes (they cost me $140+). They are indeed the best shoes I've ever worn; they provide excellent stability (I'm an overpronator) and great cushioning. This is my first time wearing Asics in 12 years of running, and I love them. The 2100 series of Asics is also good, so I've heard.

These are the ones I have also. I love them! I have done a 24 hour race and a half-marathon in them. Definitely worth the price. I am about to get a new pair, since I think my mileage may be coming up on them!
    Trying to find some sanity as I work on my master's in nursing...
  • lushaholiclushaholic Posts: 2,180Registered Users
    I've had Asics, Rykää and now Brooks, and I can say without a doubt that these Brooks are THE best I have ever her had. They're so light, yet stable, good support, and VERY comfortable. I will definitely being buying Brooks again. I wouldn't mind trying New Balance sometime because I've heard they are good as well, I just couldn't find the right ones for my feet, and now it would be hard for me to buy anything but Brooks! I have extremely picky feet too, with a broken tib-fib on the left from a past injury, which means plate and 6 screws on one side, 2 long screws on the other. So I'm always having problems with getting comfortable shoes. These are just great though! :)
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
  • ariesxtremeariesxtreme Posts: 123Registered Users
    I've been a Nike girl since I can remember, but honestly they weren't the best for my poor feet and I run a lot too. From a recommendation from a friend I tried Asics Nimbus and they're awesome! I tend to pronate a tad and these really help stabalize my ankle and rotatation of it while I run and the cushioning is unbelievable.
  • PJsMomPJsMom Posts: 173Registered Users
    I was a Nike type (for at least 3 years), but I remeber in Basic Training (2000) I had Asics...and I just recently bought a pair of Asics for running and I love them so much better than the Nikes...
    3c/4a

BC - 25 July 2006
  • DDRunnerDDRunner Posts: 31Registered Users
    I have been running in New Balance for years. I have a very narrow foot and the shoe comes in AA. Also, I have low arches and the shoe works for me. Since you do not have access to a quality running store check out road runner sports - the sales people are wonderful. I have been buying my shoes from them for years. I believe there is a 30 day guarantee for non-VIP members (not sure, so ask the sales rep). Good Luck :D
    2B/3A?? Newbie trying lots of new products thanks to all the info from my "curlfriends"
  • b0ricubanab0ricubana Posts: 125Registered Users
    I love love love Asics. You really can't go wrong with this brand...and they last an extremely long time.
    type 3a hair. started the 'CG' routine on 06.12.07 the day of my very 1st 'Deva' cut ;D
    Currently using all Devacare products...
    ALSO Addicted to:
    Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Condish
    Tigi Catwalk Oatmeal and Honey Condish
    HEBE Set me up
  • Resume WriterResume Writer Posts: 645Registered Users
    I have sensitive feet, and Saucony is the only sneaker that I can wear. I have heard podiatrists endorse them as well. I think they have the best shock absorption around.
  • riotkittyriotkitty Posts: 1,307Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Brooks absolutely rock especially if you have very flat feet like me and as such, pronate severely. I have their Ariel shoe, which is a little pricey ($120), but gives me the smoothest ride I've ever had.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
  • Anthro IncarnateAnthro Incarnate Posts: 555Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I like my Saucony. I got fitted for them a couple of years ago at a running store, and they have been great for my wobbly feet. They are really cushioned and my legs never get tired. Only complaint would be that they are cut a little high on my ankle. I bought a new pair of shoes today, Mizuno Wave Alchemy 7. Again, got fitted at a running store. These offer more rigid support than the Saucony, which I'm not absolutely sure I'll like, but I have yet to take them for a spin.
    póg mo thóin
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I really like New Balance for comfort because I have a wide forefoot and these seem to accomodate that very nicely. In terms of arch support and running I love Asics. That being said I just bought my first pair of Saucony's this weekend and am absolutely loving the shock absorption I get with them.
    Nikes for me are the worst, they are way too narrow for my feet.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Asics work for my feet; I'm pronated, need lot of cushioning but not too much structure. I'm on my 2nd pair of Asics (Cumulus) and it was very helpful to be fitted at Marathon Sports by someone who looked at my gait walking and running. There were shoes I wanted to try on that he poopoohed. Tried one on anyway and he was dead right on his choice. I'm also wearing a size larger than I would have chosen.

I wore Saucony's before the Asics and hurt my knee in them.

Bad sneakers!
    (and a pina colada my friend
    walking up the avenue by Radio City with a
    Transistor and a large sum of money to spend)

I couldnt' resist!
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • Anthro IncarnateAnthro Incarnate Posts: 555Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Update on Mizuno. Major props. The pair I have, Wave Alchemy 7, are much firmer than I'm used to, for maximum control for severe pronation (I land on the outside of my feet and roll in), but after a few runs they feel like a dream. They are cut lower on the ankle than my Saucony, which I like. They also make my feet look smaller, even though the size is bigger. I bought a 9, usually run in 8.5, street shoe 7.5. I also like the design, less old-ladyish than Saucony. It's a new style, only available in one color, but I'd another pair if they released other colors.
    póg mo thóin
  • long_n_curlylong_n_curly Posts: 300Registered Users
    Saucony is simply the best I have tried for distance running. My podiatrist strongly rec'd them 7 yrs ago and I have had NO knee or ankle probs since LOVE THEM
    Lots of Fine easily weighed down 3A curls
    PJ currently loving Devacare one c, CEHT,& Durahold but still searching for HGs
    Finally grew out my bad layers!!!
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    My husband & I both buy New Balance. Our darn near grown son likes them too.
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Posts: 6,252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I swear by Asics. I have an extremely narrow foot with fallen arches. I like Asics because of the gel soles and because of their good arch supports.

ETA: I am a former hs and college cross-country and track runner and have run a half marathon since college, and the Asics hold up for lots and lots of miles.
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    Asics fan, here, too. I'm on my second pair, use them strictly for running.
    2b/3a.
  • solangesolange Posts: 2,539Registered Users
    Costenya wrote:

To answer your question...

I've only run in Saucony, Brooks and Asics. These are my favorite brands and they don't have a lot of unnecessary hype behind them like Nike. I'm currently wearing Asics Kayanos, considered to be the Rolls Royce of running shoes (they cost me $140+). They are indeed the best shoes I've ever worn; they provide excellent stability (I'm an overpronator) and great cushioning. This is my first time wearing Asics in 12 years of running, and I love them. The 2100 series of Asics is also good, so I've heard.

This is soo true. I started getting properly fitted for my running shoes and it made a world of difference.
    3C, BSL Unstretched -
  • happy-girlhappy-girl Posts: 208Registered Users
    When I run, I prefer Asics. I love Asics. (can't say it enough.)

I like to work in New Balance, when I'm just doing a lot of walking around and standing.
    Mid-back length 3a, red.
    Currently using: Joico, Redken, LA Looks Curl Look gel, BRHG.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file