So apparently guys don't like curly hair on girls

stuipdthingstuipdthing Posts: 35Registered Users
So I did a survey a while back of my school, on the internet etc etc (so a lot of people were part of this)

It was basically what hair guys preffered I went from straight to all the way kinky curly showing pictures of the different curly hair etc

A HUGE, overwhelming majority choose straight hair. Second place was just barely wavy hair.

I'm quite deppressed cause my hair is pretty curly

The comments I got on the survey were along the lines of "curly hair kind of looks like a nest" "you can't run your fingers through it" "it looks weird/stiff" etc etc

::SIGH::

Comments

• LAMissyLAMissy Posts: 15Registered Users
    people have different tastes don't forget that.
    but there are many guys who like curly hair.. they may not be a majority but they are around.
    to be honest most guys who i have spoke to about it say its more about the girl than the hair.
    guys may generally prefer straight hair as an individual trait but straight doesn't suit everyone. i think most guys just like features on a girl that suits her most.

also the media pushes the idea that straight flat ironed hair = sexy
    the majority will be subconciously or openly buying into that idea because it is what is most hyped up and media exposed.
    also if the guys are highschoolers.. they tend to say they like whatever their peers like.. sheep effect lol

but don't worry lots of guys like curly hair, but more importantly i think most guys just don't care! its the girl they want not the hair :thumbup:
    Fully CG since August 2010

3B with some 3A at the front

My hair loves EVOO :love10:

My hair hates protein :angry5:
  • *Angela**Angela* Posts: 251Registered Users
    but don't worry lots of guys like curly hair, but more importantly i think most guys just don't care! its the girl they want not the hair

ITA...and my boyfriend actually prefers my hair curly and doesn't care for the look when I've had it blown out and flat ironed. My boss (who is male) also prefers the curly look). You just keep rocking your curls!
    3b. Normal porosity. Medium texture. Low elasticity.

CONDITIONERS: GVP The Detangler, Tresemme Naturals Nourishing, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta, Suave Pomegranate Splash, KC Knot Today

LEAVE-IN: Shea Moisture Shea Butter (LOVE!)

STYLERS: CJ Curl Queen (LOVE!), Biotera Gel, LA Looks Sports Gel, AOMM
  • connemara22connemara22 Posts: 69Registered Users
    My brother and cousin (both of whom are men that woman go crazy for) both like curly hair. They used to always tell me that they wanted a girl with dark, curly hair......

so there are guys that prefer curly hair.....

you just have to find the right one~
  • PrettyMedusaPrettyMedusa Posts: 619Registered Users
    My brother and cousin (both of whom are men that woman go crazy for) both like curly hair. They used to always tell me that they wanted a girl with dark, curly hair......

so there are guys that prefer curly hair.....

you just have to find the right one~

Definitely. My husband absolutely loves my curls (and curly hair, in general) and always gets mad at me when I threaten to straighten my hair. :laughing2:
    Fine, porous 3a with some 3b...
    Co-wash: Suave Tropicals Coconut Conditioner (with shampoo bars 2x a month) Rinse-out: L'oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss Leave-in: Lustrasilk Styling: CK, Pink Boots, KCCC, AOMM, HESMU, BRHG, CJ Aloe Fix Gel Post-Styling: Apply product to wet hair, scrunch out water with Curls Like Us, diffuse for 5-7 minutes Treatments: Vatika coconut oil, Kama Brahmi oil
  • NicoletteNicolette Posts: 44Registered Users
    So I did a survey a while back of my school, on the internet etc etc (so a lot of people were part of this)

It was basically what hair guys preffered I went from straight to all the way kinky curly showing pictures of the different curly hair etc

A HUGE, overwhelming majority choose straight hair. Second place was just barely wavy hair.

The comments I got on the survey were along the lines of "curly hair kind of looks like a nest" "you can't run your fingers through it" "it looks weird/stiff" etc etc

URGHHH! Y'know, this is exactly why I'm doing the unheard-of in the teenage world of attracting guys-- SHORT. CURLY. HAIR. And I hope to cut it even shorter before school starts. Because I think that if they want me to change my hair for them, then I'll pass.
    897475.png
    2C roots, 3A/3B for the rest.
    currently growing out... pulled down the longest part of hair is a little past the armpit.

curly goals: GROWING OUT! :toothy8:

routine: Condition daily with Nature's Gate Conditioner, shampoo once a week with Organix Hydrating Shampoo .
    Wrap in t-shirt and let dry for ten minutes. Scrunch with Redken Ringlet 07 and blow-dry bangs.

• empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    Those young men are just not that important! lol

I had a guy at work tell me that my straight hair was more flattering. I gave him such a look that he never gave me another "compliment" ever again. Then there was a guy at worked that raved over my curls so much that I had to remind him that I was a taken woman! lol
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • likethegumlikethegum Posts: 494Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've always had the opposite impression - that men think curly hair is sexy, as long as it's healthy. Shiny, soft, curly locks, just exude sex appeal in my opinion! That goes for mens' hair too :)
    3b/3a - CG since 04-30-2009
    fine texture, med porosity
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Co-wash:
    GTTT, Live Clean, EO Sweet Orange
    Condish: Calia, AO Rosa Mosqueta/White Camellia/Honeysuckle Rose/Island Naturals/GPB, ABBA Pure Gentle, Desert Essence Shea Butter
    DT: Usually just use one of my richer conditioners, sometimes add oils or honey
    Gels: Homemade FSG!!!, Druide, BRHG, Alba Soft Hold Style Cream,
    AOMM

experimenting with: honey, agave, oils, butters, ACV, Curls Milkshake, more conditioners

I've always had the opposite impression - that men think curly hair is sexy, as long as it's healthy. Shiny, soft, curly locks, just exude sex appeal in my opinion! That goes for mens' hair too

Unfortunately, highschool guys don't have the same opinions as all the wonderful men you ladies have met. :sad3:
    897475.png
    currently growing out... pulled down the longest part of hair is a little past the armpit.

routine: Condition daily with Nature's Gate Conditioner, shampoo once a week with Organix Hydrating Shampoo .
    Wrap in t-shirt and let dry for ten minutes. Scrunch with Redken Ringlet 07 and blow-dry bangs.

• crazilycurly77crazilycurly77 Posts: 33Registered Users
    Nicolette wrote: »
    I've always had the opposite impression - that men think curly hair is sexy, as long as it's healthy. Shiny, soft, curly locks, just exude sex appeal in my opinion! That goes for mens' hair too
    Unfortunately, highschool guys don't have the same opinions as all the wonderful men you ladies have met. :sad3:

Or maybe they do but they don't want to make their friends think they think curlies are better than stick straight girls because it's the norm.

Or they really do all think straight is better but they're immature and they're totally missing out. So really whatever the reason it's their loss. :laughing6:

Power to the curl! :notworthy:
    CG since 7/24/2009
    3B, thick, coarse, high porosity, highly highly protein sensitive!

co-wash: Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit & Sugar Beet, Suave Naturals Wild Cherry Blossom
    condition: Yes To Cucumbers Daily Makeover Conditioner (Color Care)
    styling: HETT

Seeking a dt
  • onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that straight hair usually shines better (because it allows light to reflect better) and it's easy to touch (I know fingers would get caught in my hair).

And you know men. They like shiny things and working with their hands.
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • botticelli_girl922botticelli_girl922 Posts: 896Registered Users

A guy who's actually worth it won't just like you for your hair. He'll like you for you. A guy who only likes a girl's hair straight isn't a guy who is worth it.
    Curl Type: 2c-3a, Medium thickness, Normal Porosity
    Weekly Low-poo: TJ Pure Castile Soap
    Co-wash: V05 Strawberries and Cream
    Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm (Possibly HG!), GF Triple Nutrition
    Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

Life has many choices. Eternity has two. What's yours?
  • PrettyMedusaPrettyMedusa Posts: 619Registered Users
    ITA with everyone else. High school boys suck, anyway. :angry3:
    Fine, porous 3a with some 3b...
    Co-wash: Suave Tropicals Coconut Conditioner (with shampoo bars 2x a month) Rinse-out: L'oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss Leave-in: Lustrasilk Styling: CK, Pink Boots, KCCC, AOMM, HESMU, BRHG, CJ Aloe Fix Gel Post-Styling: Apply product to wet hair, scrunch out water with Curls Like Us, diffuse for 5-7 minutes Treatments: Vatika coconut oil, Kama Brahmi oil
  • Melanie_LinnMelanie_Linn Posts: 457Registered Users
    yea they do. then again all my gay guy friends love my curls, so i dont care.
    3c/4aMCiii normal/low porosity med elasticty

Shampoo- JC Hydrating Invigorating poo, Alaffia Shea & Virgin Coconut Enriching Shampoo, CV poo bars
    Rinse out- Natures gate hemp, GSAS
    Leave in- GDLI, Beautiful Curls Curl Activating Leave in
    DT- Still working on that
    Styler- Ecostyler Crystal, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme
    Sealer- castor, Shea butter,jojoba oil

I don't know how well I'll keep it up, my blog The Lions Mane
    yea they do. then again all my gay guy friends love my curls, so i dont care.

Seriously! My one gay guy friend thinks I have the most beautiful hair. But he's so scared crapless of my jealous, overbearing female friend that hangs out with us that he only says so privately.
    897475.png

• *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am not suprised. I think most guys like straight hair because for one they are pretty much bombarded with the idea that straight hair more attractive. But not only that.. GUYS ARE VISUAL AND LIKE TO TOUCH.

Many a man love the way a woman's hair feels when he can run his fingers through it and straight long hair evokes this fantasy of some woman with long gorgeous straight hair just swishing back and forth like in the Pantene commecials..

And well when men think of curly hair they don't get the same vibe..they think of not being able to run their finger through it.. the lack of shine or swing (given plenty of curly girls have shine and swing) but many men want the fantasy no matter what their background. But I think if they fell in love with a curly hair woman they wouldn't mind.

Now my husband is sort of different. He PREFERS curly hair on women. When I wore my hair straight he used to beg me to change it back and tell me he likes women with curly hair textures and he prefers it when my hair is curly. And he's always saying this and that celebrity would look even better if she had curls and blah blah. He likes it long as well, but even when it was short he said as long as I have the curls all over the place he's thrilled. So clearly there are men out their that like curly hair more.

But I do recognize and am under no delusions, curly hair is NOT in most men's fantasies about what they want in a woman as far as looks go. And I think high school guys reflect what is perpertrated in society. I mean all the hot chicks (young Hollywood) high school guys like these days do have straight hair and once again it's the fantasy..you don't think.. yeah let me run my fingers through super curly hair.. guys think that about straight or slightly wavy hair.. but not curly in general. High School guys would be no different.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • The Clockwork CurlThe Clockwork Curl Posts: 27Registered Users
    Yes,it´s kind of true.
    Many men are NOT attracted to curly hair.
    Yet,many men ARE!
    I think it´s because of personal prefferences...Or the pop culture and medias.
    I mean,look around.You see women with straight hair almost everywhere,as TV ads,magazine covers,TV shows like makeovers,where they often straighten a curly girl (because they don´t know how to take care of/style curls)and also when celebrities straighten their curls, it is presented in the media as a good idea.
    Over years,curls have been displayed as a frizzy,unruly,unshapey nest (which they are,with good care,NOT!) and prove is the movie The Princess Diary.
    Today world simply doesn´t like natural curls,no matter how beautiful they are.And yes they are beautiful.
    When curls were still in,many men preffered them.Now they see the media and stuff,where they are told that a curly woman is ugly,and if something is repeated over and over,you,like it or not,start to believe it.
    Luckily,we have websites like NC,where we can get advice,and make our hair beautiful.And so,over years, I think curls will be again in style,and loved by many.
    Long enough,eh?;-)
  • peachradarpeachradar Posts: 1Registered Users
    Some of them do, some of them love it. Great news for us!

My boyfriend sometimes gets this silly little smile, and tells me that I have pretty hair, that curly hair is sexy (not sure he'd feel the same if he'd known me in school when I really didn't have the slightest clue, but it's nice to hear).

I remember getting an email at work from a friend, saying that my hair looked really nice. I must have walked around grinning all day! He can't stand his own curly hair though (he either cuts it really short, brushes the crap out of it or covers it in hair gel).

Sometimes I think it would be nice for someone to be able to run their hands through my hair, but I like it the way it is.
  • AppleCurlsAppleCurls Posts: 19Registered Users
    My boyfriend (who is the elusive high school boy) loves my hair. I often have to remind him to stop touching it or it will frizz up. He gets so upset when I put my hair up in a ponytail or a bun. He keeps begging me not to cut it all off (which I've wanted to do for a while- It's an experiment!) because he likes my hair long and curly.

So really, a boy might not think he likes curls- until he catches a curly for himself :]
    high porosity, fine texture

modCG since April 2008!
  • laura123laura123 Posts: 14Registered Users
    A few guys I've dated in the past have said that they prefer straight hair on me instead of curly..however I like my curls and wouldn't straighten them for anyone :) I also had one guy beg me to straighten my hair for him before we went on a date, which kinda annoyed me.

My current boyfriend however loves my curly hair.

I think it depends on the guy's personal preferences although I do think that if a guy judges a girl on just their hair type, then it's a bit shallow.
  • kayemmkay159kayemmkay159 Posts: 171Registered Users
    I come on here and read this sometimes cause it gives me hope:pl: I always feel like maybe I should straighten my hair to impress guys, but then I'm just trying too hard to be someone I'm not. If they don't like the way I am, then it's good that I find out early on that they're a shallow person so I don't waste my time.
  • tengoRizostengoRizos Posts: 195Registered Users
    its true, boys dont like curly hair. BUT MEN DO! :D

jkjk. i guess it all depends on the guy: one of my guy friends loves my curly hair, and curly hair in general, but i get much more attention from guys when i straighten it. but whatever. its my opinion that counts. and the media really does have a lot of influence on boys, more than they would like to admit. that and sex appeal, which in my opinion, influences boys too much. for example, in my experience boys picture hot girls in bikinis on the beach with their straight or slightly (and i mean slight) wavy hair blowing in the wind. the media doesnt show pics of girls in bikinis with gorgeous curls so they dont picture it as sexy.

but what is really sexy is the confidence, and if you rock your curls with confidence guys will think that is sexy.

and no matter what, dont change your standards for a guy, if you love your curly hair and he doesnt, it may be time for you to kick him to the curb
    2c/3a mix and very fine, normal porosity
    Shampoo: Loreal EverSleek Sulfate-free (Only 1 or 2x a week)

CoWash Suave Naturals Coconut or VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze

Rinse Out: Giovanni 2chic Avocado and Olive Oil or GVPCB

Leave in: More Suave Naturals Coconut or GVPCB Always diluted with water/epsom salt spray

Products: AG Re:coil with EcoStyler Olive Oil gel or HETT gel

• FriggaFrigga Posts: 42Registered Users
    This reminds me of my steady boy friend in high school. I got A LOT of compliments on my hair back then (early 90's), and often sheryl crow's "all I wanna do" was sang after me in the halls, (they said that's what my curls looked like). Then, one day at my boyfriends house, he left the room and came back to me with a BRUSH!:shock: I bore my fangs, extracted my claws and hissed at him as I ran into a crouch in the corner! Poor guy, he just wanted to play with my hair! So I can see how our curls can be a conundrum to them, oh so pretty, but hands off please!
    Sulfate free since may of 08!!
    MOD CG since July 09

2b-3a from base to canopy, Self proclaimed 2.5c,botticelli f-mii
    Hendigo head!
    lo poo: burt's bees, Dr. Bonner's
    co wash: Deva curl no poo or suave
    Condish: biologe conditioning balm
    Stylers: AG re:coil, FSG and proclaim
    Plopping...where have you been all my life?!
  • janieboojanieboo Posts: 141Registered Users

Dude, I've heard this too. I was watching some Matchmaking reality show (Manhatten Matchmaker, I think) the other day, and the matchmaker made the woman straighten her hair because "men want something they can run their fingers through." She was against straightening her (glorious) curls, but eventually did it, and all her dates said she looked better. :mad: And THEN was watching Millionaire Matchmaker, and Patti made one of the girls straighten her long curls because, again, "men want straight hair." So she did, and then Patti complained that her hair look "awful, like a brillo pad!" Grrr.

I say, who cares what men think ... or what society thinks men think. Jeez, this may be before your time, but I remember an ad for perming in the mid-ninties for one of those cheaper chain hair salons. You see a woman with curls making out with a man on her couch, and the man says "I always knew I'd marry a girl with curls." The girl reaches over his head and knocks over an old photo of herself with straight hair. Yoiu'd never see an ad like that now! So yeah, society and what people want and find attractive changes. Screw it - being yourself and having confidence and cultivating who you are on the INSIDE is always in style.
  • janieboojanieboo Posts: 141Registered Users
    tengoRizos wrote: »
    its true, boys dont like curly hair. BUT MEN DO! :D

jkjk. i guess it all depends on the guy: one of my guy friends loves my curly hair, and curly hair in general, but i get much more attention from guys when i straighten it. but whatever. its my opinion that counts. and the media really does have a lot of influence on boys, more than they would like to admit. that and sex appeal, which in my opinion, influences boys too much. for example, in my experience boys picture hot girls in bikinis on the beach with their straight or slightly (and i mean slight) wavy hair blowing in the wind. the media doesnt show pics of girls in bikinis with gorgeous curls so they dont picture it as sexy.

but what is really sexy is the confidence, and if you rock your curls with confidence guys will think that is sexy.

and no matter what, dont change your standards for a guy, if you love your curly hair and he doesnt, it may be time for you to kick him to the curb

*applause* Can I get an amen?
  • smileysmiley Posts: 57Registered Users
    when i first met one of my best guy friends, the first thing he said to me was "whoa! you're hair is so cool! can i touch it?" and that was before i had learned how to take care of it :)

i think if a guy likes you for who you are, he'll like your curls, too. i had my hair straight for like, one week (broke my wrist, couldn't wash hair very well lol) and all my guy friends were like, "you look amazing." but they still like my curly hair too. i think that because the straight hair was different, there was more of a reaction. i mean, guys say the same thing when girls with straight hair curl their hair. no one had ever seen my hair straight before. even though my guy friends acted kinda goofy when my hair was straight, they were still my same friends when my hair was curly, and they still love me when my hair is curly. i mean, what more could i ask for in a friend when they tell me that the straight hair looked nice on me, but still liked my curly hair too? they said it matched my personality.

i refuse to straighten my hair now if it's like, a special occasion or somewhere where i'm meeting new people. i want people to like me for who i am and i want them to think that my curly hair matches me too. then if i want a different look someday at school or something, i'll know that my friends already accept me and my curls and that, while my straight hair may look good to them, they'll respect my decision to go with curly hair and agree that it's me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3b. coarse. low-medium porosity. kinda dry.
    co- garnier sleek and shine
    co wash-
    suave naturals almond & shea butter
    shampoo- johnson & johnson baby shampoo 1 time a week (if swimming) or 1 per month
    deep co- garnier sleek and shine left on overnight
    product- lotion w/ shea butter. he set me up gel
    SOMETHING needs to be DIFFERENT!!
  • mrl234mrl234 Posts: 548Registered Users
    You know, it's true that due to the societal pressure to have "perfect" straightened hair, there are many people who do not think curly hair is attractive. People whose tastes are so shallow that they find YOU unattractive because they might prefer straight hair, or ask you to change the way you present yourself to fit their standards, aren't worth your time anyway. Furthermore, just because someone might prefer something doesn't mean they don't find people with other traits ugly or whatever. Just because I think brown eyes are beautiful doesn't mean I would rule someone out since they had blue eyes or wouldn't think their eyes are lovely, too. I wouldn't worry too much :)
    :happy10:
    fia 2C/3A-F-iii, sensitive to some proteins
    CGish since 10-16-08
    Low-poo: Yes to Carrots Daily Pampering Shampoo (1-2x/week)
    Rinse outs: Yes to Carrots Pampering Mud Conditioner
    Styling: a little bit of leave in and a little bit of KCCC, diffusing
    Olive oil DTs, honey rinses in the summer :)
  • DarinaDarina Posts: 71Registered Users
    I don't think the survey really speaks for most men. I wonder if the survey included guys from all ethnic/cultural backgrounds because some cultures really just aren't used to seeing curlies. Even if people had certain preferences, it's usually not a dealbreaker unless they're so shallow and vain that you wouldn't want them anyway. My husband does not have anything close to brown curls and blue eyes and I still married him :toothy10:
    2a/b, coarse, high density
    no idea on porosity
    protein & oil-sensitive
    giving CG another go as of July 2009
    (previously on modified CG)

Current Experiment:
    Co-wash - Biolage Conditioning Balm, Suave Naturals Wild Cherry Blossom
    Rinse-out - Biolage Conditioning Balm, AOHR
    Leave-in - Biolage Conditioning Balm, JCS Nourish & Shine
    Style - Deva Arc Angell, KCCC
    DT - condish/avg/honey mix, Ojon RHT

• Lil'curlsLil'curls Posts: 275Registered Users
    its true, boys dont like curly hair. BUT MEN DO! :iconbiggrin:

ita.
    Teenage curly with 3a-3b course curls
    Shampoo: DCLP
    Rinse Out: GVP conditioning balm in winter. Devacurl One Condition in Summer
    Co Wash: Suave
    Styler: LA Looks Curl Gel
    Leave in: Devacurl One Condition

event.png

• AlicektnAlicektn Posts: 64Registered Users
    Well,curly hair are either hated or loved with passion.

I think that happens because they are not just a frame around the face. They seem to have their own life. Every day they are different. Their shape is distracting people, they draw attention.

I have met men that would pick a strand of my hair out of the blue (kinda like picking a gemstone) and say "oh, how beautiful they are!", and I have met men that would tell me "You would look terrific with straight hair" .

I have noticed a detail, about the "kind" of men that prefer curly hair. From my personal experience, men who love curly hair on women are mainly people with personality, opinions and taste that don't go with the flow.
    Medium textured,porous, fragile 3b/3c :cherry:

Currently liking:
    Shampoo
    Lavera /Almond milk
    Leave ins
    Yalia / Coconut-Stringing nettle Conditioner
    Jojoba oil
    Coconut oil
    Hair styling
    Lavera / Styling mousse

• AlicektnAlicektn Posts: 64Registered Users
    tengoRizos wrote: »