CurlTalk

Non clumpy, skinnny curls, s-curls? Come on in!

Why not have a thread for the non clumpers.

Do you like your waves? Are you tired of feeling like you need to achieve the almighty clump?

Do you have S-curls instead of corkscrews and feel curl inadequate?

Do you feel that your curls just aren't fat enough?

Are you happy with you non clumps? Give others a lift!

Are you lamenting your non corkscrews? Come on in and learn to love your skinny curls, your waves, your almost curls, whatever it is you have.
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.

Comments

• DeodandDeodand Posts: 159Registered Users
    *raises hand* yeah, I got clumps all right. I can get the clumps but they look like CLUMPS of messy hair not nice waves. It seems to be either one or the other - waves or clumps. I'm learning to live with skinny waves. :salut:
    2B low porosity low elasticity fine texture
    I'm not CG - tried it and failed for two years. My scalp hates it.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,249Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    No clumps here, just stringy curls. It's always been that way. It's a little crazy with coils, s-curls, sometimes it reverses direction part-way down.
    It won't clump no matter how hard I try so, just as I learned to love my curly hair, I have also learned to love my stringy curly hair.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users
    I like my s-curls! :) I especially like how they corkscrew on the last inch.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie
  • JodiRaeJodiRae Posts: 166Registered Users
    *raises hand* Skinny curls here.... I think I will always have skinny curls. Maybe when my hair gets longer, I may have clumpy curls...but, I'm really thinking this is the way my hair is. My hair is fine and it just won't clump.
    So far just experimenting with anything and everything!!!!
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    nynaeve77 wrote: »

Mine do that too!!! Sometimes. When they are in the mood. Today - just s-curls all the way down.

I thought I was clumping and even posted a photo in the super clumping thread but then I looked at it and decided it really was not. I think I wanted it to so I made believe it did and then the photographic evidence proved me wrong.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • CoilyOne1812CoilyOne1812 Posts: 384Registered Users
    I like my 4a/3c S-curls. Most of them actually have a wee bit of clumping. But the part in the front that doesn't understand the word clumping makes me sad sometimes. I've mostly given up on clumping in that section and I just try to treat it nicely. I have envied those with a full head of corkscrews in the past, but my S-coils are their own unique thing (and I have a few rogue corkscrews on my head so I don't feel totally left out). Also, if I ever get the urge to straighten, the s-curls are really easy to pull out.
    layer cake of tight, spongy and silky/thready S strands that kink more than they coil
    spiced with a few spiral coils and non-curling waves
    mostly medium and fine with a sprinkle of coarse strands
    protein is yummy
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    No clumps here, just stringy curls. It's always been that way. It's a little crazy with coils, s-curls, sometimes it reverses direction part-way down.
    It won't clump no matter how hard I try so, just as I learned to love my curly hair, I have also learned to love my stringy curly hair.

You and I do have similar looking curls!

• LikeAustraliaLikeAustralia Posts: 2,812Registered Users
    I just have to say that I cracked up reading the OP. RCC, you sounded like a late night infomercial. :)

And now I will leave the thread because I have nothing to add. I'm an overclumper.
    Not Cindy or Sindy or Syndey or any other such abomination.
    It's Sydney, like Australia.
    Formerly known as SydneyCurl.

• IamDonnaIamDonna Posts: 546Registered Users
    I tried tried and tried again and No fat curls!!!
    Clumps??? What are they anyway?? My hair doesn't quite get it!! The s curls and few ringlets I get look great but am very happy to have what I have!! Just like root curl have pretty much given up on that too!!
    Will embrace what GOD has given me and I feel very lucky to have it!!
    Great thread RCC!!
    :love1:3a Long (waist) thick med course dry thirsty
    Poo: Eulence moisture
    Co-wash: GVP CB
    Condish: GVP CB
    LI: KBB nectar
    Styler: CK CIAB
    Gel: BRHG
    DT: Curl Junkie
    Diffuse 70% dry
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FIamDonna%2F" class="Popup

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fhotimg23.fotki.com%2Fp%2Fa%2F70_149%2F75_144%2FDSCN0395-vi573.jpg" class="Popup
    NEW PICS
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    RCC, are you taunting us with that enviable hair of yours?????:crybaby:
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
    SydneyCurl wrote: »
    I just have to say that I cracked up reading the OP. RCC, you sounded like a late night infomercial. :)

And now I will leave the thread because I have nothing to add. I'm an overclumper.

I'm channeling my inner Billy Mays, lol. :)

• JodiRaeJodiRae Posts: 166Registered Users
    I'm very glad you started this thread, rcc. I am new to CG and have been thinking I'm doing something wrong with my hair that it is not clumping.

Now I know, some of us are destined for skinny curls!
    So far just experimenting with anything and everything!!!!
  • ibraidhairibraidhair Posts: 343Registered Users
    Mine is terrible about that! It's practically impossible for me to try like the "skip curl" method or any kind of twirling the hair around my finger to make ringlets/clumps because the coil reverses directions sometimes 2 or 3 times! It works better if I just scrunch it and hope for the best.

My biggest problem with clumping (or lack thereof) is that my hair is never consistent. Some days they're good, some days they're not. And I have a serious variety of curl types, so that makes it more complicated too. I would love to have better clumps and ringlets, but I would be happy if I could just get it to be consistent.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,249Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    And I'm still of the belief that the super-clumpers almost always have 3A hair like rudeechick, and the super-stringies are usually 3B.
    3A hair seems to be more consistant in its coiling, 3B has a multitude of curl types on one head so the hair just can't clump. So we need to just let it do it's thing.
    Just my 2 cents.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    And I'm still of the belief that the super-clumpers almost always have 3A hair like rudeechick, and the super-stringies are usually 3B.
    3A hair seems to be more consistant in its coiling, 3B has a multitude of curl types on one head so the hair just can't clump. So we need to just let it do it's thing.
    Just my 2 cents.

That does make sense.

I've seen better clumps from 2Cs and 3As than I do with 3Bs and up. There are exceptions of course. I've seen 3Cs and 4As with teeny corkscrews that would be considered clumpy for the typical 3C/4A curl diameter.

Then you have the mixed types, the 3a/b mixes like Hockeymom that get great clumps.

I think that it is just a little easier to clump/corkscrew when you have a larger curl diameter.

I can get corkscrews - sorta - and they tend to be a bit lazier and more loose if that makes sense. I guess those are more spirals than corkscrews. I also had them when I had short bangs.

ETA: I agree that it is easier to let the hair do its thing. I just have to stop being jealous of the clumpers, lol.

• SapphireWingstarSapphireWingstar Posts: 381Registered Users
    ibraidhair wrote: »
    Mine is terrible about that! It's practically impossible for me to try like the "skip curl" method or any kind of twirling the hair around my finger to make ringlets/clumps because the coil reverses directions sometimes 2 or 3 times! It works better if I just scrunch it and hope for the best.

My biggest problem with clumping (or lack thereof) is that my hair is never consistent. Some days they're good, some days they're not. And I have a serious variety of curl types, so that makes it more complicated too. I would love to have better clumps and ringlets, but I would be happy if I could just get it to be consistent.

Same!

I've always kind of wished I could have clumpy ringlets instead of my highly individualized ('stringy' sounds gross, which my hair is not. :P) s-curls that only turn into true ringlets at the last inch or so. Buuuut I suppose it's time to love my hair for what it is. :)

Also, for those with highly individualized curls - do your curls clump in the shower? Like, do they form a sheet when you comb conditioner through? My hair refuses to clump, even when I'm combing conditioner through...my hair pretty much looks exactly the same when it's wet as it does dry, only wetter. My friend has 3a hair that clumps like crazy, and I've always wondered if the non-clumping-in-the-shower phenomenon has to do with hair type, texture, or what.
    3b/c...or thereabouts.

Album: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fphotobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fa119%2FCrazyCurlyQ%2F" class="Popup

Password: curlomania
    (albums are on the lefthand side)
  • nancytmccnancytmcc Posts: 103Registered Users
    Thank you so much for starting this thread, RCC. I too have stringy, spaghetti-sized curls, s-curls, some sort of spirals and waves all mixed together. I can relate to what many have posted already, including having curls that corkscrew the bottom half-inch (how strange is that??) and not being able to do the pin-curl method because my curl switches direction halfway down. I really appreciate the idea of embracing my hair no matter what it does. After reading about clumping on this board, I was starting to get so frustrated and feeling so inadequate, similar to the inadequate feelings I had all the time when I would flat-iron my hair for a good half hour and it would NEVER look as smooth and shiny as my stepdaughter's naturally poker-straight long hair. Nor would my hair ever MOVE once I got it straight, because I slicked it with a ton of silicone and hairspray. I don't ever want to go back to feeling that way, and don't want my CG journey to become another way to feel inadequate about the great hair I was given. My hair now MOVES, it is bouncy and shiny for the first time ever, and it is healthier and curlier than it has ever been. I am trying also to make peace with its inconsistencies, because on any given day I can have more or less waves, more or less curl and right now I can't always figure out why. Years ago I got full spiral perms for several years so that I could have consistency in my curls. I am DONE with damaging my hair (well, except for coloring it, but the CG method helps me keep it much healthier even with coloring) to make it something it is not.
    Hair type: 2b, wavy/curly, color treated, fine texture but high density
    Modified CG since 6/14/09
    Products currently rotating: Organic soap bars, ACV rinse, KBB milk, Fuzzy duck gel, BB Gelee, KCCC, Komaza curl pudding, Goddess Glaze, Mop Top shampoo and condish, Gelatine Goo, Burt's Bees More Moisture condish.
    I think my hair likes protein!!
    Interesting about the shower.

I get a long sheet of hair that turns into spirals in the last few inches.

After I shower, I brush in my [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], which gives me one solid straight sheet of hair. I then have to scrunch to get my regular curl pattern started, but it goes along pretty well when I do it.

When my hair is wet, it's more like this.

2cmltuq.jpg

It will curl up as it dries, but it does it a lot more efficiently and neatly if I use gel!

• mpgirlmpgirl Posts: 1,163Registered Users
    I can clump a bit but if I do, my hair has no movement and takes forever to dry. I have skinnier curls and although most are corkscrew, a bunch are something between corkscrew and s-curl. Very frustrating sometimes.

As mine gets longer, it will probably elongate and look more like rcc's hair. Since it is so dense the weight will eventually affect it. My bangs are JUST like your's though rcc. I'm thinking of asking Struttswife to snip mine a bit shorter so they don't separate as much and stop falling into my eyes.

All in all, I love my hair. It is healthy, dense and I have a lot of curl. I have learned to enjoy it.
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi

• rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    Just my 2 cents.

Theres gotta be something to that, cause I do have a few patches of 3b and they seem to be very clump resistant!
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • sugaree75sugaree75 Posts: 19Registered Users
    Thank you for this thread RCC! I am not a huge fan of the clumps. I like smaller, more separated curls myself. When I get clumpy I tend to break them up because they only really clump at the ends and that's just not a good look for me!
    Sugaree curls :toothy4:
    mid-length type 3a/b, normal to fine, normal porosity, color-treated, living in a low humidity climate.
    Shampoo: Redken All Soft once or twice a week
    Conditioner: Redken All Soft, GVP Conditioning Balm on shampoo days.
    Leave-in: GVP Potion 9 and Alterna Hemp Leave-in (HG's!), CK.
    Styling: Alterna Hemp Texturizing Glaze (HG!), Catwalk Root Booster, Paul Mitchell Volumizing Foam, ICON Mesh.
    My Devafuser is my hair's secret weapon for looking fabulous!
  • *Angela**Angela* Posts: 251Registered Users
    sugaree75 wrote: »
    When I get clumpy I tend to break them up because they only really clump at the ends and that's just not a good look for me!

Me too!
    3b. Normal porosity. Medium texture. Low elasticity.

CONDITIONERS: GVP The Detangler, Tresemme Naturals Nourishing, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta, Suave Pomegranate Splash, KC Knot Today

LEAVE-IN: Shea Moisture Shea Butter (LOVE!)

STYLERS: CJ Curl Queen (LOVE!), Biotera Gel, LA Looks Sports Gel, AOMM
  • curlyhairmichukcurlyhairmichuk Posts: 860Registered Users
    I'm a non-clumper! - and its really ok!:-?
    UK curly

fine to medium strands, porous, medium density
    CG May 2009 - low poo occasionally
    Co-wash: Tresemme Naturals
    Styling -Naked Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, Mop Top, FSG
    Product for a good hair day: FSG or Mop Top
    Hair loves protein!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlyhairmichuk%2F" class="Popup
    new pics added Jan 2012

Enjoying the freedom of going curly!:wave:
    Duchess of Alba, Keeper of the Tartan Curls in The Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • s-curl-7s-curl-7 Posts: 193Registered Users
    rudeechick wrote: »
    Just my 2 cents.

Theres gotta be something to that, cause I do have a few patches of 3b and they seem to be very clump resistant!

I too think there seems to something in this: I have a couple of thin corkscrews that usually never clump. The only way to get them to clump is to "turn" their direction when wet - this seems to "open them" up. I don't mind the thinner curls in terms of how they look, but I don't like one of them because its impractical - it frames my face but tends to sort of fall into my face, and it's hard to keep it away because it won't pair up with other curls. Hm, difficult to describe.

I also have one spot were I get a weird clump - two or three curls with a larger curl diameter sort of curling into each other, resulting in a very odd curl shape. Luckily this one is mostly hidden by the hair on top.
    Current HG: CJ CCCC-lite+BRHG
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fs-curl-7%2F" class="Popup
  • goobernutgoobernut Posts: 2,317Registered Users
    I have nothing even close to resembling a corkscrew. Maybe close to an s curl (I think), but not really.

A lightbulb recently went off for me (DING!). I was using all these curl cremes hoping to get more curl, when I realized that my waves are very easily weighed down. Dropped the curl creme and voila! not much difference in the curl and I have longer hold. I'll take the longer hold over curlier curls.

Only the icequeen method gives me anything resembling clumps and I have to be careful with that. i don't have a whole lotta hair so it can make me look bald in spots. I usually break up the clumps near the scalp. I think its important for me to NOT get too much product near the scalp heh.

My hair in the shower becomes strings. not even really curly, about one big S per string.

I'd also like to say that its inspirational that RCC started this thread, because I honestly never looked at her pics and thought "oh, skinny curls". All I saw was, "awesome!"

Seriously, I'm learning that we are our own worst critics. RCC works so well with her own hair type that it looks beautiful. Variety is the spice of life!
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
  • aeroheadaerohead Posts: 179Registered Users
    nynaeve77 wrote: »

And mine do that as well!! yaya!!!!!:cheers::cheers:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thick, 2C with little 3A's thrown in to make my hair look a little more wild.FIA:2c/3a-M
    Last Haircut:17/1/07
    Ultimate Goal: To go as long as possible
    Products Used:coconut cowash, tescos own gel citrus spice whipped butter
    Hair Length:BSL
    NEW PHOTOS ADDED: 20th August'09
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Faerohead%2F" class="Popup
  • bettinflabettinfla Posts: 389Registered Users
    I'm convinced no matter what products I use, my hair mostly looks the same -- kind of s, corkscrew curls that always look dry -- I do color. I still get compiments on it and am happy and thankful I have the hair I do -- many women in their 60s don't.
    Homemade FSG, CK, KCCC and BRHG. Co wash w/Suave, or soap bars (occasionally) or Come Clean (Kinky Curly).
    rudeechick wrote: »
    RCC, are you taunting us with that enviable hair of yours?????:crybaby:

No, I've just spent days stewing in jealousy at your clumps!

I was mad and jealous that I couldn't get them.

But, WTH, I have hair that I like a lot, so why the eff am I getting all stupid and trying to have hair that I don't have. Sometimes I'm a dumbazz.

I liked seeing so many other S curlies and those in between curls and waves galore.

It was fascinating to read other curlies specific types of curl, and some I never noticed the specific types. I just noticed cool hair!

Mpgirl, my hair gets in my face a lot too! That's part of why I wear headband a lot.

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,681Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Count me in as a non-clumper. I've got straight bits, waves, s-curls and ringletty bits but not a clump to be seen. When I first came here I tried desperately to get the clumps that I saw (seemingly) everywhere but it was too much like hard work for minimal results and at the end of the day I don't have enough hair to get away with clumps. C'est la vie.

I'm more accepting now of what I've got and try to work with it the best I can, though I was tempted to try the supersoaker method recently and actually had decent results, though it was too much effort for lazybones me!
    3b in South Australia.
  • curlicarlycurlicarly Posts: 242Registered Users
    3b/c s-curls here! How do you even take care of s-curls?? I have no idea! I guess I should stop scrunching in product..
    3b/c coarse, porous (I think), and THICK! Mod CG since: 10/11/08
    Avoiding humectants and protein!