White House calls for Citizen Informants

susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,374Registered Users Curl Novice
This is beyond disturbing. The WHITE HOUSE is calling for illegal. Pure and simple. There are laws that expressly forbid information gathering like this. Nixon had an 'enemies list', and it sure as hell looks like Obama is doing the same thing.

Yes, this is a blog entry, but it is the WHITE HOUSE and if you think anything goes out without vetting by the counsel, etc., you are kidding yourself.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/Facts-Are-Stubborn-Things/

"There is a lot of disinformation about health insurance reform out there, spanning from control of personal finances to end of life care. These rumors often travel just below the surface via chain emails or through casual conversation. Since we can’t keep track of all of them here at the White House, we’re asking for your help. If you get an email or see something on the web about health insurance reform that seems fishy, send it to [email protected]."
My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

Comments

• LikeAustraliaLikeAustralia Posts: 2,812Registered Users
    susancnw wrote: »
    This is beyond disturbing. The WHITE HOUSE is calling for illegal. Pure and simple. There are laws that expressly forbid information gathering like this. Nixon had an 'enemies list', and it sure as hell looks like Obama is doing the same thing.

Yes, this is a blog entry, but it is the WHITE HOUSE and if you think anything goes out without vetting by the counsel, etc., you are kidding yourself.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/Facts-Are-Stubborn-Things/

"There is a lot of disinformation about health insurance reform out there, spanning from control of personal finances to end of life care. These rumors often travel just below the surface via chain emails or through casual conversation. Since we can’t keep track of all of them here at the White House, we’re asking for your help. If you get an email or see something on the web about health insurance reform that seems fishy, send it to [email protected]."

Maybe I'm just not up on my laws about this, but why is this illegal? Isn't it just a way for them to keep on top of information that is spreading around and try to keep facts straight in the public eye? I mean, if they intend to censor people or groups for saying what they think, that's one thing. However, if they're just trying to keep the facts straight in the media, why is that wrong? :help:
    Not Cindy or Sindy or Syndey or any other such abomination.
    It's Sydney, like Australia.
    Formerly known as SydneyCurl.

• PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    I don't see the issue. It looks like they just want to be aware of mis-information so they can address the misperception. It doesn't say anything about shutting it down.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,374Registered Users Curl Novice
    Go back and read the post at the White House again. It is not talking about the media. They are asking for specific names, email addresses. And when someone forwards an email to the White House, it is never deleted. ALL email to the WH is kept as a matter of public record.

Federal law mandates that the White House turn over ALL CORRESPONDENCE to the National Archives and thus the names/IP addys/Email addys will of course be kept permanently.

"or through casual conversation."

Those are the four words that people need to pay attention to.

And if the Bush administration had suggested doing this, all hell would have broken loose. The media, Congress (both sides of the aisle), but for some reason, this administration does this and no one even blinks? I'm not sure which aspect I find more disturbing, the fact that people are encouraged to literally rat out someone who is not falling into the groupthink, or that more people aren't worried.
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file