Transitioning in the Summer is Becoming a Nightmare!

curlyplus2curlyplus2 Posts: 105Registered Users
Someone please help. If you can't help, please feel my pain. :) I am so frustrated with transitioning right now that I feel I may big chop any day. I'm just afraid because I don't know what style I would be able to wear if I big chop. I'm posting that question to the 3C board since my natural hair seems to be 3C. Anyway, here's my dilemma. I have mostly natural hair, but still a nice amount of stick straight permed ends! I am going on my 11th month of no relaxer and the summer heat is taking it's toll on my non-relaxed curls. It's too hard to maintain a straight style because the minute I get into humidity or sweat, it poofs out. I can't maintain a curly style because the straight ends just will not cooperate with my curly look. In addition, I cut my hair in a chin length layered bob a few months ago to try and get rid of a lot of the relaxer and the style looks none too cute with the mix of straight and curly. I have tried time and time again and cannot master twist outs or braidouts. What else can I do? Even with my best flat iron techniques, my hair will no longer stay straight in this humidty. I want to just wear my hair natural and stop fighting against what it wants to do, but wear it how? Anyone have any advice or similar experience? Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond!
Hair Type: 3C Natural, 3B Relaxed. I'm transitioning!

Fotki Password: curly

Comments

  • MeNaturallyMeNaturally Posts: 9Registered Users
    How many inches of relaxed hair do you have left? It sounds as if there are only a few inches of relaxed hair. If it's only a few inches then a big chop wouldn't be as dramatic as you fear, and it would make your life so much easier. Also summer is almost over if you wait until september you'll have a bit more length if that makes much of a difference.

    I am in the same boat sort of, but I only have 2' inches of curly hair and the rest is relaxed so I have a long way to go. Plus the relaxed hair has absolutely no curl definition at all! If I could taste victory I would cut my hair right now but I have soo many months ahead of me :(
    Transitioning from relaxed to natural. I am 3b and have about 2' of ng as of 8/23/06 . BC in Spring of 07 or Summer of 07.
  • MeNaturallyMeNaturally Posts: 9Registered Users
    Sorry double post! :oops:
    Transitioning from relaxed to natural. I am 3b and have about 2' of ng as of 8/23/06 . BC in Spring of 07 or Summer of 07.
  • curlyplus2curlyplus2 Posts: 105Registered Users
    Hi MeNaturally. It's hard to tell how much relaxer I have left because I have layers. Where my back/kitchen area is already all natural, some of the front where the longer layers are are about 4 inches! Maybe I should wait a little longer, but it's so hard! :) Sigh....
    Hair Type: 3C Natural, 3B Relaxed. I'm transitioning!

    Fotki Password: curly
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    just treat it like its all curly that's what i do. wet and gel. or if you want it straight well i don't know because my hair barely reacts to humidity. :? weird i know
    3b-3c CG
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,792Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Can you just wear it in buns and updos until it's cooler out?

  • curlyplus2curlyplus2 Posts: 105Registered Users
    blush wrote:
    just treat it like its all curly that's what i do. wet and gel. or if you want it straight well i don't know because my hair barely reacts to humidity. :? weird i know

    Blush, how do you get your relaxed ends curly with gel? Even with all the scrunching, I cannot get them to curl.
    Hair Type: 3C Natural, 3B Relaxed. I'm transitioning!

    Fotki Password: curly
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    curlyplus2 wrote:
    blush wrote:
    just treat it like its all curly that's what i do. wet and gel. or if you want it straight well i don't know because my hair barely reacts to humidity. :? weird i know

    Blush, how do you get your relaxed ends curly with gel? Even with all the scrunching, I cannot get them to curl.
    my relaxed ends are wavy. oh yeah.. that might be because i got a "curl reducer relaxer" :oops: my bad! but i could have sworn i got a real relaxer too before that :?: well i mean are your ends like a huge difference? do you have a picture?
    3b-3c CG
  • curlyplus2curlyplus2 Posts: 105Registered Users
    Can you just wear it in buns and updos until it's cooler out?
    Thanks Spiderlashes. It's actully too short for a bun or updo.
    Hair Type: 3C Natural, 3B Relaxed. I'm transitioning!

    Fotki Password: curly
  • curlyplus2curlyplus2 Posts: 105Registered Users
    blush wrote:
    curlyplus2 wrote:
    blush wrote:
    just treat it like its all curly that's what i do. wet and gel. or if you want it straight well i don't know because my hair barely reacts to humidity. :? weird i know

    Blush, how do you get your relaxed ends curly with gel? Even with all the scrunching, I cannot get them to curl.
    my relaxed ends are wavy. oh yeah.. that might be because i got a "curl reducer relaxer" :oops: my bad! but i could have sworn i got a real relaxer too before that :?: well i mean are your ends like a huge difference? do you have a picture?

    Yes, my ends are a big difference. The next time I wash and attempt a natural style, I will take pics. In the beginning of transitioning, I was able to get it to all blend in (you can see in my FOTKI) but now that it's a lot more natural, the difference in textures has become very noticeable. It's could be possible that the already relaxed ends are even more straight from my flat ironing for straight styles often. Maybe damaged from the heat?
    Hair Type: 3C Natural, 3B Relaxed. I'm transitioning!

    Fotki Password: curly
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    curlyplus2 wrote:
    It's could be possible that the already relaxed ends are even more straight from my flat ironing for straight styles often. Maybe damaged from the heat?
    true, hair doesn't return to its fullest state after being flat ironed. and probably true about damage if you do it all the time.
    3b-3c CG
  • GoddessCurlsGoddessCurls Posts: 1,537Registered Users
    When I was relaxing regularly, in the summers I would still go curly cause the heat wouldn't really let me be straight...I'd spend hours straightening and then go out in the heat and....well you know the rest!lol But once I washed and conditioned my hair, put in some gel and scrunched it....it was curly again. I kinda though that was the case for everyone who relaxed. I was blown away when a friend of mine told me that when she relaxed she didn't need to blow dry to get it straight...when she got out of the shower...it was just straight. I figured you'd still need to blow dry with a comb attachment but that the relaxer just made the whole process a little easier.
    ________________________
    http://public.fotki.com/curlygirl1978/

    Back on Cones,so now my routine is,wash with Deva No-Poo every other day or so. Occasionally use 365 sulfate free,maybe use low sulfate shampoo mixed with conditioner once every two weeks are longer. I condition with Aussie Moist or HEHH. I style with a little GF TN,and finish up with tons of GN Pure Clean Smoothing Cream. No frizz...slippy, happy hair.
  • BagogyulBagogyul Posts: 3Registered Users
    how about some cornrows or braids......
    it's great for summer and can still look professional depending on where you are working
    it takes away the time to get your hair ready...and your not thinking about transitioning....
    Hello....Try U Best!
  • curlyplus2curlyplus2 Posts: 105Registered Users
    When I was relaxing regularly, in the summers I would still go curly cause the heat wouldn't really let me be straight...I'd spend hours straightening and then go out in the heat and....well you know the rest!lol But once I washed and conditioned my hair, put in some gel and scrunched it....it was curly again. I kinda though that was the case for everyone who relaxed. I was blown away when a friend of mine told me that when she relaxed she didn't need to blow dry to get it straight...when she got out of the shower...it was just straight. I figured you'd still need to blow dry with a comb attachment but that the relaxer just made the whole process a little easier.

    When I relaxed regularly. I still needed to blow dry and flat iron to straighten my hair. But in the beginning, my curl pattern with a relaxer was more of a 3A or 3B pattern (you can see in my FOTKI) When I got several months into the transitioning process, my natural 3C really showed up and now at 11 months, my natural hair is very 3C and the leftover relaxed ends refuse to curl. I should add that I cut off some more ends yesterday and got a Mineral Softener, so I am not sure what my natural hair looks like now since I am wearing it straight this week. But back to your point, for some reason once I got really into the transitioning phase, my ends would not continue to curl even with a lot of scrunching.
    Hair Type: 3C Natural, 3B Relaxed. I'm transitioning!

    Fotki Password: curly
  • curlyplus2curlyplus2 Posts: 105Registered Users
    Bagogyul wrote:
    how about some cornrows or braids......
    it's great for summer and can still look professional depending on where you are working
    it takes away the time to get your hair ready...and your not thinking about transitioning....

    Hey Bagoguyl, thanks for the suggestions. Actually, I did micros for a very short period, but they slipped out of my head too much. I would love cornrows, but I'm a little shy about my forehead. :D
    Hair Type: 3C Natural, 3B Relaxed. I'm transitioning!

    Fotki Password: curly
  • teliteli Posts: 7Registered Users
    curlyplus2, I feel your pain!! :cry: I can't offer any advice because I am experiencing the same problem. However, my hair falls a little past my shoulders, so I constantly wear it in a ponytail or bun. I am so sick of wearing it this way, I can't wait until I have completed my transition and I can wear it down. I just wanted to encourage you to continue on, it will be well worth it in the long run. :D
    Modified CG
    Roots 3C/ Ends 3B
    Transitioning (over processed hair) since 6/06
  • foxycus02foxycus02 Posts: 918Registered Users
    Curlyplus2...talk 2 me. I'm on my 11th month now, Sept 16th will mark my year from my second transition. Last year I went to get a softener and ended up w stick straight relaxed hair LONG dissapointing story. The humidity in NY killed my straight style, plus I work out. Two things have been helping me lots: sock buns (so you dont walk around with an itty bitty nugget on your head) and comb clips (the they your grandma wore back in the day that grabs a whole bunch of hair vertically and makes u seem like you have a big curly poof. I am using and loving the Christo styling products, the best Ive tried. I rinse my hair every morning and condition rinse add my styling products and style. This has been working for me. As well as being creative w my pulled back styles so it looks cuter. Sometimes I let some ringlets w no relaxed ends fall on the back and framing my face, or ill do that lil camel hump in the front, finger comb all to one side possibilities are endless.
    I thought about doign the big chop next month but I styled my hair just to see how my curls would hang and I dont wanna walk around w a mini fro, I mean by the time they cut the straight ends, then cut some more to give it shape Ill have a dude cut dont want that.
    Ill just keep doing my trims every 2 months until all is gone. Plus I went to Christo for a consultation with Alice. She advised me to wait at least another 6 months. The way my hair grows is longer in the back shorter in the front, so while I have no relaxer left at the very back the sides and top front have long relaxed ends. My hair is a little past my shoulders straight. She said she would have to cut alot from the back and bring me back to square one to shape it w the length of the front which makes no sense after ive been so patient. I agree, go to a stylist and get a consultation. An honest stylist that cares about your hair not your wallet.
    Wait it out a little more if you cant do the sock bun, buy a bun and just place it over your hair. Girl you have too many options dont distress.

    Love and Blessings

    rockin' to the tune of her own beat...


    comic-p.jpg
  • curlyplus2curlyplus2 Posts: 105Registered Users
    Teli & Foxycus02...thank you both for your support. Let me give you a little update. I did get the Mineral Softener almost 2 weeks ago. I also got a little more of my hair cut off. Not much, but more layers and a different shape since my stylist said that as my hair grew out, the layers would grow out like I described I wanted them. The mineral softener honestly gives me the best of both worlds. Well...almost. When the stylist did my hair, she styled it straight and it was beautiful. Looked like I got a perm but not all the perm side effects. Then I washed my hair last weekend and my natural wet hair was just as curly/natural as ever with a minor amount of relaxed ends left (thanks to the cut). BUT, my hair still does not look cute natural and I think it's because it's too short. It's not TWA short, but it's a little past my earlobe straight so when it shrivels up wet, it just doesn't look real cute. I can't figure out if it's A)too short or B)I'm trying to wear a straight style in a curly look. :? Whatever the case may be, I am forced to wear my hair straight until it grows a little more. And this is my OWN fault. There's nothing wrong with short hair, I just think I don't know how to style my in-between length in a natural way. I either have to go really short or a little longer. And I don't want to cut anymore. :)

    But back to the straight look. With the mineral softener, it doesn't puff up as quickly in this summer heat, but it doesn't get as straight as a perm would either. Does that make any sense? Okay, sorry for the long update but thank you girls so much for all your thoughts and support. I still consider myself a curly girl since when I don't apply all that heat from the blow dryer and flat iron, I'm definitely still natural! And when I exercise and sweat way too much, there's NO DOUBT. :lol: Keep the support coming! :D
    Hair Type: 3C Natural, 3B Relaxed. I'm transitioning!

    Fotki Password: curly
  • luvnmycurlzluvnmycurlz Posts: 36Registered Users
    I went through that stage, too and recall it being very frustrating. Twistouts got me through this stage. I didn't have to do too much work to the areas that were relaxer-free, but for those areas that were still pretty straight, I'd apply elasta qp mango butter, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Whipped-Cream-p-883.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Whipped-Cream]curls whipped cream[/buylink] (or something similar) and keracare moisturizer. I'd twist my hair at night and in the morning (after ensuring my hair was 100% dry) undo the the twists, separate and finger style. It was a lifesaver. Once I got tired of twistouts, I'd wear a phony pony (another lifesaver.) All the while I was gradually trimming off the relaxed ends. Another thing I recall that helped me get through: flexirod sets. This was a nice, alternate look AND it was easier sleeping on them than magnetic rollers. Lastly, one thing I still do which I really like: a quick shot of warm air from a blow dryer to stretch the hair out. My hair gets really short when it's curly, so the warm air to the roots does wonders to "bring back" the length.

    Hope some of this helps.
  • curlyplus2curlyplus2 Posts: 105Registered Users
    Luvinmycurlz,

    Hey, how did you use the flexirods? I have some red ones--skinny---from wayyyyy back in the day. I was thinking about trying them out since I prefer my hair curly than straight, but I never know which size to use. My success with them was a jheri curl look! Did you use it on wet hair, dry hair or what? Thanks!
    Hair Type: 3C Natural, 3B Relaxed. I'm transitioning!

    Fotki Password: curly
  • luvnmycurlzluvnmycurlz Posts: 36Registered Users
    I started off using the orange rods. As my hair has grown, I've begun using the purple and grey rods. Thus far, I've done it on wet hair. I did a really good set recently that came out in nice spirals. I've read that some ladies set their hair on the rods while dry, but I haven't tried this yet. I've had the jheri curl look, too! As I mentioned before, warm air to the roots was my best friend during these times (not much -- just a little and I never encountered any damage.)

    What about coupling a flexirod set with a cute scarf, headband or other hair accessory?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file