CurlTalk

stop denying your hair type

pretty sure i'm not the only one who went through this. i spent 2yrs trying to make my hair 'curl'(corkscrew). i thought maybe with different products or techniques it would do it. mind you i completed ignored the fact that when my hair looked good it was a well defined 's' type. about a week ago it FINALLY clicked my hair does not and will not EVER be corkscrew.
Once i stopped ignoring it and started working with my curl pattern instead of against it i have to say i've had nothing but good hair days. i don't have to layer on tons of products, use expensive products, plop and all this other stuff i was trying. all i do is a really good water wash, get out the shower, put in a good amount of conditioner(hair is long and thick) use a tee shirt to soak up most of the water let it dry for a little while, then section it off and put in some gel(similar to shingling) and viola! All of my products cost under $3 too:blob2:
i'm loving my hair more in this past week than i have in a really long time. just wanted to share
hair properties: low porosity, coarse, dense and predominantly 3b I guess

current products:
conditioner - suave professionals
leave in - suave naturals
stylers - shea moisture smoothie and xtreme gel

Comments

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    Hair care is so much more fun when you work with not against your hair. Glad you found a good solutions. I have those S curls too for most of my length, with some small corkscrews at the ends of the hair.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 8,470Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Hair care is so much more fun when you work with not against your hair.

Amen!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • mrl234mrl234 Posts: 548Registered Users
    Agreed. It's kinda sad that even on this board that there are so many people trying to change their hair type (wanting significantly looser or tigther curls) instead of just working with what they've got. Wish people could just accept themselves more. Glad you've finally stopped fighting your hair :)
    :happy10:
    fia 2C/3A-F-iii, sensitive to some proteins
    CGish since 10-16-08
    Low-poo: Yes to Carrots Daily Pampering Shampoo (1-2x/week)
    Rinse outs: Yes to Carrots Pampering Mud Conditioner
    Styling: a little bit of leave in and a little bit of KCCC, diffusing
    Olive oil DTs, honey rinses in the summer :)
  • CrystalRainCrystalRain Posts: 170Registered Users
    I don't bother denying my hair type anymore... I know I'm never going to have the dries-and-is-perfect-in-five-minutes hair for which we all pine, nor is my hair magically going to change types. But I struggled for a while, wanting to believe that one day I would just wake up that way. But since discovering this site and learning about hair types and CG, I've decided to accept and love what I've got. I've been told that people would kill for my hair, anyway...why spend time striving for something else?
    Thick, mostly 2c with some 3a; fine texture, medium/high porosity, and a very strange curl & wave pattern.

Started CG (properly) as of 6/31/2009.

Cowash | Suave Naturals Ocean Breeze or Juicy Green Apple
    Rinse-out | Burt's Bees Super Shiny
    Leave-in | Live Clean Intense Moisturizing
    Gel | HESMU

Right now: growing hair past shoulder-length, looking to take decent hair picture (my avatar is my first day of CG).
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    Gretchen wrote: »

Amen!

+2. I have spent my whole life trying to turn my 3a (once 3c) hair into 2c cascading waves. This summer i gave up! Much happier, though i secretly fear I will regress:sign6:
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • Leigh'07Leigh'07 Posts: 183Registered Users
    i knew i wasn't the only one;-) only thing i'm not liking(yet still accept) is that it take 5+ hours for my hair to fully dry when i use gel. when i just put conditioner in it, it drys in about an hour or so. oh well i don't look like a wet dog so it's not THAT bad. Even when my hair isn't 'perfect' i can always put it up in a updo which ALWAYS looks awesome :love5:

current products:
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    Hair care is so much more fun when you work with not against your hair. Glad you found a good solutions. I have those S curls too for most of my length, with some small corkscrews at the ends of the hair.

I have lots of S curls too. Nothing wrong with some S curls! :) Not everyone can have the corkscrews, and that's fine
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • curlyhairmichukcurlyhairmichuk Posts: 860Registered Users
    you know, I was thinking this too - I've been going demented trying to get clumps and I just thought I should try and work with what I've got and let my hair be what it wants to be....icon7.gif
    UK curly

fine to medium strands, porous, medium density
    CG May 2009 - low poo occasionally
    Co-wash: Tresemme Naturals
    Styling -Naked Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, Mop Top, FSG
    Product for a good hair day: FSG or Mop Top
    Hair loves protein!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlyhairmichuk%2F" class="Popup
    new pics added Jan 2012

Enjoying the freedom of going curly!:wave:
    Duchess of Alba, Keeper of the Tartan Curls in The Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,264Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'd be happy to accept my 2C waves with a few corkscrews, if I could just get rid of the frizz, I'm still battling and losing...
    shoulder length inverted bob; fine; 3A-3B; med-thick density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; seems to hate moisturizing products and oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

receive $10 off 1st order of $40 & up, or $5 off on smaller orders, when using iHERB code: GIK909
  • IzzyTheTerribleIzzyTheTerrible Posts: 194Registered Users

Agreed!
    2a-2b/fine/LOTS of it/Florida Dews
    CG as of 7/29.

Co-Wash: Suave Tropical Coconut
    RO-Condish: Suave Tropical Coconut / Matrix Conditioning Balm
    Low-Poo: Daisy Fuentes

Protein --> :love8: <-- My Hair
  • aaa00aaaa00a Posts: 284Registered Users
    Frizzly wrote: »
    I'd be happy to accept my 2C waves with a few corkscrews, if I could just get rid of the frizz, I'm still battling and losing...
    +1
    Wavy, dry, protein sensitive, coarse, highly overly porus, very low elasticity, medium-thick density, very prone to split ends
    Avoids: Sulphates, Silicones, Protein, Mineral oil, Petroleum, Polyquaternium, Sodium/Magnesium, Heat
    Mod-CG since June 2007
  • squigglezsquigglez Posts: 65Registered Users
    Leigh'07 wrote: »
    pretty sure i'm not the only one who went through this. i spent 2yrs trying to make my hair 'curl'(corkscrew). i thought maybe with different products or techniques it would do it. mind you i completed ignored the fact that when my hair looked good it was a well defined 's' type. about a week ago it FINALLY clicked my hair does not and will not EVER be corkscrew.
    Once i stopped ignoring it and started working with my curl pattern instead of against it i have to say i've had nothing but good hair days. i don't have to layer on tons of products, use expensive products, plop and all this other stuff i was trying. all i do is a really good water wash, get out the shower, put in a good amount of conditioner(hair is long and thick) use a tee shirt to soak up most of the water let it dry for a little while, then section it off and put in some gel(similar to shingling) and viola! All of my products cost under $3 too:blob2:
    i'm loving my hair more in this past week than i have in a really long time. just wanted to share

aaaahhhhhh. the most beautiful hair post EVER. be ye thankful. great hair days galore since "this" happened to me! THANKS FOR POSTING THIS! :occasion5:
    Life is full of choices :confused:...
    choose carefully.
  • ellageorginaellageorgina Posts: 1,511Registered Users
    ITA with this. I have corkscrews and always use to try to get the bo-ho waves, but now I work with them not against them, they look great!
    If you fight against your hair your hair will always win!
    3b-med texture-med porosity
    CG from 21-05-09 2nd try!
    Conditioners: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, Aubrey Organics GPB Protein
    Stylers: CJ CCCC, CJ AFG, KCCC
    Gel: Lavera Organic

My hair LOVES CURL JUNKIE <3 :love10:
    www.fotki.com/loopyloops.

If you fight against your hair your hair will always win!

or you both will lose i.e you end up damaging your hair which i was on the way of doing but fortunately avoided.

current products:
  • curlicarlycurlicarly Posts: 242Registered Users
    Leigh'07 wrote: »

Yay, you understand! I keep trying to make my hair "curl" but I realized like a week ago that they're s-curls! What conditioner and gel do yo use?
    3b/c coarse, porous (I think), and THICK! Mod CG since: 10/11/08
    Avoiding humectants and protein!
  • DeodandDeodand Posts: 159Registered Users
    Look, we're all nuts. I got the boho waves and I want corkscrews. Lovely corkscrews up there wants boho waves.
    2B low porosity low elasticity fine texture
    I'm not CG - tried it and failed for two years. My scalp hates it.
  • OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,264Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Deodand wrote: »
    Look, we're all nuts. I got the boho waves and I want corkscrews. Lovely corkscrews up there wants boho waves.

yep, deep in my little ol' heart, I want all corkscrews but I HAVE to accept I'll never have them....:crybaby:
    shoulder length inverted bob; fine; 3A-3B; med-thick density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; seems to hate moisturizing products and oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

receive $10 off 1st order of $40 & up, or $5 off on smaller orders, when using iHERB code: GIK909
  • _Analyze__Analyze_ Posts: 61Registered Users

exactly! i tried for two years to get corkscrews yet my wavy s-curls did NOT want to curl that way lol. so i wasted TIME and MONEY trying to shape my hair into something it did not want to curl into.
    thick, curly & coily
    na-tu-ral since nov. 04'

• curlyinohiocurlyinohio Posts: 362Registered Users
    Personally, I think S curls are pretty.
    Cowash: Suave Aloe and Water Lily
    Conditioner and Leave-in: GFTN
    LA Looks Sport Gel
    Coconut oil Or Olive oil at night
  • goobernutgoobernut Posts: 2,317Registered Users
    see, I'm not even picky enough to just want corkscrews. DEL's hair would be MORE than perfect, but in reality just as unobtainable for me heh. My hair is fine-med and med texture. My hair will never wave up like hers.

So whatever, my new goal is consistency! lol.
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
    curlicarly wrote: »

Yay, you understand! I keep trying to make my hair "curl" but I realized like a week ago that they're s-curls! What conditioner and gel do yo use?

the past week i've been using lustrasilk mango and a cheapy gel called softee. i tried la looks buts it's just WAY to sticky for me. when i'm actually using a wash out condtioner i use gvp conditioning balm

current products:
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    goobernut wrote: »
    see, I'm not even picky enough to just want corkscrews. DEL's hair would be MORE than perfect, but in reality just as unobtainable for me heh. My hair is fine-med and med texture. My hair will never wave up like hers.

So whatever, my new goal is consistency! lol.

Not a bad goal.

I think one of the hard parts, aside from finding what ingredients and combos work best, is learning what our genetic curl set-point is. I mean, curls can be enhanced or lengthened out with various products and methods and such. But, learning what our curl pattern really is, especially if one has to transition or come off lots of time of chronic sub optimal hair health, can be a challenge and can really take some time to see.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.