FDA approves UVA sunscreen

BlondieCurlBlondieCurl Posts: 108Registered Users
Hot damn!! They finally got off their butts and approved Mexoryl!! It's sad that I get this excited about sunscreen.

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- A sunscreen that blocks the type of ultraviolet radiation linked to some cancers, and which has been available only outside the United States, received federal approval Monday.

Called Anthelios SX, it contains ecamsule, an ingredient better at blocking ultraviolet A, or UVA, radiation than other sunscreen ingredients currently sold in the United States. Those ingredients mainly screen out UVB rays.

UVB has long been associated with sunburn. UVA is recognized as a deeper penetrating radiation, according to the Food and Drug Administration. Doctors suspect a link between UVA exposure and wrinkles, basal and squamous cell cancers and melanoma.

Anthelios SX sunscreen is made by the French cosmetics company L'Oreal SA. It has a sun protection factor or SPF of 15.

The sunscreen contains three active ingredients, including ecamsule or Mexoryl SX. Mexoryl has been included in the company's sunscreens sold in Canada and Europe since 1993. Some pharmacies in Canada have reported increasing numbers of American buyers of the sunscreen.

"We now have the tools to give U.S. consumers very high UVA protection," said Alan Meyers, the senior vice president of research and development at L'Oreal USA.

The formula is photo-stable, which means it does not degrade from long sun exposure.

Anthelios will be available without a prescription this fall at certain pharmacies and doctors' offices.
Somewhere between a 2-3a, Currently loving Innersense Quiet Calm Curl control cocktailed with L'Oreal Melting Gel.

Comments

• SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    It's not the FDA dragging their feet. The manufacturer has to do the studies and submit them for approval.
  • Confused CurlyConfused Curly Posts: 229Registered Users
    Don't get too excited! The US version will only have an SPF of 15 which means my business will remain with Canada and/or Mexico.

http://www.anthelios.com/

My sources tell me that the best one is Anthelios XL which is sold in Europe and has both Mexoryl XL and Mexoryl SX as active ingredients. The one I bought in Canada is Anthelios L which only has Mexoryl SX. That is also the one I have seen in Mexico. However, I am not complaining. It's still better than anything I can get locally or will be getting locally anytime soon.
    Do you know why they call it "PMS"? Because "Mad Cow Disease" was taken.
    --Unknown, presumed deceased
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    Now that the ingredient is approved for use in the US, there will be surely more products that use it.
  • ariesxtremeariesxtreme Posts: 123Registered Users
    When it comes to sunscreen I only go European and or Japanese, American sunscreens don't compare at all when it comes to sun protection not just with SPF, but also with their PPD ratings which are quite pathetic as some are only like 5-8, European ones have PPD ratings of 28 or so.
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Confused Curly - I have been waiting for this to come out. I didn't realize that the US was only getting SPF 15 though. Is it greasy?

I just really looked at your link and it says it is a moisturizing cream with sunscreen so that makes me doubly curious about the greasy factor.

You didn't get this off of the net I take it. I'm very close to Mexico but I don't want to make a trip just for that.

Thanks
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    BUMP
  • happy-girlhappy-girl Posts: 208Registered Users
    I just really looked at your link and it says it is a moisturizing cream with sunscreen so that makes me doubly curious about the greasy factor.

I was told it was "non-greasy" but also it is not oil-free. I'm guessing it will feel a little greasy. Just guessing though.
    Mid-back length 3a, red.
    Currently using: Joico, Redken, LA Looks Curl Look gel, BRHG.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file