CurlTalk

How to get shiny hair

I think I am a 3b or 3c. I have never had shiny hair. I don't have trouble with frizzy. My hair always looks dull...soft but dull. Can anyone help me with a product that might help?

Comments

• OperaCurlsOperaCurls Posts: 1,101Registered Users
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fopera-curls%2F" class="Popup (I cut my own hair)
    Pacific Northwest girl, color-treated fine 3B, med-low porosity

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!
  • LilyWavesLilyWaves Posts: 224Registered Users
    Of all the (possibly hundreds) products I've used, L'Oreal Out of Bed texturizer followed by Suave #8 gel give me the shiniest and clumpiest curls...which is great because they're also two of the cheapest products I own.
    2b
    conditioner - AOHR
    shampoo - Beauty Without Cruelty Rosemary Mint Tea Tree
    styling products - KCCC, BRHG, Boots Curl Creme, Re:coil
  • wookiemousewookiemouse Posts: 295Registered Users
    This may be too basic, but it's made a huge difference in my hair - I rinse out my conditioner in cold water. Not a lot of fun, but my hair has had amazing shine ever since I've started doing it.

Stacy
    3a/some b, med/high porosity, med texture

My current HGs:
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut, VO5 Strawberries & Cream
    Conditioner: Deva OneC
    Leave-in: Shea M, Deva B'Leave In
    Cremes: CIAB, pink Boots
    Gels: BRHG

CG since 2/07 and loving it!
  • likethegumlikethegum Posts: 494Registered Users
    I second the cold water technique, and I also find that flax seed gel gives fabulous shine! Also, if you think you could have build up, that can cause dullness
    3b/3a - CG since 04-30-2009
    fine texture, med porosity
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Co-wash:
    GTTT, Live Clean, EO Sweet Orange
    Condish: Calia, AO Rosa Mosqueta/White Camellia/Honeysuckle Rose/Island Naturals/GPB, ABBA Pure Gentle, Desert Essence Shea Butter
    DT: Usually just use one of my richer conditioners, sometimes add oils or honey
    Gels: Homemade FSG!!!, Druide, BRHG, Alba Soft Hold Style Cream,
    AOMM

experimenting with: honey, agave, oils, butters, ACV, Curls Milkshake, more conditioners

• Lil'curlsLil'curls Posts: 275Registered Users
    Apple cider vinegar rinses have really made my hair shine.
    Teenage curly with 3a-3b course curls
    Shampoo: DCLP
    Rinse Out: GVP conditioning balm in winter. Devacurl One Condition in Summer
    Co Wash: Suave
    Styler: LA Looks Curl Gel
    Leave in: Devacurl One Condition

event.png

• oddityofwingsoddityofwings Posts: 1,261Registered Users
    I third rinsing with cold water (as cold as you can stand). I have also found that my hair is silly shiny now that I'm toying with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] as products (it may not be so much them making my hair shiny, though, as my other products were making my hair dull).
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

Favourites:love5::
    CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

American literature PhD student in the UK... :study:
  • curlprocurlpro Posts: 332Registered Users
    Keep in mind that what you eat has everything to do with the health of your hair. If you don't have a good diet rich with good fats your hair will be dull. So if you try everything else and it doesn't work, increase your omega 3 fatty acids and add some evoo to your diet a couple tablespoons a day will do it. I use it in my salad dressing at lunch and dinner with organic apple cider vinegar.
    If you have hair that is flat, which you can see under the microscope (my sister has flat hair) it can only reflect light from one side at a time, versus round or oval hair strands that reflect more light, and you will just have to use a product that increases shine. Good Luck,
    Cynthia
  • onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    I think the cold water rinses have upped the shine in my hair, which is really phenomenal considering my hair doesn't shine, no matter how healthy and soft.

Today I have some remarkably shiny hair (again, relative to no shine) with some Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Jelly on top of a leave in. I don't need much in the way of hold on a typical day, so the AOMM is enough for me (it's not enough for a lot of people though, hold-wise).

Drinking lots of water will help too, not to mention clear up/brighten your skin (if that's a problem) and flush your body from the inside (gross, but good for you).
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,366Registered Users
    What is the Sauve #8 gel?
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• skinchskinch Posts: 2Registered Users
    I appreciate everyone taking the time to answer my question. Your advise worked. I have one other question. How do you maintain shiny hair if you flat iron?
  • *Angela**Angela* Posts: 251Registered Users
    susancnw wrote: »
    What is the Sauve #8 gel?

This is the Suave 8 gel.
    3b. Normal porosity. Medium texture. Low elasticity.

CONDITIONERS: GVP The Detangler, Tresemme Naturals Nourishing, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta, Suave Pomegranate Splash, KC Knot Today

LEAVE-IN: Shea Moisture Shea Butter (LOVE!)

STYLERS: CJ Curl Queen (LOVE!), Biotera Gel, LA Looks Sports Gel, AOMM
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users
    I second rinsing in cold water, eating a well-balanced diet with plenty of good fats, and treating your hair well with good, natural products like FSG, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], AOMM, etc.

Another thing to try is henna and/or cassia treatments to strengthen your hair and get it good and shiny and less porous. If you want no color at all, just the conditioning benefits, go with just plain cassia. If you want color, try henna alone or in combo with cassia, indigo, buxus, amla to come up with a color that works for you - see www.hennaforhair.com and its link to the mehandi store for examples, recipes, photos.

I started with a henna/indigo/amla mix with dye released and applied full-strength for 3-4 hours. Now I'm just doing weak henna/indigo glosses that don't offer the same conditioning/strengthening benefits, so I have just done my first plain cassia treatment myself to maintain the benefits I used to get.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    Add tiny dabs of honey into your leave-ins/stylers. TINY AMOUNTS! Does the job, IMO.
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    likethegum wrote: »
    I second the cold water technique, and I also find that flax seed gel gives fabulous shine! Also, if you think you could have build up, that can cause dullness
    +1
    Lil'curls wrote: »
    Apple cider vinegar rinses have really made my hair shine.
    +1
    skinch wrote: »
    I appreciate everyone taking the time to answer my question. Your advise worked. I have one other question. How do you maintain shiny hair if you flat iron?
    You stop!!:angryfire:
    Add tiny dabs of honey into your leave-ins/stylers. TINY AMOUNTS! Does the job, IMO.
    +1
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
    :laughing3: Amen about flat ironing!

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users
    Add my vote for henna. My hair even when gloriously healthy is not shiny, by its nature, but after henna I actually had someone comment on how shiny it was!

auntnett wrote: »
    I second rinsing in cold water, eating a well-balanced diet with plenty of good fats, and treating your hair well with good, natural products like FSG, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], AOMM, etc.

Another thing to try is henna and/or cassia treatments to strengthen your hair and get it good and shiny and less porous. If you want no color at all, just the conditioning benefits, go with just plain cassia. If you want color, try henna alone or in combo with cassia, indigo, buxus, amla to come up with a color that works for you - see www.hennaforhair.com and its link to the mehandi store for examples, recipes, photos.

I started with a henna/indigo/amla mix with dye released and applied full-strength for 3-4 hours. Now I'm just doing weak henna/indigo glosses that don't offer the same conditioning/strengthening benefits, so I have just done my first plain cassia treatment myself to maintain the benefits I used to get.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users
    Nobody is more surprised than I to discover than Joico JoiWhip not only gives me great curls but also noticeable shine. I am bewildered, believe me, but also happy!
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fjillipoo.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • abyzcabyzc Posts: 74Registered Users
    My hair is 3a/3b and it's been looking a lot shinier since I started using a natural conditioner I got at the grocery store called Jason Natural Apricot & Keratin Super Shine Conditioner. Or something like that-I don't remember the name exactly but this is it:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cozycot.com%2Ffiles%2Fjason_natural_apricot_keratin_hair_conditioner.jpg" class="Popup

Also, rinse out with the coldest water you can handle. Another thing that made my hair shinier than usual was Neutrogena Triple Moisture serum. It could get greasy if you use too much. I loved it, but it spilled all over a shelf in a cabinet in my washroom :(
    3B, dense, and dry
    I'm trying to grow my hair to bra strap length!
    Word of warning to those avoiding 'cones, the Neutrogena Triple Moisture serum is definitely not CG, nor is the mask:

Cyclopentasiloxane, Hexamethyldisiloxane, Dimethiconol, Cyclohexasiloxane, Phenyltrimethicone, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Aminopropyl Dimethicone, Olive Fruit Oil (olea europaea), Meadowfoam Seed Oil (limnanthes alba), Sweet Almond Oil (prunus amygdalus dulcis), BHT, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Fragrance

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users
    I second, or what the number is, cold water rinsing. After I'm done in the shower I switch it too all the way cold and rinse for a minute. ACV rinses work well too. Honeygar rinses are even better!
    My hair was dull before CG, but now I really don't have to do much, it is just shiny.
    Jillipoo, I noticed that the Joico Joiwhip gave me more shine than usual. I wonder what is in it that does that?
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
  • curlygirl1012curlygirl1012 Posts: 72Registered Users
    I agree with everybody.

Also...CK and Robert Craig makes my hair shiny. I use the clear and I also color to make my hair darker about 6 weeks.
    MM Shampoo and MM Condish(mixed with honey), Bed Head Ego Boost leave-in, CK, Re:coil......Loving it :blob7:
  • aeroheadaerohead Posts: 179Registered Users
    Honeygar rinses are even better!

Daft questions, but what is honeygar rinses and how do you do it??
    :happy2:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thick, 2C with little 3A's thrown in to make my hair look a little more wild.FIA:2c/3a-M
    Last Haircut:17/1/07
    Ultimate Goal: To go as long as possible
    Products Used:coconut cowash, tescos own gel citrus spice whipped butter
    Hair Length:BSL
    NEW PHOTOS ADDED: 20th August'09
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Faerohead%2F" class="Popup
    Honey and vinegar rinses. My hair doesn't particularly care for honey, so I don't do them, but I think the ones who do use a tablespoon each in 1-2 cups of warm water. I use just the vinegar in a cup of warm water occasionally.

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users
    auntnett wrote: »
    Honey and vinegar rinses. My hair doesn't particularly care for honey, so I don't do them, but I think the ones who do use a tablespoon each in 1-2 cups of warm water. I use just the vinegar in a cup of warm water occasionally.

I think it varies as to how much honey we use as to how long and dense our hair is. I, personally, use 2 tablespoons of honey, 4 tablespoons of ACV in two cups of water. I messed with the amounts until I found one I liked best.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer