What motivates you to exercise?

Curls&WavesCurls&Waves Posts: 46Registered Users
Hi,

I am so glad I found this thread. :D I have not worked out in a long time (and even then it was very little) and decided that from today onwards in the morning I would start. I thought enough is enough is enough. I worked out before but I am very bad with consistency. I know the exercises and nutrition but I have problems staying motivated. For me, mornings are the best although it is hard to drag your butt out of bed especially in the winter time when your bed is nice and warm. However, I feel good when I get that done and it gives me energy to do other things and makes you feel like you are ready to take on challenges throughout the day.

So I thought I would start a thread on what motivates people to stick to their exercise regiment and tricks you use to coax yourself.

Comments

• ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Two things motivate me. I can eat more if I work out and my husband and I made a deal that neither of us would get fat, (barring medical issues over which we have no control).
  • beauticurlbeauticurl Posts: 89Registered Users
    The main things that motivate me are...
    1) The changes I see in my body. I've lost about 75 pounds since high school, and I am finally feeling at home in my own skin. It's an awesome feeling!
    2) I feel better when I get my activity done. I have made a habit out of going in the mornings, before classes and work get started, and it really helps me mentally to face the rest of the day when I know I have already been victorious by getting a workout in.
    3) I can eat more when I work out! :oops: :lol:

I get the consistency thing. That's ALWAYS a struggle for me. I've been going strong on my plan for several months now, and it has come down to just getting out of bed and doing it. Every morning when my alarm goes off, I don't even think about it--I just get dressed, get my keys, and go. That way, by the time I fully wake up and start thinking about how I want to still be asleep I'm already at the gym!
    Willpower will only last you so long. For me, it came down to changing my thinking and making this a decision, a contract with myself. I am worth the work it takes to be healthy. And yeah, looking good sure helps :D
  • ladypladyp Posts: 40Registered Users
    my motivation is that 1) I want to fit into my old clothes cause I don't have money to buy new ones.
    2) I have a fear of getting fat. THat right there is tons of motvation.
  • SmallFrySmallFry Posts: 614Registered Users
    My motivation is
    -that high I get after I'm done at the gym
    -I have a fear of looking like a roly poly (i'm only 5'0 with a small frame)
    -Other people who workout and like talking about it on the internet like
    here and on oxygenmag.com, shape.com, maybe a few others
    -the music on my IPOD
    -spin class (its hard but at the end, I feel like I've conquered the world)
    -buying workout clothes/shoes and actually wearing it to the gym
    -a bikini I just bought (it fits and all but there's always room for
    improvement right?)
    -and its silly but I have a workout dvd (Great Body Guaranteed by Beach
    Body,and their motto is "You're closer than you think" they say it a
    million times thru out the dvd
    Lotsa 3c curls
    Curly Journey Album
    Updated 2009 and 2010 pics
    Hair Journal/Products

It's not about having what you want, it's about Wanting what you have
  • nepanthenepanthe Posts: 292Registered Users
    Fear of getting fat

I can eat more.

My muscles ache if don't get a good workout.

Of course--Miss Janet Jackson---She looks good for 40.
  • SlainSoulSlainSoul Posts: 12Registered Users
    I look in the mirror everyday, I work out almost every day. Check out sparkpeople.com, very good health community site. Lot's of gold information a person who does not want thunder thighs is sure to love. I have been on that site for months now, and I have lost almost 20 lbs. They have a meal planner and all kinds of special features.

If they ask how you found out about the site, type SlainSoul. You will love it.

SPARKPEOPLE.COM
    -Slain
    slain adj : killed; `slain' is formal or literary as in "slain warriors"; n : people who have been slain (as in battle)
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Spinning and swimming!

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • Aries_jbAries_jb Posts: 1,556Registered Users
    There are so many things that motivate me to work out!

1. The changes in my body. Even if I don't lose fat, my body will get firmer and more shapely when I regularly exercise.

2. My clothes look better. I love the fact that I can pick something out of my closet and not worry about whether or not it will fit me, because I know it will.

3. Stress relief. If I don't work out, my stress level rises and I feel WAY on edge, which I hate. Working out mellows me out.

4. My mood. I'm prone to bouts of, well, depression, I suppose. I hesitate to call it that because I think it takes away from those who suffer from clinical depression. However, sometimes, I feel really down and I have no motivation for anything. When I get like this, I know that if I can get myself to work out, that will be one thing I accomplished that day, and I feel better.

5. The compliments! When you work out, people take notice. My bf's family always compliments me on how I look. It feels good to put on jeans and a tank top and still have people go "Wow! You look great!". I also love that my bf notices that changes in my body also and tells me that I look good. When I see him for the first time that day, I know that he is checking me out and liking what he sees, which makes me feel great.
    www.myspace.com/littlemonkey0403
    3B that is no longer CG, but still endeavors to have healthy hair by not using sulfates.
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    A few things are keeping me motivated ....

1 - I love the feeling of a strong, healthy body
    2 - I hate dieting and want to be able to eat what I want and stay at my goal weight
    3 - Vanity and looking sexaaaay in my clothes (and without them hehe). :lol:
    4 - It controls my anxiety problems without medication.
    5 - I love the sense of accomplishment I get from taking the time out of the day to do something just for me. I might not feel like getting to the studio, but I always feel awesome afterwards.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    - A strong, healthy and sexy body.
    - If I don't go I lose weight very quickly (not a good look on me).
    - I look around me at the people in the town where I live and don't want to end up like any of them now or in the future.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • JessicurlJessicurl Posts: 401Registered Users
    My mom had a heart attack in March and my dad had his third in May. I've been working out 6 days a week since then. :) Funny how that works. :)

I was a personal trainer before starting my business, so I used to work out a lot. The past few years I'd really slacked off though, since my life is so busy now. But having the parents have heart attacks so close together like that has really motivated me this time.
    If you're not going to make your dreams epic, why bother to dream anything at all? -Scott Miller
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    SlainSoul, sparklepeople interests me. If I sign up is it really free as they say? I see I can choose or not choose to get daily e-mails. Are there any catches that I didn't see.

BTW - your login name is interesting. Is there a story behind it?

ETA: I didn't see your sig line, but I'm still interested in why you choose that name if you don't mind sharing.
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    1. my idol
    2. it makes you look fit & feel better about yourself
    3. it's healthy
    3b-3c CG
  • CurlilocsCurlilocs Posts: 821Registered Users
    Well the number one reason would be how I look and feel but aside from that my grandmother is type 2 diabetic, my Mom has high blood pressure, and her blood sugar levels have been elevated, as well as her cholesterol. I've even had high cholesterol, but exercise brought it down. I'm in it for the long haul, only this time I'm determined to have the body that goes along with it! :wink:
    Free your Mind and your Hair will Follow :)
    Curli's pics
    album pw: bangz
  • Kgrl17Kgrl17 Posts: 137Registered Users
    It's a stress reliever! I honestly have 5-6 hours of homework/studying a night and about 15 hours on weekends (there were even a couple where I counted up to 23 hours of hw!) and I get up around 5 am and go to bed anywhere from 11-1 am. So taking a one hour break everyday to exercise and clear my mind is great. It keeps me in shape and I can focus easier when I'm done
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The best motivators for me have been:

1) During a transitional period in my life, living in an apartment that I could not stand, with a really ill-designed, poorly kept, not-very-clean bathroom. I couldn't wait to go to the yoga studio and use their nice clean shower!

2) Taking an assignment for work that required that I bike about 15 miles to get to and from the office. [This is my current situation.]

I realize these are unusual circumstances, but they truly have worked the best for me as far as getting me to do the work.

Typically, I just try to keep it extremely accessible and build it into my schedule as much as possible. The other thing that has helped is finding a form of exercise that is fulfilling emotionally and spiritually, not just physically. So this would include: anything outdoors and yoga.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file