chlorine and low poo

wavyredwavyred Posts: 2Registered Users
Hey guys, this is my first post here. I just wanted to say first, this site is awesome! Finally, people who understand curly hair!

I’ve tried to look around on here to answer all of my questions, but I think I have one that has not been discussed. My hair used to be really curly, but about two years ago it became wavy and limp. I started going the CG method about 5 weeks ago. For awhile it seemed like my hair was getting curlier, but about a week ago it became limp and super frizzy. I’m going to try some of the methods I’ve found on here, such as switching conditioners, doing an ACV wash. However, I am about to start swimming every day again, and I just realized that this could make all of my CG efforts (and especially my current frustrations) useless -- I will have to use a real shampoo to get the chlorine out of my hair, won’t I? Right now I am using Deva lo-poo. Will this work?

Comments

• Future WaveFuture Wave Posts: 154Registered Users
    I swim nearly every day. :hello2:

One thing that I've found really helps is to wear a swim cap, and make sure as much hair as possible is tucked up inside it. Even though they're not water tight, it still keeps my hair from being constantly bathed in chlorinated water, so I haven't had any chlorine buildup since I started using swim caps, and haven't had to use any kind of chlorine removing shampoo since I started using a swim cap.

I know that a lot of curly girls don't co-wash every day, but I do. My stylist told me that I could just rinse my hair really well after swimming to make sure any chlorine that had seeped up under the cap was rinsed out, but for some reason my scalp/hair is just happier being co-washed every day. But then pre-CG I was always a daily shampoo-er, so this is significantly better.

IF you get chlorine buildup for some reason, there's a recipe someplace on the boards for removing chlorine - You can do a search for the recipe, but the basic gist is an egg, 1/2 of a cucumber, and 1 tbsp oil whirled up in a blender, and leave it on your hair for 10 minutes. The enzymes in the cucumber are supposed to break down the chlorine bond so it can be rinsed away.
    co-wash - Suave Naturals Coconut
    condish - Trader Joe's TTT and Refresh
    styling - FOTE, shea butter, jojoba oil, LA Looks

Kryptonite: Stearalkonium Chloride, quats
  • kellygreen49kellygreen49 Posts: 625Registered Users
    This is what I just recently did before I went swimming:

They say to drench your hair with water before you go swimming. Your hair is like a sponge, so if it soaks up the regular water, there's less "room" for the chlorine water. However, I was too lazy to do so (and too excited to get into the pool :happy3:.) Instead, I took about a quarter sized amount of conditioner for my short hair and worked it into the length. If you have longer hair I'd use three-four times that amount. Your hair will feel slick in the pool and nice because of the conditioner, so that's a bonus. Then after I got out of the pool, the conditioner seemed to have "rinsed out". I added another quarter sized amount in after I got out. My hair was bouncy and curly afterwards (then again, my hair was happy from the soft city water I was using that week.)

That night, I added more condish as a deep treatment and put my hair up in a bun while I slept. When I woke up I cleansed with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Hair-Cleansing-Cream-p-103.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-hair-cleansing-cream]Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream[/buylink], and used my regular amount of conditioner- no damage!

This SOUNDS like a lot of work, but it's basically just squeezing a boatload of condish in your hair every once and awhile. Take your bottle down to the pool if you'd like. Don't worry about your hair getting weighed down from the condish, everyone will just think your hair is still wet. Mine personally didn't get weighed down since I didn't go near the crown.
    3A~fine texture
    Cleanser: GiovanniTTTT, Deva Low Poo
    Condish: Deva One C, GiovanniTTTT, GVP Balm
    Styler: Deva ArcANGELL, HESMU, AG Mousse Gel
    Want to try: CJ Gellie, Hand Dry Hair Glove, BRHG
    I <3 second day hair :iconbiggrin:
    Call me a Curltalk Otaku. ~MirCurls
    http://public.fotki.com/kellygreen49/
    PW curlyhair
    Image301-1.jpg curls1-1.jpg
  • wowohwowwowohwow Posts: 449Registered Users Curl Novice
    Uhh sorry to guano this thread, but kellygreen49, your hair is abso-freaking-lutely GORGEOUS!! :love5:
    3a/C/iii; mod-CG since 07/14/08 :love2:
    Shampoo: Whole Foods 365 Citrus Grapefruit shampoo (same results as Deva Low Poo but a tenth of the price!)
    Condish: Deva One Condition
    Styling: Deva AnGel, then SOTC with no Frizz creme
    Hairtwins! Ab-star, Ledzeppole, Shellynot, soficurls and tarc817

• kellygreen49kellygreen49 Posts: 625Registered Users
    wowohwow wrote: »
    Uhh sorry to guano this thread, but kellygreen49, your hair is abso-freaking-lutely GORGEOUS!! :love5:

Thank you very much! ^^
    Oh my goodness, this thread is pretty old!
    3A~fine texture
    Cleanser: GiovanniTTTT, Deva Low Poo
    Condish: Deva One C, GiovanniTTTT, GVP Balm
    Styler: Deva ArcANGELL, HESMU, AG Mousse Gel
    Want to try: CJ Gellie, Hand Dry Hair Glove, BRHG
    I <3 second day hair :iconbiggrin:
    Call me a Curltalk Otaku. ~MirCurls
    http://public.fotki.com/kellygreen49/
    PW curlyhair
    Image301-1.jpg curls1-1.jpg
  • wowohwowwowohwow Posts: 449Registered Users Curl Novice
    I knowww! I was just looking for chlorine tips :) I hateee how my hair feels when I get out of the water..like hay! :(
    3a/C/iii; mod-CG since 07/14/08 :love2:
    Shampoo: Whole Foods 365 Citrus Grapefruit shampoo (same results as Deva Low Poo but a tenth of the price!)
    Condish: Deva One Condition
    Styling: Deva AnGel, then SOTC with no Frizz creme
    Hairtwins! Ab-star, Ledzeppole, Shellynot, soficurls and tarc817

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file