A few follow-up CG questions!

CrystalRainCrystalRain Posts: 170Registered Users
I've been CG for four weeks and am loving it! :love10: However, I'm worrying that I may be doing a few things incorrectly. I've followed the guides and everything.

1. About co/water-washing: I just discovered you're supposed to scrub for 2-3 minutes (I was doing it for about twenty seconds). My question is, do I scrub for 3 minutes on my scalp, add the second puddle on the length of my hair, and then wash it out? Or do I scrub after putting in both?

2. I love HESMU gel, but I find it retains moisture really well, meaning it takes my hair longer to dry. My main problem is, I need to know if I'm using too much or too little of it. My hair is thick and slightly longer than shoulder length, and I use a blob bigger than a quarter.

3. After cowashing/water-washing, is it okay to just put in my second conditioner as a leave-in and not wash it out? Or should I put some in, wash it out, and then use some more as a leave-in?
Thick, mostly 2c with some 3a; fine texture, medium/high porosity, and a very strange curl & wave pattern.

Started CG (properly) as of 6/31/2009.

Cowash | Suave Naturals Ocean Breeze or Juicy Green Apple
Rinse-out | Burt's Bees Super Shiny
Leave-in | Live Clean Intense Moisturizing
Gel | HESMU

Right now: growing hair past shoulder-length, looking to take decent hair picture (my avatar is my first day of CG).

Comments

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    1. Co-washing is solely on the scalp, so you should be scrubbing your scalp for a while. The friction helps with cleansing (which I suspect you already know). I don't do anything to the rest of my hair while I'm co-washing.

2. Do you diffuse? Plop? If so, try doing those for a little longer. If not, try applying to hair that's less wet than what you normally do. You do still want enough water so that it makes "squishy" sounds when you apply, but that may help with drying time.

3. In Tiffany's book, she advises against this because you are cleaning your hair when you add that rinse-out conditioner. So if you don't rinse it out, you're not rinsing out the dirt and stuff that you probably don't want in there. Whether you rinse it out or not, it's totally up to you. I use two different conditioners for my rinse-out and leave-in, so I do rinse out completely.

I hope this helped!
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • CrystalRainCrystalRain Posts: 170Registered Users
    Ohhhh, okay. That makes more sense. I'll try rinsing out and then adding a little extra for the leave-in because my hair really loves Burt's Bees. (How long should I leave it in before rinsing it out, or does that not matter?)

Also, I can't plop for much more than five minutes without my hair getting messed up and tangled (a problem I find a lot of people share on the 2 boards of this site). However I'll probably need to diffuse all the way from now on, because during the school year I shower at night and wash my hair with a bath shower-head in the morning, so I'll stop adding my gel when my hair's really wet and see how it works. Thanks for your advice. :D
    Thick, mostly 2c with some 3a; fine texture, medium/high porosity, and a very strange curl & wave pattern.

Gel | HESMU

Right now: growing hair past shoulder-length, looking to take decent hair picture (my avatar is my first day of CG).
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    It doesn't really matter how long you leave it in, but the longer you do, the more moisture it gets. I put mine in and then do all the other things I need to do before rinsing it out at the end of my shower.

I'm pretty dependent on a diffuser to begin with, but I really need it when I wash at night. It only takes like twenty minutes to get most of it dry.

Good luck!
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • CrystalRainCrystalRain Posts: 170Registered Users
    Thank you! I'll adjust my routine accordingly. I hate blow-drying, but diffusing on the lowest setting for 30-40 minutes usually does the trick.

Gel | HESMU

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file