What's The Craziest Comment Someone Has Made About You Being A Natural?

jesimon003jesimon003 Posts: 41Registered Users
So I Did A Wash And Go Which Turned Out Great. A Co-worker Told Me That I Need To Go Back To Relaxing My Hair Because When It Was Straight It Looked Half Decent! My Comment Back To Her May Not Be Appropriate For This Site So I Won't Disclose It! Lol

WHAT'S YOUR STORY?

Shampoo: giovanni clarifying/ aohsr/ng
Conditoner: giovanni calming/aohsr/ng/ yes to cucumber
Stylers: kcc, ao b5 gel
Moisturizer: cm/ kc pomade/ jc n&s
Sealer: jojoba oil

* LEARNING TO LOVE WHAT THE GOOD LORD GAVE ME*

Comments

• multiracialcurls89multiracialcurls89 Posts: 204Registered Users
    haha my favorite one was when I wore my hair natural (once i had cut out my relaxed ends) on the first day of school from my previous straight relaxed style someone told me, "Girl! You need to put a relaxer back in dat hair - take them naps and kinks right out" I replied "Well I like my kinks and naps." she replied "Well your the only one" :) I just smiled and walked away
    <A href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"; target=_blank>

event.png
    Napptural Anniversary 6/27/08
    3c/3b
    Hair Loves: EcoStyler Olive Oil Gel, Protein Conditioners
    Hair Hates: Sulfates, Daily Hair Drenchings with Water, Gels with alot heavy PVP's
  • OnyxCabeloOnyxCabelo Posts: 1,767Registered Users
    Geez! Fortunately folks around here aren't so rude! I really haven't had any crazy comments yet - but that might change when my hair gets longer and wilder, LOL:dontknow:.
    Currently:Alaffia Shea & Coconut Enriching Shampoo, Alaffia Virgin Coconut & Shea Enriching Hair Lotion, Qhemet Amla Olive Heavy Cream, Qhemet Honeybush Tea Gel.

Last Texturizer: March 12, 2008
    BC: July 21, 2008
    Hair: Coarse, low porosity, iii.

Certified Denirophile:love5:

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different outcome". ~ Albert Einstein
  • destinych3destinych3 Posts: 291Registered Users
    The worst I got was that I looked more "presentable" with relaxed hair. No matter how cute and and healthy my hair was in a wash-n-go, pony-puff, shingled, twisted or whatever, I was always looking unkempt to this particular person...I'm proud to say they've since gotten over it lol
    Avi pic: Damp,freshly washed/ DC'd hair
    3c/4a:glasses8:

:alien:APL and beyond:alien:
    http://public.fotki.com/destinych3:hello1:
    Updated 102209
  • TorimomTorimom Posts: 258Registered Users
    Going from my previously shoulder length relaxed hair to natural got me much more attention that I expected. From a girl at work, " ARE YOU CRAZY!", from my mother-in-law, "What happened to your hair?". Lucky for me I love it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All Natural Since July 2009
    Avatar Pic: HESMU gel over Tresemme Naturals as leave-in 7/25/10. I hadn't had time to SOTC but it got nice and full later (no pic:sad10:)
    Last Relaxer: February 2008
    Type: 4a canopy, 3c mid, 3b nape, semi porous, ii
    Current Favorite: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Trying: Castor Oil
  • Alice_42 Alice_42 Posts: 791Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    While it wasn't a verbal comment, my aunt looked like she'd seen the ghost of Christmas past having a tea party with the four horsemen when I walked through the door for Christmas dinner. She LITERALLY had to shake herself out of it.
    event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
    Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
    Blog: Alice in Nappyland
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    jesimon003 wrote: »
    So I Did A Wash And Go Which Turned Out Great. A Co-worker Told Me That I Need To Go Back To Relaxing My Hair Because When It Was Straight It Looked Half Decent! My Comment Back To Her May Not Be Appropriate For This Site So I Won't Disclose It! Lol

WHAT'S YOUR STORY?

I was sitting on the bus and this group of (relaxed) girls were sitting behind me. I could hear them talking about me and laughing. I halfway turned around and I saw this girl waving her hands like a magician saying "She needs a miracle...a Dr. Miracle!" Then as I was getting off she said "Goodbye curly girl!"

Then I was riding shotgun with my mother behind the wheel. This man signaled her as if he was asking for directions. She rolled down my window and he yelled at me "You look like chewbacca!"

Both times I was wearing my hair in a puff. I didn't get offended either time. Ignorance is amusing to me.
  • jesimon003jesimon003 Posts: 41Registered Users
    Lol! Thx Ladies For Your Comments!

• ricanbabii123ricanbabii123 Posts: 9Registered Users
    I usually don't get a lot of verbal abuses about my hair but once I was in school and I go to a predominately white school a guy said to me at least i don't have an afro. I laughed and sad Well that's because I'm african your Italian and you would look silly with an afro. He just got really quiet and turned around. I was slightly offended though because my hair isn't anywhere close to an afro and it was just pretty frizzy that day and he knew that.
  • CarameliciousCaramelicious Posts: 65Registered Users
    Someone asked me whether I had a perm:sad5:.
    I was feeling flattered and offended ath the same time.

xoxox

• april-epiphanyapril-epiphany Posts: 345Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    a lady driving the shuttle i ride to work asked me how i got my hair that way and i told her cut of your relaxed hair and let it grow out and she was like and then texturize it i was like no she said what then twist it? then there was another time a woman on the trolly asked me about how i got my hair to look like that because her daughter had hair like mine. i think some people don't know how to compliment without feeling the need to insult you in the same breath
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hope the exit is joyful and I hope never to return-Frida Kahlo
  • TrulyTruly Posts: 70Registered Users
    The weirdest thing to me was from a white lady at work. She liked my hair and was like, "How did you get it like that?". I said it was just styling lotion and not combing it while it's dry. She repeatedly INSISTED that there must be SOMETHING I do to it. I said this is just how it grows out of my head, and I pointed to my roots and that shut her up.

It's ironic that I grew my hair out because I'm too lazy to keep up with perms and flat irons, but people have a hard time believing that my morning routine consists of dousing my hair with water, putting in styling lotion, and standing in front of a fan to speed along the drying process! Natural styles are seen as more difficult to maintain then they are because they take a long time to grow out and get the hang of, but it's well worth it.
  • TorimomTorimom Posts: 258Registered Users
    That's the reaction I got from some people at work too. I am also a lazy person. After I had my daughter I was too cheap and lazy to relax so I just washed it and put it in a pony. I noticed after a few months the roots were bumpy and DD has curly hair so I just went with it and finally got the BC.
    I can still be a bit lazy but I love it so much I spend more time on it than I used to.
    The weirdest thing is when I got the BC the hairdresser wanted to put a texturizer in it and I told her no, leave it as is. She sprayed it with some stuff and oiled it and kept picking and picking at it. On the way home I had to stop at Target and get a hairband because she'd teased it into a 'fro. That's probably why I got so many strange looks the first day. The next day I wet it and used the techniques I learned from you great ladies and never looked back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All Natural Since July 2009
    Avatar Pic: HESMU gel over Tresemme Naturals as leave-in 7/25/10. I hadn't had time to SOTC but it got nice and full later (no pic:sad10:)
    Last Relaxer: February 2008
    Type: 4a canopy, 3c mid, 3b nape, semi porous, ii
    Current Favorite: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Trying: Castor Oil
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    a lady driving the shuttle i ride to work asked me how i got my hair that way and i told her cut of your relaxed hair and let it grow out and she was like and then texturize it i was like no she said what then twist it? then there was another time a woman on the trolly asked me about how i got my hair to look like that because her daughter had hair like mine. i think some people don't know how to compliment without feeling the need to insult you in the same breath

ITA. My mother is like that. Build you up and cut you down in the same breath.
  • KinkyPJKinkyPJ Posts: 297Registered Users
    This lady once said to me “I wish I had hair like yours, so when the wind blows it doesn’t move.” I took no notice of her b/c I truly think she meant it as a compliment. And my hair actually takes flight when there’s wind (not that it matters, lol).
    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it [:afro:]. The hard... is what makes it great. -- Tom Hanks in A League of Their Own

If you judge people, you have no time to love them. -- Mother Teresa
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For me some of the craziest comments are sort of compliments..it's mainly silly things like:
    "Guuuuuuurl.. you got that good hair" or "Don't think you cute cause you got all that good hur now!" or "I know you mixed cause you got good hair..what you mixed wit ?" (Now yeah, I am mixed but I know PLENTY of black people that are not mixed and have 3c hair type)

Or one of my favorites....when a woman (usually a black woman) and will whisper, "Gurl...what you got in your hair so I can get some.. you got some kind of curl perm or texturizer ? Is it some kind of wet set ?? Cause I know all that can't be just your natural hair!"

I think I know they mean well... but at the same time it does make me sort of disappointed because a lot of women of color have no idea WHAT kind of hair they may have without a relaxer and so many are afraid of a stigma (mostly from their very own community) about being "natural" if their hair happens to be kinky instead of curly that they refuse to even TRY to find out. So either they refer to people with my hair type as having "good hair" like if one doesn't have curls then it means it's bad hair. That, or some how I MUST think I am better than what I am just because my hair has very defined curls naturally.

I feel like big whoop so I got curly hair.. now if I looked like Halle Berry..THEN.. I might think I am CUTE... ROFL! :toothy8:
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • springyheadspringyhead Posts: 350Registered Users
    I first tried to go natural senior year of high school (I'm late twenties now). While transitioning, a white teacher of mine pulled me to the side and said that I couldn't go to the college I was going to with my hair "looking like that." I had to look "classy" because it was a "classy" college, and thus, needed to relax my hair again.
    4a, fine coils. low/med porosity. "It's springy. Like a slinky."--My Lil' Cousin

I use products on 90% dry hair.
    Wash: Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castille Soap.
    Conditioner: Tigi Bedhead Moisture Maniac/Suave Humectants
    Moisturizers: Long Aid
    Styler: Ecostyler Clear/ Vitamin E Oil
  • onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    "Has anyone ever told you you look like, oh what's her name...Raggedy Ann?"
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    Not 5 minutes after meeting a woman (in a professional setting), she plunged her hand into my hair and exclaimed "Oh! It's really your hair!"

I'm guessing she took this liberty because she is older than I am, and we were in a closed room, among other black people. I was in shock.
  • curliitommii curliitommii Posts: 139Registered Users
    I first tried to go natural senior year of high school (I'm late twenties now). While transitioning, a white teacher of mine pulled me to the side and said that I couldn't go to the college I was going to with my hair "looking like that." I had to look "classy" because it was a "classy" college, and thus, needed to relax my hair again.

:shock:...are you SERIOUS?! :angry7: what the hell is wrong with your teacher?? ignorance I tell you...

the craziest comment I received was from my sister who asked me if I was honoring michael jackson's death by wearing my hair in a jerry curl....but u know what was funny?? I bet money with my best friend that she was gonna say exactly that lmao!!
    I Bc'd!! --> July 1st, 2009 :wav:

event.png

http://public.fotki.com/ms-curls/
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users

WHAT'S YOUR STORY?

No crazy comments in the 7 years I have been natural.

Because I am curious, why do you type in Title Case? :happy3:
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • jesimon003jesimon003 Posts: 41Registered Users
    Windflower wrote: »

WHAT'S YOUR STORY?

JUST A HABIT. WHY DO YOU ASK?

• ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    Windflower wrote: »

WHAT'S YOUR STORY?

JUST A HABIT. WHY DO YOU ASK?

because i was curious...as i stated. :happy2:
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • p.s.p.s. Posts: 51Registered Users
    Truly wrote: »
    The weirdest thing to me was from a white lady at work. She liked my hair and was like, "How did you get it like that?". I said it was just styling lotion and not combing it while it's dry. She repeatedly INSISTED that there must be SOMETHING I do to it. I said this is just how it grows out of my head, and I pointed to my roots and that shut her up.

It's ironic that I grew my hair out because I'm too lazy to keep up with perms and flat irons, but people have a hard time believing that my morning routine consists of dousing my hair with water, putting in styling lotion, and standing in front of a fan to speed along the drying process! Natural styles are seen as more difficult to maintain then they are because they take a long time to grow out and get the hang of, but it's well worth it.

:sign5: !!!!!!!

I got the same kid of comment many times too...

Particularly this woman who works with me who absolutelly INSISTS in saying things like: "Oh there she comes with her curls, I wonder how many hours you spend every morning making each of those curls? I wish I had that kind of time", etc... :confused5:

I simply can´t get into her head that curls is what comes out of my head if I do NOTHING, so I gave up.

ticker.png

Hair Type:3b (I think); Very thick & Lots of it

Hair Loves: Gels
    Hair Hates: The Wind, My Hands, Leave-in Conditioner

I hate about my hair: Frizz, Fluff
    I love about my hair: Fat Curls, Shine

Product File: No Sulfates, No Cones
    Favourite Product Ever: Flaxseed Gel
  • true2metrue2me Posts: 2Registered Users
    I posted a cute photo of me on facebook with strictly curly hair...one dude commented "You are funny"...he thought I was trying to be funny by putting my natural hair pic up
  • mm2ndjmm2ndj Posts: 156Registered Users

WHAT'S YOUR STORY?

I was sitting on the bus and this group of (relaxed) girls were sitting behind me. I could hear them talking about me and laughing. I halfway turned around and I saw this girl waving her hands like a magician saying "She needs a miracle...a Dr. Miracle!" Then as I was getting off she said "Goodbye curly girl!"

Then I was riding shotgun with my mother behind the wheel. This man signaled her as if he was asking for directions. She rolled down my window and he yelled at me "You look like chewbacca!"

Both times I was wearing my hair in a puff. I didn't get offended either time. Ignorance is amusing to me.
    someone once did that to me when my mom was driving me and i was about 13.

he said "sheepdog". weird. he was a lot older.
    really strange to go so out of one's way to try to insult someone.

i think some men seem to be greatly upset by hair that isn't being made (what they are consider) "pretty".

i cannot believe how other women of color insult natural hair. i never considered my relaxed, straight hair to be mine really. even when i hadn't seen curly hair on myself for 15 years, i didn't consider the straight hair mine. so why would i defend it?

i have to be careful because i think i upset other wome of color when i get on my soap box about how we need to accept natural hair. i even go so far as to not really like role models wearing a lot extensions and the straight look only.

this probably makes me too p.c. or just too intense in my idealistic notions.
  • pizza144pizza144 Posts: 13Registered Users
    recently i decided to give the CG method a try. its only been a few days but i want to learn to love the curls that i have instead of pulling it back or straightening it all the time (i *never* wear it down). so i decided the first step would be to wear it down, which i did yesterday. i walk in the building and my friend starts laughing at me because of my hair.
    lots of fine 2b porous (i think) hair, CG 8/21/09
    Cowash: suave naturals coconut
    Rinse out: LVPNG, Giovanni Smooth as Silk
    Leave in: LVPNG, suave naturals
    Gel: LA Looks Sport, HESMU, HEBE
    DT: egg/mayo/olive oil, GVP conditioning balm
    Experimenting with: Ecostyler, Biotera, FSG, Nature's Gate
    i officially love my curls. :occasion7:
  • CurlyOMaleyCurlyOMaley Posts: 32Registered Users
    Well, I'm a senior in high school and the students here sometimes arent very mature lol. I remember I was at a football game and I walking down the bleachers and some random girl said to her friend," Im in love with her hair, it is so big and curly...and her friend said I do to but tht sh*t is nappy as H*ll. I knew they were refering to me when I looked around and noticed I was the only one with natural hair that is out of this world big lol. That comment really irritated me and I wanted to turn around and say," Yea it's nappy, and I love it. At least I'm not the one:evil4: with the wig that looks like its been sucked up in a vaccum." Good thing I didn't say that though haha
    ~formerly aunaturalcurlie~

http://www.fotki.com/CurlyOMaley

3B/3C/4A
  • afrodominican1afrodominican1 Posts: 650Registered Users
    you ladies are so hilarious!

My first Thanksgiving as a natural was so crazy because I was already nervous about all of my family seeing my hair and talking about it like it was something never seen on this side of the earth. Right before eating dinner eferyone gathered around the living room to join hands and pray. Right before my grandmother's brother says the prayer he looks around and says, "I'm happy that you all could make it here today safe and sound but I have a serious favor to ask. Any one of you have a brush that this girl can borrow?" I was hurt but kinda laughed it off in front of the family. His wife told him, Stop playin around and pray for the food now!"
    BC: 2/16/08
    Second BC: 12/22/10
    Dreads!!! 2/16/2014
    Third BC:3/22/16
    Goal Length: waist length

Princess Tiara, Guardian of the Crystal Heart of the Indigo Seas, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • curlyfriseecurlyfrisee Posts: 22Registered Users
    I came across a Caucasian co-worker crying in the bathroom. I asked what's wrong? She said "Look at my hair! I got a perm and now it looks like yours"
    3c/b
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I came across a Caucasian co-worker crying in the bathroom. I asked what's wrong? She said "Look at my hair! I got a perm and now it looks like yours"

:shock:

Some of these ignorant comments are really making me :cwm21: for ya'll. I can understand friends and family being comfortable enough with you to say something crazy but strangers?
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file