CurlTalk

Hair Like This

CurlyHeavenCurlyHeaven Posts: 2Registered Users
I was just wondering how I can get my hair like Naomi Allen (girl from electrik red) Or Jennifer Freeman? I think I have 3c curls. But it's hard to get them the way I want :neutral:.

Every night I oil my hair with cocnut oil and a mix of other oils. Then I braid my hair up into 8 sections four on each side and spray those braids with a mix of conditioner and water. I just wanna know how can I achieve this look without this huge process. It seems as if I can't get my hair to curl unless I go through this, or else parts come out curly and the rest of it is a big frizzy mess.

I wanna be able to just wash and go and get defined curls. I have tried this method but my hair comes out stringy!!!!:angry8:

Comments

  • OnyxCabeloOnyxCabelo Posts: 1,767Registered Users
    Have you tried shingling in your products? /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dg02R7n77kHQ" class="Popup

    I not suggesting you use Miss Jessie's, but just the process is nice. I using get really good definition doing this.

    This website is also very good and showing us how to style using just a thick conditioner - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tightlycurly.com%2FCurlyPrimer.aspx" class="Popup.

    Oils used along tend to make my hair frizz like crazy:neutral:. In fact, I usually have to clarify it out in order to get my curls back. I'm not sure why this happens, but it does. With shingling though, I've figured out a way to use coconut oil and EVOO (my two favorites) , and even though my hair still frizzes, I can just shingle in a good gel, and I get really nice curls.

    Plus, with the oil under the gel, I find it's easier to scrunch the crunch and get nice fluffy curls.

    HTH.
    Currently:Alaffia Shea & Coconut Enriching Shampoo, Alaffia Virgin Coconut & Shea Enriching Hair Lotion, Qhemet Amla Olive Heavy Cream, Qhemet Honeybush Tea Gel.

    Last Texturizer: March 12, 2008
    BC: July 21, 2008
    Hair: Coarse, low porosity, iii.

    Certified Denirophile:love5:

    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different outcome". ~ Albert Einstein
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    Yes try shingling your hair, and you also might want to reverse the order of the products you're using. Put in the water and conditioner first, then seal with oil (but not too much) on the ends only.

    I didn't have much luck with coconut oil either-- got the frizzies. I did better with 100% shea butter and Africa's Best oil.

    Good luck :occasion5:
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • CurlyHeavenCurlyHeaven Posts: 2Registered Users
    Well I'm trying to get the giovanni leave in conditioner this weekend. Thanks for the help. I really want to try the conditioner method, but my hair doesn't absorb water as well as the girl who was doing it. So I'm going to wait for it to grow and then try the conditioner method. Until then I will try the shingling method.
  • destinych3destinych3 Posts: 291Registered Users
    Shingling is a great method...I learned that I'd can achieve the same look just by smoothing conditioner through my wet hair. Saved me a lot of time.
    Avi pic: Damp,freshly washed/ DC'd hair
    3c/4a:glasses8:

    :alien:APL and beyond:alien:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fdestinych3" class="Popup:hello1:
    Updated 102209
  • JariJari Posts: 67Registered Users
    I apply curl activator Gel such as IC fantasia in sections and brush with my denman. My hair comes out well defined without the use of extra hair oil and butter.

    I usually get 3-4 day hair all I have to do is spritz my hair with water in the morning.

    I try to deep condition each time I co-wash. Im currently using the LA curl activator which has extra glycerin for moisture.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] currrently using:
    Leave in: GVP Leave-In Treatment: Compare to Sebastian Potion 9 from Sallys
    Style: Smooth n shine curl activator gel for extra dry hair.
    Shampoo 1x every other week with Biolage Ultra Hydrating. Condition wash every two days with Sallys Shea moisture condition or Aussie Moist conditioner.
  • morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    I have to second the use of the deman. It's the bomb for product distribution.
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,144Registered Users
    I guess it would help more seeing what your hair actually looks like because even with all the methods mentioned(which are great suggestions), you still may not be able to attain the style of the ladies you mentioned.
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs211.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fbb133%2Fshyygirl_2007%2F" class="Popup
    PW: curlyhair

    I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fnaturalurbanista.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup

    "You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

    Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2F3yxneol" class="Popup

    DC metro area
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users
    I can't see your hair so it's hard to judge.. but if you have to braid your hair and all of what you said or otherwise you can't get it to curl then you may not have 3c hair because totally natural 3c curls are a pretty definite thing...

    I have 3c hair myself and a wash and go for me is a well defined corkscrew curl pattern and I don't need to even touch it or put any product on it after I get out of the shower for it to curl..it does that on it's own. Totally natural Type 3c's shouldn't have to do anything to the hair to get it to curl besides wet it.. like if it's been previously brushed or straigthen non-chemically or something..because it already has a natural definite curl pattern.

    BTW, Jennifer Freeman doesn't have type 3c hair. I don't know who Naomi Allen is so I can't say.. but I watched Jennifer Freeman all the time on My Wife and Kids and she's probably a 3a. Her hair is not a 3c at all.. not even a little bit..her curls are way to loose.

    A 3c would be Rachel True or even Scary Spice before she straightened her hair... and Jennifer Freeman doesn't have hair like myself, Rachel True, or Scary Spice.

    Anyway, there is a woman on You Tube that shows how to get bigger curls like Leona Lewis on her natural hair.. you may want to check it out.. here's the link: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DSKVeoJTLoZ8" class="Popup
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    I didn't know who the OP was talking about either, but I just googled Jennifer Freeman. Yeah she has pretty loose curls. For your hair to look like that I'd think you have to have looser curls to begin with, and length.. at a shorter length you may not have that amount of looseness. I couldn't get my hair to look like hers either (not that I'm trying) without more length, and probably a lot of curl activator..lol. :glasses9:
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • springyheadspringyhead Posts: 350Registered Users
    To the OP: those girls seem to have looser curls. Do you have pics? Hair curl and styling options also changes dramatically with length. Give it time, I guess.

    You're hair might not do what theirs does, but I'm sure it does something beautiful and unique to you.

    And if its length you want, patience and simplicity go a long way for hair growth, it seems.

    I have 3c hair myself and a wash and go for me is a well defined corkscrew curl pattern and I don't need to even touch it or put any product on it after I get out of the shower for it to curl..it does that on it's own. Totally natural Type 3c's shouldn't have to do anything to the hair to get it to curl besides wet it.. like if it's been previously brushed or straigthen non-chemically or something..because it already has a natural definite curl pattern.

    \ /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DSKVeoJTLoZ8" class="Popup

    Isn't curling on its own without much manipulation other than water/moisture/whatever more to do with texture/behavior than curl size? I thought the main difference between 3c and 4a, if any, was the size, not texture...

    I have very tight, coily, corkscrew, O looking hair that is very self defining (can't get it to do anything else actually) and it's 4a on any popular typing system because the curl diameter is tiny, pen size being the largest.
    4a, fine coils. low/med porosity. "It's springy. Like a slinky."--My Lil' Cousin

    I use products on 90% dry hair.
    Wash: Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castille Soap.
    Conditioner: Tigi Bedhead Moisture Maniac/Suave Humectants
    Moisturizers: Long Aid
    Styler: Ecostyler Clear/ Vitamin E Oil
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    I thought the main difference between 3c and 4a, if any, was the size, not texture...

    I hope this doesn't sound dumb, but I never understood this.. what is "texture" supposed to mean? And yes curl size is what puts you in one box or another, but what does that have to do with this "texture" thing? :dontknow:
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • NaturallyCurlyEnnovyNaturallyCurlyEnnovy Posts: 992Registered Users
    I was just wondering how I can get my hair like Naomi Allen (girl from electrik red) Or Jennifer Freeman? I think I have 3c curls. But it's hard to get them the way I want :neutral:.

    Every night I oil my hair with cocnut oil and a mix of other oils. Then I braid my hair up into 8 sections four on each side and spray those braids with a mix of conditioner and water. I just wanna know how can I achieve this look without this huge process. It seems as if I can't get my hair to curl unless I go through this, or else parts come out curly and the rest of it is a big frizzy mess.

    I wanna be able to just wash and go and get defined curls. I have tried this method but my hair comes out stringy!!!!:angry8:

    I don't know who Naomi is, but I have seen the hair of actress Jennifer Freeman. From what you are doing to your hair to achieve curls I would say this would be a very hard look for you to achieve. In my opinion you would need to have this type of hair and texture and I don't get that from what you posted. If you could provide a picture it would better assist others with determining if this look can be achieved on your natural hair or if there was a way to do it with rollers or something. Also, in regards to the frizziness if you provided information about your exact regimen that could also help.

    I will say that you had the confidence and determination to become natural and you should love your natural hair and what your particular hair can do. I can understand wanting a certain hairstyle. But, the tone of your email suggest you want their type of hair and that confuses me. However, if I am misunderstanding I will apologize in advance. Your hair is beautiful and unique to you. That is a marvelous thing.:blob8:
    BekkaPoo wrote: »
    I thought the main difference between 3c and 4a, if any, was the size, not texture...

    I hope this doesn't sound dumb, but I never understood this.. what is "texture" supposed to mean? And yes curl size is what puts you in one box or another, but what does that have to do with this "texture" thing? :dontknow:

    When I hear "texture" my thoughts are actual texture. Meaning fine, medium or coarse hair. I am confused like you as to what the curl size has to do with texture because I didn't see "texture" mentioned anywhere but that post!
    YouTube & Twitter <<TheCurlyFitChic
    www.thecurlyfitchic.com
    Fotki<< Updated 2/10
  • springyheadspringyhead Posts: 350Registered Users
    [
    BekkaPoo wrote: »
    I thought the main difference between 3c and 4a, if any, was the size, not texture...

    I hope this doesn't sound dumb, but I never understood this.. what is "texture" supposed to mean? And yes curl size is what puts you in one box or another, but what does that have to do with this "texture" thing? :dontknow:

    When I hear "texture" my thoughts are actual texture. Meaning fine, medium or coarse hair. I am confused like you as to what the curl size has to do with texture because I didn't see "texture" mentioned anywhere but that post!


    Yeah...I second that. I mentioned texture and behavior in my post in response to another post describing 3c hair as hair that curls easily with water. I thought that how "easy" a person's hair curls or coils has more to do with someone's hair texture and/or behavior, rather than just the curl size, which I thought was type. Hey. Since curly hair is three dimensional (hehe), maybe their should be a third category: behavior.

    Aw forget it. I'm confusing myself just trying to explain. I'm kickin rocks now.
    4a, fine coils. low/med porosity. "It's springy. Like a slinky."--My Lil' Cousin

    I use products on 90% dry hair.
    Wash: Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castille Soap.
    Conditioner: Tigi Bedhead Moisture Maniac/Suave Humectants
    Moisturizers: Long Aid
    Styler: Ecostyler Clear/ Vitamin E Oil
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    [
    BekkaPoo wrote: »

    I hope this doesn't sound dumb, but I never understood this.. what is "texture" supposed to mean? And yes curl size is what puts you in one box or another, but what does that have to do with this "texture" thing? :dontknow:

    When I hear "texture" my thoughts are actual texture. Meaning fine, medium or coarse hair. I am confused like you as to what the curl size has to do with texture because I didn't see "texture" mentioned anywhere but that post!


    Yeah...I second that. I mentioned texture and behavior in my post in response to another post describing 3c hair as hair that curls easily with water. I thought that how "easy" a person's hair curls or coils has more to do with someone's hair texture and/or behavior, rather than just the curl size, which I thought was type. Hey. Since curly hair is three dimensional (hehe), maybe their should be a third category: behavior.

    Aw forget it. I'm confusing myself just trying to explain. I'm kickin rocks now.

    NOooooooOOoo! lol

    I was just wondering because sometimes I get comments on my fotki saying things like "Oh I like your texture", and I'm never sure what to say beyond "thank you". :laughing9: I don't know how you (gy) can determine texture/feel from looking at a picture..
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • NaturallyCurlyEnnovyNaturallyCurlyEnnovy Posts: 992Registered Users

    Yeah...I second that. I mentioned texture and behavior in my post in response to another post describing 3c hair as hair that curls easily with water. I thought that how "easy" a person's hair curls or coils has more to do with someone's hair texture and/or behavior, rather than just the curl size, which I thought was type. Hey. Since curly hair is three dimensional (hehe), maybe their should be a third category: behavior.

    Aw forget it. I'm confusing myself just trying to explain. I'm kickin rocks now.

    I read somewhere that if you have curls when you get out of the shower and without any product then you are in the type 2 category. I'm pretty sure it was a thread somewhere on this board and someone posted a link. So that is probably why they made that comment if they read it too.

    Yeah, it is all confusing to me!! So many ways to look at hair by different people. When it really doesn't matter at all. At first I was all excited about this hair typing thing. Now I'm like....why?? Because it is all trial and error. I can find someone with the same exact hair as me (or as close as possible) and it's still not a guarantee that we can use the same products. My hair may not react in the same way or even my SCALP may not.
    BekkaPoo wrote: »
    NOooooooOOoo! lol

    I was just wondering because sometimes I get comments on my fotki saying things like "Oh I like your texture", and I'm never sure what to say beyond "thank you". :laughing9: I don't know how you (gy) can determine texture/feel from looking at a picture..

    I know right!! I comment on the style, accessories or the way the curls look (ie..shiney, healthy, etc). I guess if it is a close up photo with fantastic quality you could maybe see the texture. Perhaps that should be a topic!!
    YouTube & Twitter <<TheCurlyFitChic
    www.thecurlyfitchic.com
    Fotki<< Updated 2/10
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users

    Isn't curling on its own without much manipulation other than water/moisture/whatever more to do with texture/behavior than curl size? I thought the main difference between 3c and 4a, if any, was the size, not texture...

    I have very tight, coily, corkscrew, O looking hair that is very self defining (can't get it to do anything else actually) and it's 4a on any popular typing system because the curl diameter is tiny, pen size being the largest.

    I am not sure what exact response you are looking for since what you wrote doesn't seem to have to do with what my point was based on what you quoted...

    Um.. what I can comment on is..that My hair is not O shaped.. It's corkscrew like if you were to pull the corkscrew out and stretch it. I suppose the best description would be that it looks like a pulled out slinky in it's natural state without me doing anything to it. It has a defined curl pattern naturally with no manipulation and doesn't have an O shape.

    That doesn't have anything to do with texture..so I am not sure why you refer to it. You kind of lost me there or perhaps I just misunderstood what you were conveying. But in any event, Texture really has to do with the actual appearance, feel, and managablness of the hair. I don't really see what that has to do with curls per se. You can have a really thick coarse texture and be a certain hair type but another person can have a softer thinner texture and their hair can still be the same hair type.

    To me an O shape means the hair collapses on itself to form an O that is close to the scalp. My hair doesn't do that.. it actually springs out from my scalp like a slinky.

    My point was if the Original Poster has to do anything to her hair to evoke a curl ..she's probably isn't a 3c..because 3c hair is already curled with a definite curl pattern that you can see clearly and you don't need to do anything to get it that way. So does 4a for that matter.

    She could possibly have type 4b or what some are calling 4c hair which both can be wiry and forms Z's. Of course all of this is conjecture because she didn't show a picture in the thread. But there are just some FACTS about curly hair and if you have to "get it" to curl as she stated..then we can deduce it's not a certain type by using logic BASED on what she stated. And she did infact state she can't get her hair to curl unless she goes through the process she described with the braids. Well with 3c hair you don't have to "get it" to curl. It just does naturally.

    So if what she stated about her hair is indeed accurate then she wouldn't be able to achieve a Jennifer Freeman look without actually doing some manipulation to her hair if she could get it like that at all. Besides that Jennifer Freeman doesn't even have type 3c hair to begin with...and the Original Poster seem to convey that she wanted a wash and go to be like that and well it's common sense if you don't have hair like that to begin with you can't do a wash and go and expect it to fall that way. You would HAVE to do some manipulation.

    That was my point. :)
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users
    BekkaPoo wrote: »
    I thought the main difference between 3c and 4a, if any, was the size, not texture...

    I hope this doesn't sound dumb, but I never understood this.. what is "texture" supposed to mean? And yes curl size is what puts you in one box or another, but what does that have to do with this "texture" thing? :dontknow:

    You don't sound dumb at all. A lot of people don't know what this is.. because generally people forget what they learned about textures in grammar school.

    Actual TEXTURE has to do with the feel, appearance, and managability of the hair. Texture is basically a measurement of how fine or coarse the hair.

    Basically hair texture has four types: Fine, Medium, Coarse, and Wiry. There are also four ranges in hair texture and they are: thin, medium, or thick in density and the hair can be any type meaning straight, wavy, curly, or kinky.

    Two people with the same EXACT hair type on the popular hair typing scales that are used today can have different textures.

    For instance, two type 3c's can have different textures. As in one can have thick and coarse hair that may not be easy to manage when manipulating it. Another type 3c may have thinner, finer, softer hair that may be easier for them to manage. That's texture. Same with any other hair types.

    Curl typing has to do basically with the size and shape of the curl pattern itself.. not the feel, and managability.

    This may help you to understand it better.. texture is mainly to do with the sensation you get from touching it. Is it soft, hard, fuzzy, smooth, thick, thin, wiry, etc. Remember when you were in grammar school and they let you feel swatches of various fabrics like cotton, wool, satin, etc ? They were teaching you TEXTURE.

    A Curl Type, at least on the generally thought of hair scales don't have anything to do with texture. They have to do with the size and shapes of the curls.

    When a lot of people say they like your texture after looking at your picture..they may simply mean they like how your hair looks to their naked eye. That could mean they like how soft your hair looks or maybe how thick it looks or that they may simply like your curl pattern. It could mean a bevy of things to that individual. :)

    But the actual definition of texture has to do with feel, overall appearance, and managableness. It's basically the measurement in degree of how fine or coarse hair is in diameter.

    Hope that helps you out...
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    BekkaPoo wrote: »
    I thought the main difference between 3c and 4a, if any, was the size, not texture...

    I hope this doesn't sound dumb, but I never understood this.. what is "texture" supposed to mean? And yes curl size is what puts you in one box or another, but what does that have to do with this "texture" thing? :dontknow:

    You don't sound dumb at all. A lot of people don't know what this is.. because generally people forget what they learned about textures in grammar school.

    Actual TEXTURE has to do with the feel, appearance, and managability of the hair. Texture is basically a measurement of how fine or coarse the hair.

    Basically hair texture has four types: Fine, Medium, Coarse, and Wiry. There are also four ranges in hair texture and they are: thin, medium, or thick in density and the hair can be any type meaning straight, wavy, curly, or kinky.

    Two people with the same EXACT hair type on the popular hair typing scales that are used today can have different textures.

    For instance, two type 3c's can have different textures. As in one can have thick and coarse hair that may not be easy to manage when manipulating it. Another type 3c may have thinner, finer, softer hair that may be easier for them to manage. That's texture. Same with any other hair types.

    Curl typing has to do basically with the size and shape of the curl pattern itself.. not the feel, and managability.

    This may help you to understand it better.. texture is mainly to do with the sensation you get from touching it. Is it soft, hard, fuzzy, smooth, thick, thin, wiry, etc. Remember when you were in grammar school and they let you feel swatches of various fabrics like cotton, wool, satin, etc ? They were teaching you TEXTURE.

    A Curl Type, at least on the generally thought of hair scales don't have anything to do with texture. They have to do with the size and shapes of the curls.

    When a lot of people say they like your texture after looking at your picture..they may simply mean they like how your hair looks to their naked eye. That could mean they like how soft your hair looks or maybe how thick it looks or that they may simply like your curl pattern. It could mean a bevy of things to that individual. :)

    But the actual definition of texture has to do with feel, overall appearance, and managableness. It's basically the measurement in degree of how fine or coarse hair is in diameter.

    Hope that helps you out...


    Hrm.. well thanks for your perspective. That helps me out actually.

    But I don't want anyone going around thinking just because your hair is "fine" in texture that this makes it more manageable necessarily. And what is "manageable" supposed to mean? Ones hair is as manageable as ones skills allow, right? I don't think I could manage my hair now if it went from curly to straight because I completely ruined my hair when it was chemically straight (which is why I want nothing to do with having straight hair..lol).
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users
    Hrm.. well thanks for your perspective. That helps me out actually.

    But I don't want anyone going around thinking just because your hair is "fine" in texture that this makes it more manageable necessarily. And what is "manageable" supposed to mean? Ones hair is as manageable as ones skills allow, right? I don't think I could manage my hair now if it went from curly to straight because I completely ruined my hair when it was chemically straight (which is why I want nothing to do with having straight hair..lol).

    You are welcome....

    LOL.. people are going to think what they WANT to think whether one wants them to or not so I don't worry about it that much. I've personally come to the conclusion that it's just life....

    But NOTICE... I stated that another 3c MAY HAVE a thinner, finer texture, that MAY be easier for them to manage. Please refer back to my post and notice I prefaced it with the word MAY. Conveying and indicating that it is possible not neccessarily probable...

    Managable when refering to hair texture really just means how easy it is to manipulate one way or the other.. meaning how easy it is to comb, style, etc.

    But I comprehend what you mean... but hey people will think what they will.. :)

    I have really thick hair and a lot of it and some could think it's hard as heck to manage..but for me it's easy to manage because I know what I am doing with MY hair. :toothy8:
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • OnyxCabeloOnyxCabelo Posts: 1,767Registered Users
    BekkaPoo wrote: »

    Hrm.. well thanks for your perspective. That helps me out actually.

    But I don't want anyone going around thinking just because your hair is "fine" in texture that this makes it more manageable necessarily. And what is "manageable" supposed to mean? Ones hair is as manageable as ones skills allow, right? I don't think I could manage my hair now if it went from curly to straight because I completely ruined my hair when it was chemically straight (which is why I want nothing to do with having straight hair..lol).

    Thank you! I was just thinking this! My hair is like wire, but it's easy for me to manage because I know what I'm doing with it - it took me a whole year to master it. I go to a stylist, and they unleash the beast and then they want to act like they're afraid:laughing6:.
    Currently:Alaffia Shea & Coconut Enriching Shampoo, Alaffia Virgin Coconut & Shea Enriching Hair Lotion, Qhemet Amla Olive Heavy Cream, Qhemet Honeybush Tea Gel.

    Last Texturizer: March 12, 2008
    BC: July 21, 2008
    Hair: Coarse, low porosity, iii.

    Certified Denirophile:love5:

    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different outcome". ~ Albert Einstein
  • springyheadspringyhead Posts: 350Registered Users


    Um.. what I can comment on is..that My hair is not O shaped.. It's corkscrew like if you were to pull the corkscrew out and stretch it. I suppose the best description would be that it looks like a pulled out slinky in it's natural state without me doing anything to it. It has a defined curl pattern naturally with no manipulation and doesn't have an O shape.

    That doesn't have anything to do with texture..so I am not sure why you refer to it.

    To me an O shape means the hair collapses on itself to form an O that is close to the scalp. My hair doesn't do that.. it actually springs out from my scalp like a slinky.
    Thanks for your perspective on O shaped hair.
    I mentioned my own to illustrate that you don't have to be a "totally natural 3c" to have curl definition when wet. That's what I don't agree with in your original post. And also, since I understood curl "type" is dealing with the size of the curl alone, I don't agree that "curling when wet" is a function of a particular hair type/size. In fact, I think curls and coils of all sizes (including in the 4s) can get more defined when wet. It's not something that's specific to a particular curl size. Now what it needs to remain healthy, moisturized as it dries, etc is a different story and is probably more a function of texture and porosity than type. And as you said before, two people with the same curl type can have different textures, porosity, product needs, etc, but the curl size is the same.

    I see your point of your original post, that you can't get your hair to do something that it just won't. But that whole "totally natural 3c" comment was just hogwash and I hear that a lot. But I think a lot of it comes from an ignorance of kinky/4 type hair more than anything else. And since most folks with my type of hair relax, type 4 hair and what it can do might remain a mystery for a while.

    Oh, and by the way: my O hair springs from my hair too...hence....my name :) That's the beauty of curly and coily hair, isn't it? What you think is a characteristic of yours can be shared by a completely different type curlyhead.
    4a, fine coils. low/med porosity. "It's springy. Like a slinky."--My Lil' Cousin

    I use products on 90% dry hair.
    Wash: Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castille Soap.
    Conditioner: Tigi Bedhead Moisture Maniac/Suave Humectants
    Moisturizers: Long Aid
    Styler: Ecostyler Clear/ Vitamin E Oil
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users
    TO: SPRINGYHEAD:
    Thanks for your perspective on O shaped hair.
    I mentioned my own to illustrate that you don't have to be a "totally natural 3c" to have curl definition when wet. That's what I don't agree with in your original post. And also, since I understood curl "type" is dealing with the size of the curl alone, I don't agree that "curling when wet" is a function of a particular hair type/size. In fact, I think curls and coils of all sizes (including in the 4s) can get more defined when wet. It's not something that's specific to a particular curl size. Now what it needs to remain healthy, moisturized as it dries, etc is a different story and is probably more a function of texture and porosity than type. And as you said before, two people with the same curl type can have different textures, porosity, product needs, etc, but the curl size is the same.

    Um.. I am not sure WHY you are even referring to this.. NO WHERE did I say no one else can get curl definition besides 3c's when wet.. NO WHERE. LOL!

    I am not sure why you continue to read more into my post than what's actually there. The original poster MENTIONED she thought she has 3c hair.. and that is why I commented on 3c hair type because type 3 hair has certain charactistics that you really can't get around, it's fact...there was nothing from me that stated that no one else can get curl definition besides a 3c when wet. I would be a damn fool to say such a thing when I know darn well people that do not have my hair type (which happens to be 3c) have curl definition and just have it naturally.

    So with all due respect.. I am not sure where you pulled that from... I have nothing against Type 4 hair and it seems to me that is really your issue.. you think I have some conflict with type 4 hair and it was your attempt to call me on it. I hope that is not the case, but that is the impression I am getting...

    For the record, I don't. And if you read any of my past posts on this forum about hair types you will see that the whole hair against hair thing bugs the mess out of me. I've made detailed posts about my dislike for that sort of thing. I know good and well type 4's can get curl definition particularly type 4a's considering my own mother has that type of hair and her hair curls like no one's business when it's natural. When I was growing up her curl definition UNWET was better than mine is now! Now type 4b and 4c's don't have a defined curls to me naturally without doing something to it.. that hair type seems more like a Z to me which is not actually a curl per se in my view. If you disagree with that..so be it. But that is how I understand 4b and 4c hair types.
    I see your point of your original post, that you can't get your hair to do something that it just won't. But that whole "totally natural 3c" comment was just hogwash and I hear that a lot. But I think a lot of it comes from an ignorance of kinky/4 type hair more than anything else. And since most folks with my type of hair relax, type 4 hair and what it can do might remain a mystery for a while.

    I am glad you got my point... but once again.. my totally natural 3c comment was completely accurate because what I said and ALL I SAID was type 3's don't need to do any manipulation to get a curl because it does that naturally. I didn't say anything about it was the only hair type that does it.. YOU read that into what I said all on your own. So I don't have any complex about type 4 hair... Perhaps because you have experienced some negative issues with type 3c hair people.. you kind of got a little trigger happy when you read my post ? I don't know.. but where you are coming from is beyond me since I never mentioned what you are stating at all.
    Oh, and by the way: my O hair springs from my hair too...hence....my name :) That's the beauty of curly and coily hair, isn't it? What you think is a characteristic of yours can be shared by a completely different type curlyhead.

    Well like I said O's usually lay flat when I see it.. so when you say O's I would have to see what you mean to verify.. in any event.. I don't have O shaped hair so I suppose it doesn't really come into play when thinking about my own hair. And I am sure yours is lovely.

    But I do honestly think you went on a tangent needlessly about something I wasn't even discussing, didn't imply, and never brought up anyway. I never brought up texture.. YOU DID. I never brought up that 3c's are the only types that can get a curl definition when wet.. YOU DID. And you never even asked me for clarification.. you simply made assumptions with no basis and proceeded to respond on that faulty premise. Not sure why though besides your past experiences with some type 3c hair people haven't been respectful and well I can certainly understand that sentiment.

    I have seen that myself where certain women of color with one type of hair will act like there hair is better because it's looser or the texture is finer than anothers and on the flip side I've seen women with a tighter curl or little to no defined curl get a little overly sensitive about hair and feel that someone else with another type hair thinks they are better.

    All I can do is SPEAK FOR ME and I don't go for that bull crap. I have enough to worry about with maintaining my own hair and the last thing I need to do is stick my nose in the air about my hair which believe me..ain't all that. But it's mine and I like it, but it's just hair.. it's not the Hope Diamond.

    To me the whole hair this type 3 versus type 4 drama especially among women of color is just that.. DRAMA and I don't buy into it. I like all types of hair including straight, wavy, curl, relaxed, flat ironed, and otherwise. I simply choose to wear mine naturally curly because it's easy and my hair seems to just look and respond better in it's natural state.

    I never disparage people about the natural state of their hair..that's something a person cannot help. To me disrespecting someone because of the natural state of their hair is JUST as bad as making fun of someone that is born with a disability or were born of a certain race. I find that absolutely deplorable. Now I might say I can't stand a hair cut or hair style.. but you will NEVER see me down someone because they wear the hair they are born with and you will never see me go through the "I got good hair BS"... that behavior is beneath me. And being mixed.. I sort of understand that deal a little better than you may think I do.. I know about natural type 4 hair. I grew up with a mother with that type of hair and SEVERAL female cousins with that type of hair on my mom's side. And all of them WORKED the hair and looked good doing it.

    So for future reference.. It might be better to ASK rather than assume.. because what you got off on as "hogwash" was really something you brought up and had a problem with.. not me. :)

    Hope you understand now and you don't feel offended because that is not my intent. My intent is to completely clarify my stance in hopes that you comprehend what I stated and not feel you need to read into something. I usually say EXACTLY what I mean and I don't really do the implication game.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • NaturallyCurlyEnnovyNaturallyCurlyEnnovy Posts: 992Registered Users
    NO WHERE did I say no one else can get curl definition besides 3c's when wet.. NO WHERE. LOL!

    I am not sure why you continue to read more into my post than what's actually there. The original poster MENTIONED she thought she has 3c hair.. and that is why I commented on 3c hair type because type 3 hair has certain charactistics that you really can't get around, it's fact...there was nothing from me that stated that no one else can get curl definition besides a 3c when wet. I would be a damn fool to say such a thing when I know darn well people that do not have my hair type (which happens to be 3c) have curl definition and just have it naturally.

    So with all due respect.. I am not sure where you pulled that from... I have nothing against Type 4 hair and it seems to me that is really your issue.. you think I have some conflict with type 4 hair and it was your attempt to call me on it. I hope that is not the case, but that is the impression I am getting...

    For the record, I don't. And if you read any of my past posts on this forum about hair types you will see that the whole hair against hair thing bugs the mess out of me. I've made detailed posts about my dislike for that sort of thing. I know good and well type 4's can get curl definition particularly type 4a's considering my own mother has that type of hair and her hair curls like no one's business when it's natural. When I was growing up her curl definition UNWET was better than mine is now! Now type 4b and 4c's don't have a defined curls to me naturally without doing something to it.. that hair type seems more like a Z to me which is not actually a curl per se in my view. If you disagree with that..so be it. But that is how I understand 4b and 4c hair types.

    my totally natural 3c comment was completely accurate because what I said and ALL I SAID was type 3's don't need to do any manipulation to get a curl because it does that naturally. So I don't have any complex about type 4 hair... Perhaps because you have experienced some negative issues with type 3c hair people.. you kind of got a little trigger happy when you read my post ? I don't know.. but where you are coming from is beyond me since I never mentioned what you are stating at all.

    Well like I said O's usually lay flat when I see it.. so when you say O's I would have to see what you mean to verify.. in any event.. I don't have O shaped hair so I suppose it doesn't really come into play when thinking about my own hair. And I am sure yours is lovely.

    But I do honestly think you went on a tangent needlessly about something I wasn't even discussing, didn't imply, and never brought up anyway. Inever brought up texture.. YOU DID. I never brought up that 3c's are the only types that can get a curl definition when wet.. YOU DID. And you never even asked me for clarification.. you simply made assumptions with no basis and proceeded to respond on that faulty premise. Not sure why though besides your past experiences with some type 3c hair people haven't been respectful and well I can certainly understand that sentiment.

    To me the whole hair this type 3 versus type 4 drama especially among women of color is just that.. DRAMA and I don't buy into it. I like all types of hair including straight, wavy, curl, relaxed, flat ironed, and otherwise. I simply choose to wear mine naturally curly because it's easy and my hair seems to just look and respond better in it's natural state.

    I never disparage people about the natural state of their hair..that's something a person cannot help. To me disrespecting someone because of the natural state of their hair is JUST as bad as making fun of someone that is born with a disability or were born of a certain race. I find that absolutely deplorable. Now I might say I can't stand a hair cut or hair style.. but you will NEVER see me down someone because they wear the hair they are born with and you will never see me go through the "I got good hair BS"... that behavior is beneath me. And being mixed.. I sort of understand that deal a little better than you may think I do.. I know about natural type 4 hair. I grew up with a mother with that type of hair and SEVERAL female cousins with that type of hair on my mom's side. And all of them WORKED the hair and looked good doing it.

    So for future reference.. It might be better to ASK rather than assume.. because what you got off on as "hogwash" was really something you brought up and had a problem with.. not me. :)

    Hope you understand now and you don't feel offended because that is not my intent. My intent is to completely clarify my stance in hopes that you comprehend what I stated and not feel you need to read into something. I usually say EXACTLY what I mean and I don't really do the implication game.

    You seem a little hostile and I am unclear as to why. Springyhead made a very good point. No you did not say in your original post that ONLY 3c's get curl definition when wet. But, it was definitely implied. I even laughed when I read it, however I chose not to comment. By saying specifically what Type 3 hair can do is indeed implying Type 4 can not do those same things. To have avoided that implication a specific hair type would not have been mentioned at all.

    Just because a person has a certain "hair type" does not mean everyone with that "hair type" hair reacts the same way. This in part would be due to the texture, porostiy, and curl size. Just because you may have grown up with someone in your household that classified themselves as Type 4, it does not mean that their type 4 hair is the same as Springyhead's (for example only). Therefore, to make generalizations about Type 4 hair would pointless.

    I think it is hilarious that you mentioned you feel the whole Type 3 and Type 4 is just drama because in the few post I have seen of yours you really do make reference to Type 3 a great deal. I have never since finding this board heard it mentioned by anyone as much as you do in your post. I truly understand you wanting everyone to know you have Type 3c hair. But, is it really necesary when so many other factors come into play when dealing with hair?

    Also, I am not sure why you mentioned twice that Springyhead had past issues with 3c people being disrespectful. It was not implied in her post. In my opinion she was trying to inform you as to what her hair can do since it seemed you had a preconceived notion.

    You may not have meant to come across the way you did in your original post. But, it was done and I commend Springyhead for commenting as I didn't feel comfortable at the time with mentioning! Perhaps this can be an eye opening experience. I know for me if one person says something to me about something I did I say they are overreacting. However, if multiple people tell me the same thing I have to sit back and think....perhaps I did come across the wrong way or hurt someone's feelings. So I apologize, move on and try not to make that mistake again.
    YouTube & Twitter <<TheCurlyFitChic
    www.thecurlyfitchic.com
    Fotki<< Updated 2/10
  • springyheadspringyhead Posts: 350Registered Users
    TO: SPRINGYHEAD:



    type 3 hair has certain charactistics that you really can't get around, it's fact...

    Most of your post is irrational and hostile so I won't respond in full. However, the bottom line, and the original point of my post, was that you think that 3c hair has "characteristics" other than the size of the curl and it's shape and I disagree. So we simply disagree.
    Also, I am not sure why you mentioned twice that Springyhead had past issues with 3c people being disrespectful. It was not implied in her post.

    That was kind of comical....getting a vision of 3 3c haired ladies surrounding me and bopping me on my head with a denman brush.
    4a, fine coils. low/med porosity. "It's springy. Like a slinky."--My Lil' Cousin

    I use products on 90% dry hair.
    Wash: Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castille Soap.
    Conditioner: Tigi Bedhead Moisture Maniac/Suave Humectants
    Moisturizers: Long Aid
    Styler: Ecostyler Clear/ Vitamin E Oil
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users
    You seem a little hostile and I am unclear as to why. Springyhead made a very good point. No you did not say in your original post that ONLY 3c's get curl definition when wet. But, it was definitely implied. I even laughed when I read it, however I chose not to comment. By saying specifically what Type 3 hair can do is indeed implying Type 4 can not do those same things. To have avoided that implication a specific hair type would not have been mentioned at all.


    Nope, not hostile at all. No reason to be.. but like I said.. I never said type 3's are the only ones to get curl definition when wet. To me that would be silly knowing good and well my mom was type 4a and her hair is curlier than mine when unwet. She didnt have to wet hers at all for any defined curl..it just curled naturally. So whether or not you think it was implied is really irrelevant. I didn't say it nor did I imply it. Now if you CHOOSE to think otherwise..that's up to you. But I told Springy what I STATED and now I am telling you. It's up to you what you do with it.

    And for the record, the original poster MENTIONED she had type 3c hair. Since I have type 3c hair my intention was to help her out. If you would have done it differently..that's you.. I am not you. :)


    Just because a person has a certain "hair type" does not mean everyone with that "hair type" hair reacts the same way. This in part would be due to the texture, porostiy, and curl size. Just because you may have grown up with someone in your household that classified themselves as Type 4, it does not mean that their type 4 hair is the same as Springyhead's (for example only). Therefore, to make generalizations about Type 4 hair would pointless.


    I agree hence why I posted all the posts I did to make sure that was understood. I don't know if you glazed over them in your haste to comment and back up your buddy... but I said all of that and more... and I didn't say anyone in my family had hair like Springyheads. What I said was type 4's are in my family and I do know about those hair types more than she may think. She is the one who went into the whole spiel about ignorance about type 4 hair.. and yada yada.

    What's up with you two reading into more than what's there ? LOL! Now I have to laugh. I honestly think some people have an issue with hair typing in general... and when someone mentions it they suddenly run to all these "implications" that are IMAGINED. And to be honest, I've seen some of your posts and I get that impression from you. But I never mentioned it to you because I feel you have a right to feel how you feel. To a lot of people the hair typing system causes animosity and so they stay away from it. For me it doesn't.. so I use it.



    I think it is hilarious that you mentioned you feel the whole Type 3 and Type 4 is just drama because in the few post I have seen of yours you really do make reference to Type 3 a great deal. I have never since finding this board heard it mentioned by anyone as much as you do in your post. I truly understand you wanting everyone to know you have Type 3c hair. But, is it really necesary when so many other factors come into play when dealing with hair?


    Well, like Springyhead, I think you have a tendency to read into things because you don't like the hair drama that sometimes comes with hair typing. I personally look at the hair typing as just a system of identifying characteristics about hair. To me it's very useful when trying to access what issue somene may have with their hair, what they are trying to describe when it comes to their hair, and a general way to just classify. It's just like any other system such as what ethnic or racial category one falls in. Everyone doesn't like it.. but it is useful.

    To me, I try to look for the usefulness in accurate labeling.. if you choose to see it otherwise I certainly don't disparage you that.. but I don't neccessarily mind accurate labels. I find the hair typing system convenient. I think people like yourself don't really care for it in general and when someone uses it then it rubs you the wrong way. I feel you got that impression from my posts because you are ALREADY "sensitive" about hair typing.


    Also, I am not sure why you mentioned twice that Springyhead had past issues with 3c people being disrespectful. It was not implied in her post. In my opinion she was trying to inform you as to what her hair can do since it seemed you had a preconceived notion.

    You may not have meant to come across the way you did in your original post. But, it was done and I commend Springyhead for commenting as I didn't feel comfortable at the time with mentioning! Perhaps this can be an eye opening experience. I know for me if one person says something to me about something I did I say they are overreacting. However, if multiple people tell me the same thing I have to sit back and think....perhaps I did come across the wrong way or hurt someone's feelings. So I apologize, move on and try not to make that mistake again.

    Well I am not personally apologizing for anything because I didn't do anything wrong. YOU and Springyhead developed your OWN conclusions about what you THINK was implied. I have tried to clarify my position based on what I wrote, not on what you and she concocted on your own.

    And considering the fact that neither of you can point to a FACT as far as these alledged implications then I suppose we will have to simply agree to disagree. As I said, I didn't mention texture first nor did I mention that only type 3c's curl when wet. Me saying that would be stupid since the definition of type 4a is tightly coiled/curly hair. If you and she choose to believe otherwise and go in with the though of "we know what she meant better than what she actually SAID" so be it. None of us know eachother or owe eachother anything.

    So if you want to find me hostile, cryptic, and whatever else.. not much I can do about that.. people will believe and think what they want. But as far as on my end, I don't have any hard feelings toward either of you. If you want to hold something against me for what you THINK you know about me and CHOOSE to believe about me.. oh well. :)
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users
    TO: SPRINGYHEAD:



    type 3 hair has certain charactistics that you really can't get around, it's fact...

    Most of your post is irrational and hostile so I won't respond in full. However, the bottom line, and the original point of my post, was that you think that 3c hair has "characteristics" other than the size of the curl and it's shape and I disagree. So we simply disagree.
    Also, I am not sure why you mentioned twice that Springyhead had past issues with 3c people being disrespectful. It was not implied in her post.

    That was kind of comical....getting a vision of 3 3c haired ladies surrounding me and bopping me on my head with a denman brush.

    I honestly felt you were the one being irrational considering you are the one who came up with all these things I never even stated. I didn't think you were hostile at all though. Your posts didn't come off as hostile at all.. at least not to me. Assuming yes, but not hostile.

    Eh, but I really think what you say in this post is you coping out because nothing I said in my response to the original poster had anything thing to do with this nonsense about texture and only 3c's can be curly when wet subjects you morphed out of thin air.. but whatever.. you have the right to believe whatever you want... I explained my position a few times now.. you still choose to believe what you THINK you know and not what I actually stated.. so I mean it is what it is...

    But I don't have any hard feelings toward you.. certainly not over hair and what I think is really a misunderstanding based on assumptions and people being a little overly sensitive about hair typing in general... but as I said.. eh.. it is what it is...
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg