Why didn't they ask evans?

iaraiara Posts: 1,199Registered Users
I read the book a while ago and recently caught the newest adaptation of Christie's "Why Didn't They Ask Evans" for the Marple series. The book made sense. The newest adaptation has a lot of plot holes.

Has anyone seen it? I have a ton of questions.

Why did Roger kill Evans?
How did Moira and Roger find each other when they were adults?
What exactly did the Chinese "do to European girls"? I thought being European in China between the wars would have given the women status.
Did Moira love her husband or was she just using him to get to her mother?

A lot more questions but these are the biggest ones. Any takers?
You cannot invite someone to your house in the Hamptons and when she arrives, not let her stay. Tacky. Very Tacky. ~ East Village hipster.

People in Ward Three disdain three things: cleavage, hunting and dumb people who are richer than they are. ~ David Brooks

Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. ~Armaments 2:9-21

Comments

• ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    i adore Miss Marple, but i couldn't watch the PBS series because i don't like the new Miss Marple and all of the acting seemed to be over the top.

i did enjoy the new episodes of Hercule Poirot and the new Swedish detective series.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • iaraiara Posts: 1,199Registered Users
    Yes, the producers and director definitely take artistic license with ITV's Marple. I do not mind so much because the visuals are beautiful. And I like to see the new interpretations, even if the story is a little fantastic and do not resemble the original and are set in the wrong time.

Have you seen series 4? Julia Mckenzie embodies Miss Marple from the books better than Geraldine McEwan. Perhaps in the future there will be an actor to Miss Marple as David Suchet is to Poirot.

I have not seen the Swedish detective series. Is it adapted from a book?

I guess I know why Roger killed Evans, but like the rest of the story, it does not make sense! But he was not in the book anyway. Why they needed two Evanses, I do not know!

Maybe some Chinese history buffs can give me insight on why it would have been dangerous for European women in China right before and during WWII.
    You cannot invite someone to your house in the Hamptons and when she arrives, not let her stay. Tacky. Very Tacky. ~ East Village hipster.

People in Ward Three disdain three things: cleavage, hunting and dumb people who are richer than they are. ~ David Brooks

Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. ~Armaments 2:9-21
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    iara wrote: »
    Have you seen series 4? Julia Mckenzie embodies Miss Marple from the books better than Geraldine McEwan. Perhaps in the future there will be an actor to Miss Marple as David Suchet is to Poirot.

I haven't seen series 4, unless this is the series that was shown recently on PBS.
    I have not seen the Swedish detective series. Is it adapted from a book?

Wallander
    by Henning Mankell

Do you watch Inspector Lewis? If so, a new season begins on August 30.
    Maybe some Chinese history buffs can give me insight on why it would have been dangerous for European women in China right before and during WWII.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the comfort women? Comfort women were Japanese, Chinese, Korean and European women who were kidnapped or tricked into prostitution to serve the soldiers.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • iaraiara Posts: 1,199Registered Users
    I watch "Marple" on PBS online so it must have been on PBS recently. Although I enjoyed Joan Hickson better, Julia is a good Miss Marple. I think part of the reason I like Joan better is because the stories were not fantastic and were very much true to what Christie wrote. I do not mind artistic writing, but the ITV's "Marple" has some implausible story lines. LOL Geraldine was just wrong for the part. I did not like how they explained that the reason Miss Marple was a spinster was because the married man she was seeing died during WWI.

I actually like Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple. Her interpretation was eccentricic, but she brought out some of the upbringing alluded to in the book (like champion horseback rider and markswoman). I think the combination of Joan and Margaret's Marple would capture the Marple of the stories.

I will check out "Wallander." Thanks.

Yes, I love Inspector Lewis. I will look for it online.

Oh, comfort women. I had no idea European women were comfort women for the Japanese soldiers, too. I need to brush up on my WWII history.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file