Hair Softerners

Nyka73Nyka73 Posts: 6Registered Users
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone actually used any of the hair softener products? I just want your opinions. Early this year, I used Oasis, it was okay but I'm thinking I would either prefer to completely relax my hair again. The softener is fine but I still have some questions from other users.

Thanks,

Comments

• JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    never heard of it
    3b-3c CG
  • curlyplus2curlyplus2 Posts: 105Registered Users
    Nyka73 wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

Has anyone actually used any of the hair softener products? I just want your opinions. Early this year, I used Oasis, it was okay but I'm thinking I would either prefer to completely relax my hair again. The softener is fine but I still have some questions from other users.

Thanks,

Nyka73, I am getting a mineral softener on Tues. I am having it done by my stylist. Is this the same thing you are referring to? What did the Oasis do for your hair? What is your hair type? Thanks.
    Hair Type: 3C Natural, 3B Relaxed. I'm transitioning!

Fotki Password: curly
  • Nyka73Nyka73 Posts: 6Registered Users
    Yes, I believe its the same. Oasis was also a mineral softerner, I actually liked it but I forgot that I was also drying my hair out by blow drying constantly!! But I love to travel and I liked that I could use it myself and not worry about scratching my scalp!! It took away alot of my kinky fro, so now when I wear my hair in a fro, it's SUPER SUPER fluffy and bouncy. Instead of stiff! Just watch for the drieness and condition as usual.

Enjoy!!
    Nyka73 wrote:
    Yes, I believe its the same. Oasis was also a mineral softerner, I actually liked it but I forgot that I was also drying my hair out by blow drying constantly!! But I love to travel and I liked that I could use it myself and not worry about scratching my scalp!! It took away alot of my kinky fro, so now when I wear my hair in a fro, it's SUPER SUPER fluffy and bouncy. Instead of stiff! Just watch for the drieness and condition as usual.

Enjoy!!

OOOOO thanks so much for your reply. I am excited about this!

Nyka73,

Not sure if you are checking this post still. I got my mineral softener today. My hair is beautiful, but I feel really guilty like I got a relaxer and am afraid to see what my natural curls might look like. My stylist insisted that this would just help me with my straight look but I still had the option to wear my hair curly. Of course my hair was styled straight so I won't know until I wash again. Now don't get me wrong, I like the look straight, but I much prefer the curly look. Do you wear your hair straight, curly or both? I've been transitioning and relaxer free for 11 months so I guess I'm not transitioning anymore?

At first I felt really happy and satisified and then the HAIR guilt set in for a moment!!! Like I was free and now I'm caged again. I really loved the results and I do prefer my hair straight, but I like to know that my natural hair is available when I want it.
    When I first washed my hair, it just looked like a soft fro and when I blow dried it, it looked EXTREMELY FLUFFY, the kinky soft look was there. The funny thing was that over a few days, my hair would go straight on its own!!!! It was weird but kinda of funny. But I have to confess a funny thing... for a year before putting in the softener, I was doing the flat iron/hot comb straightening... after awhile my hair was staying straight on its own. So I don't know what's going on!!

Keep me up with your progress... I don't know anyone else with this product in their hair, so I don't have anyone to discuss this with. Did you hairstylist tell you where you can buy the product? My stylist went on maternity leave.

Talk to me, I'm here!!
    I'll definitely keep you posted. Kept waiting for my hair to be wild and crazy with the heat and it's still soft and smooth. I definitely have that "hair guilt" feeling. And then, one friend kept asking me what I did to my hair and I was trying to explain the Bio Softener and the ability to wear it both ways and she just dismissed me and said "girl, that's a perm!" Oh well. I actually can't wait to wash and see the results of my natural hair, but I will hold off until it's actually time. Have you ever heard of a silkener? Sounds like it may be the same thing to me.

She didn't tell me where I could buy it from. I don't know how to do that kind of stuff in my own hair (would be too afraid) so I didn't really ask, but I do know that the product name is something like Joy Joyce?

I had one person question me about my hair but she ALWAYS questione my hair and she is so confused herself that I won't tell her what is actually in my hair because she wouldn't comprehend it. Some people take the hair thing too seriously!! And others are just in denial. I don't tell certain people, the ones that think black hair is bad and needs something to help it. They will never give you a break because they hate themselves. So you do what makes you happy! I learned throught the process of transitioning that some people didn't want to be my friend becuase I was going natural and when I went natural but straightened it sometimes, the natural people would be mad!! You can't win... just please yourself.

Im' here if you need to vent!!
    Nyka73 wrote:
    I had one person question me about my hair but she ALWAYS questione my hair and she is so confused herself that I won't tell her what is actually in my hair because she wouldn't comprehend it. Some people take the hair thing too seriously!! And others are just in denial. I don't tell certain people, the ones that think black hair is bad and needs something to help it. They will never give you a break because they hate themselves. So you do what makes you happy! I learned throught the process of transitioning that some people didn't want to be my friend becuase I was going natural and when I went natural but straightened it sometimes, the natural people would be mad!! You can't win... just please yourself.

Im' here if you need to vent!!

So true girl! Thanks

Hi CurlyPlus2,

I just want to note that I had the name of my hair softener wrong... it is New Options by the Crockett company. Again, so far so good.

Thanks
    Nyka73 wrote:
    Hi CurlyPlus2,

I just want to note that I had the name of my hair softener wrong... it is New Options by the Crockett company. Again, so far so good.

Thanks

Thanks girl. Still loving mine. The name is Joy-Joyce. My stylist said that it was introduced in New Jersey. I am in Florida, so no clue about that one.

• nobutterflynobutterfly Posts: 33Registered Users
    I'm excited for you. I'm starting to consider the procedure. You look great, Curly. Yet, do you have any pics, Nyka?
    4a/3c thick, soft, cottony and big when i dont finger coil. oval strands.

Nothing bends true passion. Fight and persevere. Dream. Remember not to laugh at other's ideas, they may be right. Shoot for the stars.
    Thanks nobutterfly!

• mslovelymslovely Posts: 6Registered Users
    hey i was wondering about this softner thing...is it like a blow-out kit or is it like a silkener? Or is it a relaxer..kinda confused. What is it exactly and how is your natural hair? Are the curls looser, the same but just softer, or straight?
    mslovely wrote:
    hey i was wondering about this softner thing...is it like a blow-out kit or is it like a silkener? Or is it a relaxer..kinda confused. What is it exactly and how is your natural hair? Are the curls looser, the same but just softer, or straight?

It helps to lengthen the curl in your natural hair, minimizes frizz and helps keep your hair straighter for straight styles. If I want to wear my hair curly, my curl is a bit looser than it is without the mineral softener but it still appears naturally curly. When I wear my hair straight (with help of the flat iron), I don't get a big poof from the summer heat and sweat. It's a cream and my stylist put it on my hair, sat me under the dryer 20 minutes and then rinsed. I can only speak for the product I used since I see these go by different names.

• CaribbiAmphibbiCaribbiAmphibbi Posts: 23Registered Users
    I'm not seeing anything about this softner. Where can I find more info?
    Black American, 3b-3c textured hair. Relaxer free for 2 YEARS!
    I've never been able to get any information on the internet, so I don't know.

Hi,

For my hair softener, New Options, go to www.crockettcompany.com. I will have some pics available soon.

So far still liking it, just remember to keep moisturized!!
    Thanks for the Info, Curly. I'll call the salon later today and find out more. :)

Ok. So I called and the lady gave me the phone number of the Company in NJ. The woman from the company said she'd find a salon in TN and call me back tomorrow....

Nothing bends true passion. Fight and persevere. Dream. Remember not to laugh at other's ideas, they may be right. Shoot for the stars.
  • juliafcjuliafc Posts: 1Registered Users
    This product sounds great. I might consider doing it. CurlyPlus2, you hair looks great. Nyka73, what type of hair do you have? I have long, 3b hair (slightly less tight curls on top, tigher underneath, naturally dry and fine), so I want to get an idea of what my hair would look like. I want to pull out some of the tight curl at the ends. The website says that when you relax hair, you lose some body/volume (I love volume!). Is your hair flat when you wear it curly? Is this a procedure that has to be done in a salon? Thanks for the info!
  • curlyinseattlecurlyinseattle Posts: 5Registered Users
    I found another hair softener. It's from this site: http://www.curlrelaxer.com/index.html

Does anybody know what the difference? Because if you check out the the FAQ section, some of their answers are word-for-word exactly like the answers on the other hair softener site discussed here.
    2B/3A
    Thanks for the Info, Curly. I'll call the salon later today and find out more. :)

Ok. So I called and the lady gave me the phone number of the Company in NJ. The woman from the company said she'd find a salon in TN and call me back tomorrow....

Great! Did they ever call u back?

I'm sorry I've been so long. The lady said that she would call me back and let me know if she knew of anyone in TN, especially near Nashville. I have not heard from her, so maybe she didn't have anybody in TN...

I'm sorry I've been so long. The lady said that she would call me back and let me know if she knew of anyone in TN, especially near Nashville. I have not heard from her, so maybe she didn't have anybody in TN...

That sucks. I'm sorry. The least she could have done is called you back and told you that she could not find anyone.

• canelacanela Posts: 218Registered Users
    for you guys that had this done, are you still liking it? has it dried your hair? how often do you have to do it? how do you find a salon to do it? thanks
    Hair type: mix of everything but bushy
    "Do not brush curly hair, it makes it look like bad scribbles"
    my 5 year old curly haired girl, now a teen
    canela wrote:
    for you guys that had this done, are you still liking it? has it dried your hair? how often do you have to do it? how do you find a salon to do it? thanks

I got my second application today. It's been 8 weeks since my last one. I have had no problems whatsoever from the mineral softener. I may be able to go longer between applications when the weather cools off.

I don't know how to find out which salons offer the mineral softener, but the others may be able to help you on that one.

so no dryness? and no stick straight hair? I am thinking of ordering my hair is really bushy...love my curls but need to calm the volume only
    canela wrote:
    so no dryness? and no stick straight hair? I am thinking of ordering my hair is really bushy...love my curls but need to calm the volume only

This does not dry my hair out. It is not strong enough to give me stick straight hair, but it does a great job at straightening my my roots/edges for when I wear my hair straight. The mineral softener, as my stylist describes, reduces the curl by 25% whereas a texturizer would remove about 50% of it.

thank you for the information..please let us know how it goes

Please post pictures of your new texture
  • denisemouniedenisemounie Posts: 255Registered Users

Hi nobutterfly!

I see that we have similar hair types... have you tried the New Options mineral softener? If so, what was your hair like. I recently got a softener, but my hair didn't change much. It is softer, but the curls aren't really defined. Let me know how your hair took... any info would be great!
    4a/4b... at this point, Henna has to be my friend, cause I've tried EVERYTHING else!!

Henna, Afro Detangler, KBB hair cream, Vitamin E oil, Qhemet AOHC, AND no more letting my hair dry curly... darn knots are driving me crazy!!:happy7:

http://public.fotki.com/denisemounie/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file